January 2019 Moms
Options

I wish I had known that!

Re: I wish I had known that!

• Options
    ^^Also, I think that they have to throw out anything that you leave in your room even if you don't use it... and they will likely bill you for it... might as well take it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes to this ^^ 

its ok if it feels overwhelming and you just need to cry! Hormones are a crazy thing, and mix them with exhaustion and you turn into a mess sometimes. And it’s okay. Just take it a day at a time and before you know it you will be through that newborn fog.

The nursery is amazing if you have that option! With my second, my husband went home to be with my daughter at night time so I was alone at the hospital with the baby. The nurses offered to take my son down in his bassinet to the nurses station to hang out with them for a few hours. It was only 3-4 hours but that sleep was so needed for me and I appreciated it so much. Don’t feel like you need to be superwoman! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yes, I also wish I had sent DD to the nursery. I really wanted to keep her with me the whole time, but she wouldn’t sleep in the little bassinet and I was falling asleep holding her. I broke down and cried because I was so tired. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I said this in the other thread but I got charged for all the “free” stuff in the hospital (diapers, extra peri bottles and pads etc). It didn’t show on the standard bill I got but when I requested the detailed bill (due to some complications etc) it all showed up on there. But you likely get charged for whatever hits the room so I’d say just grab whatever is left when you leave but don’t stockpile earlier in the hopes of getting extra freebies. 

• Options
    galactickatesgalactickates member
    edited August 2018
    @Potterphile that probably depends on your insurance though,  everything after my OOP max which we'll easily hit will be 100% covered which means - might as well stock pile...

I would just advise to check your insurance.  
  • Options
    @galactickates definitely insurance and hospital dependent. My total bill for the hospital stay/birth was less than $2000 - and I didn’t have an eventful pregnancy or medical year period- so didn’t hit my OOP max on that which I think is $2500. 
  • Options
    sweetyjenjsweetyjenj member
    edited August 2018
    @potterphile everyone I know has always hit their OOPM (unless your OOPM is ridiculously high) so might as well take what you can, since it's covered by insurance.
    I can't believe your total was only like $2000!!!!!!! I can't even fathom! I had a vaginal delivery that cost $15000 or so, and DD was $4500 for standard stuff. My SIL had a c-section 8 months prior to my delivery at the same place I delivered and hers was over $35,000. Our hospital isn't even like a 'top in the country' or whatever. I didn't realize that hospitals would vary that much!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    @sweetyjenj i was pretty shocked to see $2,000 as well. My insurance gave the average price of delivery to be about $12,500. My OOP max is $2,500 so I didn't even imagine it would be less.
  • Options
    Man, I knew my insurance was total shit but my OOPM for our family is 6850 and I didn't hit it when I had DD2 but I did the following year with surgery. I was surprised by the low cost of DD1 and DD2, but I can't remember the numbers now. I'm sure I'll be close to my OOPM at the end of this year but with our babies coming in January it starts all over. 
  • Options
    pttomatopttomato member
    edited August 2018
    Wow, our OOP max was $5000 last time and I hit that before delivery. My L&D charge was $62,000 lowered to $16,000 by insurance for an induced vaginal birth. I sort of feel like they pull the numbers out of thin air when I see bills like that though. How can something cost $62,000 but then my insurance negotiated price is so much lower. There’s a $48,000 discount for having insurance?! Eta: The $16,000 was what insurance paid. We didn’t pay anything.
  • Options
    Yikes!  Your insurance costs make me so much more thankful for our health insurance!  Our actual bill for my stay, the birth, my postpartum stay and DS's NICU stay was over $250,000 and my out of pocket cost was $200.  We have no deductible and our plan is strictly co-pays.  For a hospital stay (no matter how long or for what) there is a $100 co-pay per stay/per person so I had a co-pay and DS had a co-pay.
  • Options
    Man, I knew NJ was epensive but my hospital bill for DD was insane. In fairness I was induced, had a c section, then had complications and was in the hospital for 7 days (and therefore so was DD). DD also spent a day in the NICU. My bill was 97,000 and DDs bill was 30,000! Obviously our insurance didn’t actually pay that much since they have deals with the hospital. 

Thankfully our insurance is awesome and everything maternity is covered 100% so my portion of the bill was $0.
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Options
    Man, I knew NJ was epensive but my hospital bill for DD was insane. In fairness I was induced, had a c section, then had complications and was in the hospital for 7 days (and therefore so was DD). DD also spent a day in the NICU. My bill was 97,000 and DDs bill was 30,000! Obviously our insurance didn’t actually pay that much since they have deals with the hospital. 

Thankfully our insurance is awesome and everything maternity is covered 100% so my portion of the bill was $0.

That bill is nuts! It almost doesn't even make sense for them to make up a bill like that. 
  • Options
    BitterBetty12BitterBetty12 member
    edited August 2018
    @dragonette505 I agree! I mean I was in the hospital 5 nights more than most people who deliver. And because of the complications I had extra medicine and procedures. The c section alone I think was billed for $9000. And DDs one night in the nicu was like $14000. But still!
    DD Born 06/23/17 3

• Options

Maryland gets a bit high too but I actually expected more than the $250k.  I had 9 days before labor, emergency C-section, 5 days post partum and DS had a 21 day NICU stay so it looks like NJ wins for most expensive! LOL
  • Options
    All my maternity care was covered by one copay. I had an induced vaginal birth... I’m in a major midwestern city and gave birth at a fairly prestigious hospital. Maybe my insurance is just good? 
  • Options
    I agree about trying to be a super mom. I did everything “right” with DS (my first) 100% on the time and was seriously teetering on the verge of sanity, and completely lost any sense of who I was outside of supermom. It hurt my marriage and it hurt myself.

I’ve gotten more laid back and go easier on myself with each kid we have, and I actually think they’re happier because Mom is happier. DH is happier, too. It’s been better on the whole fam.
  • Options
    Obv only applicable to me but might be worth you seeing if your insurance has similar info.... this is in our basic open enrollment pack every year (there are one or two other examples too).  I had a tear that needed to be repaired as well as a blood transfusion and some other related care so mine was higher than 1140 but not by a crazy lot. 
  • Options
    I know Aetna has a tool on their website for members that you can see the estimated cost for procedures (including vaginal or cesarean birth) at specific hospitals and facilities. They show you the estimated charge from the hospital, the in-network insurance rate, and your estimated cost based on your plan.
    Me: 30   DH:32
    Dating: 2/2007   Married: 4/2011  
    TTC #1: 9/2016
    *TW*

BFP #1: 11/26/2016 - MC: 12/6/2016
    BFP #2: 3/9/2017 - CP: 3/10/2017
    08/2017: DH's SA = normal
    08/2017: Low progesterone (4.6) all other BW normal
    11/2017: HSG Clear; Pelvic Ultrasound Normal; and AMH, FSH, and Estradiol normal
    12/2017: 1,000mg Metformin
    12/2017: 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: 100mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    01/2018: RE Consult
    03/2018: 5mg Letrozole + 50 units Gonal-F + 500 μg Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #3: 4/1/2018 - CP: 4/4/2018
    04/2018: 5mg Letrozole + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP #4: 5/2/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My insurance has no deductible or co-insurance amount, just copay. It's $200 per night in the hospital. *TW Loss* When I had a miscarriage in February I had a visit to the ER, emergency D&C, and general anesthesia (and whatever all else happens in ERs/hospitals), and was there about 12 hours from 5/6pm to early the next morning. Total bill was around $16,000, but I just had to pay $200 for the 1 night. So, fingers crossed the hospital delivery will be $400-$600. No clue what to expect with baby's bill though. Also - I am guessing that since I just get the $200/night charge, I should definitely go ahead and stock up on items in the room (diapers etc)?
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

I guess NJ really is insanely expansive. This is the bill for an uncomplicated cesarean birth for me + baby (including 4 nights in the hospital) at the hospital I delivered DD at. So now it makes sense why mine was so expansive last time!
    DD Born 06/23/17 3

• Options
    My insurance sucks compared to last time with DD. Noe  we have a $5600 deductible, after deductible we pay 20% with OOP max $8k. We wrote a check to OB for his services, NT scan, and A/S for $3,7xx. I've paid a few more bills so we're probably at $4k right now. I'll have a bill from MFM for ultrasound ( god i don't want to know how much). So my hospital bill will probably be around $3500. And because I'm expecting for LO to arrive around Christmas we will have met it for about 10 days and then it all starts over
  • Options
    Ugh - feel so bad for all of you with annual maximums/deductibles to meet and babies due in January. It's like you'll get hit twice between prenatal care and the birth!
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Kabazaba said:
    Ugh - feel so bad for all of you with annual maximums/deductibles to meet and babies due in January. It's like you'll get hit twice between prenatal care and the birth!
    I know! I am so thankful we happen to have a plan this time that starts July 1. High-risk pregnancy and birth is so expensive.
  • Options
    I can’t even imagine paying to have a baby. Our insurance sucks in a lot of ways, but I’ve never paid anything for any of my babies! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @beachmama14 that's one of the reasons were only having two kids. We literally can't afford to have another one. It's so ridiculous. Not that I would want a ton of kids but I would like for money to not be a deciding factor. 
  • Options
    So I got a bill in the mail from my OB to *prepay* for labor and delivery... I work in insurance and had never heard of such a thing! I posted on FB and apparently it's common.... but so odd! Esp since we will deliver in Jan, after the start of a new plan year, so the amount will be completely different.... 

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

• Options
    wkuandrea said:
    So I got a bill in the mail from my OB to *prepay* for labor and delivery... I work in insurance and had never heard of such a thing! I posted on FB and apparently it's common.... but so odd! Esp since we will deliver in Jan, after the start of a new plan year, so the amount will be completely different.... 
    Yeah, at my OB, they gave me an estimate for all the costs related to prenatal care and an uncomplicated vaginal delivery. I’m already making payments. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    @wkuandrea I pre-pay with my OB as well. They break it down into monthly payments. But that is just the payment for my OB, ultrasounds, and prenatal care, does not include the cost of hospital stay. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also pre-paying with my OB, which I did with my last two as well (actually with a different office, so it seems pretty standard here). I had not even thought about the fact we'll probably hit out OOPM this year and next year after we get the hospital bill, but oh well.
  • Options
    I wish I would have known that there is no shame in formula feeding. My milk never came in with DD and I cried daily feeling like I was unable to provide for her. She is now a happy healthy with a CRAZY strong immune system! I didnt do anything wrong by giving her formula! I was doing her a disservice being so unhappy from guilt.

I wish I would have known to ask for a pump while in the hospital! DD was jaundice so the nurse made us supplement. DD would latch for 2 second then break off screaming in hunger. I think this is why my milk never came in. 

I wish I would have known after they broke my water I would be in bed and not able to really get up or move. My goal was to go without an epidural but I wasnt able to move the way I wanted to cope with the pain. 

I wish I would have shopped around for a pediatrician BEFORE giving birth. In regards to what a previous person said about a doctor shrugging off your concerns because you a nervous FTM, never allow this. Our first pediatrician was awful. She didnt listen to our concerns told us that we were wrong for supplement with formula. All in all just terrible. So we left and found an AMAZING pediatrician who listens to every concern we have and takes time to reassure you! When it comes to your child trust your gut. If you feel like something is off it's worth mentioning it and if your doctor shrugs you off instead of listening and reassuring find a new dr.

Lastly I wish I would have known more about the epidural process. The lady messed mine up so it was fully effective and wore off too soon. My goal this time is no epidural I got to 8 CM last time before getting it. There is nothing wrong with getting one and there is nothing wrong with going natural do what works for you!
  • Options
    @libertymomrn just over here tearing up reading your post ...darn hormones I swear I cry so easily these days lol 
    BabyFruit Ticker