August 2019 Moms

Calling all Game of Thrones Fans!

1235»

Re: Calling all Game of Thrones Fans!

• @olivemomma I was also very surprised at first by the ordering of her dragon to kill all of those innocent people. After a few minutes of shock, I realized that she may have not trusted the bell ringing after agreeing to meet with Cersei 2/3 times to come to some sort of an agreement. The last time she trusted that it might work, one of her most trusted people was horrifically murdered. It's exactly because she is a woman that I could find some compassion for her after what she did. I'm not sure I'd lend the same level of empathy to a man and that's my bad. 

From my view in past seasons, she only did what was right when trusted advisors advised her. In recent times, she has stopped listening, and look at what she is doing instead. 

@sourlemon I agree with you that it has been there all along. Anyone and everyone can be overtaken by past trauma, grief, power, paranoia, or ego. Nobody is immune to that, not even she. One of the things I don't understand is why she feels the need to burn people alive. That is so so cruel. I see her as being exactly like the tyrants she seeks to rid her world of. 

@Twinkiedoll I'm not sure she knows what real love looks like. The first man, her brother, was horrible to her in all kinds of ways, and sold her. The second, Her Khal, raped her. Regardless of how that relationship ended up, it started with rape and ended in a witch poisoning him. Jon, after demanding that he bend the knee to her, finds out is really her Nephew, the rightful heir to the throne, and is jealous of the way people love him. None of that is love or anything healthy. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @suzycupcake You are so right about her not knowing about what real love looks like- I hadn't thought of it that way at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Can somebody explain to me what exactly Varys was doing that caused him to be executed for treason? Was it just that he was openly siding with Jon for the Throne, and spreading the whispers to other kingdoms about it? And Dany wanted to keep the information as quiet as possible?

In terms of the white horse that Arya rides out on in the end of the episode, I heard talk that the horse was possibly Bran... but not sure if that theory is accurate.
  • @flagchic By supporting Jon’s claim to the throne and spreading the truth about Jon’s lineage (he was writing notes to go out via raven, not clear if any actually got sent) Varys was committing treason. Treason is punishable by death in the GOT world. Although I agreed with Varys that Dany was losing it he knew the likely outcome from his actions - not sure why he was so ham-fisted about his machinations other than the poor pacing the series has suffered from.

The Bran worging the pale horse is a fan theory.  

The pale horse is also reminiscent of a bible passage where death rides a pale horse.

And there is apparently a prophecy told to Dany in the books about a pale mare.
    “The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.") 
  • @suzycupcake Healthy or not, she thinks she's in love with Jon and he has rejected her.  My point is that a lot of emotionally devastating things have happened to her in a short time, and she lost her support system. 
  • So we watch GOT on Mondays because, LBH, between me being preggers and Toddler who refuses to sleep much past 6a (when we don't have to get ready for the days until 6:45), we are in bed by/at 9:00. Overall, pretty irritated and disappointed by this entire season and while I wanted to hate on this episode, I'm slowly becoming more ok with it.

DH had a question about "how could Jon turn on her" and I was like ... did you not remember that chilly ass look she gave him at Winterfell after giving him that ultimatum? He realized any love she had was now tainted by the knowledge of his lineage and replaced with jealousy/anger that "her" throne could be usurped by someone she loved (even if he did not want it). At that point, there was no more love flowing from her end. Jon does truly care for her and is loyal, but he knows the sweet feelings they did share were gone after that point and he has to tread lightly because - after all - she is Targaeryn and has been known to flip a switch when betrayed. At least, those are my two cents.

I am pretty happy about that pivotal moment with The Hound and Arya, I agree that she realized those weren't "hers" to kill and she is ok enough with letting things happen as they may: The Hound would perish in a battle with his brother and Cersei really didn't have a way out. Not preferred, but there is a new threat on her list she needs to attend to: Dany. I haven't scoured the Internets over everything because I usually take Mondays off to avoid spoilers, but I do like the Horseman imagery/theory about Arya choosing to live so that she may take care of another who will cause harm/ruin for her family. However, I disagree that Arya will die doing it. I'm making a leap here, but didn't Aerys II suffer vivid hallucinations as he devolved into madness? I'm kinda hoping Arya uses Jorah's face to get close enough to Dany and ends her that way. Which would also kind of be fitting, given the historical alliance with House Stark. Another great turn of events - in terms of Dany dying - would be that last line in the prophesy @zamora_spin listed: the perfumed seneschal. I feel that's an undeniable allusion to Sansa (since we all know Arya would never wear perfume ;) ). Would be an interesting turn (given the love and loyalty she has re: Jon, Tyrion, Arya, etc.).

I think it would be REALLY interesting if the comment I read (I can't find it, but I'm more afraid of losing all of this that I've typed to search too long for it) about Cersei not being fully dead - I feel that's more Tyrion's destiny, to kill Cersei.

So now that KL is officially a pile of ash and there's no one left to rule over except the survivors in the North (and those along the way, most of whom have an allegiance to the Starks and made it clear they did not support Dany) ... how do the non-fighters and/or people of the North fare as - from what I can assume - Dany and her magically-repopulating Unsullied and Dothraki march back to Winterfell to claim the last stronghold in the Seven Kingdoms?
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Somebody also let me know that it was being hinted at that Varys was trying to poison Dany. If so, that implication went wayyy over my head. He was sending in somebody to monitor her eating, so I thought he was just being caring. But somebody explained that there was a point earlier in the series where it was stated that poison is a tool for women and eunuchs. Also, the little girl (Martha) was paranoid that the guards/soldiers were watching her, and Varys reminded her that the "greater the risk, the greater the reward." I think that this makes sense, the more I think about it. Varys knew what Dany was about to do, and he wanted to get the word out about Jon and save the kingdom before the firestorm that happened.
  • So disappointed 😢 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • aukeevaukeev member
    edited May 2019
    My Monday letterboard update at my office. 

ETA: In all reality, I'm not as disappointed as most. I felt it closed out each character's story appropriately, even though it wasn't the ending I would have chosen. 

• I'm happy with the ending.  Sansa got what she had always wanted.  Jon is off to play in the woods, Bran is king because he knows everything and Arya is Christopher Columbus.  Dany had to die. I was with her most of the show but in the end she went off the deep end of forcing people to see things her way.  The world would have been in chaos if she lived.  With her gone, it can recover without a tyrant.  
  • While the final episode and season on the whole had issues, I was satisfied with the final episode. I thought it did a decent job at wrapping up the story lines. Loved the final small council scene with all the characters in their new roles.
    The reasoning for exiling Jon was so weak. The only one who was really pushing for it was Gray Worm, then he and the Unsullied left Westeros at their first chance. Would have been better if Jon had chosen a life of exile to let Bran rule vs. the exile being thrust upon him.
    I think the biggest problem that I had with this season was the handling of some of the "supernatural" themes that they had been building up over the years. They didn't even address the whole Azor Ahai/Prince that was Promised aspect, even thought it was mentioned as late as last season. 

@oklahomak Love your letterboard! The actor that played Hodor was at a local comic con this weekend. My SIL was eating dinner at the same restaurant as him and snuck a pic of him in the background!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited May 2019
    I feel the same @Lotus_2008. Issues still abounded, but I feel most storylines were wrapped up and we were left with a sort of sense of a new beginning:
    1. Dany wanted to Break the Wheel, it got broke (TBH, she'd been on my nerves for the last season+: get off your High Dragon, lady)
    2. Sansa got her North
    3. Cersei is dead
    4. Brienne got her Knighthood (though I could've done without that useless scene, I was hoping it would've had HER entry in the book)
    5. Arya is off to live a life of her choice (i.e. not that of a Lady)
    6. Jon ... well, Jon didn't want any of it ... and that's what he got. I still don't think it needed the long scene showing it, but ... whatevs.
    7. We got to see Tormund!!!! <3 

ETA: Agree with the weakAF reasoning behind forcing Jon back to the wall. Like ... who the hell is Greyworm? Don't get me wrong, I love the character, but - who gives a crap what he/Unsullied want? And they left to go meet their ends anyway (the people of Naath - or the butterflies, whichever you believe - kill anyone not born there), so - why? Ok, confusion rant over :) 
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• I realize this is a minor thing, but, did Greyworm re-name himself? Davos called him something else in the Dragon Pit. Does that name have a significance? I know he kept the name Grey worm because it was the name he had when he was freed.

As for the ending, I'm still processing how I feel about it. I mean, it is what it is, but I guess I have the common complaint of the last 2 seasons. I wish we would've had more time with these characters to really understand their motivations. 
    I'm also pretty disappointed that Jon's lineage amounted to not much. It was basically the central mystery to the story and one of the reasons that the show runners were able to make the show, but in the end. it meant what? was it just used to drive Dany more to the madness? IDK. I believe that Varys did get those messages out and nothing became of it. 

One thing that was impressive was the look of this episode. Some of the shots were excellent. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Taken at surface level, Jon's banishment to the Wall seems boring. However...taking no wife, fathering no children...that will END the Targaryen lineage forever. Since the gods flip a coin when a Targaryen is born, ending the lineage is the safest thing to do for the entire realm/world/humanity. That is why I think the full counsil/king did it. It would have been better if the show explained that, instead of little Grey Worm fighting for a harsher punishment.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @Avrilmai - The "name" that Davos was saying what Grey Worm, but in Valyrian (instead of the "native tongue"), so not a name change. I also thought it strange that they would bring it up like 2-3 times in the episode.

@sourlemon - Agreed, ending *that* lineage will definitely ensure the Targaeryn line, but ... will it, given he went out with the wildlings?
    **History in Spoiler**

• @MamaK225 I LOVE Tormund! He's one of my favorites, and I loved seeing him and Ghost at the very end. 

Does anybody feel  like, even though he's technically in exile at Castle Black, Jon is getting the freedom he always wanted from being a "ruler"?
  • That was my thought, too @flagchic #imnoking ... Also, I was super happy to see Ghost, but I wanted him to have some sort of overly-human reaction like Drogon did, upon seeing Jon since his rude ass didn't even say good bye to him earlier. I'm not a crazy-animal-lady by any stretch, but I have a soft spot for those direwolves and Ghost didn't deserve that.
    **History in Spoiler**

• Okay I’m ready to get to my thoughts out other than just being “disappointed”

i actually thought it started well, I like Dani’s whole speech to her army and then Tyrion throwing off his hand of the queen pin. I didn’t even mind Jon killing her and seeming to change his mind in .2 seconds since that’s the pace of the last 2 seasons. However, the entire second half I hated. I thought the counsel was amongst the weirdest moments in the shows history. So the unsullied and Dothraki simply take Jon prisoner after he murders their beloved queen, send some ravens out and call a counsel meeting with all of the remaining lords in a country they really know or care nothing about other than conquering it and then sit patiently for a month for them all to show up?? ANd then they just jump on board with letting them choose a leader (who is really just chosen by their other prisoner Tyrion) and letting that leader decide the fate of the man they hate? They are then pacified by Jon going to the Wall (which why does the knights watch still exist?!). It made zero sense to me. I hated the scene and want to erase it from my memory but sadly can’t. 

And Bran the Broken becoming King? The man who has repeatedly said since becoming the three eyed raven he can’t rule over anything, lives in the past, and really isn’t even Brandon Stark anymore? And all because hes the keeper of stories?! I just can’t.

Also jons parentage was such a story line of the show and it ended up meaning nothing! I don’t care he ended up going North but being ordered to do so by his cousin to make Grey Worm happy was ridiculous. 

so ultimately bummed and I think it’s was amongst the least satisfying endings of any show, film, book, I have encountered. @oklahomak you are so right, Hodor didn’t hold the door for that crap. For me the show will end with the defeat of the army of the dead, the last 3 episodes I’m going to try to forget. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}