February 2019 Moms

The Great Name Thread!

Re: The Great Name Thread!

• @grebretso I like that name!  It doesn't sound too "out there" to me!

@eggsandwich2019 my DS is Luca and by far my most favorite boy name ever! haha  Baby boy #2 is not fairing well in the name department.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • kayjay44kayjay44 member
    edited September 2018
    Eilev is kind of out there, but I think you could get away with it in Seattle. 

@grebretso - As a lover of Scandinavian/Norwegian names who speaks some Norwegian but is American born and raised, you can always run names by me.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Loading the player...
  • @grebretso that is not at all out there as far as non-english name go in my books. Straightforward prononciation, straightforward spelling and not likely to be completely butchered by someone who has zero idea. I really like it!

@eggsandwich2019 Luca is a beautiful name!!
  • @grebretso I actually really like that name! I’m partial to uncommon names though. 

@eggsandwich2019 both Luca and Oliver are cute! 
  • @grebretso I think Eilev is really sweet! I even pronounced it correctly in my head the first time. When I can't sound it out is typically how I end up feeling iffy about unusual names. I really really like it though.

@eggsandwich2019 Luca and Oliver are both SO cute! My cousin has an Oliver and they call him Ollie, which gives me all the warm fuzzies for some reason.
  • Yay, I’m so glad you all like it! I have a good feeling about this name. We don’t even know the sex yet, but now I won’t feel so lost if it’s a boy!
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • @hollyvenelle I LOVE the name Norah/Nora! It was always a front runner for me when I was younger and imagined future kids, but it’s the current “it” name in Norway and I’m a special snowflake. It’s not that common in the US though! Also, H’s previous cat was named Norma which is a little too close.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • @hollyvenelle- Huge fan of the name Norah 
  • I like Eilev,  Norah, Luca, and Oliver! 
    I still think that this kid may never get a name.  Names H liked 2 months ago are now too old, ''we can't name her Eleanor, we're having a baby not a 70 year old grandma" or too long (Meredith) or too weird (Amelia or Fiona)... Ugh!
  • @thechickendance None of those names are old or weird! They’re all good names, Eleanor is coming back and the others are pretty much timeless. Sounds like your H is just being picky! 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Thanks everyone for the Luca and Oliver support, I am going to keep up the pressure on DH hehe - @hannahbananas11 I love the nickname Ollie! So sweet. 
    @grebretso +1 on Eilev being a great name
    @thechickendance Eleanor was high on my list of girl names, and you can nickname her Ellie when she is little if that helps your husband have a "cuter" name to say :smile: all of the other names are great, too
  • thanks @grebretso and @eggsandwich2019 - he is picky, and Ellie might be my saving grace for pushing that one through! 
  • @grebretso @sjnsjnsjn @thechickendance Thanks guys! We've been talking about it, and we may flip it and go with Olivia Anorah or Olivia Lenora. I'm so undecisive and H is so laid back...getting either of us to commit to anything is akin to torture at the moment. But I want to call her something besides "nugget" lol. 

I like Eilev @grebretso! And your plan to bombard him with horrible names so he comes around! 

@thechickendance you could alter it as well to Eleanora, call her Ellie or Nora! (It may sound less "old" to him with the -a) 
  • Just saw ome of my FB friends with a baby Judge
  • @grebretso I really like Eilev, but I know where I live(very suburban Texas), it would definitely stand out as unique. I'm ok with that, my DD's name is Arabella and that stands out, too. But I know my DH is much more apprehensive about having a unique boy name. We're leaning towards Everett, still. 
  • @thechickendance Eleanor is my front runner for a girl name! I love all the nn options. Ele is probably one of my faves! Ele Woods from Legally Blonde hehe.
  • @eggsandwich2019 I have a friend that is married to a native Spanish speaker, they named thier son Lucas since it sounds the same in English and Spanish. Luca should definitely work!

My criteria for DD was a Latin name, which DH hated but eventually it grew on him. This time around we picked a southern name so he can’t complain. 
  • We had settled on a girl name, Lily Jane. Then found out it is a boy. We went from Oliver to Quinton to Axel to Cooper to Ranger to Jasper to Gryphon(nn griff) and now Remington(nn remy). James will be the middle name after a cousin of mine that passed when I was younger. Just got to find something that will go well! Hubby wants it to be unique. Guess we'll see!
  • Jasper is always a good choice! Our 5yo is Jasper Maurice❤️
  • I think we’re pretty settled on Brighton for DD2. Don’t know if we’ll ever decide on a middle name though. We want it to be a family name (DD1’s middle name is after DH’s grandmother). Our front runner mn had been Jean (for my grandmother), but then we decided we didn’t want to saddle a kid with BJ as initials. Is that silly, or would you avoid that too?
  • @wrensnest so I work in a Middle School, so I feel uniquely qualified to give an opinion here :)

Most of the kids (at my school at least) have no idea what their classmates middle names are or even their middle initials. I wouldn't worry about it! Plus, kids are going to be a-holes no matter what, so I'd give your baby a name you love
  • So my favorite name apparently are in the top ten for the past few years and that’s just too popular for me. So I’m open to any suggestions or recommendations of girls names that you have
  • @shellperry
    What were your names? I've found that just because something is at the top of the popularity list doesn't mean there will be 6 of them in his or her class. We went with Benjamin and Eli for our twins and figured Ben would be the one that was more popular. Turned out there are 3 Eli's and only our Ben!
    And our youngest is Jack and he's the only one. Not even a Jackson in his kindergarten class!
  • @bellebaby221- Same. My son is jackson which is of course known as a popular name, but they are no others in his whole Montessori!
  • @shellperry since I’m doomed to never have girls, I’ll give you my girl names. I was torn between Larissa and either Karissa or Carissa.
  • @shellperry I feel that in my soul. My girl name has been Charlotte Elizabeth FOREVER. And then princess Charlotte was born. And now everyone is named Charlotte. 

For this lady lady we were between Savannah, Grace, Caroline, Adeline, Adelaide, Katherine, Eleanor or Magnolia (which is what were ultimately going with). 
  • @bellebaby221 they were Aira,   Aurora , and Isabel but all are supper trendy and we have a vary popular last name
  • @disneybaby84 it took 3 boys to get to a girl and it was 2 and a half years after my husband got snipped this happen so I was completely unprepared 
  • @shellperry none of those names are particularly popular in the Midwest. I know 2 Aurora’s between age 0-4, no Aira’s, and no Isabel’s. I know a couple of Isabella’s. 
  • @shellperry I don’t know any babies with any of those names!
  • I only know 1 Isabella and no one with the other names. I think Aurora is lovely!
  • @shellperry also don’t know any girls with those names! I say go for it either way. 
  • Great thanks guys I look it up online and all three were in the top 10 last yet
  • Great thanks guys I look it up online and all three were in the top 10 last yet
    That list you pulled  is based solely on the names chosen by members of the BabyCenter app in 2017. You’d be better off looking into the social security database of names which pulls directly from birth certificates. You can look at naming trends there too.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

• And this is top 30 from 2010-2017. My son’s name is Elijah (born in 2011), and honestly, I don’t know a million Eli’s.