July 2019 Moms

Ask a STM+ February

Re: Ask a STM+ February

• @cindler typically no, unless they are concerned about fluid or baby's size. I had one in-office for a fluid check when I thought I was leaking waters and one in-office at 40+ to check size before scheduling a CS. 
  • @cindler with a typical pregnancy at my drs office, I believe the only ultrasound they would do after the AS is at 40 weeks to check on baby, and they do that along with a non stress test. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @mamanessen late to the game here but as far as cats, ours used to sleep in our room (or anywhere in the house the chose... but usually our room/bed). We initially didn't change anything with our first. It was fine and they left the baby alone. What ended up happening was that the baby started sleeping through the night and the cats would wake us up :expressionless: so we started putting them in our laundry room at night. We were not willing to lose sleep over cats when we had spent months losing sleep from the baby. 
  • @cindler as long as you measure okay at every appointment, there shouldn't be anymore. Although, some offices do a size check closer to delivery. Mine doesn't, but my last pregnancy I measured a little big with the measuring tape closer to delivery so they did a weight check which ended up being okay. 
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited February 2019
    @cindler it depends on your practice. Mine usually likes to do one more quick one to verify position, check size and fluid levels, see if they are practicing breathing etc (basically a quick growth ultrasound/NST) around 32wks. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @cindler for AMA moms there's a weekly biophysical profile from 35 weeks +. I found them nerve-wracking. 
  • @meandlittleb I second many of the things the other moms suggested for the hospital. I even got the same robe @tsa208 has! 😁  I'll add: 

-comfy bedding. Hospital sheets suck. I brought my own favorite sheet and pillow and it helped a lot. I was so hot by hour 40 of labor, the sheet was nowhere around to get bloody. Even the nurse complimented the idea.
    - birthing stool. I wish I had had the option of using one. That position felt natural, but was hard to hold without support.

As far as the registry, we never used the portable bottle warmer. The kid was fine with any temperature of bottle, as long as there was no waiting. He actually seemed to prefer cold bottles over room temp or warmed. 

Much luck on your new adventure!
  • @Cbeanz thank you! I couldn't think of the name of it for anything. I'm blaming lack of sleep ha! Biophysical profile! 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I'm late to this too...

With food we're lucky that DD LOVES veggies and salad. Because of my celiac status our meals are mostly veggies, soups, rice dishes, potatoes, chicken and gf pasta. All very simple. I never force DD to eat anything she doesn't want. She has never been a big eater and she does not weigh much despite being pretty tall (around 4 feet tall and 38ish lbs) but she will always eat when she is hungry. I always have veggies or salad or pasta noodles or something leftover in the fridge that I know she will eat just in case. Honestly I don't make food an issue and I don't mind heating up leftovers or throwing together a salad for her if that's what she prefers. She is active and healthy and that's my main concern.

I am likely I'm the minority but I didn't like the boppy. I never used it at all...only every now and then for tummy time. DD uses it for her dolls now but I wouldn't buy one again. 

Same for diaper pails. We just put a small garbage pail outside the back door and just threw the diapers outside immediately. It was easy and it worked.
  • @sarac986 I'm going to try to take DD to do as many of our normal summer trips as possible before baby comes. They are mostly day trips and not too far from home so it should be ok. I know she is going to miss our on a lot if our normal summer time fun this year so I want to compensate as much as possible ahead of time.
  • emills14emills14 member
    edited February 2019
    Our 2 cats were pleased with the crib and bassinet throwns we bought them. Had to cover those with fitted sheets to deter them before baby arrived. Then honestly... it was a natural transition. They know you smell different. They know a big change is coming of some sort. 
    Another key is relocating the cat box. Our cats and dog were totally cool with baby... then she got Mobil. Make sure the cat box is somewhere that’s easy to observe or block off from curious crawlers.  
  • So I will have 2 under 2 when this baby is born. DD will be 19 months. People keep saying I should try to potty train her before the baby boy gets here. To me it seems like it would be easier if she were still in diapers - I wouldn't have to drop everything to help her go to the bathroom everytime she needs to pee; at least the diaper can wait until it's a convenient time (like not in the middle of breastfeeding). Thoughts from moms who have been there?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tsa208 I am sort of there right now.  My daughter is 2.5.  There is a major push to potty train her by everyone else.  

She made it clear that she wants to be "bigger."  It's not really hard to change a toddler's diaper.  I am not pushing it.
  • @tsa208 my piece of advice is that trying to train kids before they express readiness will be way more frustrating and take a lot more time and effort than if you wait. Often if you try to potty train right before the arrival of a new baby, esp if the eldest is very young, can result in prolonged regression in toilet training. Most kids show readiness between 2-3, some between 3-3.5 or a bit later. 
  • @tsa208 I agree with @mamanbebe.  I’d make the potty available and talk about it, but wait until your kid is ready.  
    We made it available and talked about it around those ages, but waited until he was ready to really work on it which ended up being around 3. 
  • @mama_bear19 Ditto. I brought the potty out at 18 months and started offering to put him on the toilet for poops at that point. He would use it on and off between 2-3 and then at 3 we needed to get him ready for his new school, so I stopped buying diapers and it took about 48 hours for him to adjust. 

@tsa208 This may be helpful, but three things I remember as markers were a) do they wake from nighttime sleep and naps with a dry diaper? b) do they go long stretches between wet diapers during the day? and c) do they notice their dirty diapers? -- The goal is to get to a point where they are usually dry and mostly aware when they need to pee, often stopping what they are doing or taking privacy behind furniture when they need to go. I also did standing changes in the bathroom, which involved DS a little more in the whole act of going potty. Pull-ups are great for that because you can rip the sides to remove them but have your child help in the act of pulling them on like undies. 
  • @tsa208 19 months is still really young for potty training (though not impossible). My girl was ready and I barely got her trained around 24 months... It was freakin hard. My first was 19 months when DD was born and no way in heck he could have been ready. It's really not that bad having two in diapers. I wouldn't let anyone put pressure on you, you'll know when it's time to get started. 
  • key33key33 member
    edited February 2019
    My oldest was 21 months when our youngest was born. She wasn't potty trained and I didn't push it, she wasn't ready. With such a big change coming in having a new sibling she was going to have her whole schedule disrupted, I figured potty training at that time would just be even harder on her. When she was ready, she was ready and that wasn't until closer to 3.

Obviously,  less diapers is nice, but it wasn't like having the older one in diapers made everything worse. Potty training isn’t an instant process (at least it wasn't for us either time) it takes time and work for both the parents and the kids. It's easier on everyone if she is ready and wanting too. If she is try if it doesn't work, don't force it.
  • My DD just turned 3, we have been “training” in some form or another for 6 months but I just don’t think she’s ready and I refuse to push her when it’s clear she’s upset/frustrated. Ideally I do want her trained before baby gets here and I’m hoping with spring coming we can do more pant-less days and she’ll be more comfortable with everything. My peditirician said it’s not abnormal for some kids not to be ready until between 3-4 so I’m just trying to relax and see how it goes.

@tsa208 Personally other than the expense I do feel like diapers would be easier than a newly trained toddler, especially if your LO won’t even be 2 when new baby arrives. It might be more stress than it’s worth trying to train right now. I’d definitely just make the potty available and see what happens but definitely wouldn’t push at this point. 
  • @tsa208 Agree with all the others- 19 months is young unless she is asking/showing signs that she is ready (like dry diapers after naps).

DD started asking around 24 months but wasn’t totally there until closer to 2.5 years. The first months are effectively challenging having to run to bathrooms!! Wouldn’t want to do that with a new born :) she still sleeps in a pull-up (3) because she is a long, deep sleeper. We aren’t even close to stopping that...
  • @tsa208 another in agreement of waiting!!! My first two were 18 months apart. There's no way DS1 would have been ready and it would have been soooo stressful!!! We just now potty trained him and he is 2.5 and is doing great! Take your time, there is no rush! If you do potty train remember you'll be having to watch her like a hawk and worry about her needing to use the potty while you're feeding/changing/doing whatever with baby. 
  • Maybe a product spotlight thread but has anyone purchased a Delta nursery collection? It comes with crib, dresser, mattress, guardrail, glider,  mattress pad, and maybe something else. 
  • @asupernovablizzardstorm I haven't purchased (or even seen to be honest) what you are talking about, but how much is it? I'd look around and see if you are really saving before splurging on it!! 
  • @asupernovablizzardstorm I think I had their heartland crib and one of their changing tables. It was fine quality and held up. The changing pad that came with the table was a bit flimsy though so I used a separate one that fit. 
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited February 2019
    @asupernovablizzardstorm we bought a nursery set comparable to the Delta sets and while it isn't as heavy as other cribs I've seen, it's sturdy and has held up for 8.5yrs and 4 kids so far.

Ours came with the crib, changing table, and dresser. The dresser was the only thing that didn't hold up very well. 

, 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @ccmama3 these. They have different sets for different price groups. 
    https://www.deltachildren.com/pages/bundles
  • @asupernovablizzardstorm oh ok! It doesn't seem like a bad deal if you like/want everything in it!
  • How beneficial did you find a childbirth class if you took one? My hospital offers it, but it's pretty time consuming and we have a lot on our calendar over the next few months. That being said if people found it invaluable I will make the time....my SIL said she thinks its most helpful if you are going the natural route.
  • @jessg2223 It really depends on what the hospital class offers, and what you want to get out of it, because they are all very different.The hospital class I took was not very in-depth. It was a tour, a slide show and a Q&A. I also took childbirth education and breastfeeding classes through my OB's lactation consultant, who was a 30+ year labor and delivery nurse. Those were pretty intensive and good for first time parents. I don't believe that childbirth education is only for unmedicated birth though, you need to understand the process in one form or another, so that you aren't caught off guard and upset by what is going on. Likely your medical team is not  going to have the time to stop and explain everything in-depth while it's happening. 
  • @jessg2223 My hospital has the main child birthing class which is an evening plus a full day. That they touted as a "for everyone" class. Then they have the labor lab which is a different full-day course which is designed for natural birthing techniques. 
    The flow was this: 
    1. Hospital Tour
    2. Child Birth Class
    3. Labor Lab
    4. Breastfeeding Course
    5. Babies, Baths, and Booties (First-time parents skills) 
    6. Baby Makes 3 (New parent communication skills class) 
    7. Happiest Baby on the Block (Done after birth and covers managing a fussy baby) 

The first 4 were highly recommended by my OB. 
    They also have a boot camp for dads and a CPR class (I'm a certified CPR Instructor, so I'm skipping that one!) 

I think it would be worth it just for the opportunity to get to know the hospital and its procedures and what options you have available to you for pain management, etc. That was what my OB said was very beneficial in the Childbirth classes. 
  • key33key33 member
    edited February 2019
    @jessg2223 - Our class provided some good information. The teacher was a labor and delivery nurse with a lot of experience. We did a hospital tour, went through the basics of labor and delivery, slide shows, videos, breathing exercises and relaxtion techniques.It was a few hours once a week.

It was very informative, unfortunately most of it ended up being completely irrelevant to me. My water broke at home in the 38th week and that was never covered in class. We were specifically told “that doesn’t really happen, especially not to first time Moms. First time Moms usually have long labors”. My labor was spontaneous and escalated quickly once my water broke and was short. I also didn’t have pains prior to my water breaking, so I thought I was still having Braxton Hicks up until that point. 
  • @jessg2223 I found it very helpful! And my husband especially did because he hadn't been reading everything online like crazy like I was. It was also really nice to be able to see the Labor and Delivery area of the hospital, see the rooms, etc. I'd definitely encourage it for first time parents!
  • @jessg2223 I'll be the odd man out here...I didn't take any classes and honestly didn't feel I needed them at all at any point during my labour and delivery. The one thing I did find incredibly helpful was that I had an appointment with a lactation consultant a few months before labour. She showed me how to breast feed properly and for me that was the best thing in the world. I think it depends on what you feel you need. But don't feel it's something you have to do if you don't want to or don't have the time.
  • jessg2223 said:
    How beneficial did you find a childbirth class if you took one? My hospital offers it, but it's pretty time consuming and we have a lot on our calendar over the next few months. That being said if people found it invaluable I will make the time....my SIL said she thinks its most helpful if you are going the natural route.
    I found it very helpful and I might take a refresher since every birth is different. I wouldn't say I was nervous about birth, but learning more about the stages demystified the whole thing. During my labor and birth, I recognized and remembered a lot of what was covered in class and that kept me calm to really understand what was going on during my 19 hour labor. It was helpful for my husband too. I read a lot about birth and babies. My husband, while excited, was not about to read a bunch of birthing books so it was a lot of new info for him.

I also took a breastfeeding class and if I had to choose between one and the other for sake of time, I would choose the breastfeeding class. It too was very helpful and breastfeeding is harder to learn about from a book. You could cover a lot of the birth class in a good book.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't do childbirth classes either and never felt like I missed out.

I do would do a hospital tour just to know where to go when it's time to deliver. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Thanks everyone!
    We are planning on taking the breastfeeding class, infant care class, and my hospital offers a tour as well. I'm already planning on doing these so I'll ask my OB at my next appointment her opinion as well. 
  • I didn't take a birthing class but did do a breastfeeding class which was great. I'm so glad DH came too because he realized how much actually goes into it and the teacher stressed that the breastfeeding mom needs lots of snacks :)
  • +1 never took a childbirth or breastfeeding class. Might have been nice, but it was never in the schedule or budget. I don't feel like I missed out, and the few breast feeding issues I did have were handled by the lactation consultant and nurse in the hospital.  
  • I took a 12 week hospital childbirth class.  I loved it, hubs loved it, and it helped me mentally prepare for all the options I was going to be presented with, at that specific hospital.  But I can't stress enough how much I learned from reading actual books.  Not all the crap on the internet, or all the garbage you get from apps, but books on labor and delivery.  I would recommend:
    Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Birth - Henci Goer
    Childbirth without Fear - Grantly Dick-Read
    Guide to Childbirth - Ina May Gaskin
    Guide to Breastfeeding - Ina May Gaskin

I also read some books that I wouldn't recommend like Girlfriend's Guide (complete garbage), What to Expect when You're Expecting (didn't learn anything new), Dad's Pregnant Too (entertainment purposes only).
  • I watched probably every episode of TLC's "A Baby Story"....does that count towards childbirth prep?