October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    jhokaj524 said:
    Hey all! Would it be appropriate to make a discussion thread for sharing our announcements? Just want to make sure that said thread doesn't already exist. 
    There’s a thread around here for it somewhere 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • @cmbt2 I figured. I'll look for it!
  • Loading the player...
  • melanier26melanier26 member
    edited April 2019
    @jhokaj524 There is one, it may be buried 

ETA nevermind I just saw that you found it!
  • Thanks ladies! Found it!
  • Do you eat before bed, even if you’re not hungry? I was going to but realized it’s been 4 hours since dinner. I feel a bit gross after eating now but I try to avoid having to eat in the middle of the night bc it wakes me up too much 
  • @melanier26 I eat before bed if I’m remotely hungry. I skipped it before thinking I’d be fine until the morning. That was a huge mistake!
  • @melanier26 always! And something with a good protein content. It makes the morning much more bearable. 
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• alinic916 said:
    Suggestions for a formal dress, or even just where to get one? My mom won an award and I'm going to the banquet with her May 11th. I feel like I'm still going to be in that awkward bump phase. No clue what to wear! I didn't see much for formal dresses on Pinkblush that I liked. 
    @alinic916 Seraphine is a great option for formal dresses if you don't mind spending a bit of money on it. I bought two work dresses from there that fit me now and have tons of room to grow for months yet, and absolutely love them. 
  • @melanier26 I don’t always do and I pay for it in the morning. I try to eat dinner early so i can have a high protein snack before bed, but it doesn’t always work out that way.  It helps with feeling queasy in the am.
  • +1 for snacking before bed! If I don't, I am starving when I wake up in the middle of the night to pee (which is always) and then harder to fall back asleep when I'm focused on my empty, rumbling stomach.
  • Anyone drink red raspbery leaf tea in their past pregnancies starting in the 2nd tri?  I never drank it with my last two but my midwife suggested it this go around. I go 10+ days overdue and long ass labors so the thought of this tea helping to shorten labor by having stronger, more effective contractions is appealing to me! I was reading Mama Natural’s blog and her amazing results (though of course could be coincidental). I started drinking 1 cup a day this past weekend at 14 weeks and feel slightly paranoid that I’m feeling crampy (though could easily be gas and I’m just being paranoid! Ha) . Would love to hear anyone’s past experience with being consistent with drinking it! 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    jal88144 said:
    Anyone drink red raspbery leaf tea in their past pregnancies starting in the 2nd tri?  I never drank it with my last two but my midwife suggested it this go around. I go 10+ days overdue and long ass labors so the thought of this tea helping to shorten labor by having stronger, more effective contractions is appealing to me! I was reading Mama Natural’s blog and her amazing results (though of course could be coincidental). I started drinking 1 cup a day this past weekend at 14 weeks and feel slightly paranoid that I’m feeling crampy (though could easily be gas and I’m just being paranoid! Ha) . Would love to hear anyone’s past experience with being consistent with drinking it! 
    Yes. I did with both. I went past due with my first but was induced 6 days early with my second. My labors were short (just under 10 hrs with DS1 and just over 2 with DS2), but there’s no way to know if it was the RRL or not. I don’t drink it straight- I get tea with it in it. I had a ton of B-H with DS2 starting in second tri. With DS1, I waited past 30w to drink tea with it and had no B-H, but started in early 2nd tri with DS2. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • jal88144 said:
    Anyone drink red raspbery leaf tea in their past pregnancies starting in the 2nd tri?  I never drank it with my last two but my midwife suggested it this go around. I go 10+ days overdue and long ass labors so the thought of this tea helping to shorten labor by having stronger, more effective contractions is appealing to me! I was reading Mama Natural’s blog and her amazing results (though of course could be coincidental). I started drinking 1 cup a day this past weekend at 14 weeks and feel slightly paranoid that I’m feeling crampy (though could easily be gas and I’m just being paranoid! Ha) . Would love to hear anyone’s past experience with being consistent with drinking it! 
    I make big pitchers of RRL iced tea and drink a few cups a day starting the back half of 2nd tri. I also start throwing dates into my smoothies and snacking on Lara bars around that time for the same reasons. 

My my first was a scheduled CS (breech), but my second was a super smooth, short, easy labor. Maybe it contributed but who knows! FWIW I place much greater value on getting baby in optimal positioning and your hips in alignment through chiropractic work during pregnancy. 
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @PenelopeSnuz77 agreed on the optimal positioning! DS1 was sunny side up, but DS2 was optimal. It was night and day with my contractions 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 @PenelopeSnuz77  so definitely sounds like it’s possible it helped but just no way of knowing for sure ha - I agree with chiropractor care and positioning too. That’s something I definitely am going to do more of this go around. Maybe I’ll just hold off on the tea until a little further into 2nd tri. 
  • @jal88144 I drank RRLT with DS and think it was helpful in toning my uterus, though no real way to know for sure. My cervix was very uncooperative during my labor, but once I was finally fully dilated DS was out in one and a half pushes. I like to think the RRLT helped with that. This time around I will be looking into ways to better prepare my cervix for delivery because that experience was not fun. Like others, I'm also waiting to start RRLT until probably half-way through 2nd tri - probably after the anatomy scan.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• @mrsinterweb, I’m with ya there- not fun at all! 
  • Is there anything safe and actually effective for pregnancy acne? 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Is there anything safe and actually effective for pregnancy acne? 
    This one you’ll have to google for sure, but certain OTC ones have not been linked to birth defects. 

Only one I know for sure that is a no is retinol

I use salicylic acid as spot only treatment since I can’t use benzoyl peroxide. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Is there anything safe and actually effective for pregnancy acne? 
    I like the Belli brand face wash, and it smells nice and citrusy! I bought mine online through Ulta, but you can get it through their site too, with 15% off using OVIA15 as a code (I found that in the Ovia app).
    DD 10/2019
  • cmbt2 said:
    Can I be the odd ball who actually enjoyed her induction way more than her non-inducted labor? 
    I was induced with both my older ones. The next day after my son was born would have been the 2 week overdue mark for me. My daughter came 4 days after her due date. For both it was nearly 2 full days of induction. I will do everything I can stomach this time round to try to have this baby come out on it's own😂 I don't want all the needles and the laying in the bed away from home for so long again 😂😂😂

• I know many of you get headaches and magnesium supplements have been mentioned a lot. I mentioned headaches at my appointment yesterday and the midwife said to try some caffeine and then Tylenol if needed, and if that doesn’t work by my next appointment they might send me to the neurologist.

For those of you who take magnesium, did you do so at the recommendation of your doc? I don’t want to take something without it being recommend from my dr to me but I’d rather take a supplement than be taking Tylenol a lot
  • @melanier26 my doctor recommended it my last pregnancy for headaches. I never stopped talking it after since I have chronic headaches and migraines 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @melanier26 yes, they recommended it. I already drink caffeine and am allergic to Tylenol. Magnesium isn’t commonly found in a prenatal, as it is
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @melanier26 Yes, my doctor recommended magnesium for headaches.

Also, I know I mentioned this previously, but for anyone suffering with headaches, Excedrin Tension Headache has both caffeine and acetaminophen (Tylenol) minus the aspirin found in Excedrin Migraine Headache, so that's an option if you choose to try that route.

And something I've learned the hard way: stay hydrated. Lack of water can increase headache frequency and severity.
    DD 10/2019
  • Magnesium was recommended by a friend who does crystal healing as a sleep aid because I was having a lot of issues there when I lost my job a few years ago. I discovered the headache correlation once I started it. 

Magnesium is more a preventative measure. Tylenol and caffeine would be considered abortive measures (as by that time you already have a headache)
  • Dr prescribed me 2 81mg of aspirin a day. Is this too much? Started it on Tuesday
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Dr prescribed me 2 81mg of aspirin a day. Is this too much? Started it on Tuesday
    What’s the reason?

If the doctor prescribed it, then no, it’s not too much. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Dr prescribed me 2 81mg of aspirin a day. Is this too much? Started it on Tuesday
    I am on 81mg a day on Dr's recommendation. It's a low-dose.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• @prpl11butterfly my naturopath "prescribed" magnesium when I was having insomnia issues a while back! It helped so much! 
  • edited April 2019
    Hi moms,  I just had my 12wks ultrasound and results from bloodwork and due to my low papp a, I'm high risk for down's (1:298).  Baby also had a high heart rate of 182 so risk for platau is also high (1:10).  I'm doing the cvs on Tuesday.  Any moms going through this and results were good (or bad)?  I'm worried about my baby.
  • I have a wedding coming up on may 4 so I'm in the same boat. I ended up going up a size in the dress I originally bought and it seems to work out
  • Family history of clotting and my Protein S activity is just a little low, though dr says nothing to be concerned about. Put me on aspirin as a precautionary but I keep reading everywhere take 81 mg, not 2 so just worried it's too much. Of course he's a dr working at a high risk maternity care so I should just trust him. Still, made me worry. Everything has been so healthy so far. Had an ultrasound on Tuesday (11 weeks) and baby was kicking and spinning, heard the heartbeat fir the first time and it's a strong 170 right now♡
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Family history of clotting and my Protein S activity is just a little low, though dr says nothing to be concerned about. Put me on aspirin as a precautionary but I keep reading everywhere take 81 mg, not 2 so just worried it's too much. Of course he's a dr working at a high risk maternity care so I should just trust him. Still, made me worry. Everything has been so healthy so far. Had an ultrasound on Tuesday (11 weeks) and baby was kicking and spinning, heard the heartbeat fir the first time and it's a strong 170 right now♡
    No, I don’t think that’s too much. Every MFM varies on what they want to do. I’ve seen every where from one aspirin (which is what I take) to lovenox or heparin injections for the same issues I have. I also had blood work that indicated low protein S among other things
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • STM+ Did any of you switch into different bras while pregnant? I started out fairly large chested and they are getting quite a bit larger already. With my other three kids I only had issues with my nipples being super sensitive and that could be mostly fixed with adding soft breast pads to my bras. They only got huge after baby was born and I was nursing. This time around they are huge and sore all of the time. I’m wondering if switching bras will help or not. I definitely need support because I’m large chested and a fair amount of padding or breast pads because my nipples are still very sensitive, so I guess I’m asking for advice or suggestions from those who have dealt with this issue. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @sweetteaandswingsmama I always have to switch my bras when pregnant. They grow tremendously and no way they’d fit in my prepregnant bras. Go get new ones!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 did it help with the pain at all? Did you just switch to a larger size or a different type of bra all together? Honestly I’ve been thinking about switching to a supportive sports bra but I would really rather wear a normal supportive bra if I could find a comfortable one. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @cmbt2 did it help with the pain at all? Did you just switch to a larger size or a different type of bra all together? Honestly I’ve been thinking about switching to a supportive sports bra but I would really rather wear a normal supportive bra if I could find a comfortable one. 
    A bit, but the pain is also normal as they grow. I wear regular bras. Sports bras are not my thing 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @sweetteaandswingsmama I always go up in size during pregnancy and usually my pregnancy boob size and breastfeeding boob size are the same. Definitely go get some bras! If you need it to be more supportive, I’d go with a good bra in a larger size and not a nursing/maternity bra as I don’t find them to be as supportive. My last pregnancy I went and got fitted and it made such a difference. 
  • @sweetteaandswingsmama Mostly just echoing what others have said, but I did go buy a new bra in a size up in both band and cup. I still just went with a "normal" underwire bra with light padding, but honestly, you'll be in it enough over the next 7 months and likely after birth, too, as it usually takes time for you to drop back to normal (and sometimes the change is permanent!). Your comfort is key!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers