January 2019 Moms
Options

I wish I had known that!

1235»

Re: I wish I had known that!

• Options
    I asked my midwife today what her policy is, and she said I can eat and drink whatever whenever until I get an epidural, at which point nothing is allowed anymore. lol. So basically, have a party until the point of no return. She also told me that if contractions wake me up in the middle of the night, just go back to sleep unless they're coming really often. She's pretty chill. 
    We're talking at term, here. Obviously not about something going wrong.
  • Options
    @bradleysmommy28 I'm surprised you were able to eat right after your c-section!

I feel like I went forever without food. DH and I ate dinner at 6pm before going in for our induction. DD was born VIA emergency c-section around 24 hours after I ate, and then I wasn't allowed any food for 12 hours after the c-section. I think I finally ordered breakfast at 8am the next morning. So I went about 38 hours with no food. I was able to have some juice overnight between the c-section and breakfast I believe.

This time my c-section will be scheduled but I'm assuming I'll still have to observe the 12 hour after rule. Though maybe it's different for planned?
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    One other strange note re: food and c/sections. With my twins I had a c/s and could not keep any food down for like a week afterwards, and had this awful back/stomach pain which the nurses insisted was "gas." It was actually a side effect or complication from my spinal block affecting the muscle/nerve next to my spine, and my chiropractor was the one who identified it and immediately relieved the pain. If you feel like something is off, trust yourself and advocate for yourself! I kind of can't believe the hospital nurses dismissed my complaints the way they did and actually discharged me in the state I was in.
  • Options
    I wish I had known that sometimes a circumcision isn't possible. We had planned to circumcise DS, but he was preterm and only around 4.5 pounds. The doctor wouldn't perform the circ because he was too small. The surgeon we contacted afterwards wouldn't perform it until he was a year old, and at that point, we decided we weren't going to put him through an optional surgery that required general anesthesia. He'll remain uncircumcised, and I'm totally fine with that (it was DH that wanted it anyways). 

P.S. General anesthesia is only a requirement for the surgery when the baby is no longer a newborn. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options

@kns1988 I'm totally surprised they didn't give you the option before you went home with him.  My son was a preemie also (31w4d) and was 4.2#.  They didn't do the circumcision immediately but they did it a few days before we left the hospital.  Even by the time we were discharged he was still only 5lbs.

• Options
    @bradleysmommy28 yeah, it wasn't an option for us. We were only in the hospital for a week, so he was actually smaller (4 lbs) when we left than immediately after he was born. 

• Options
    I thought of another one-
    I wish I would have known how to use the breast pump and what to expect BEFORE I needed to use it. I had no idea what I was doing the first time I went to pump, other than "somehow this thing is going to get the milk out of my boobs and into a bottle." DD had latch issues from the beginning but we suffered through for almost six weeks until she wasnt gaining weight and the lactation consultant finally suggested I switch to pumping and bottle feeding to see if that would get her weight up. (It didn't, and we ended up supplementing with formula to make up the difference in what she needed every day.) Pumping/let down gave me a skin-crawly feeling every single time. I just wanted to rip them off my boobs. Unfortunately, I think this is in the range of normal reactions to pumping. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    @jandd2014 you reminded me of one! I didn't know that letdown can bring on strange emotional reactions. I would feel oddly a second before the letdown, then it would fade. Almost like feeling down; not quite depressed feelings or sad, just this odd down feeling. But it would only last probably 10-30 seconds total. So weird! I googled it at teh time and it can be normal.

@Cait32 I agree! I wish I had the pump ready for me at the beginning. I did have a family member tell me to start pumping between one or two feedings a day to trick my body into oversupply in order to build a huge stash for when I went back to work, but I didn't order the pump until a few days after she was born (when my boobs felt like they were going to explode and I wished I had a pump)
    BUT, I've heard you should not practice the pump beforehand, since it can induce labor. Having it and being familiar with how to use it and clean it would be smart, just don't try it until you're full term
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    Did contractions make anyone else's hands tingle? I knew when they were coming because my hands would start to tingle. It was the weirdest sensation, and it happened with the contractions after birth for a day or so, too. 

• Options
    On the note of getting to know breast pumps before needing it, I got so excited today when I found out the lactation center here has a class on pumps. I am going to sign up for it for sure now thanks to everyone’s advice