June 2019 Moms

Ask a STM November

123457»

Re: Ask a STM November

• @meatballs37 I feel like your body does remember what they are suppose to do because my milk has come in faster with each baby. With DD2 it was in by the time she was 24 hours old. Plus I didn't have much engorgement. 
  • Had a question, and since December is almost over it didn't seem like it was worth it to start a new thread for this month... DH and I actually started looking at flights for a little "last hurrah" babymoon long weekend. Of course it will be Southwest so we can cancel at the last minute if we need to, but I'm so excited even just thinking about it as a possibility. BUT -- I'm worried it might be a little too late by the time we can actually go. At what point in your pregnancies were you just over doing anything?

We're eyeballing a few days in Disney World, a PawSox game up in Rhode Island (DH worked there for a couple summers during college so it's sort of a last pilgrimage there before the team moves out to Worcester), or both, which is what we did in September a few days before Baby was conceived (a few days in Orlando, direct flight to Providence, and then back home to Nebraska a few days later). My second trimester is basically the second half of the basketball season, so we wouldn't be able to go until April. My EDD is June 25, so later in the month at least, but I'm a little nervous that our timeline might still be too late to do much of anything (at the latest we'd be looking the week after Easter, so I'd have 8 weeks to go; my OB puts a moratorium on travel at 36 weeks, as do most airlines I think). I don't want to overshoot and assume I can do more than is realistic, but I obviously have no idea how pregnancy feels as we get further into it. Any insight from STM+ moms?
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally I would think you would be fine to travel. You may not be able to walk around at Disney as much as you would have before pregnancy but that also depends on how active you are prior. I think if you go into it knowing it will be slightly different then you will have a blast! I had my son at 35 weeks and never hit the miserable stage. 
  • Just get a wheelchair rental for wdw if you need to lol @ki1244
  • I did travel in pregnancy, but I can offer a bit  of advice on the “done doing anything” stage. I was due July 12th last time, and by May I was done. Done cooking, done cleaning, done walking, and done breathing. Everything just took a ton of energy. And I remember the change being pretty dramatic. One week I was fine, the next I was over it. If I had to wage a bet I would say that early April with late June due date will probably still be ok, but you will be getting to the big and uncomfortable stage. If you’re ok with modifying your plans, taking it easy, and just doing what you can you should be ok. To me, WDW sounds like a lot of walking. And maybe I’m missing something, but you can’t ride most of the rides pregnant can you?? It’s been years since I was at an amusement park but I thought even like swings and teacups say not to ride if your pregnant. Maybe there’s enough else
    at Disney you could do to make it fun. I’d personally save that for when you can take the baby and they can enjoy it too, and opt for something more low key (like a spa day, or some easy sight seeing, or beach flopping). The game sounds like a great idea though, and definitely doable in April. 

While we’re on the subject of vacations, am I completely
    out of my mind contemplating going camping in early/mid March? We went camping at this great little lake like an hour from the house last year and I would love to do it again, but ya know, pregnant. It will be tent
    sleeping on the sandy/ish ground. Probably just one night. I guess we could always come home if it’s that bad, but I know DS would love to go again and it’s way cheaper than trying to plan a fancier vacay (though maybe I should just do that). Anyone camp? Is it even worth thinking about? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @tuxielove93 Disney is for sure a lot of walking (which we'd need to scale back, of course...), but you can totally ride most of the rides while pregnant! It's just the roller coasters that would be off limits (and I'm not a teacups person anyway). And there's enough other stuff -- shopping, restaurants, the Flower and Garden festival at Epcot (with all the little pop-up kitchens to taste our way around the world), pools at the resort -- that I'm not worried about being bored, just that I won't be feeling up to even going at all.

Going during pregnancy TOTALLY wouldn't preclude going with baby down the road -- my parents took us and my sister's family there in May, and we're all going again in 2021 (so this baby will be almost 2, which is the age my nephew was in May). But it's our little happy place...between March 2017 and September 2018, we went 8 times (and we live 1500 miles away...although granted, four were work trips for DH, I just got to tag along). Whether boy or girl, our names are Disney-related, and I know it technically doesn't work that way but 40 weeks back from my EDD we were in Disney World...so we're considering this our Disney baby.

I just pulled up a calendar and the two weeks we're kind of eyeballing are the first and second weeks of third trimester...if I start training now, maybe it'll be more realistic by April? LOL
  • @ki1244 I would totally book it, especially if you can cancel if something happens. Although check with southwest, some airlines don’t allow you to travel without a drs note after 32 weeks. Now everyone is different but I didn’t slow down with my DD. We didn’t go on a trip but I definitely could have. We just booked a family vacation for end of March. I’ll be 30 weeks and we are spending a few days at disney. I’m only concerned with keeping up with DD so since it’ll be just you and your DH I would think you can change your pace as needed. I do regret that we didn’t travel enough before DD. 
  • I went to Disney World pregnant with my second. Loved every second of it, even the walking and heat although I would make it clear to others and most importantly yourself to take breaks and do as much or as little as you want. Sit in the world showcase and snack on glorious food with the best people watching or take all the fun rides (the TTA is amazing while pregnant) or just enjoy good restaurants and the pool. 

I used to own a disney timeshare at bay lake tower - I wish I would have fought for it in the break-up lol. If I did nothing but sit on that balcony and watch the fireworks it still would have been a perfect vacation. 
  • @ki1244 I stand corrected. Disney isny my thing lol. Never been to Florida, went to Cali when I was like 9 and clearly dont remember much. If we ever take the kids it would be a one time special thing. I hope you have fun then! Sounds like you love
    it ☺️
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • We for sure love it...I just have no idea what to expect when it comes to whether I'll feel up to it. Southwest just "advises against" flying after week 38 (which, if I'm capable of getting off my couch or moving from the spot directly in front of my open fridge at that point, I'll probably call it a win) so as long as my OB is cool with it, and assuming no complications between now and then her policies seem as though she would be, I'm in the clear. I just wanted to hear how others did with energy levels and wanting to travel and such around that time frame! Super helpful, and I feel a little better about potentially booking it now. :)
  • So, not the same thing as a Disney vacation, but I was able to be the maid of honor in my sister’s wedding while pregnant with my oldest at 35+4. I then flew back to Hawaii from Boston at 35+6 because most airlines (I don’t know Southwest specifically, but this aviation policy in general) don’t allow you to fly after 36 because of the risk of labor while in flight (so I was on a deadline to get home in order to give birth! Haha). Anyway, my point is, it’s defiitely doable, even that late, both the activity and the flight. More relevant to you: I flew home to Boston from Hawaii at...maybe 28 to 30 weeks? Somewhere in there, in order to get home for my sister’s wedding. Some things to keep in mind:

Wear compression socks. I didn’t on the flight out and my ankles were the size of tree trunks when I got off the flight. It took HOURS and a lot of water, walking, and sitting with my feet elevated to get them back to normal.

Get a doctor’s note clearing you to fly. Hopefully, you have no need of it, but something I’ve learned with the military is it is always always always better to have the documents you don’t end up needing than to need the documents you don’t have. The moment you don’t have them, you will need them.

Do some quick research of the area to see if what hospitals take your insurance, just in case. Again, probably over cautious, but better over prepared.

Make sure you get an aisle seat. I got stuck on a window from Seattle to Hawaii (6 hours) sitting next to a lovely but very elderly and very motion-restricted couple and couldn’t get up to walk or pee at all during the flight. I was not a happy camper on the flight.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KissMeImScottish that's such great advice! And these flights would be MUCH shorter than a Hawaii to Boston trek. :) gonna Google hospitals near there now...we wanted a Disney baby but maybe not THAT kind!

@Dcwtada it just sank in what you said -- you had a DVC at Bay Lake Tower?!?!?! Holy smokes. SO jealous!!! DH and I talked about doing DVC once upon a time, but our usual "home" resort (Port Orleans Riverside) isn't on it and is still generally priced well enough that it made more sense not to. But it was awfully tempting. Haven't stayed at the Contemporary since I was little! Almost did in September but we had the chance to stay at the Grand Floridian for $200/night and that's where DH's seminar was anyway, so we jumped...maybe someday.
  • Echoing those who have said “book it!” I never felt totally “done” with DD although I went 41 weeks. It’s definitely a lot like senioritis - I didn’t WANT to do a bunch of stuff but things I wanted to do, I had the energy for, just at a slower pace sometimes. As long as you know to listen to your body and take it easy, I think it would be a great trip. Definitely take precautions against swelling and blood clots - get up and walk every hour or so on the plane and compression socks are a wonderful invention! Plan to spend some time relaxing, people watching, etc. 
    At the beginning of third tri you should be in pretty decent shape assuming you don’t have any complications. I would just make sure things are able to be cancelled/changed! I wish I’d done more traveling/spontaneous things before we had DD. 
  • Go for it! I didn’t start to feel like I hated running errands or doing anything with DD until 36ish weeks. But she was born at 37 weeks. Had she gone to 39 or 40 weeks, I think it would have been later. 
  • I was due in January and we still went home for Thanksgiving. We did a babymoon weekend when I was 36 weeks. I was really active my entire pregnancy and ran up until 35 weeks. I never felt done.

I live in Florida, I've done Disney pregnant. Honestly, It is really hard. Sometimes you just want to sit down and there are no benches, or the benches are taken up by other people, who may not may not be kind and let you sit.

It's magical, but I was done with it after we went to the food and wine festival (begin of third tri)and I was miserable. If you do plan on going, plan for short days, half days with plenty of pool time, and make some reservations at the spa. (Swan and Dolphin is nice). 
  • @ki1244 it was the best, we were choosing between that and animal kingdom - it being on the monorail and being able to walk to the magic kingdom was huge. Plus the rooms and decor were so perfect. My ex and I were those creepy Disney people, going twice a year with no kids lol. DH isn’t a big disney guy, we have only gone a couple times but now that my oldest will be turning 5 and 4 next year we are going to make yearly trips with the older two. He isn’t a big disney guy at all but he did love the disney cruise and wants to do that once a year too but unfortunately I don’t see us getting another DVC timeshare.

i love port Orleans! I stayed in the French quarter before and we do so again in a heartbeat. My favorite value resort is Caribbean beach which is probably were we will stay if we fly down (otherwise we take the RV and stay at wilderness which actually was much nicer than I thought!). We had an absolute blast at the campground. 
  • ki1244ki1244 member
    edited December 2018
    @Dcwtada they JUST redid Caribbean Beach and it looks GORGEOUS. For a longer trip I would totally give it a whirl...but if we only do a couple days, we'll stick with something smaller (so most of our walking is relegated to a park!). We did French Quarter in March of 17 and I loooooved it, but the pool is so much smaller there than Riverside (plus no quiet pools) and DH prefers the theming at Riverside anyway. If creepy = twice a year with no kids, I shudder to think what we are (only one of our 8 trips the past year and a half were with kids). ETA - on a Disney cruise I think kids have to be 6 months, but they're allegedly really baby-friendly (obv haven't experienced that myself yet but what other agents have told me), and they'll actually custom-make baby food for you on board. Leave it to Disney to think of that...

@amaren-2 that's good to know too! Although TBH we did Food and Wine in September and I wasn't even pregnant yet and by 5 I was over it. Everyone was just sloppy after that, and I had had like two drinks all day (and DH doesn't drink) so it was like being the sober people at the party. We've been to Flower and Garden a few times and it never seems like THAT much of a s***show. But maybe we'll aim more for midweek instead.

Sounds like you were all pretty active the first two trimesters too though? Better start getting my ass in gear. Hello motivation...
  • @ki1244 yeah, food and wine is just sh*t show. Lol flower and gardens is nicer, but watch out for spring break kids and senior night.  Week days are better. If you can swing it I'd say stay at one of the Epcot resorts. My fsfavorite thing in the world is to stroll over to France and get breakfast before the world showcase opens. But, I hate Disney buses so I try and avoid them of at at all possible.
  • ki1244ki1244 member
    edited December 2018
    @amaren-2 Hmmm...I do hate the buses too. May need to see if we can swing an Epcot resort (we've stayed at Boardwalk and Beach Club -- and at the latter we were actually upgraded, on the house, for our anniversary...they gave us a suite and club access and it was MAGIC). That walk to Epcot is sooooo nice! I actually was working remote while DH was at a seminar there when we stayed at the Boardwalk, so I took my laptop over to France and worked in the shop in the back for a few hours and had the place basically to myself. (And then when people showed up, I walked back over to the Yacht Club and worked there over a salad and a bourbon flight.)

Ugh I could just daydream about this all day.
  • I know this is all giving me disney fever! 

The cruise is amazing for if you have kids. We had my daughter when she was 8 months and my stepson when he was 8 years. The nursery is fantastic and lets mom and dad have dinner, an excursion, a swim or catch a show with no worries. My daughter who is very sensitive loved every minute there! The also have different themed kids clubs with really cool games, activities and even an arcade and science lab (and they give your child a wristband so they can’t leave unless you pick them up or if you allow them to leave it notifies you), a sports complex, late night movies at the pool. And the free room service at almost any time was amazing, it was a smaller menu but it had the basics and they were great (pizza, sandwiches, salads, snacks and breakfast foods). We ordered every night just because we could.

They just made everything easy and fun no matter what you wanted to do. I had spa trips and the adult only deck was great when you wanted a break from your own and every one else’s kids lol. Everything was so cool, even at dinner there was interactive shows and paintings. There was a cool detective/scavenger hunt my stepson loved (and believe me at the time he was too cool for Disney 😉). Castaway cay was amazing for too many reasons to list. 
  • I agree!! This all makes me want to go to Disney, but I think it mostly just makes me excited to take my LO to Disney. Hah she can’t get here soon enough!! I know my parents are just chomping at the bit to go to Disney. They are DVC members so when we go it’s going to be a big “thing.”  My mom will probably plan like 9 months in advance. I think maybe we will decide to go once she’s over a year old. I want to indoctrinate her early for Disney. 
  • We did a Disney cruise right after high school. Our grad present from my parents was getting to pick a vacation, and that was mine. The ONLY downside was that, when we went, I had turned 18 but my sister was just a few months shy of it...so when my parents went to the adult-only areas at Castaway Cay, I could have gone too but didn't want to ditch my sister, so we were by FAR the oldest in the kids/tweens areas. The counselors basically just left us alone and chased around all the 9-year-olds they were in charge of, and we had the beach to ourselves, but probably would have enjoyed it a little more a few months later. Oh well, we didn't know what we didn't know. And everything else was so great, that wasn't that big of a deal anyway.

DH is pretty strictly a land guy, although someday we might try one of the Adventures by Disney river cruises. (This, of course, will be after we hit the lottery.)  But I don't see a cruise happening for us anytime soon. That's ok...got enough to do in WDW to last us a while anyway!
  • Alright STM+ what are you all thinking that you need new for this baby? I have a running list going so I can spread costs a little (though I'm not coming up with a whole lot). But things like I want/need cause I'm sure I tossed my bottle brush, cradle crap comb, etc. But I am sure I'm missing stuff. What are you all thinking?
  • luckystar28luckystar28 member
    edited December 2018
    @dntstpbelieveing I know I definitely need a new crib, car seat, a double stroller, a new rocking chair, and the necessities like bath towel, infant bath (we got rid of ours), diapers, new bottles, need to check on what swaddles I kept, as well as how much in terms of small clothing I have! 

ETA: Amazon baby registry is pretty good at laying out the general categories of needs and what they entail. You can go through it even if you’re not making a registry and see what you need from there!
  • carleym93carleym93 member
    edited December 2018
    Our list is pretty short. We needed a new infant seat and we got one. We also need: 

Towels
    Aden & Anais blankets
    Onesies
    Swaddles
    Rectal thermometer
    Cradle cap comb
    Gas drops
    Pacifiers
    Some kind of bouncy seat
    Ring sling 
    High chair

Thats all I’ve got for now 
  • @carleym93 Aden and Anais is on my list too, i have heard the cost is so worth it for them plus multi use
  • anyone here tried the sollybaby wrap or the wild bird ring sling? I'm having a tough time deciding if ring is better or not
  • @cricket1688 SO worth it! We used them as nursing covers, carseat covers, blankets. They’re really big and really light weight. My 3 year old still uses one in the car. Plus if you have a Marshalls or a TJMaxx near you, you can almost always find last seasons patterns for significantly less. Mine had a 4 pack of last season’s prints for $19 
  • @meatballs37 Sold me on the WildBird sling @cricket1688
  • @cricket1688 in my personal opinion. The sling is much easier to get a baby in quick. Especially if your leave the rings threaded. And I think you can wear them for longer as they get older than a wrap. I will switch from my ring sling to my Tula around the 20ish lbs range. But I do love the ring sling for family photos too. They are so much more flattering. 

I was thinking about starting a thread for what STM’s are buying, so it’s easily in one place. 
  • cricket1688cricket1688 member
    edited December 2018
    @carleym93 omg amazing tip about last season prints! That’s perfect since they are all cute

@meatballs37 I think you’re right that seems to be the biggest selling point between the two, so thank you!. I think they even make a sturdier version for when baby gets bigger. I’m gonna try to work on threading before baby arrives to get the hang of the basics. I also like how they specify butt below knees for comfort/safety of mom and baby. I would love to see a thread! I just started putting my registry together but there’s probably plenty missing