October 2018 Moms

Random (8/13)

Re: Random (8/13)

• edited August 2018
    UO I don't like pie or cheesecake. Occasionally I will eat a slice of French silk pie but I need like half a gallon of milk to go with it. Cheesecake only if very thick Graham cracker crust and very little cheese stuff.
    Edit spelling 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mmmm to pie...especially Dutch apple pie or apple crisp. Definitely my favorite thing to make after a trip to the cider mill!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Anyone ever had (or even heard of) Flapper Pie? It’s a pretty old school prairie-specific pie, and it’s my dad’s specialty. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @jennybean80 my mouth just started watering!
  • UO I dislike pie.

The only pie worth eating is Key Lime Pie. Mmmmm
  • @jennybean80 I’m intrigued by Flapper pie, what is it?? 

I want all things Fall right now. Pumpkin pie, crisp fall air, and I just spent 30 minutes looking at mulled wine recipes to make for when we decorate or Christmas tree! 
  • @cagncoo12 It’s a vanilla custard pie with meringue, on a graham crust. Apparently it’s a Canadian thing. 

https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/flapper-pie-the-lost-prairie-pie/
  • Approaching 33 weeks
    I feel like I’m dropping. Is that normal?

On a side note, Summer is killing me and I’m ready to chop off my hair.
  • @knottieamusements THANK YOU! I'm thinking we will do pumpkin first because DD can probably help with that. Then apple. Maybe I will just buy myself a cherry pie instead of even attempting to make one. Lol 
  • @chyvie , LOL when my husband would travel for work I would sneak out and buy a french silk pie and eat the whole thing while he was gone.  no regrets!!  haha

So I've only ever made pumpkin and apple pies but I *just* discovered a cherry pitter since my oldest son is apparently obsessed with cherries lately (holy cow is that the best kitchen tool ever!!) and now i'm thinking maybe I need to try my hand at cherry pie.  I personally don't care for fruit pies (only pumpkin and french silk for me), but I know my husband would love it.  anyone know if there are specific cherries needed for cherry pie?
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• @acciocoffee - Don’t get me wrong- a cherry pie is totally doable- just more work.  And harder to find a decent recipe.  (I’d offer one but there may have been some burning of recipe cards when I got divorced...) My experience is that if the recipe doesn’t require you to cook  the filling to make the syrup, it’s not going to be very good.  Also- there is a difference between fresh cherries, canned cherries, and canned cherry pie filling.  :)

Apple and pumpkin don’t require any cooking, just mix the ingredients together, dump them in the crust, and bake.  And I still thoroughly enjoy making these two!
  • French silk pie was the last thing I ate before having my daughter lol
    I LOVE making apple pie from scratch but I learned to make it when I had an apple tree in my backyard and it feels wrong to go to the store and buy a bag of apples to make an apple pie when the price of the apples cost the same as a ready made apple pie at the bakery.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • @acciocoffee I agree with @knottieamusements. Apple pie is super easy, it just takes time to peel and cut the apples. I use a Pillsbury pie crust from the freezer section because that’s the hardest part and I always mess up the crust. I also prefer to do a apple crisp type of crumble on top, which is basically brown sugar, oats and butter (I’ll try to find the recipe I used last year). But IMO the premade crust is the way to go!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • @spartan4life I'm definitely getting myself some premade crusts. I'm not cleaning up the mess of me trying to make a homemade pie crust.  
  • Making a list of all this pie I want to eat once I'm clear of this GD.....
  • I made a list of things to do this weekend and make pie was added with an underline
  • I want to eat all the pies now! Cherry pie is my favorite, but I don’t discriminate against pie. 
  • I can't wait for Thanksgiving! 
    I can't wait for Thanksgiving with a breastfeeding appetite. 
    And stretchy maternity pants with a big sweater!!!
    That sounds amazing!
  • @chyvie my OB is away for our Thanksgiving weekend ...so I am praying this baby comes early like it's brother ;) I don't really want whatever on call doctor happens to be working...
    Plus we'd be around for Turkey Dinner!
  • There is a recipe called Pumpkin Yummy Dessert that is my weakness! It is sooo good and I just love it! It's pretty easy to make and it's good gluten free too! I'm going to have to make some tonight now...
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • I love Apple pie but peeling and coring apples makes me stabby. And one time I cut the apples up after forgetting to peel them. So that was a waste. 

I would eat pumpkin pie year round if I could. It’s so justifiable for breakfast.
  • I don’t peel the apples when I make apple pie.  I also don’t core them - I just cut them in a way that removes the core as I go. Basically like this:

https://youtu.be/P3fvVNUPEng
  • I like pie and now I want pumpkin pie. Or I'd be ok with apple or cherry crumble... I'm all about the purchasing of pies. I can make pie, I choose to allow others to do the work and I'll reap the benefit  :D
    I'm just hoping I can eat everything this Christmas, much less Thanksgiving. DS is allergic to dairy - so nothing while bfing. Ugh. We do homemade ice cream... mmmmm. Now that's freaking awesome. 
  • we made strawberry rhubarb pie last night (thanks to this thread) and it was delicious for breakfast. i need to take advantage of all the rhubarb while it is still growing...should take me right into apple/pumpkin season!
    they are predicting that this will be our last really warm weekend of the season. i hope they are right.  :)