September 2019 Moms
Options

Baby Names!

Re: Baby Names!

• Options
    @oregonmomming love the name Miles!
  • Options
    Alright, if you know me IRL just shut it, k? :P 

We're team green and still have and love our girl name from last time. We're feeling stuck on the boy name though (they're so hard!). Since a bit before we found out I was pregnant we've liked this name, fully knowing it may not be well liked here in the US. Well, now my H is having doubts as its such a "boy" name and does it translate well for a man? I think its fine and still love it!

Alfie. Not short for Alfred or anything, just Alfie. He'd have 2 middle names as well so plenty of name options should he someday feel it's too nick name like. We already have a Henry. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe Sometimes I think we get in our own heads with naming. While I definitely think there are some names that are not well suited for adulthood, they are few and far between and more extreme names that maybe shouldn't have ever been names to begin with. I don't think Alfie makes that list. I wouldn't think any less of a grown man named Alfie, and if he wanted to go by Al or a middle name he could. Try not to psych yourself out!! 
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe I love @duewithpu2's response. I think she is totally right and that we do get in our heads. I don't think Alfie is too little boy. I can totally imagine a cool adult scholarly Alfie! I am having the same problem with the girl name we had pretty much decided on. We love Gemma, but then I read that people think of it as a rich stuck-up girl name and it is totally giving me second thoughts. So I'm going to take Duewithpu2's advice and not over think it! 
  • Options
    I love Gemma!
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe FWIW, I know a woman whose real name is Katie.
  • Options
    @kgg2241 I'm glad you found my advice helpful! I love the name Gemma! I think its so classy, definitely not stuck up!
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe Love the name Alfie ♥️

@kgg2241 I've only ever known one Gemma, and she was lovely! Super down-to-earth.
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe Alfie is great! 

@kgg2241 I adore the name Gemma!! So beautiful and classy sounding. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    @kgg2241 DD is Gemma 😃 We always get compliments on how pretty of a name it is. She occasionally gets called Jenna if people mishear and we have gotten it misspelled as Jemma but honestly this is super infrequent. Obviously I'm biased, but I say use it!
  • Options
    @mommyshark13 that's good to know! I am 90% sure we will name her Gemma. I was just over thinking it. 
  • Options

I know I still have plenty of time but I'm really starting to think we are just going to name this poor kid baby boy!  We are so stuck on what to name him, nothing sounds or feels right or we can't agree on one. 

I've always liked the name Alexander (especially how it's pronounced in Portuguese) but Alex rhymes a bit with our last name and I'm not sure I'm totally okay with that (though certainly better than William Williams who I went to school with growing up!). 

It has to be a name that is easily pronounced in Portuguese and Spanish (me and my husband's families languages) and go well with our other kid's names (Tobias David and Amalia Rose).  We've got nothing!

• Options
    I'm about 90% sure we're going to end up with one of these 3 combinations:

Samuel Cohen
    Leo Cohen
    Cohen Van

DH is non-committal to any. I might just have him draw one of these 3 names out of a hat. My only hesitation with #3 is that my brother's name is Chiron Van (pronounced Ky-Ren) and Cohen Van is vveerrryyyy similar sounding. Leo and Van are family names and Cohen was going to be angel baby's name. It feels right to honor her. 

However I'm struggling with both Samuel and Leo because they're within the top 50 baby names of 2018 and I don't want my kid to be one of 12 Sams in his class :( 

Also at the top of my list but DH can't stand:
    Collins
    Davis
    Warren
    Oliver
    Beck
    Sullivan 
  • Options
    @nomangos23 I love Cohen as a first name, but I might be biased 😜
    My only suggestion with Samuel is make sure you’re really ok with anyone calling him Sam or Sammy as I think people just automatically shorten names as they please. Even with my Cohen he has somehow become a “Coco” 
  • Options
    @duewithpu2 Actually our last name starts with Co, so if we named him Cohen he'd for sure be Coco. Which I don't mind as a kiddo but wouldn't want him being called that in his professional career. Those nick names stick too! My sister, named Ivy, is still referred to as Pooter... Poor thing lol 
  • Options
    @nomangos23 DS will always be my little coco bean/coconut! 
    I think it’s super sweet to honor your angel babe :)
  • Options
    @nomangos23 I love all of those names! I wouldn't worry too much about a top 50 name. I feel like Samuel and Leo are still not overused and I rarely hear of other kids named each one. I know of only one other Samuel and one other Leo! 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    edited May 2019
    @nomangos23 The top 50 nowadays isn’t like how it was when we were kids - there is so much more variety in names now.

eta - I like all your names. I think it is absolutely lovely you are honoring angel baby.
  • Options
    @lillywonderland @zuuls_mom That's a great call out! I didn't even consider quantity in popularity! That makes me feel much much better
  • Options
    I am having a hard time finding names that really jump out at me. I thought it was hard naming our daughter. Now we have two boy names to come up with. 
  • Options
    @themadcamel I am so intrigued to hear how that goes down, please keep us posted! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    Can we talk about the cutest new name on the block? Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor?!

I've always loved the name Archie (comic fan) and considered it for Henry's first name (Archer), but opted to use as a middle name instead.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    I honestly don't like Archie, I can't imagine calling a grown man archie 
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe like Amy Poehler's son ♥️. I don't think anybody could guessed that name for "Baby Sussex" (barf what a nickname haha), which is kinda cool! I know two people with kids named Archer (1 boy, 1 girl). 
  • Options
    DH has a friend named Archie, I’m not a big fan, but it is better than the alternative of his full name “Archama” 
  • Options
    I am in love with the name Archie for a royal baby. George was just so blah
  • Options
    I was underwhelmed at Royal Baby’s name. I would have preferred Archer or Archibald as his “real” name and use Archie as a nn. 

Also, is it just me, or does Harrison seems so Hollywood? I get that it literally means “Harry’s son” but still.
  • Options
    @lillywonderland Haha I hadn't put that together! Clever of them. 
  • Options
    @lillywonderland ITA with liking Archie more as a nn for Archibald. But not my kid so 🤷‍♀️  I was just glad they didnt use Phillip after Harry's grandfather bc I have a Phillip and dont want it getting super popular.
  • Options
    LJMoon6LJMoon6 member
    I don't care for Archie either but I do like Harrison...

Last night we stumbled upon the name Alaric. We both really like it. But then I started thinking about potential nicknames and I hate them... Al. Rick. Nope. Would you guys not pick a name just because of the potential nn?
    *TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    @LJMoon6 unfortunately yes. I’ve nixed so many names because of a potential nn. I generally try to pick names that can’t be shortened for that reason or with a nn that I’m ok with. My name is Kaitlyn which is what I prefer, but all my life I’ve been called Katie or Kate by people who just assume it’s ok. 
  • Options
    @LJMoon6 Yeah, I agree with @duewithpu2. I LOVE William so much, but would never name my kid that because I do not like Bill/Billy and I know I can only control so much of the nicknames...when school comes it’s a whole new ballgame.

So, since we’re having a girl I desperately want Jane to be her middle name. My favorite Aunt’s name is a variation Jane and she’s never married or had kids so I sorta want to honor her and I think it is super classic and beautiful!! DH isn’t super in love with it, and I don’t know if I am going to be able to convince him. Waaaaaah!!
  • Options
    @lillywonderland FWIW - if it is something you love, where there's a will, there's a way!  My SIL has a William.  During her pregnancy, it was determined (by her) that he would go by NN Liam.  When he was born, we all called him Liam.  Around 2ish, he was diagnosed severely autistic and his therapists said it was hindering his development being called by a NN because it was confusing for him to process and understand.  So we switched to William.  And now he is ONLY William, to everyone.  No nicknames, not ever.  I can't promise what will happen when he gets older, but so far, it hasn't been a problem at all! 
  • Options
    NN don't have to be used.  DS is Nathaniel, and only goes by that and he is 7.  When people call him Nate or Nathan he doesn't respond because he has never been called those names. 
  • Options
    LJMoon6LJMoon6 member
    Ya, makes sense. You can't really control the nn people give. And who knows, maybe LO will like being called one of the nn more anyways. Ok, follow up question. Do yo think people WOULD shorten Alaric to Al or Rick. Or is the name unique enough that people wouldn't automatically think of those nn?
    *TW* TTC history

4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising

• Options
    @LJMoon6 I don't tend to (and feel like I don't notice people) offering up nicknames for given names that aren't 'super typical' and majorly associated with said nn. a la Katherine... Samantha, etc.  And even then, I feel like most people would say 'do you prefer X' instead of just starting to call them by a nn?  I would not assume a nn for Alaric unless I heard someone else call him something else.
  • Options
    @LJMoon6 if anything I would think Al but I don’t think it’s something people would automatically do. It is unique enough. Just out of curiosity is it pronounced Al-are-ic or Al-air-ic? I’ve never heard it before!
  • Options
    LJMoon6LJMoon6 member
    edited May 2019

@duewithpu2 You bring up another problem, will people know how to pronounce it… I will shamefully admit that the first time we heard this name was on the TV show Vampire Diaries. That’s how I would pronounce it (al-ARE-ic or maybe ah-LAR-ic, I'm terrible at phonetic spelling). Emphasis on the middle consonant. Here’s a clip from the TV show of him pronouncing his name (you can skip to 30 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AXs2UhUJM

*TW* TTC history

• Options
    @lillywonderland I love the name Jane! I wanted it as a top contender for a girl, but DH isn't having it either.
    Me: 31 │ DH: 30
    Married 05/26/17
    STM; DS 9/14/2019
    EDD 6/13/2022