October 2018 Moms

Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

As all of our “big day” gets nearer, I wanted to put up a new Ask Me post. Again, with the caveat that I am not a doctor, can not diagnose things, and will often refer you back to your doctor for their advice. But I can answer general questions of what to expect, typical norms, that kind of thing. So. Hit me! What do you want to know?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

• mamabearcjmamabearcj member
    edited August 2018
    Might be a silly question but I thought of it last night! Since the Twins have their own sacs and everything does that mean two waters will break?! And if so, do they break simultaneously or on their own, will I notice an additional breakage? So many questions lol
  • @mamabearcj having two separate sacs, they will break independently of each other. With mine last time, Baby A’s broke at 11:00pm prior to labour starting. They started an induction the next morning since I wasn’t progressing. A was born that second evening at 7:52pm, and then the doctor broke the waters for Baby B prior to her delivery. 
  • Loading the player...
  • That makes sense! Thank you! :smile:
  • My previous OB was insistent that I have a csection, but in the hospital these last few days every other doctor suggested that wasn’t necessary. How successful are VBAC’s when the first was a singleton? Or do deliveries typically end in a RCS anyway? 
  • @missmaehurt overall c-section rates for everyone statistically in North America is around 30-33% (so vaginal deliveries are 67-70%). VBACs are successful 75% of the time. So from a pure numbers game your odds are actually better for a VBAC. There are pros and cons to both sides, of course, but I see lots of successful VBACs. 

Can I ask why you had your first c-section? There are some cases that make you a better or worse candidate for a successful VBAC. 
  • I was reading that the standard breast pump flange doesn't fit everyone but you can't properly measure until after you're breastfeeding/pumping so the nipple is engorged. Is there a way to figure out if I have the proper breast pump flange size before baby?

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• @sarahzett I’m honestly not sure. I was fitted after delivery for both (NICU kids so I got flanges from the hospital). You could always measure now and if you’re already wildly off the flange size at least you know you’ll need new ones later? But they don’t recommend pumping until after your supply is established and breastfeeding is going well (around 3 weeks), so that will give some time to get new ones. Of course if you have a preemie or are planning to exclusively pump that changes things. 
  • @jennybean80 I had GD and pre-e, so they sent me to be induced at 36+3. I only dialated to 4cm and I was so sick from the magnesium that I begged for a csection and they delivered at 36+6. I think it was so early my body was just not ready for delivery. So assuming I don’t develop pre-e this time around (*fingers crossed*) I may be able to deliver on my own.
  • @missmaehurt that gives you decent odds! Good luck!
  • Other than getting fluid tested, how can I know if I’m leaking fluid or just having extra discharge/peeing a bit? My panties always seem a little wet but not soaked enough that I would put a liner in. Are there any other symptoms that typically accompany a fluid leak that would help me know? I’m pretty sure it’s just normal discharge but what are the risks of leaking fluid? Would it be dangerous to swim?
  • @jenchoo unfortunately there isn’t a good “home test” to check for amniotic fluid. Prolonged rupture of the amniotic sac puts you and baby at risk of infection, and swimming would increase that risk. I’d suggest putting on a panty liner and seeing what happens over an hour. If it gets damp you may want to go in and get tested. 
    It could very well be sweat (especially if it’s hot where you are) or a bit of urine, but it’s better to rule out a leak then to risk an infection. 
  • Thoughts on induction for VBACs?  One Dr said she wouldn’t induce (haven’t met with the others yet), but if I’m 40+ weeks and looking at a RCS, what would be the downside of trying the induction?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @jenchoo my underwear are always a bit wet and have been most of this pregnancy. Some days I have to change 3-4 times. It’s a combo of discharge and leaking urine for me. 
  • With nurse gifts, how do most people do that? Like just a basket of stuff you tell the nurses to take something out of when they come in your room? Or do you give it to everyone at the nurses station? My nurses were so amazing last time and I felt bad that I didn’t really know to bring them stuff until after I already had DD.
  • Also along these lines, how many nurses should we plan for? 
  • With nurse gifts, how do most people do that? Like just a basket of stuff you tell the nurses to take something out of when they come in your room? Or do you give it to everyone at the nurses station? My nurses were so amazing last time and I felt bad that I didn’t really know to bring them stuff until after I already had DD.
    As a nurse, most patients bring the food to the front and either give it to the secretary, if there is one, or to the charge nurse. We would usually just put them in our break area for anyone to take from.
  • How common is it to bring nurse gifts? I didn't know that was a thing until just now!

Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Can I ask a third Tri symptom question here? I don’t want to be one of those crazy pregnant ladies who freaks out after googling symptoms on the internet, but... 

The heel of my foot has been super itchy for the past several days- to the point where I used a metal clothes hanger to try and scratch it on Thursday night and still didn’t feel any relief. Today it’s a little swollen and almost feels bruised. It’s still itchy, but it gets worse at night. No rash or anything like that and DH could tell it was swollen this morning too.

I did some googling and scary things like obstetric cholestasis came up in my search results. I called my drs office and am waiting for a call back, but in the meantime figured I’d post here to see if you’ve seen this and to see if anyone else has experienced this (didn’t see a symptoms thread this week?). Anyway, if it were something like obstetric cholestasis, would it be itchy in both feet instead of just one? Or have you seen folks have something like that? Again, I called my dr already and am waiting on a call back but curious for another perspective... and trying not to go crazy in the meantime haha. 

• @ladyofarlington cholestasis can start out on one side. Hopefully it’s nothing, but it’s good you’re getting it checked out. Lots of women with cholestasis complain of it being worse at night. 
  • Oh interesting. Thanks @jennybean80. Hopefully it’s just random and they just side eye me for calling about an itchy foot, but I guess we’ll see. Haha.
  • @ladyofarlington I've been having bad itching, especially on my feet at night. My dr first had me try to adjust my allergy meds. When i started complaining of pain in my upper right side, he sent me for blood work. They tested my liver and things came back fine. It's good to have your dr look into it though. My feet still get really itchy at night, and I put calamine lotion on them if it's bad. It helps mostly.
  • @ladyofarlington it's good that you are getting it checked out.

My best friend just got induced a couple weeks ago for cholestasis. She was so itchy, but from what I understand it was EVERYWHERE. They sent her for bloodwork and her liver numbers were through the roof! 

The good news is there wasn't an immediate risk to baby or anything, but they definitely wanted baby out sooner than later, hense the induction.

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious for you!
  • Have you heard of starting red raspberry leaf tea in the third trimester to “condition” the uterus. I did some research and it says only for FTMs. My naturopath recommended that I start taking it around 32 weeks. Was just wondering if you @jennybean80 or anyone else has heard of this or had it recommended to them?
  • @jandmnumber1 - my friend just gave me her leftover raspberry tea and primrose oil and I am admittedly not quite sure what to do with it yet. Next in my google search queue! It was recommended by my friend’s midwife as well.
  • @jandmnumber1 I drank it religiously with #1, also ate dates, had my membranes swept twice and nothing.. so it won't hurt but I don't think it does much! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ladyofarlington it sounds like your itching might be worse. It's a good thing you're going in early!
  • @jennybean80 thank you for the suggestions! we will definitely add some of those to the basket...and coffee. i work weekends at starbucks so can get some hot, fresh coffee there (if we are not in too big of a hurry) and some goodies too. 
  • I'm sure this is just wishful thinking, but are lower sitting babies more likely to come out by 40 weeks? Or at least come out on their own? This LO sits on my cervix all day so I'm curious if he is less likely to go to 41+ weeks like his sister who was always up in my ribs. 
  • @acciocoffee not necessarily. Sorry  :/
  • That's actually not all bad! I've been worried about going into labor too early with him sitting that low, so it's nice to know that it's not going to increase that risk as well. 
  • And here I'm hoping for the opposite. Lol although more like 37/38 weeks