October 2018 Moms

Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

12346»

Re: Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

• @tropical1982 it may make the pushing stage shorter. But you still have to get completely dilated first!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm 35+3
    The last week I have felt less and less movement. It has been gradual but definitely less than before. 
    Mind you he was always VERY active and I felt him since 15 weeks. He used to have crazy dance parties in there and shake my entire stomach. I could guarantee he'd move after each meal and before bed, now the movements feel more like nudges or hiccups and is less frequent. I'm finding myself having to sit and do a kick count because I don't feel him as much. Today I had to lay down for 1.5 hours before I could feel him. My stomach is also rock hard now.  I'm assuming it's because he's running out of room? Just want to know this is normal! I keep having dreams his umbilical cord is compressed or tied. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Today I went to urinate and when I sat down a trickle came out of my vagina. I think my water broke but I’m not sure. I called my OB and the nurse said to put on a panty liner and if it soaked through in an hour to call back. It’s been an hour and I know it’s dumb but I still can’t tell. I feel stuff coming out, but can’t tell if it’s wet. I am not sure if my water broke or not and it’s driving me insane trying to figure it out. 
  • With the scarily active Atlantic basin right now...my question is...how true is it that low pressure fronts like hurricanes cause women to go into labor? One of my co-worker's said his wife water broke during a low front and the hospital was completely full. I'm worried about going into pre-term labor or going into labor and not having a room! DH was born during a hurricane, so I'd like to not repeat that.
  • @jemmerjams this probably won’t be super reassuring, but we see lots of broken waters around any big barometric swing (low or high), for us it’s often snowstorm related. Hopefully you grew thick membranes and baby will not follow YH’s footsteps!
  • @jennybean80 wellllll I guess I better drink a ton of water this week and take it easy. And hope that system in the gulf dissipates ASAP!
  • @chyvie i was in two weeks ago for the same reason...went from tons of movement to the point where i was drinking ice cold apple juice and pushing baby around to try to feel any at all, and my stomach felt like a boulder for two days straight. i went in and everything was fine with me and baby, but i felt much better knowing that and everyone at L&D was really great about it and said just what @jennybean80 said about it being better to check it out and be reassured. 
    i know that is just my story, but hope that all is good for you and i second the encouragement to go get checked out and hopefully ease your worries!  <3
  • My stomach is rock hard often as well. Usually I can tell there's a braxton hicks related to the pressure.
  • @cagncoo12 my OB told me at my appointment last week to cut back from 2 baby aspirin to 1 and then this week to stop taking it so when I go on for my cesarean there will be less of a risk 
  • I lost a bit of my mucus plug tonight at 35+4. Definitely not the whole thing and no blood tinge to it.

I know losing the mucus plug doesnt mean much and it can regenerate, but should I be calling my OB tomorrow to inform her? I'm more just cautious because its before 37 weeks.

Is this fairly common? With my first I didnt lose till 38 weeks so I'm just a bit surprised.
  • @nasalot188 I wouldn’t bother. It isn’t indicative of anything except maybe your cervix softening a bit. Some women lose theirs, some don’t (I never have). But overall it’s really a non-issue :smile:
  • Ladies who have been cramping- have you noticed your cramping getting worse or more often than before? For a few weeks now I've been getting some cramping every once in a while, not too serious. The past few days though I feel like it's gotten much worse. I cramped all day on and off yesterday, and last night I think I woke up because of it.

The thing is, it didn't feel super intense, but like a bad period cramp that you kinda have to shake your leg or rock your pelvis to help alleviate. That didn't help (neither did switching sides) so I got up and went to the bathroom and passed a random bowel movement at 1:30am that helped the pain subside. Funnily enough it's not the first time that pooping has come directly after cramping. Just this time the cramping was more focused in the lower middle part of the pelvis, instead of low in the uterus.

I mentioned the cramping to my midwife when I saw her 3 weeks ago, and I see her on Monday again so I'll mention that it's been worse. But is this normal?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @laurasauruss I've been getting a lot of period type cramping too which I chalk up to BH contractions. I also get really bad cramps if I have to poop! And then all of the sudden they are gone once I make a BM. 

I wouldn't worry too much, this late in the game cramping is going to be normal and only get more frequent and intense. 

You'll know when you're in labour, those contractions are impossible to mistake.  :)
  • I've been getting tons of period-like cramps. They don't come and go, they'll last for hours. Sometimes it helps if I chug water. Sometimes it helps if I poop. Sometimes it may just be soreness from my pelvis. I can't tell! Constantly confused over here.
  • @laurasauruss I've had the cramping for a few weeks (I'm 35 weeks now) and it's definitely happening more often. It started out like you described where I would have a BM and be fine. Now they come without the BM and include belly hardening like BH contractions as well. I normally have 2-3 in a row and then they are gone. I'm assuming my body is just getting ready for labor since it reminds me of early labor contractions with DD. I think as long as it stops then it's fine. 
  • +1 on the cramping.  It seems so much worse this time, so i wonder if it's something that gets worse with each pregnancy?  Either way, my doc said it's fine as long as there is no bleeding, and just to be wary of sudden changes.

@jennybean80
    1.  Are you sick of me yet?
    2. My biggest concern is baby flipping to breech late in the game (because it has happened to me before)  The OB i saw yesterday said that i shouldn't obsess over it, but its always a risk, especially for 2+ moms, and that she has even seen babies flip to breech while in labor.

WHAT THE WHAT?  her brutal honesty was not well received.  Have you seen this happen, or does this fall in "you are just as likely to be struck by lightening or win the lottery" category?
  • I’ve been having major cramps too in my lower belly. I then realized I was constipated! I didn’t recognize at first. My ob told me to take colace and Miralax (both) and after 3 days I felt so much better. Still cramping when I try to walk too fast but still improved.
  • Is it normal for my little one to be having hiccups at least twice a day? (Usually at least once when I’m laying down at night) ... she’s still very active otherwise... but I can definitely tell when they’re hiccups. 
  • @lolo_0924 my OB says it's completely normal. My little guy gets hiccups daily and sometimes up to three times. They are practicing breathing and get them easily. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• @lolo_0924 mine would get hiccups ALL THE TIME. now that shes on the outside, she still gets them constantly
  • @lolo_0924 totally normal. Their diaphragm is under-developed and tends to spasm, which is all hiccups are. Many babies have frequent hiccups after they’re born as well, and tend not to be bothered by them. 
  • Thanks guys! I just thought the frequency seemed a bit much... I feel like I’m walking around “popping” all the time :smiley:
  • ^^agree!!! Congratulations!
  • ^ I agree @rabtaido1214! I just saw the birth announcement, congrats! 
  • Thanks all (too many to tag) for sharing your stories! Glad I'm not the only cramp pooper :lol: 

My LO too has hiccups frequently. I love them, especially now that I think she's dropped because I feel them vibrating to my butthole haha

I agree @jennybean80 congrats and thank you so much for being here for our q's!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Congratulations @jennybean80 ! Also thanks so much for all your insights, these threads have definitely gotten me through a lot of this pregnancy! 
  • @jennybean80 not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have a post partum question!

I’m still bleeding pretty heavy (no substantial clots). I know bleeding is normal for up to 6 weeks, but I’m 10 days out and from everything I’ve read (and discharge notes) it should have slowed down by now.  Any major cause for concern? Baby number 3 and I really don’t want to mess with the doctors office if I’m just being paranoid and letting Dr. Google freak me out!!

• @midwestmom12 I’d give it another couple of days. If it hasn’t started to slow down a bit by 2 weeks, I’d at least contact your doctor and mention it to them. However if you start passing clots, are dizzy/lightheaded, or have any signs of infection (foul odor, fever) see your doctor or head to ER.