February 2019 Moms

The Great Name Thread!

Re: The Great Name Thread!

• @episcowitch thank you I’m feeling so discouraged about names right now! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My SO is so incredibly unhelpful on the name front. Everytime I ask him for suggestions, he throws out joking BS answers. I really want his opinion since this is his first biological kiddo. We are also team green, so having to come up with two different names probably isn't helpful.

I love Naomi Claire for a girl. I have nothing yet for a boy. SOs last name is greek in origin, so I need something that flows with a 4-syllable last name. 

My DDs name is Gaelic in origin and spelling (Aisling), so coming up with a sibling name that doesn't conflict is also difficult. 
  • Loading the player...
  • No name yet here. DH has no suggestions and the best I can get is a maybe.  We are team green and I have a feeling we may have a short list by the time they are born but likely won't be narrowed down to one name each.  

So far we have a list of maybes. For girl names we have Lea, Hazel, Vera, and Quinn. For boy names we have Quinn and Logan.  Boy names are hard. 

Lea was my great grandmothers name and a front runner for me but DH isn't sold. 

• @mechekitty I'm Greek... hear ya on the long last name thing. I'm lucky that DH's last name is 2 syllables! 
    Did you get around the Greek naming tradition? Sometimes it can be a pain, but it is nice bc it helps take the work out of it. lol
  • @BourbonBiscuits , I have a list of names I've thrown out... hand it to dh every few days and he crosses most off.  He has one boy name he likes that was his idea but im not entirely sold.. ehhhh.

@nursemom913 , sounds like you're atleast further along than us, if I could just get him to add to the darn list!!

@lifeislove87 , which app? I tried the kinder one... no luck so far, for names I like anyway but I messed the setting up and Im getting all these names I can't even pronounce, Lol.
  • No name forever over here  :D  

DH and I only like a few names each and none of them are the same or similar. We hate each others'. Except Cabot for a boy. So of course this will be a girl.
  • @notthecheat Cabot is so sweet! Could it be gender neutral?
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • @mechekitty I'm Greek... hear ya on the long last name thing. I'm lucky that DH's last name is 2 syllables! 
    Did you get around the Greek naming tradition? Sometimes it can be a pain, but it is nice bc it helps take the work out of it. lol
    What's the tradition? 

@Venessa88 a shortlist for each is my plan. I hope I don't regret it but I really don't want to be married to one name before even seeing the baby. That being said, we already have clear frontrunners so it might be more accurately described as a name for each and backups. 
  • @cass06_07 it’s literally called BabyName, so far though no luck 
  • @episcowitch I don't think I would name a girl Cabot, though I suppose one could. If LO is a girl I would consider Cabot as a mn
  • megpants209megpants209 member
    edited September 2018
    @ohsunnydays and @mechekitty another one with a Greek name here. I don't like how any boys names sound with it. I was set on a girls name from day one but still nothing for a boy and I don't see it changing... this is why I'm convinced we're having a boy lol.
  • @allthingsgo Those are both beautiful names, and they go so well together! Yay!!
  • @grebretso thank you very much! I’m so happy with them! 
  • @allthingsgo that is such a beautiful name!! 
  • The boy names are not coming over here. We've X'd way more than I ever expected. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77- We have not even begun a mutual list. I have a list that has many from last time (this is our second son), and my SO kind of shrugged at it.  I really don't want to be post delivery with another "baby boy XYZ" and no real name!
  • I think we've narrowed it down to 2 names. We'll probably decide after we meet her. 

Anna Elizabeth
    Leah Rose

I'm so torn though. I love Anna because that is my grandmother's given name and she is a kick ass 90 year old that had been very influential in my life. 
    But Leah has been one of my favorite girl names forever and I just adore Leah Rose. 

Good thing we have a while!
  • @allthingsgo love love love Eloise!! It's so cute for a little girl but also beautiful for a mature woman. 
  • team no name boy as well. I like a few names here and there, but nothing has stood out or been amazing.
  • @becks_726 thank you so much! That’s part of the reason we liked it so much, it sounded good for a child and adult. All the nicknames we could or she could potentially use is a nice plus too!
  • @allthingsgo- It's lovely plus it comes with it's own iconic book and portrait!
  • My husband still won’t really entertain discussing names seriously. He doesn’t like Violet for a girl though  :'(. Our last name (well his/my kids, I kept my maiden) does end with the same -et sound and I didn’t really consider that.
  • @sjnsjnsjn yes! My husband already ordered the book! I had no idea it existed but he’s a school teacher so he educated me lol. 
  • @allthingsgo- It's hilarious to me, and sort of stands in its own place in history and time (like references to people smoking in fancy hotel public areas and whatnot).  My son loves it but doesn't have the attention span for more than a chunk at a time.
  • So during my toddler's bedtime protest last night, while we were trying to ignore his ridiculousness, my SO and I finally put each of our brainstorm lists on a pad to put on our fridge.  You guys, his names are terrible.  One is NOMAD.  Last time he had a lot of bad ideas too but I think these are worse. Lawdy lawdy.
  • @sjnsjnsjn Omg Nomad just made coffee come out of my nose. That is hysterical.
  • Who freaking knows? I asked him and laughed at him, and he at first said he was kidding, but then he transferred it from his iPhone notes to "the list," and I was like WHAAAA, and it became clear that nope, it was a real suggestion. 😳 HARD. PASS.
  • My husband has not really contributed and I have gone through the entire Kinder list. Just not inspired yet.
  • my father suggested guido... which Im pretty sure is like offensive??  But I think he was serious and just didn't know??
  • I've finally, for the ten millionth time, found a boy name I like that H isn't into. I'll have to admit it's a weird one, but it just feels right! Do you non-Norwegian speaking folks think the name Eilev is too out there? I really love it, but I can't decide if I should be mad H is shooting down all my names, or if I just need to realize the names I like are just too foreign for Americans. 
  • @grebretso honestly, I don’t know anything about Norwegian names, and that reads Russian to me  :D  However, my midwestern inability to pronounce things correctly does not mean that they are too bad or out there. Unless it is “out there” in your native language?
  • @cmjenkies Ha, I can definitely see how it reads Russian! It's not exactly common in Norway right now, but it's a very traditional Norse name. Eilif is the more common version of it (which definitely reads Norwegian!), but I don't like that spelling. Eilev is pronounced Eye-lev, so it's pretty easy to say! 
  •  DH is driving me nuts with name suggesting. I can pick whatever (within reason- meaning he has vetoed a bunch already) first name, but wants the middle name to be a last name from his mom's side of the family. I'm in social justice work and honestly can't stand the idea of my kid with Proffit as a middle name. 

Maybe I can give him the name Non or anti-capitalist. I know it's not spelled the same, but it just makes my skin crawl. </end hormonal hippie rant>
    I had a coach in high school you wanted to be a professor so he had us call him Prof. Sometimes I wondered if he thought of himself at a profet.
  • DH and I are both leaning toward Waylon Judge as a front runner for a boys name. I’ve always thought I would have traditional names, but Judge is not at all. Is it too far out there?
  • My top two names right now are Luca and Oliver, but DH is not into either of them. The criteria is that they have to work in Spanish since DH is a native Spanish speaker and weirdly many of my fave French names don't work in Spanish  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Of course he has no good ideas, which seems to be a theme around here hah