June 2019 Moms

Weekly randoms 12/3

Re: Weekly randoms 12/3

• It snowed about a foot since saturday night. Happy Monday 
  • @canuckbaby and to think I was complaining about 4 inches!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @lovemesomemonster so i am working from bed today lol. Its not so bad except they dont like clearing the roads till the snow stops so I am sure its a train wreck out there. 
  • Failed my 1 hour glucose test by 2 points. Guess who gets to do the 3 hour test now? I scoped out the single outlet in the waiting room last week, so at least there is that 😆

I grew up with snow and moved to Las Vegas. We live less than 45 min from a ski resort though (yes, Vegas has a ski resort with real snow!) so we go up there and let the dogs play and call it “winter optional.” I miss it though! Other than driving in it 😫😫
  • @pigglesworth A ski resort near Vegas? Mind blown. Is there a mountain nearby that the resort is on? I’ve literally been to Vegas once and I didn’t pay attention to the surrounding area. I just assumed it was flat.

Speaking of snow, I finally get the entire week off at Christmas AND we’ll be near multiple ski resorts, and apparently downhill skiing is a no-no during pregnancy. Boo. It’s been YEARs since I’ve gotten multiple days of skiing because DH doesn’t ski and we live in a city with no car. Next year, I guess. 
  • @pigglesworth wow you took the glucose test early. They won't let us take it before 24 weeks at my practice.

• @amaren-2 yeah I was 10w 5d when I took it last week. I am in the obese category and my a1c was a little high before getting pregnant

@Bababatty Before moving here I thought it was flat too! 3 mountain ranges surround us, Las Vegas sits in a valley. Mount Charleston is about an hour from the strip. My house sits at 3000’, and the last couple years I have gone back east for Christmas, it dusted snow at our house here, but was warmer and rainy at my mom’s! Feels so weird! 

• @canuckbaby You got more snow than us, but I know it's coming!  We've been lucky in that it has been pretty mild, hovering around freezing, but there's still enough to make a snowman.  I know we get it every year, but why does it still seem like a shock every time it happens?!  Working from bed sounds awesome...it was still dark and snowing when I drove in this morning! 
  • Something went down in the FFFC and I missed it and no QFP. I need an update! 
  • lol sorry, I haven’t been following! @emeraldcity603
  • @wearyfuzzball you so should!! I think thats a very cool idea. 
  • Bababatty said:

Speaking of snow, I finally get the entire week off at Christmas AND we’ll be near multiple ski resorts, and apparently downhill skiing is a no-no during pregnancy. Boo. It’s been YEARs since I’ve gotten multiple days of skiing because DH doesn’t ski and we live in a city with no car. Next year, I guess. 
    ::whispers:: I'm going skiing the week of Christmas but sticking to solid blues for early morning runs only. No n00bs, no ice, freshly groomed snow, etc. The rest of the day I'll be in the lodge knitting with tea. I'm not even close to showing yet, though. 

• @harrierwife My family has a ski trip planned the week of Christmas, and I really want to ski. I’ve considered doing it, but DH doesn’t feel comfortable with it, so I probably won’t.

Also, speaking of MH, he has a man cold today, so I’m wishing that I could just fast forward through the next week. I can sort of handle it when I’m feeling fine, but with both of us feeling terrible, it’s going to be a difficult week. I have no patience for him being cranky over a cold he just got.
  • Could you guys send some snow to TX please?  DS has never even seen real snow!  And he's 4. 
  • I had enough snow in Winter Park. 
  • I'm with you @sparklingdiamond....I've always said I loved winter and snow but I also only lived where winters are pretty mild compared to you ladies! 
  • @antera23 oh no I'm sorry but I'm glad he's okay!
  • @antera23 oh no! Glad he is okay and that you weren’t in the car! Poor guy!
  • @harrierwife That’s good planning! It was to do it, I’d make a similar plan for getting there early. Sadly, I know my family will not make it out the door fast enough. And, like @kjr9519, it will make DH uncomfortable, so I’ll live vicariously through you! I did realize I could rent some snow shoes so I’m not stuck in the lodge the entire time.

And knitting! Yes! What are you working on? Are you planning to make anything for baby? I’ve had some false starts on a stuffed lion and now I’m too tired to knock out the next gauge swatch since my first was off.

@antera23 I am so glad YH is ok and that you weren’t in the car! Also super frustrating about the other driver; I hope it’s not a huge hassle to work out. FX for no more ER visits for you all!
  • ugh DH's truck wouldnt start this morning. We need a new one before may anyway but I was really hoping to wait till tax return time. Luckily DH is handy but I feel like every 2-3 months we are sinking a couple hundred into this stupid truck. grrr.
  • Thank you guys! 

I just noticed the August BMB when I logged in! Anyone else celebrate when a new month is added? Lol. 
  • @harrierwife that bunny is adorable!! I’m a very beginner level knitter, but I would love to be able to make something like this one day. 
  • harrierwifeharrierwife member
    edited December 2018
    @tjthegoat - Frankly, if you can cast on, bind off, increase and decrease, you could probably manage something like that with a lot of patience. There are so many great resources online these days - knittinghelp.com in particular. I actually taught myself to knit by taking a project I was motivated to make, taking it slowly and step by step, and Googling the crap out of things that were new to me. At worst, you hate it and then all you do is unravel it! 

EDIT: I'm probably going to start this in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know what I think if the pattern for beginners. 
  • @luckystar28 I hope your dog is ok and it's an easy fix!! And many thoughts for happily stroller-bound, occupied toddler! 
  • I plan on taking my 4 year old skiing this winter. I started skiing at 4 and I want to introduce him to it. I figure we'll just be sticking to the bunny slope and doing a half day so it won't be too bad. I went skiing at 23 weeks during my first pregnancy and it was fine. I was cautious and kept it slow. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @harrierwife yeah, I can do all that but I struggle with keeping track of where I am in the pattern. So if I have to count too much, if gets tricky. 

@luckystar28 FX that the vet trip goes smoothly and it’s nothing serious with your pup. 

• BababattyBababatty member
    edited December 2018
    @harrierwife I had pinned that bunny! I thought about doing that instead of this lion, but the intarsia scared me. But this lion has a lot of fiddle bits and I did a test while away for Thanksgiving (since I didn’t have the right needles) and it ended up being a lot less scary than I thought, so I could probably handle intarsia. I think i’ll like knitting stuffed animals because there are smaller bits and I get bored if I don’t change it up. Hence why my baby blanket is also taking a very long time. I haven’t been getting nauseous while knitting, but it does make me tired so then I end up asleep on the couch.

I bought a book called What to Knit When You’re Expecting. So much for starting any of the first tri projects, lol!

@TJtheGoat One idea is to print a copy of the pattern and then highlight every time you complete a row. I’ve been doing that for a blanket I’ve been working on for a friend. And do you have a row counter? Then you can just click off the rows and avoid the pesky counting.
  • @bababatty I hadn’t thought of highlighting the pattern. That’s a great idea. I will try something a little more adventurous and see what happens. 
  • Holy smokes, got zoned in at work today and am just now catching up.

@antera23 YIKES! Glad YH is ok. That sucks.

@luckystar28 I hope your puppy is ok! And that you feel better, maybe with some fresh air?

I hate snow. So, so, so much. We got another snowstorm on Sunday and that was seriously irritating. I have AWD on my car now (got a new one in October) but our snow removal is an absolute joke here -- they don't even start plowing or doing anything until the snow is DONE, and as a rule they don't do any residential streets. So my neighborhood is an ice rink right now. Thankfully I've been able to work from home for the most part the last two weeks.

I also wish I had the patience for knitting...definitely more of a crochet-er. I can see my progress SO much better and it's so much more mindless for me. Have been working on a huge blanket/throw for my sister's couch for a while now, but it's great for something to occupy my hands during away basketball games when I'm watching them on TV (keeps me from snacking as much, too).

• My teenager drove my husband's car into the garage door today! 😖
  • @emeraldcity603, oh no...friends of mine were just talking about how expensive teenage car insurance is, too...how is the car/garage? Is your teen ok?
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker