May 2019 Moms
Options

Randoms 11/26

Re: Randoms 11/26

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds can egotistical be a diagnosis? Bc whoa. Like she is legitimately too egotistical to function emotionally.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge it's unreal. She's using statistics from freaking 1978. And I'm sorry. I still can't get over even CONSIDERING endowment in conceiving a child. Just... Wtf is wrong with her? And that BS in pre-med. Good grief. I took a lot of the same classes for a BSN. I got my ADN, but it was a pre-nursing degree which required all the prerequisites to further my education and get a bachelor's. Hmm. Do you think I can go to forums and tell everyone I have a pre-nursing degree and therefore know so much more than them? 🤔
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds I am about to start nursing school and have taken A&P 1&2 and microbiology and stuff so BASICALLY I'm already a nurse.

Like, your degree is not relevant. I have a bachelor's in economics and took tons of stats courses and wrote tons of statistical papers but I by NO MEANS think I'm better at stats than anyone else. Many people are fully capable of reading and understanding a scientific study. And just omg, arguing with everyone. Get ova yourself. The amount of times I rolled my eyes whenever "scientific community" or "statistical community" came up omg 🙄🙄🙄

• Options
    @megsb615 I'm sorry to hear about your husbands grandfather. That's hard. 

We havent announced yet. I think it would be cute to do something christmassy like you mentioned. I was going to wait until christmas and do a gender reveal at the same time but our AS isn't until Dec 27th so now I'm not sure what to do. 
  • Options
    Aside from Thanksgiving craziness,  the reason why i've been MIA lately is because of DD. 
    She's still trying to remove her diaper when we put her to sleep in her crib.  And because i've been too exhausted to be patient with her,  i've been letting her sleep in our bed.  Bad move,  i know! 
    Well now,  she's used to it and will deliberately start pulling on her diaper so that i bring her to bed.  
    Because of that,  I can't be on my phone and that's my prime time to catch up on all the threads.  

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds I mean, I have a bio minor, so I'm basically a doctor, right?

kids with flags
  • Options
    @ibanezstarburst New Years announcement! 
  • Options
    @brie_and_almonds I mean, pretty much 🤷😂
  • Options
    mrskoz428 said:
    @nopegoat I am so glad things looked good! How exciting.

Just read through those threads and holy shit that woman needs a fucking Xanax. Like, why do you even care if your son sexually satisfies their partner. That is NONE of your damn business. Also, loving the comment about how she gets guys asking her out all the time. She’s psychotic. 
    LOL as someone who was on Tinder etc not that long ago, literally any woman with a pulse gets that. I had hundreds of matches and I'm 37 with a kid (you know, basically half dead according to that nut job  :D )
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @nopegoat YAyyyyy!

My favorite part of that thread is that she thinks she'll be able to work with a baby and take it to meetings. LOL you can tell she hasn't had kids yet. Oh, and all the responsibilities that she listed are just things of having a baby....she has no idea the MENTAL LOAD and operations manager role you play once kids come along. Both things that unexpectedly slapped me upside the face with my first one. 

To be fair, her 'job' is running a marijuana farm/shop, so...not sure the meetings she attends are super professional.  :D

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds That sounds like a terrible evening, but super happy your BFF was understanding and your husband was being awesome! Big props to both of them and to you for wrangling 3 kids + your own + dog(s), all while being pregnant and moving! 

This may get long..

DS has yet another ear infection, and it perforated his ear drum again. It makes me feel like a terrible mother, but he has never acted like ear infections bother him, so I never can tell when he has them. He doesn’t mess with his ears and is no more fussy than he usually is, so it’s super hard to know.  He got his first ear infection this year in February at 18m, and it perforated his ear drum, and March-May, he had reoccurring ear infections. We had a referral to the ENT in May, and his hearing is fine, the perforation had healed, but his adenoids were enlarged and they recommended they needed to come out along with getting tubes. They basically left it up to us to decide. I was hesistant to do the procedure before he was 2, so we decided to wait and see how things went. All was fine until about a month and a half ago when he got another ear infection. We took him back to the doctor a couple of weeks ago for them to recheck his ears, and they said his ears look fine. Now, here we are again with not just an ear infection, but a perforation again. 

.....TW.....

A couple we were friends with in college went through losing their 2 year old son about a month ago due to complications from a tonsillectomy.  

End TW

I am terrified of DS having to get tubes and adenoids removes now. I cried about it twice last night. My anxiety is through the roof thinking about it. It also doesn’t help they are from the same area we are, so now I’m wondering what doctor did the procedure. I KNOW they would have used a recommended doctor. I’m just sick thinking about it. So I guess my question is.. does anyone have any recommendations to keep ear infections away? DS already takes allergy medicine once a day. Also, anyone have kids that had to have adenoids removed? I’m not as familiar with that procedure and would like to hear some real life experiences if anyone has them. 
  • Options
    @megsb615 I'm so sorry, that is very scary. And especially having a horrible tragedy like that happen regarding something so similar. My son was 8 months when he had his first surgery (he's never had adenoids or tonsils so I can't speak to that), it was a 3-3.5 hour surgery to repair a defect on his penis. I was beside myself. I didn't have any medical experience at that point, so I only knew what the doctor told me to expect. A big fear with surgeries young is the anesthesia, as well as the airway collapsing due to intubation. I did clinical in recovery for peds a while back and I won't go into detail on my experience, but the staff is well trained, the anesthesiologist stays with your child after surgery to monitor breathing, and your child is assigned a nurse (in peds it was 1:1) to monitor, check vitals, and perform any emergency protocols if necessary. 

My son went through his surgery and came out beautifully. He had another at 14 months for a similar but unrelated issue and also did amazing there. Both scary. Both had me in tears. But both were completely necessary. What that couple went through is completely horrible and terrifying but not the "normal" outcome of these procedures. I highly recommend seeing a professional, and even a second opinion. Asking a million questions. I personally don't know much about how to prevent ear infections beside the tubes. I have a couple friends whose children went through having their adenoids removed and tubes placed (there were a few in my first birth board) and they were all very successful. 

Whatever you decide, we're all here for you. It'll be okay, momma. 
  • Options
    Okay, I just went to the loss board to read the posts from the chick on the botb, and my 2 psychology classes I took tell me she may have borderline personality disorder. 😂 I've actually done a lot of research on the topic specifically, but I would really be interested in seeing a mental health assessment on this chick. It was another post I read and was like "wtaf did I just read?" 
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds Thank you! That makes me feel better hearing a little background about the medical staff. I know I need to just keep telling myself that what happened to them is not common. I’ve heard tubes is a fairly quick procedure, but I’m not sure about adenoids. It’s just been a rough week, and my emotions are all over the place. Thank you for sharing the experiences with your son also. 
  • Options
    @megsb615 Gosh, while I certainly understand your anxiety after your friends having an experience like that, please know that it is an extremely rare situation. Also, a tonsillectomy is different than an adenoidectomy. The recovery is much easier and faster with just removing the adenoid. 

My kid had his tonsils and adenoid removed when he was 22 months because he suffered from severe sleep apnea. To my knowledge, this is one of the only reasons they remove tonsils in a child that young. We had to stay overnight and his oxygen was closely monitored. There is a very real risk of obstructed breathing following a tonsillectomy (much less risk, if any, with an adenoid due to it's location). Plus, kiddos who are having tonsils out at that age already suffer from obstructed breathing due to their physiology, so hence the extra risk. 

All that is to say that while I totally understand and don't discount your anxiety, I think there are a lot of medical reasons why the two situations are somewhat dissimilar. I bet if you talked to an ENT about your concerns, they can give you even more info about the differences that might put your mind at ease. I suffered from chronic ear infections as a kid and didn't get tonsils and tubes until I was closer to 8. I now have some permanent hearing loss and a lot of scar tissue from many, many ruptures. Unfortunately, if your anatomy is causing these problems there's just really nothing you can do other than to correct the anatomy. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    sleepy33 said:
    @nopegoat YAyyyyy!

My favorite part of that thread is that she thinks she'll be able to work with a baby and take it to meetings. LOL you can tell she hasn't had kids yet. Oh, and all the responsibilities that she listed are just things of having a baby....she has no idea the MENTAL LOAD and operations manager role you play once kids come along. Both things that unexpectedly slapped me upside the face with my first one. 

To be fair, her 'job' is running a marijuana farm/shop, so...not sure the meetings she attends are super professional.  :D
    haha can you bring babies to the smoke circle?  :D
  • Options
    @megsb615 Im sorry to hear that your son needs surgery.  I had my tonsils removed when I was four and this was overseas so I really can't comment on how it's done over here. What I can tell you is to certainly voice all of your concerns to the doctor,  if it's a good doctor,  they will discuss all of them in detail.  I also recommend you asking your friend which doctor they had used and possibly getting some more details about what went wrong with their child.  It'll be a tough conversation but the parents I would assume would be understanding of your situation and would want to help.  

• Options
    @megsb615 Regular Chiropractic has been shown to help with ear infections. Craniosacral therapy has less conclusive studies, but helps some. Adding probiotics and reducing dairy can help with some of the drainage that contributes. Also, if they are more typically viral (more common, and usually less responsive to antibiotics), then using garlic drops in the ear can help. If you are doing tubes, there are some ent's that can do it with sedation instead of anesthesia, I think it is called a hummingbird procedure. {Chiro, no dairy, and garlic drops have helped DD. We haven't gotten to the point of tubes yet, so that is the extent of my personal experience. But I work adjacent to the pediatric medical field and ended up hearing about the surgery alternatives...} 
  • Options
    I am going to try really hard to avoid that crazy thread on BOTB, because if there's one thing I cannot tolerate it's ill-informed people with delusions that they are all-knowing.

My friend is being induced today (41 weeks). It's her first kid. I have all the fingers and toes crossed for her!
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    Y’all are the best.. seriously!

@sleepy33 That makes me feel much better. I do remember the ENT doctor telling me they wouldn’t remove his tonsils while they took out his adenoids because it was more invasive and in his case unnecessary. He also said the recovery was quicker and easier for adenoids too. I definitely realize we have to do what’s best for him if that’s what the ENT recommends. I know it has to be painful for him, and obviously don’t want him to hurt or have any hearing/scar tissue issues. Thank you for your thoughtful post! I’m hoping I’ll feel better after speaking to his pediatrician and ENT about it. 

@expandcontract I wish I could ask her, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable with how recent it all happened. We also only talk when we happen to run into each other, so it’s not like we keep in touch through text or phone calls. I feel confident with the ENT we have already seen, but I wouldn’t mind having a second opinion, so I may ask for recommendations on Facebook. Maybe she’ll reach out to me if she happens to see it. 

@optbaby2017 Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll have to look into those! 

• Options
    @megsb615 late to the game here and you've already gotten much better info from ladies than I could have given. I will say that me and my two siblings all had surgeries when we were younger. My brother had a hernia and my mom researched and took him to a doctor 45 mins away in Boston because the surgery has a small risk of making you sterile if done incorrectly on males. (Side note: oddly enough DH, had the same surgery with a doctor in our city as a young child as well, not in Boston, and we've gotten pregnant our first month trying with both pregnancies so all ended up fine - my brother and SIL also got pregnant after 6 months of trying, so good all around). I got tubes around 5yo (the ear infection pain is some of my first memories). My sister had a misdiagnosed UTI that almost killed her but she had her surgery at Children's in Boston at age 2. My mom worked in the medical device industry so familiar enough to do research and have people to give her recommendations on doctors who are the "best" in varying procedures locally/in Boston. Your friend's experience is tragic and devastating, and it absolutely makes sense that you'd have anxiety, Logically, we know it's so rare for things like that to happen but still scary.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    sleepy33 said:
    😂😂😂
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    Update from my meeting with my boss's boss yesterday. Sorry this is long and takes a turn:
    I made it through the first 25 minutes of our meeting with super good career direction conversations as well as highlighting points of my job that are strategic that she's not familiar with. Then we were talking about getting our team to integrate more with the rest of her organization since we - by nature of what we do - don't have as many natural intersection points. I usually go in 1-2 days a week since most of my team is remote but have been in twice since my SCH/modified bed rest. She asked how frequently I've been coming in (not as an attack, just curious) and I told her I was pregnant and have been on modified bed rest so I've been working from home a lot more and then started crying just thinking about trying to explain what was going on with the bleed. I'm usually okay talking about it - told my boss just fine over the phone about 4 weeks after it happened but I think I was having a weirdly hormonal day. Anyways...she's British and thinks it's crazy we come back to work after 4-6 months. We chatted about pregnancy for a bit and a little later on she said "let's put taking on any more responsibility on hold until after your maternity leave" which just really pissed me off. I mean, logically, you can't have me take on ownership of something for a few months then have someone else manage it for 4 than have me take it back...it doesn't make sense. My boss and I work towards expanding my role and she's amazing at helping push me, whereas whatever her boss would help with would be more project management that isn't necessarily a natural fit for my role, but I do like and think that kind of experience would help me long-term. She's a working mom of two but in the past said she took a step back when her kids were really young. She's a C-suite exec now so when they moved from the UK to California for her last job opportunity, they decided to have her husband stay home so they've really doubled down on her career which is great. Her attitude about maternity leave and being a mom of really young kids seems to align with mine from a work-life balance perspective but also conflict with my goals at the same time. Another exec/mentor of mine who is her peer also has a SAH husband and I almost feel like their attitudes hurt the women who work for them. They are the only 2 female members of our C-suite and it's discouraging that both have SAH husbands and seem to think you can't be a mom and career focused with 2 parents who work. *end rant*

• Options
    @megsb615 Sooooooo many of the babies from my other board (probably around 15) have gotten tubes and were going to daycare the next day! 
  • Options
    @kvh22 Always comforting to hear the good experiences majorly outweighing the bad ones. I was really hoping he would “grow out of it” the older he got, but I guess we’ll see what they say. And I’m so irritated for you and sorry the meeting took a different turn. I can’t even imagine how frustrating that must have been. Your boss seems super supportive. Would it help for her to talk to her boss more about it? 

@SpaceBurger That’s reassuring to hear they were back at daycare the very next day! I want to say the ENT doctor told us he may only be out 2-3 days due to the removal of his adenoids, so that wouldn’t be too bad. 
  • Options
    @kvh22 am I reading that right, she's mad you guys get 4-6 MONTHS off? Not weeks?

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    Edited to change the tag to not me *pregnancy brain* @sleepy33 haha the opposite. She got a year but only took 9 months. Can't imagine going back at 4 months because it's too soon. In Europe a year is standard maternity leave.

• Options
    I just. can't. stop. reading that thread with that lady in it
  • Options

The thing with ear infections isn't necessarily the infection that gives need for tubes. I did extensive research when we were having facing the situation. If a child responds to antibiotics with fluid draining, they tend to just continue treating. Tubes usually are the course of action when the child's ear canals won't drain the fluid. DD2 had 8 ear infections in her first year of life, and they didn't always respond to antibiotics. She also continually failed her hearing tests. Since the surgery, it has been a game changer. She used to be snotty literally *all* the time. She currently has her first cold right now, the first in SEVEN months, which is huge. She also hasn't had a single ear infection since, she's passed every hearing test, and her speech has improved immensely. I know it's scary, especially given your friend's experience, but it was *so* beneficial for us. My daughter is a different kid now, she was pretty miserable from pain before, and I'm so glad we made the decision to go through with it.
    Yes, thank you, this is what I was trying to say earlier but you phrased it much more clearly. There are things you can do to try to minimize phlegm production, etc, but if the Eustachian tubes are closed, there will be infections. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    kvh22 said:
    Edited to change the tag to not me *pregnancy brain* @sleepy33 haha the opposite. She got a year but only took 9 months. Can't imagine going back at 4 months because it's too soon. In Europe a year is standard maternity leave.
    Bless. I was back 6 weeks after a c-section. Maybe she needs to run for office to address that and leave you to pursue your career goals?  :D:#

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @megsb615 I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy and his ear infections! I've only had one once and I still remember how shitty I felt. I can only imagine what it's like for a tiny little kid! Did your ENT say the surgery should happen now because of the risk of the ruptures, or that you could wait a bit and see? As for adinoids, I know that is a super quick procedure, but don't know anyone who had the surgery. DH had his tonsils out as a kid, but he remembers it so he was probably at least 5-6 (and it would have been the 1970s, so not really as relevant to today.)  

@kvh22 I totally understand your frustration at that suggestion at your boss's boss meeting. Perhaps she was really trying to be respectful of your sch condition (even if she didn't know what specific condition you are on modified bed rest for) and trying not to add stress that might exacerbate the issue. I would suggest a follow up with her, either in person or email, and explain your thoughts on this issue  and why you feel like you would be up for this challenge at work and still want the responsibility. Just because you have to hand things off in May for 3-4 months and in modified bed rest doesn't mean you aren't the right person to do the job.
    What I would suggest is for you to perhaps suggest being the project lead but bringing in someone else who may be able to be your EXO/2nd in command to help develop and execute the work when you are away so they won't need to be brought up to speed. That way you can have job satisfaction to keep you engaged and on track, and you show leadership qualities by suggest a solution that works for you and the company.
    I wouldn't necessarily assume (unless she said it or the tone strongly suggested) that she doesn't think you're capable or her to pick to do this work. She might just be trying to give you space recognizing that you have a lot going on, but you can let her know in a nice way that you can speak up if there is too much work than you are able to handle given health or other issues. 
  • Options
    @SpaceBurger is it still going???
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds OH, it's still going STRONG

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds I am now totally on board the personality disorder train for the BOTB chick. We should become internet psychologists. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Redundant, but it just doesn't stop
  • Options
    @SpaceBurger WHY CAN'T I STOP READING IT THO

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @sleepy33 CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP