November 2018 Moms

Birth Story: Emergency C-Section/New Surgery Update

edited October 2018 in November 2018 Moms
**new surgery update at the bottom of the comments**

First off: We had a baby! Sydney Cora, 7lbs 2oz, 18.5 inches. Now for the story...

I started having contractions around 11pm tonight. They were way different than the BH I'd been having and were immediately feeling really crampy and intense. I started timing them and they were 5 minutes apart from the start. After an hour, I called the OB and headed to the hospital.
They took me to triage and started monitoring the baby's HR. Her HR looked good, but they said she was "sleepy" and inactive, so they were concerned. They immediately gave me IV fluid and oxygen, but it didn't get better after about 30 minutes so I had an emergency c-section. The OB said it was a sign the baby wasn't getting enough oxygen, which is why they were concerned.
I got the epidural and the c-section started immediately. The tugging sensations were so weird, but it went very well. They got her out and she looked great! However, she had pooped in utero and there was a lot of fluid with some blood in it, so the OB sent my placenta to get checked out to see  what was up with it. H got to hold Sydney for a while, then I got to hold her skin to skin after they stitched me up. After they wheeled me to the PACU, I got to breastfeed for a bit, then a NICU nurse came to check her out again. Her sugars and oxygen are a little low, so they took her to the NICU to hook her up to a CPAP then they hope to feed her once her oxygen is better. Her oxygen is in the high 80s so it's not too far off from the 90s they like to see.
She's beautiful and perfect and we are so excited, although I'm kind of in shock from the crazy whirlwind. Now I hope to get a bit of sleep. I will post pics later! 
*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Birth Story: Emergency C-Section/New Surgery Update

• Also, I never expected to have a c-section so I didn't pay too much attention to the discussions about it on here (boy, I'm kicking myself now). So if you have any tips on recovery or if there's anything I need to know, please tell me! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Already posted to FB but I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU GIRL!!!!! Congrats on little Sydney :love: can't wait to see pics :) praying for the shortest NICU stay and that she gets to come home ASAP <3 

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• CONGRATULATIONS!! i’m sorry that your delivery was crazy, and i hope baby Sydney recovers quickly from the aspiration. wow that you started breastfeeding right away after major surgery... you are a rockstar! can’t wait to see pictures and updates. hope you’re getting some good rest now. yay <3
  • Sydney is beautiful.

sending prayers that the results of the sonogram show something easily remedied.
  • Sydney is beautiful friend! huge congrats to you and your family. Will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes for a very short and smooth NICU stay.  <3
  • She's beautiful! Hope the tests show something that is easy to take care of. Hope she has a super short NICU stay
  • Congrats!!! So amazing!!! Thankful that your body decided it was time to get her out and signaled you to get to the hospital. Sounds like you are in good care, positive healing thoughts at you guys. Keep us posted when you can and get some rest!
  • @offtoneverland oh, mama. my thoughts are with you and Sydney. sorry you’re going through this.
  • @offtoneverland I’m hoping they definitely release you sooner so you can get to her!! I will be thinking of you girls all day and sending all the good vibes❤️
    nws
  • @offtoneverland Thoughts are with you guys, hopefully this is all benign and Sydney will be able to be home with you all soon. 
  • mockingjay1mockingjay1 member
    edited October 2018
    Oh no, I am so sorry they have to transfer her. How far away is Baltimore from you guys? Praying they can figure out what the mass is and that her echo shows the murmur is something that will fix/close itself. I hope they will discharge you early so you can be with sweet Sydney. 

eta: Definitely make sure you get up and moving, the sooner the better. It helps prevent pneumonia, blood clots, keeps your bowels moving, and the more you move the better you feel (minus the actually standing up and sitting back down part). If you are sitting/laying and you have to sneeze or cough try and brace your stomach with a pillow and it won't hurt as bad. I walked around the room after DS was 4 hours old and in the halls once he was 8 hours old (dragging my stupid catheter my nurse refused to take out along with me). I didn't find the binder the hospital provided comfortable, but I know a lot of people love them. I hope you have a smooth recovery! 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• No advice but wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you! Hoping Baltimore isn't too far away from where you live and praying for a speedy recovery for you so you can be together with beautiful baby Sydney <3 
  • Oh, I'm so sorry she is being transferred. I know how hard that is. Praying they find out what the mass is and that her echo comes back normal. M needed an echo for a heart murmur and all came back fine. ((Hugs)) mama. Focus on getting well enough to be with her. 
  • @offtoneverland I’ll come keep you company! :lol:
    that wont be weird at all! I’m so glad to hear you’re recovering well. I remember my SIL being miserable and so out of it after her c-section. She had issues with the anesthesia though. I’m so anxious to hear what’s going on with Sydney as obviously you are as well. Try to get some rest while you can! Still sending you guys love and positive vibes!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @offtoneverland Thinking of you and baby. She is so beautiful and perfect <3 I'm so sorry that this is so scary. Lifting all of you up in prayer right now! 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• I'm sorry she has to have surgery, but I'm glad they have a dx and a fix. Praying for a fast recovery. 
  • @offtoneverland So sorry that she is having to go through surgery. Sending you both all the positive vibes and will be thinking of you.  <3
  • i also hope it’s a quick, easy fix for your dd2 and she heals fast so you two can be together again. please keep updating here. hope you’re healing up quickly too. hugs.
  • Poor baby!  I hope it's an easy fix and that you and Sydney both recover quickly. :heart:
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• Praying Sydney's surgery goes well and you will get to see her soon!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @offtoneverland I'm so sorry to see that Sydney had to go to another hospital without you!  I don't know what I would have done had they not transferred me when they transferred Tristan (I was in the hospital for 6 days and would have gone mad not being able to see him for that long)!

I hope that you are released soon (if you haven't been already) so that you can go be with her and I hope she is recovering well from her surgery!
    Infertility Journey (in spoiler because it's way too long and child/loss mentioned)
    Married: 08/09/2013; TTC #2
    Me: 31, possible PCOS and Septate Uterus (Septum removed in November 2017)
    DH: 31, MFI (Low Count and Low Motility)
    July 2017 - IUI #1 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    August 2017 - IUI #2 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    September 2017 - IUI #3 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    November 2017 - Uterine Septum removed
    December 2017 - IVF Consultation
    January 2018 - IVF #1 - Retrieval 1/24 - 2 Day 3 embryos (1 transferred fresh, 1 frozen) and 2 Day 5 embryos frozen
    February 2018 - Fresh Transfer - Transfer 1/27 (1 day 3 embryo) - BFN
    March 2018 - FET #1 - Transfer 3/2 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP!  1st beta (10dp5dt) - 101; 2nd beta (17dp5dt) - 3061! Due 11/18/2018
    March 2018 - Remaining embryos lost in malfunction.

October 8, 2018 - Son born at 34 weeks and a day due to preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.  Spent 13 days in the NICU.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

June 2019 - IVF #2 - Cancelled - Cyst on Ovary
    July 2019 - IVF #2 Take 2 - Retrieval 8/1 - 5 Day 5 embryos frozen
    August 2019 - FET #1 - Cancelled - No Trilaminar Lining
    September 2019 - FET #1 - Transfer 9/25 (1 day 5 embryo) - Chemical Pregnancy - 1st beta (9dp5dt): 110; 2nd beta (14dp5dt): 357; 3rd beta (16dp5dt): 188; 4th beta (23dp5dt): 7
    November 2019 - FET #2 - Transfer 11/6 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFN
    December 2019 - FET #3 - Transfer 12/11 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP! - 1st beta (8dp5dt): 102; 2nd beta (15dp5dt): 2636! Due 08/28/2020

August 13, 2020 - Son born at 37 weeks an 6 days due to failed BPP (Gestational Diabetes).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • glad to hear you’re feeling good about the plan after the diagnosis. sounds like baby girl is in very good hands! 
  • I'm so glad that they know what's up and have a plan. Her surgery team sounds awesome! And, yay for holding her!! I hope all goes well. It is true that babies recover well, my niece had to have heart surgery as a NB, she's 11 now and you would never know she had major surgery as an infant. Hugs, I will be praying for everything to go smoothly. 
  • You already know I’m over here cheering you girls on, but I’ll tell you here too!!  <3
    nws
  • I’m so glad you know what it is and have a solution. Sending so many prayers!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @offtoneverland I'm just now seeing this- Congratulations, Sydney is absolutely beautiful! I'm sorry your first few days have been such a whirlwind, but I'm so happy that your med team is going proactive and has figured out what was going on. You and your family will be in my thoughts, I will be stalking for your update  <3
  • thinking of you today @offtoneverland. praying that Sydney’s surgery goes very smoothly and is done faster than you expect. so much love to you!!
  • Thinking of you today. Hoping for a quick recovery for Sydney. I'm glad they were able to get the true issue identified and that it's 100% curable. Stay strong!
  • Praying for a quick surgery and an even faster recovery. 
  • @offtoneverland thinking of you and baby Sydney. Stay strong! You're definitely one tough cookie.