October 2018 Moms
Options

Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

Re: Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

• Options
    @jennybean80 I'm in Ontario also and haven't been recommended the TDAP. I'm 33 weeks and there has been no mention of it.

I definitely didn't get it 2 years ago while pregnant with DS.

I will ask at my next appt with my OB and see what they say...I'm curious.

If it weren't for the bump this wouldn't even be on my radar tbh...
  • Options
    My fam should all have it because my nephews were in NICU a couple years ago. So even my husband got it then and the doc said that was fine. (Although I don't necessarily trust my mom who says she got it.) Now just trying to get my in-laws to get it, which is going to be a shit show probably.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @nasalot188 @jennybean80 I am in Ontario too and have never even heard of this shot until the bump. I will have to write it down to ask my ob at my appointment next week. But with all my allergies I am not sure if I can even get it. 
  • Options
    I’m in Ontario and my midwife recommended it in the beginning of summer. She said it was a fairly new recommendation. She gave a pretty wide window but when I went to my family doctor they wouldn’t administer until 28 weeks. My husband and I both had it done by the nurse when I was 28 weeks without any issues except for three days of sore arms.
  • Options
    The idea of having everyone vaccinate is stressing me out. I've had the dtap, DH will have gotten it, and I can probably swing it by my parents to get it. Outside of them though, I know my ILs won't get it, and I have lots of extended family that will inevitably come into contact with baby before he's vaccinated and I can't be sure every single person has been vaccinated. I know I've held newborns in my family and have not had the dtap, so I dunno. Just feel like I don't want to start off messing up as a parent but at the same time I'll need the support from friends and family. 
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I’m worried about that too. I’m honestly just worried about people not being respectful and still coming over if they have a cold. I’m especially worried about that for Thanksgiving because a couple of years ago DH’s cousin brought her two kids and all three of them were sick. We ended up getting a nasty cold and it felt like it lasted the rest of the winter (on and off). 
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    My ILs were like that with DS.  They were SHOCKED I made their 5 and 2 year old (at the time) wait in the waiting room with one of them while the other visited.  I also love when people say they aren't sick, but it's "just allergies"  I try to be really respectful when I am the one who is visiting.  Even if I am not the one sick in my house, I just don't go!
  • Options
    @jennybean80 why do OBs always attempt to schedule RSC for 39 weeks?  Every admin at my OBs office has looked at me like I am crazy and there is some huge mistake when they see my "just in case" RSC is scheduled during 41 weeks.
  • Options
    meltonjl said:
    My ILs were like that with DS.  They were SHOCKED I made their 5 and 2 year old (at the time) wait in the waiting room with one of them while the other visited.  I also love when people say they aren't sick, but it's "just allergies"  I try to be really respectful when I am the one who is visiting.  Even if I am not the one sick in my house, I just don't go!
    I have really bad allergies so I'll sniffle, blow my nose, and cough year round. I always feel bad when I'm around people who might be concerned because it really is just allergies.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I believe it! Maybe my family is just nuts because they have actually lied about it...haha
  • Options
    I'm always self conscious about it because I know how it looks, and I would never be around someone's kid if I truly was sick.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I have them too.  One of my cousins had a special needs child who could not be around anyone sick whatsoever or it would put him in the hospital.  In that situation, I just didn't visit if my allergies were acting up because I was so self conscious.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 DH has bad allergies too and constantly sounds like he is sick when he’s really not. However, he’s always very conscious of it and tries to stay away from
    people’s kids and babies so the parents don’t worry. Of course all of our friends know he has allergies and they don’t mind so much.

@acciocoffee I plan to babywear then too, just so I have more control over who is holding him and how much contact he has with others. I’ve also already told DH that if anyone is sick I’m either not going or I will leave with the baby, and he’s completely fine with that.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    @meltonjl it’s mostly a hold over from when they didn’t really do VBACs. They would book for 39 weeks so most people wouldn’t go into labour before their surgery date. So it’s really just habit. If you’re wanting a VBAC booking for 40 weeks at the earliest, and up to 41 weeks is totally reasonable. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @jennybean80 Thanks! Really trying hard so I was excited when my primary OB said I could schedule for 41 +2.  It's just crazy the hoops the front desk was making me jump through.  I finally said screw it and talked to my doc, and let them hear it from the horse's mouth!
  • Options
    @HoosOnFirst Same, I got mine again but everyone else is fine. I can't make people get vaccines but I told my mom and my sister who were the only ones coming when DS was born that they needed Tdap and the flu shot, especially since they were flying. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    before one of my showers we had a mini family get together and a member came from out of town and said his wife was sick so I could wave at her from a distance. Ok not ideal but ok. I waved when she walked in and she walked over and hugged me. WTH?! why?!! and then her kid started talking about not feeling well the next day. I was pissed then and was going to be really pissed if I got sick. Thankfully I didn't. mental note for them when baby is here! no invite!
  • Options
    Oh man, no I I’m stressing about this. Trying to remember if I ever saw my MIL with a cold sore. For some reason I can’t be certain it’s a no. Are cold sores always HSV or something that can harm the baby? Also my SIL is 16 and in a boy crazy phase so I’m worried she’s germy. 
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 cold sores are hsv. 
  • Options
    I have a question for Jenny bean, I have gestational diabetes but since taking medication and following a strict diet, my blood glucose levels are good and blood pressure is always great. As of last Thursday baby is measuring just three days ahead. My doctor says if all stays well and good there is no need for induction, but if I wanted one she says I could be induced  anywhere between 39 and 40 weeks. So my question, are inductions around 39 weeks typically complication free if there are no underlying health issues? I'm thinking I want to go for the induction because I'm working until the day I give birth and this would be easiest. But is it irresponsible to choose an induction when there isn't really an immediate medical issue? Would it be best just to wait for a natural birth? Sorry for the long question! The choice is up to me and I want to make the best one for baby!
  • Options
    I’m not a doc or nurse. But I can tell you my ob offered to do an induction in week 39 “if everything looks good” when I mentioned my anxiety about going into labor too far from my hospital naturally. I declined, because I got induced the first time and it sucked, but it sounds like it is “a thing” that seems safe.
  • Options
    @jwebbbber45678 honestly at 39 weeks, it’s pretty reasonable to be induced. Especially having GDM, even though you are really well controlled, there are still issues with placental function towards the end of pregnancy.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    @jwebbbber45678
    My daughter came at exactly 39 weeks without induction. She was also my first and they really thought she was going to hold out longer lol. With my GD this time I'll be induced somewhere between 38-39 and I'm pretty ok with that. You never know what these babies will do. My sister was a month early (7lbs 12 oz) and was fine but jaundiced a few days later which resulted in a 3 night stay for her. My cousin was 5 weeks early (5lbs 6 oz), went home in two days when her mom was released for the c section, and never had a single issue. All you can do is talk to the drs and see what you and they are comfortable with. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    Oh Lord, I just talked to the nurse in perinatology when I was having my non stress test, she said a woman with gestational diabetes just had a 12 pound baby at 39 weeks! Daaaaaaamn! I'm thinking induction sounds good.
  • Options
    @jwebbbber45678 o.m.g.

Let's hope the baby was just long LOL
  • Options
    dash83dash83 member
    edited August 2018
    Thank you @jennybean80 for being a rock star and answers all of our questions!! 

Perhaps this has been asked in previous weeks, I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate! 

So I have consistently been measuring ahead, and at my appointment this week (I’m 33 weeks) my fundal measurement was 38! So measuring pretty far ahead. They have ordered a growth ultrasound for 9/13. I’m wondering if I have anything to be worried about, is this common or could it indicate something is amiss?  What will happen if it is a big baby? 
    started googling, which is never a good idea...  

I’m a FTM here, so don’t have anything to compare it to. Passed my gloucous with flying colors, but was a bit overweight when I got pregnant. Oh, my husband was also almost 12lbs when he was born  :open_mouth:

• Options
    @dash83 it could be a couple of things, it could just be mis-measured/error. It could be that baby is big (especially if YH was that big 
    :hushed:), or that you have extra amniotic fluid on board. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I know some babies don't "drop" until labor starts or drop several weeks prior. Does there seem to be any correlation to Baby dropping/lightening and when labor will begin? G has very clearly dropped, even if he's still sitting high in my pelvic. However, my belly is lower, there's lots of weight and pressure in my pubic area, and I very clearly felt movement down there last night. I'm 34 weeks and just curious if he could sit there for 6 more weeks.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 It doesn’t really indicate anything much either way. Lots of women have baby drop early and don’t deliver for weeks. 
  • Options
    @sammierose464 All I ever hear about from my mom is how I dropped 8 Weeks before I decided I was ready to be born. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @krzyriver omg. I seriously hope not. The pain and discomfort since he dropped has SUCKED. I don't know how people say BH don't hurt... The top of my uterus tightens up and pushes everything down... Aka baby into my cervix.
  • Options
    Is there any way to tell if baby is breech? I was told she was at 28 week ultrasound but they haven’t mentioned it since (currently 35 weeks)... they told me it didn’t really matter at 28 weeks bc she still had plenty of room & time to flip but now I’m curious bc I assume she starting to run out of room. I keep meaning to ask while I’m in there but end up forgetting!