The Great Name Thread!

Re: The Great Name Thread!

• Options
    Ok. What are some boy versions of (way of honoring):

Constance, Lynn, Nancy, Ruth, Lorraine

I absolutely love the last 3 for a girl but DH has vetoed -_-

TIA 
    Conrad, Connor, Leonard, Rayne, Loren, Lenny

I don’t necessarily love those options but they are close-ish. 
  • Options
    In with you @episcowitch! Your family deserves some representation, if you want it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah @episcowitch you have full naming rights for this one lol. 
  • Options
    @episcowitch yeah, all your family on this one. He had his! 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    This is baby #5 for H and me, (6 for H)

we are going with Anastasia Clare. My grandmothers were Anne and Clare. We went with Anastasia because we thought a longer name fit better with our other children. 
    We already have
    evangeline louise
    casimir john
    ignatius hayes
    fitzgerald Rooney 
    and SD Victoria rose 
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits
    Maybe Lia? Might be a stretch. I think you got the most likely ones. I love the name. 

We talked last night about names. Sounds like we're about 99% settled on Anna as the first name. It's the middle name that might be trouble. Claire, Marie and Grace are the front runners. 

DH threw out Claire Anna as a possibility. I love Claire and Anna is my grandmother's name and I would love to honor her that way. Just not sure it sounds right. Our last name is one syllable so if we went with Claire I was thinking a longer middle name like Elizabeth. I guess we have time to decide!
  • Options
    sjnsjnsjnsjnsjnsjn member
    edited September 2018
    @BourbonBiscuits- My jealousy is full bore! Magnolia has been "my name" for my future (never to be) daughter since I was with my ex husband, long long ago, ha!  But I am now having my second boy at 42, so alas, I will never have a daughter but oh well.  I am so thrilled that is your girl's name; it is the GREATEST name, imo, and Maggie, oh what a wonderful nickname.... I can hear rod Stewart singing the song now ;) 
  • Options
    @bellebaby221 I’m a little bit biased but I love Claire ! My DD is Claire Christine ! 
  • Options
    @sjnsjnsjn you’ve convinced me! Hopefully it’s some consolation that there will be a little Magnolia out in the world ❤️
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits- It really isssss! Yay!
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits LOVE the name. 
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • Options
    So we found yesterday that I’m having another boy! We didn’t have any names picked out for a boy, so I’ve been working now on trying out different ideas. Which do you guys like better out of these two:

Nathan 
    Nathaniel

The nickname for both would be Nate. We still don’t have a middle name even close to being chose.  Lol
  • Options
    @PurplePoppy424 I like them both so I’m no help, but I would choose depending on the middle name and which sounds best.
  • Options
    @PurplePoppy424
    I love Nathan and Nathaniel. My cousin is Nathaniel Phillip. 
    I agree with @cmjenkies. The middle name will probably help you choose. 
    Congrats!
  • Options
    We have a ton of time. I have no idea why I am perseverating on this. I think we have narrowed it down to two names: 

Galen Thomas 
    or 
    Chiron Thomas

I'm afraid that teachers will butcher Chiron, but kids are cruel by nature, so I keep thinking of the horrible ways they will torment a Galen. 

Am I overthinking this? 
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • Options
    @bellebaby221 I love the name Claire!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @episcowitch I’m personally not a fan of Chiron and would probably butcher it too. I like Galen a lot tho. Kids are mean no matter what, he could have a normal name and it wouldn’t matter. 
  • Options
    Momtuition is starting to say that this one may be a girl. I was originally thinking about Maxine (nn Max) Leigh but am really stuck on Violet (nn Lettie) lately. Thoughts? 

Still thinking Maxwell (nn Max) Lee for a boy, but I’m not sure. I also like Cooper and Clark.

Lee/Leigh are both family names. 
  • Options
    @cmjenkies
    I think Maxine is super cool. Very strong don't mess with this girl kind of name. 
    Love Violet too. And the nn Lettie is awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with either. 
    I'd vote Maxwell or Clark. But that's mostly because I know ton of Coopers right now. 
  • Options
    You can't go wrong with any of those @cmjenkies! I think our name taste is very similar. 

@episcowitch I honestly wouldn't know how to pronounce Chiron... Is it like Byron with a K? 

We have completely stalled... We have a few options with frontrunners but nothing has been added in weeks and I don't feel like we have enough of a shortlist yet. 
  • Options
    @episcowitch not sure how to pronounce Chiron, but if  you taught me, I could learn. But I think you should name your kid whatever you want. Teacher here.... I promise, teachers will try their hardest to learn your child's name. We see the importance of names. I see 450+ students a week, and know how to properly say each of their names.  The only thing I see is that you might have to teach your kiddo to correct someone who says their name incorrectly. And chances are, their little classmates will chime in to correct the teacher (or whoever is saying it wrong) too. :) Just my 2 cents. 
  • Options
    @cmjenkies I Love Violet. It was my great grandmother's name and she was a strong woman. Also, Violet the flower is a wonderful healing herb. 

@becks_726 @ohsunnydays Chiron is pronounced like Byron but the K sound. Kai would be the nn.

I like Chiron because he was the centaur of legend that was wise and just. He devoted his time to study and healing rather than just being a party pony.  
  • Options
    @espicowitch the pronunciation is straightforward - I wouldn't let that deter you. It's a very nice name. 
  • Options
    @episcowitch I actually like Chiron now that I know how it’s pronounced. :# I was giving it a strong “Ch” sound like my name (Chelsea) before.
  • Options
    @episcowitch- "Party pony!" Bahaha

We are nowhere with names. We're having our second boy and we were an F- the first time too. We still had a list with 10 names by the time I had him and the only way he ended up named (funnily the first name we ever discussed) within a short time of birth was because he had to go to NICU and he was going as "baby boy," and I freaked out.
    so, we have a bad track record of names...
    As previously mentioned, I had a girl name all ready since forever!  But alas... ;)
  • Options
    We decided pretty quickly on names which was amazing. 

For a girl we both loved Sienna Rose and for a boy we agreed on Isaac Mathew. 

We wanted out bubs middle name to mean something so, 
    Rose is relating to my partners side of the family with his grandmother who passed,
    Mathew is relating to my little brother who died after birth. (He also has a rose engraved on his grave so that works out amazing) 
  • Options
    sjnsjnsjnsjnsjnsjn member
    edited September 2018
    @duevalentines14th- Those are beautiful names and beautiful tributes.  My son's first name is his paternal grandmother's maiden name (surname), and his middle is the same on my side.  I love including family names.
  • Options
    @sjnsjnsjn - yeah it’s pretty familiar all through my family to use past family members names for middle names 🙂 
  • Options
    Still nameless over here.. aghhh!!
  • Options
    @cass06_07 Do you all have a list of names that you're both like "ehh" or nothing at all? We didn't like anything until we found out the sex and then literally decided a name in the waiting room for my blood draw after the anatomy scan.
  • Options
    @cass06_07 we are nameless here too. We have lists but aren’t even close to deciding either 
  • Options
    100% stuck here on our second boy.  We have a shortlist but to me nothing feels right. DH really likes Julian but I’m not sold on it.  He also likes Miles but I just don’t see these names with our last name (Esposito).  

I’m so stuck  :'( I liked Cole too but it also doesn’t feel quite right.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think Julian sounds great with Esposito, you know since my opinion is so important  :D 

My only issue with the same we picked is that DD’s is pretty long (4 syllables each for first and middle names) and obviously Latina, Ivy Jade is very short in comparison. H isn’t budging in middle name though. *shrug* 
  • Options
    @danixbanani24 I think Julian and Miles both sound good with Esposito. I know what you mean about names just not feeling right though. We’ve gone through so many names where I think yeah I like it and then it just doesn’t seem right. We’ll get these kids named one way or another! 
  • Options
    @cass06_07 nameless over here too! We just downloaded the baby naming app so hopefully it will open up some discussion 
  • Options
    Depending on sex, I’m in the same boat as you all. If baby is a boy, chances are he’ll be forever nameless. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @danixbanani24 Julian was on our short list and sounds great with your last name. We cut it because it didn't flow at all with Baker. You have plenty of time. One day something will just feel right.