April 2019 Moms
Options

Have any of you told everyone about being pregnant? And if not how do you plan to?

Re: Have any of you told everyone about being pregnant? And if not how do you plan to?

• Options
    @jroisback Omg, Did you make her take it down? I don’t understand why some people think that’s an okay thing to do. 

My aunt showed up at the hospital out of the blue when I had DD and took a bunch of pics and put them on FB, which I had told everyone I didn’t want her pic on social media unless I okayed it. Thankfully my mom laid into her and she took it down. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @jroisback, mine just did the same thing! But I think she was just way too excited and didn't think before posting.

I'm now gradually telling all of my family and friends, because I want to make sure they hear it from me first. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rant warning...

We told the families yesterday, starting with the moms since my mom was going to be coming through for a day and the MIL lives nearby. We gave them little cards that had a printout of the ultrasound, and wrote "Congratulations, your going to be a Grandma!" on them. My mom just about fell over with excitement and was crying and so so happy. We called my dad and sister as well to tell them and they had the same reaction. It was perfect and wonderful!

Then we invited ourselves over to MIL's house for tea in the afternoon so that we could give her the card. She took it pretty badly. Asked us "are you sure you're ready?" (Like no shit we have been trying for over a year and thinking about it for 8 years.) And then lectured me on the food I was eating, plus proceeded to tell me about all the quack doctor magazines she was reading about brain development and gluten and I just smiled and nodded politely. Then she asked me what baby clothes I was looking for and I mentioned swaddling cloths. "What is that? Why would you do that to a baby?" she asks me. 

We had a big family dinner a few hours afterwards and me and DW cooked a huge meal of our local foods for everyone. My grandma and grandpa were super excited to have a new great grandbaby! But everyone was so excited that I allowed them to say grace (we are not a Christian household and we usually have to keep the boundaries pretty strict for MIL). Grandma passed it on to MIL to say a few words, and she thanked the lord for "preparing my body for pregnancy." WTF. Like, my fertility doctors did a great job of preparing my body for pregnancy, not god. She also didn't approve of any of the fertility drugs I had to take to regulate ovulation.

Honestly the baby is not related to MIL biologically, but I figured it would be like MFI. Instead it's shameful because we are two women, apparently our marriage is still not real in her eyes regardless of what she says out loud. So because I'm pregnant and "don't know the father" (since we used an anonymous sperm donor), the whole thing is wrong in her eyes. 

Help me out, yall. I've been crying all morning, I don't know how to respond to all this. Anyone get mediocre reactions from their folks? How did you deal?
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I can't say I've been in that situation, but I feel for you.  The best I can do in comparison is that my in-laws were outwardly disappointed when we told them our first would be a boy, because my H really wanted a boy and they thought he "deserved" a girl.  Shitty, but not even remotely close to as shitty as your MIL.

Don't let her get to you.  Some people are just bitter and intent on stealing others' happiness to make themselves feel better.  I wouldn't respond to her negativity - sometimes the best recourse is to "kill them with kindness."  You're having a BABY!  Focus on the joy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I'm sorry.  I don't have any good suggestions.  The only thing I could think of would be to sit her down (once you have calmed down and talk to her without getting too emotional) and tell her how much that hurt you.  She doesn't really sound like a woman who will change her mind but at least it will be off your chest and she knows how you feel?  I'm really not sure.  I'm just sorry someone put such a damper on your amazing news.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I, for one, am thrilled for you and your DW. Isn’t science fucking cool to be able to impregnate you with the full participation of your loving spouse and no random dude? Isn’t life great to get to enjoy it with a child that is wanted? Aren’t talented chefs in your household awesome?

If MIL doesn’t get it, her loss.
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess your MIL is something "special." I'm sorry she's treating you and DW like that. Just because the sperm donor is anonymous doesn't make this baby any less real or special. It's up to her to be a positive influence for your family, not a negative. If she chooses to be negative, then it's on her if her family chooses not to be around her. All the hugs lady.
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I hope she realizes soon what a little miracle you’ve got going on. And I hope your own mom isn’t so far away that she can’t be around often for the support you need. 
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess
    I wouldn't even respond to her.  I don't think talking to her is going to make her suddenly see logic and reason. How does DW feel? Is she ok with limiting the amount of time MIL is near and a negative influence until she sees how her words are not welcome?
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess hugs. Your rules are not unreasonable, the majority of your family is thrilled, the town will love a child to dote on. 
    Ps I want to know the menu at your party.
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I'm so sorry you and your wife are going through this when you should just be able to enjoy this happy moment.  If I were you (and this is probably easier to say for you than your wife), I'd try to focus as much as possible on how joyous your own family was.  Your LO is going to get so much love from them!  Do you want it from both sides?  Of course.  Is there work to be done with your wife's family?  Heck yes.  But it's good that you have your family to boost you up while you move forward!
  • Options
    @lyse01 Honestly I always wish I could share my food with everyone here! I roasted a nice 5lb chicken that we raised this year (with olive oil, real celery, parsley, garlic, ancho chili, white wine, bay leaves, yum). Then roasted up local acorn squash, butternut squash, turnips, and radishes in the oven. Also had a beet salad with my beets, orange pieces, goat cheese, and toasted walnuts. And a nice green salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs from our friends and MIL's gardens. I made a lot of each dish to make sure there were leftovers! And DW has been making ice cream, so she served her coffee ice cream for dessert (which doesn't taste as awesome now that I'm pregnant, but it's awesome). Just pretend I can pass you that meal through the internet. 

@ashtuesday You are so right! I've got to try and remember this huge outpouring I'm getting from my folks. My mom is telling everyone and they are all very, very excited and supportive!

Thanks all, I'm getting a bit calmer about all this. DW is having a friendly sit down with MIL as we speak, so we'll see if we can figure out why she's having this reaction. 
  • Options
    @lyse01 I do that all the time, roasted beets are high on my list of favorite foods.

Everyone's welcome to road trip over here ;)
  • Options
    kaitykinskaitykins member
    edited October 2018
    @sheepshepherdess as a quick side note. I’m a Christian and while I probably don’t practice my faith at all like your MIL I do see her prayer a bit differently than you too. 

id say the translation of it is more “I’m so excited and thankful everything came together to create this new baby... yay.... gush.... eek!!”

And less

“everyone must recognize that this is all on God and nothing you did or the drs did helped you experience a pregnancy” 

That being said, I’m glad you had a good conversation with her about your comfort and boundaries and hope that she finds ways to encourage you as you are and how you feel encouraged. <3 

• Options
    I just told my brother. He is in the process of planning a wedding and wanted to run specifics by me before locking down - for April 20, and I'm due the 18th!  He was excited and surprised, but I just want to cry. I HATE telling before second tri. And I really don't want his wedding to be about me in any way. At the same time, we are really close and I know I would've been devastated if it were impossible for him to come to my wedding. It felt wrong to not give him all the information. But still. Waaaah!
  • Options
    @ashtuesday I get not wanting to tell because the 1st tri. Does the 20th feel like cutting it close to you?
  • Options
    @ashtuesday my BIL planned their wedding for 2 weeks after DD was born. She was born a week early but it was still rough getting to the wedding. I didn't say anything because their wedding was/is a big deal and I knew I would just make it work (DH was obviously the best man so I man handled everything on my own). Hopefully they can push it back a week or two so you aren't cutting it too close, but know that regardless of when it is, it will all work out and you will be a hot mess! :)
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess Well, if she actually came on her due date, I'd still be in the hospital lol, so it does feel close!  My daughter came a month early so I know a due date isn't the most reliable thing. I don't expect them to change their plans, but I know if the roles were reversed, I'd want to know so I could make an informed decision.

@mrstmoose Hot mess status is always unavoidable already - I embrace it at this point!

The ridiculous thing is that after the fact, I realized 4/20 is the night before Easter. A lot of our family would've backed out for that reason alone (his wedding requires travel & hotel stay, our cousins with kids probably wouldn't want that for Easter morning).  If I pointed that out first, he 100% would have picked a different date and the babe could've stayed a secret. 😑
  • Options
    @ashtuesday I just realized that Easter is the day before my due date too! My daughter was born Dec 20 so we will have a Christmas and an Easter baby. (Thankfully Easter moves around a lot)
  • Options
    @ashtuesday ugh that sucks, but at least it's just your brother if you had to tell someone before you were totally comfortable with it.  I'm really bummed I'm almost 100% going to miss a very good friend's wedding on 4/26 since I'm due the 24th, but you can't miss your brother's!

@kbirchtree I'll have a Christmas and Easter baby too (12/19 and tentatively 4/24) - I agree I'm grateful Easter is all over March and April!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Piccola1988 our cycles
    must be in sync :) 
  • Options
    I’m almost 15 weeks and kinda thinking it’s time to tell our families officially. Pretty sure MIL knows but isn’t saying anything because we haven’t told her per se (it’s hard to hide when living in the same house, and I respect her for not inserting herself prematurely). We totally missed an opportunity to tell my mom at lunch yesterday because we were totally uncoordinated leading up to lunch. 

I’m liking the lack of fuss. I also want to be fussed over and get the party that DD’s early arrival cheated me out of. We should probably come to some sort of conclusion...
  • Options
    We’ve told most of the close folks to us/work people/church people and now we are going to get some pics done by my sister to announce online/we haven’t had good family pics for a while. Hoping to get some cute shots announcing and then a few just being a family :) have to figure out what we will all wear by Wednesday.... and find my chalk. 
  • Options
    Finally told my Mom yesterday at 11 weeks lol. 

does anyone else feel weird telling people. Like I am ok telling my close work friends but it feels awkward bringing it up. like "guess what I am having a baby". Part of me just really hates the "sqee" I am not a sqee person. My mom was so excited and asked me a million question that I really hate answering. 
    do you think its a boy or girl, how do you feel, what are your name plans, etc. I am a closed off person and I really hate this. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    @kosmo86 I'm with you.. I want to announce half the time.. I can't decide how to because announcements are so staged and I love everybody else's but they just don't feel like me at all. I don't want to feel awkward, but it just feels so private to me, and I know a lot of people who didn't announce because they weren't happy about the news, so I feel bad not wanting to but idkk... debated just waiting for christmas pics and show up with a bump, we'll see. 
    The squee I can handle is selective, I didn't mind at all when BF cried when I told him.

• Options
    @kosmo86 I don't know how to tell work people either.  I know I need to tell at least my team because I will be out a lot but it just feels odd to be like "Oh hey, I'm growing humans!" 

@kaleesi93 we never did a real "announcement" on FB or anything with DS - just never really felt comfortable doing it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @kosmo86 I prefer the raging excitement and "squees" to all the questions right off the bat for sure! And I'd rather know folks were excited than have them be unenthused and feel that they would isolate me after the birth.
  • Options
    @MRDCle that makes me feel better.. I mostly just want to share cute baby things on instagram stories lol maybe that will be my announcement in the end 
  • Options
    @kosmo86 I'm with you - so not a "squee" person!  At 11.5 weeks I finally texted my parents to tell them this weekend, and they live 10 minutes away and are at my house multiple times a week.  It feels awkward and personal, like oh hey, we were doing it and made a baby, yay for us!  Plus I live in fear that H is going to be like "yes and it wasn't really planned" and then I will turn raspberry red and run away.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been debating whether or not I want to make an "official" post on facebook and I think I've decided that I'm not going to. I LOVE seeing other people's posts, but I very rarely put anything on Facebook, so I don't feel like it's me. But it is really weird just randomly telling people, which is what I've started to do since I'm out of the first trimester. It's like, hey, how's it going? Guess what, I'm pregnant. Lol. But I also want certain people to know so they're not upset I didn't tell them. Such a process!
  • Options
    @wildcosmiclove It's perfect!!
  • Options
    @kosmo86 I'm also generally not a fan of telling people.  With my first pregnancy, I remember feeling like my husband and I would be losing something when we told - we had this beautiful thing that was just OURS for a little while, and as soon as everyone else knew, it'd become all about them in a way.  I don't feel that way now, but it is still weird.  I'm a squee-er myself for other people, so I don't mind that, but being pregnant is just a weirdly intimate thing for people to gush over.  We were planning on telling our families this coming weekend, but we won't have my NIPT results - including the baby's sex - until next Friday.  Part of me wants to wait an extra week so that we can just tell about our pregnancy and the sex all at once!
  • Options
    We had our family Thanksgiving dinners this last weekend, and both of them are buffet style, so DH made out that we forgot a dish and ran back in with a big pot while everyone was waiting. He got his sister & my grandma to open the lid and out popped a baby balloon with a copy of the ultrasound tied to the bottom. Everyone is pretty stoked since there are not many prospects at babies from our other siblings/cousins for a while yet. My favorite part was my big bro had the same look of fear and disgust as when we announced DD, haha. 

We plan to put something on Facebook to tell the rest of our friends/family.