October 2018 Moms

Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

Re: Ask Me Anything:Third Tri/Labour Edition

• @lolo_0924 there is, but it can be difficult without lots of experience. If you Google ‘Leopold’s Maneuvers’ there are lots of visuals and videos about it. Basically you try and determine the top and bottom of the baby, and then wiggle the bum/head ends. The bum will cause the entire body to wiggle, but the head will wiggle independently from the body. 

You can sometimes tell by where you get kicked (head down babies kick near the top of the uterus), but if baby is Frank Breech they have their feet up by their heads and you’ll feel kicks up at the top anyway. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @jennybean80 haha I’ve been trying to figure out butt from head but I’ll didn’t consider “how” they move, I’ll have to pay attention to that. I know she definitely very “high” in general (everyone makes a comment - I’m all belly so I literally look like I have a basketball under my boobs) but yeah at 28 weeks one foot was up next to her face so if she’s still doing that it would make it hard to tell... hopefully I’ll remember to ask at my 36 week appointment. Thanks for being so responsive to this board BTW :smile:
  • Loading the player...
  • @lolo_0924 my midwife feels around my belly at appointments and tells me the positions. If you remember, ask your care provider if they could do that. Also, you could google where you feel kicks and that might come up with something. Not very scientific I know!
  • @lolo_0924 you'll definitely want a doctors opinion but usually if you are feeling most of your kicks and movement above your belly button...that's a good indication that baby is head down. Also, if you feel baby hiccups low near your pelvis that's another good sign.

But your doctor should be able to feel your belly and get a pretty good idea at your next appt :) 
  • You your doctor/midwife can also usually tell by where they find the heartbeat. Below the bellybutton and baby is typically head down. Above the bellybutton and baby is probably breech. 
  • I've asked my Dr and he hasn't been able to give me anything concrete. He has told me where his back was based on checking his HR. He said he will be able to give me more info when we start cervical checks.
  • I’m a STM and the only time I have had a NST is when my LOs weren’t moving much. I have also heard of women having them when they are past their EDD.  However, I’ve seen a lot of women in our group mention getting them frequently. What are the circumstances in which a NST is necessary?
  • @meltonjl often when women are high risk, especially if they are gestational diabetics (or diabetic outside of pregnancy). Also if they have multiples, high BPs/preeclampsia etc. 
  • @jennybean80 thanks! I had pree last time and never had them (at least not for that)! Good to know. I was starting to think I was supposed to be getting them and wasn’t!
  • My Dr mentioned me starting them at 36 weeks because I barely passed my 3hr glucose test.
  • I never had an NST last time until 40 weeks
  • I’m a stm and don’t recall every having a NST at an ob appt. either last time or this time. It must be for specific criteria?
  • I have weekly non stress tests and ultrasounds because I'm over 35 and have gestational diabetes. My nurse said those are the most common reasons. I'm actually supposed to be getting them twice a week because I'm a medicated diabetic but I talked my doctor into once a week because it's hard to schedule working full time. Last time I only had one because I was 41 weeks.
  • I had NSTs with DD starting around 35 weeks because my BP was starting to rise (I ended up being diagnosed with preeclampsia at 38 weeks and induced).

No NSTs with DS or this time, but I’ve had weekly BPPs this time starting at 32 weeks because baby hasn’t been very active and there was concern over his HR at 32 weeks. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have one scheduled for 3 days after my due date along with an ultrasound... but other than that I don’t think I’d have any reason to need one. 
  • I’ve had NSTs with every pregnancy because of pre-e for my first two and this time around due to gestational diabetes. With my first though it was every 6 hours while I was hospitalized until I delivered (4 days). With E, it was twice a week from 34 weeks until 37, when I delivered. This time around, it’s been twice a week starting at 30 weeks. 
  • I'm wondering if growth scans are standard or only ordered for babies measuring far ahead or far behind? I didn't have one with ODD but my OB was ultrasound happy and I was having ultrasounds at basically every OB appointment anyway. 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • So I found out that my blood pressure is now too low. It was 96/50 at my appointment. The only solution the NP gave me is to eat more often, drink more water and to try to get more protein. Is there anything else I should be doing? Also, is this dangerous for LO at all or just for me? 
  • @acciocoffee my BP is also low. I don't think there's much they can do other than what they advised you already. I try not to stand up/change positions too fast and keep hydrated. And make sure you try and sleep on your left side so that you have good circulation. As far as I know the only issue is fainting or falling if it's too low and you get dizzy. And try not to stay on your feet too much if you can. I always tend to push myself too far and then end up feeling like I'm going to pass out.
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @acciocoffee if it gets extremely low it can impact blood flow across the placenta, but that almost never happens. 
  • @mytrueloves growth scans are not usually standard. My OB only does 2 total U/S unless more are medically necessary. The first was optional (first tri scan) and the 2nd was my AS. I don't plan on having any more done.
  • Yep. I only had a growth scan cause OB was being cautious about an abnormal belly measurement.

With DS I had one at 12 weeks (IPS) and one at 20 weeks (AS). That was it!
  • @mytrueloves my OB does a growth scan for every patient at around 32 weeks. The OB my sister saw when she was pregnant with her daughter did the same, and so did the practice I was going to at the beginning of this pregnancy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mytrueloves
    I will be getting a growth scan tomorrow at 36w. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lolo_0924 My last appt I think at 28 or 30 weeks she was sideways, and I could tell she was sideways.. now I can tell she is most likely head down, I feel little feet by my ribs and hands I am assuming lower and by my side.. and of course the wonderful head butt or punch to the cervix. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wasn’t expecting any growth scans this time, but they scheduled me for one at 35 weeks. I didn’t ask why.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @acciocoffee - FWIW, i had super low blood pressure last time, and they were really only concerned about me....(mainly driving and passing out, or standing up too quickly and then fainting and possibly hitting my head)  
  • @jennybean80 Do you have any advice on timing contractions?  I don't know if I am just reading into it too much or if I am thoroughly confused, but I can't tell when my contractions start and end.  I can only tell when they are at their peak.  When doctors ask for you to let them know if they are 5 minutes apart, is that 5 minutes from when they are most intense?  I can't figure out when to start and stop the clock so to speak.
  • @meltonjl typically they are timed from the start of one to the start of the next, but if you can’t tell when that’s happening it would be reasonable to time from peak to peak. It will still give you the frequency, you just won’t be able to tell the duration (how long each one lasts). 
  • I went in for a growth scan today and baby is still large, but now the amniotic fluid is low. They told me to drink a gallon of water a day for the next few days and an electrolyte drink of some kind and then I have to go back on Wednesday and see if things have changed. Baby shows no signs of distress at this time, but they did mention he may need to come early and they will keep monitoring. In your experience, how does this type of situation tend to play out? Just a little background info: it is still 90 degrees outside, I drink 4+ liters of water daily, and I’ve been staying inside because the heat makes me feel sick.
  • @lrlybbert honestly about the only thing you can do is keep hydrated, but it often doesn’t change the situation drastically. There’s so much more to amniotic fluid production than just hydration. There’s how much baby is swallowing/peeing, blood flow, placental perfusion etc. 
  • I ended up asking my midwife at my appointment on Friday and in their practice they only do growth scans if baby is measuring abnormally ahead or behind. Little monster has consistently been measuring exactly on track at every check up so I won't be having one. I'm totally fine with that.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • @jennybean80 have you seen any correlation between being on baby aspirin and an increased risk in haemorrhaging? My doctor said to keep taking it till I go into labor, that they no longer tell patients to stop taking it. I believe her, but at stuck on this fear that it will increase my chances of haemorrhage.
  • @cagncoo12 I haven’t, and in fact I’m on 2 tabs of baby Aspirin daily. 
  • @jennybean80 I had my 32 week ultrasound last week.  Good news is no longer have low lying placenta.  During the US I noticed the tech stopped to look at something, but when the doctor came and gave the report didn't mention anything just that I was cleared from pelvic rest and good to attempt a vaginal delivery.  Yesterday I logged on to see when my next appointment was scheduled for and saw the notes on my chart - Pyelectasis in fetus (which I'm still confused as to what exactly it is).  Dr.  Google said it's quite common in males and usually fixes itself.  It also said its a soft marker for Downs.  I feel like I shouldn't be concerned but its hard.  This is the kid of almost issues but not quite.  Open Spina Bifida test came back high but could be normal.  This diagnosis coupled with that makes me think something might surprise us upon birth, but genetic testing didn't show anything. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @tropical1982 the fact that the genetic testing is clear is good. Those are pretty definitive. That coupled with the low relationship between pyelectasis and any real complications, I wouldn’t focus on it. But definitely ask your doctor if you have more questions. 
  • Thanks!

Also this kid is sitting super low.  I feel like when i go to the bathroom I feel the only thing holding him in is the amniotic sac lol.  The US tech was trying to push him up so she could get a good measurement for the placenta...he's right at the exit.  I'm not complaining about him being so low because with prior kids they were so high I had constant rib pain.  Any relationship with being low and actually getting out quickly?  I'm scared he'll drop right out once labor starts.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @cagncoo12 not a doc or nurse here, but when I went to L&D for bleeding last week they told me to stop taking the aspirin.  I just did as I was told! I am not sure if they were worried about how much blood I lost, or just gearing up for baby, but thought i would share.
  • thanks @jennybean80 and meltonjl! Good to get some perspective!