December 2018 Moms

Names

Re: Names

• @AshleyGemini24 Personally I like the sound of Konnor Vader better.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @AshleyGemini24 I think it is wonderful that you are trying to honor your mother. Personally, I prefer Konnor Vaden.
  • Loading the player...
  • @AshleyGemini24 not to buck the trend but I know a little boy named Vadin (I am pronouncing them the same) and he is the cutest thing ever!! He is about six now but I love love love the name!
  • I completely agree with @echo-charlietango It can be really frustrating to constantly have to correct people about the spelling.
  • bumpitupbumpitup member
    edited August 2018
    Opinions on the name Hayes? I love it for a boy, but I worry that people will think Haze. Hayes sounds preppy, modern and classic, but Haze reminds me of a stoner. Thoughts?
  • edited August 2018
    @echo-charlietango we have decided on spelling with a K to keep a family tradition. FI and step son both have the middle name of Kody. I'm wanting to keep the tradition of uniqueness. My middle name is Nichole. I constantly have to correct formal paperwork to include the H but its really not a big deal for me. 
  • @bumpitup I like it! It’s unique, but not a spelling or pronunciation problem.
  • kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited August 2018
    @bumpitup I like Hayes too.

@CecilB93 I think Vincent is cute.  My husband actually insists that we keep the name Giuseppe on our potentials list because he refuses to be pigeonholed into not picking a traditionally ethnic name that doesn't match one of our own ethnic backgrounds (neither of us is at all Italian).  He wants it there as a placeholder to remind us.  He actually asked me to read the list of characters in the Elena Ferrante novels to him :D. Your family has Italian heritage anyway so you're golden!

We are doing a lot better on boys names than girls names.  Unfortunately, one of our top contenders, Calvin, is our nephew's middle name though.  I think we might just use it anyway if we decide on it.  Maybe we should ask his parents about it? We never really use middle names so I don't see why it would matter much.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kadeephd I think you can totally use a name that has already been used as a middle name. Two of my nieces have the same middle name, and it's a contender for us too. Middle names are so infrequently used that I don't see why anyone in your family would be upset by it.
  • hkomhkom member
    @kadeephd My husband has 16 aunts and uncles and 44 cousins and they all have the same like 10 names haha.  I don't think it's a big deal at all. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @bumpitup I just watched a House Hunters episode where a couple's son was called Hayes, and I loved the name! Unique but doesn't sound too out there or made up. 
  • @hkom @bumpitup Thanks for the reassurance!  I think this is a new name (not a traditional family name) so it might be a little weirder to use it since it seems like we are copying them, but oh well. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • hkomhkom member
    @echo-charlietango Hahaha it's the same thing!  Except its all Margarets, Katherines, and Johns! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @kadeephd my cousin has 4 children. 2 have the middle names dawn. 2 have the middle names lynn. 
  • I have a solid top name list I like, but I'm thinking of adding one more name to it and I'd love opinions - what do you guys think of the name Rhett? It's been rattling around my head for several weeks now and my husband really likes it too. Do you immediately think Gone with the Wind or has it been long enough that it's just a name that isn't so strongly associated with that? It sounds great with our last name and it's kind of in a sweet spot between popular and rare, so I think I want to include it on our name list that we bring to the hospital. Middle name would be a family name, either William or Fox.

Oh, one concern - my DD's name is Rose, so are Rose and Rhett too matchy matchy?
  • @maureenmce I really like Rhett Fox. I don’t think having two R-names is too cutesy or matchy-matchy at all. Disclaimer: I say this as someone who is consistently drawn to names that start with the same few letters, so maybe I am a little biased. I would tend to avoid first names that start with the same letter as the last name, but sibs are going to have a whole independent life aside from the first few years. 
  • @maureenmce I love Rhett! it’s classic, but not common.
  • @maureenmce I like Rhett, but I have to admit I do immediately associate it with Gone With the Wind.  That used to be one of my favorite books though so the association may not be as strong for others.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maureenmce I think Rhett is really pretty, and I totally think it's ok for siblings to have a name starting with the same letter. But I'm also a fan of first name, last name alteration...I think it makes a strong name. 
  • @maureenmce I do think Rhett Butler as soon as I hear Rhett, but I love Gone With the Wind so as @kadeephd said, maybe others wouldn't immediately make the association. But I don't think it's a bad connection anyways! 
  • @bumpitup I wish my husband was like you!  He refuses to consider names that start with T because he doesn't like alliteration.  My favorite boys name starts with T of course.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maureenmce I like the name Rhett!  Everett is on a list of names for us and I thought if he wanted to he could use Rhett as an option when he's older.  This is boy #4 for us though and I'm not sure he's ever getting named.  ;)  I also don't think much about siblings with the same letter, as someone mentioned before, they will not always be referred to as a set anyway. 
  • @westcoastfoodie Parker is our top 3 girl names too! Thinking about pairing it with a really feminine middle name as Parker is very unisex. I am a fan of Parker Elizabeth!
  • @snugglyduckling25 I love love love Everett. It was on my list!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @kristah2 I am obsessed with Parker Elizabeth!!
  • @maureenmce depends on the generation maybe...but I think of Thomas Rhett, the country singer. And that's not a bad thing, I love him! Just saying, I'm 25 and have never seen Gone With the Wind, so my mind doesn't go there lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 my mind also goes to Thomas Rhett!!
  • Third vote for thinking of Thomas Rhett! Rhett was on my list of boys names at first but it doesn't flow well with my last name. 
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited August 2018
    @CecilB93 and @kristah2 Oh, that's interesting! My husband associates it with a different musician, Rhett Miller from the Old 97s (a band he likes.) I actually love that it's associated with musicians (my husband and I both play music, in fact, that's how we met!) So that's fun. :) 

Also, @kristah2 I love Parker Elizabeth! 
  • What do you ladies think of the names Tyler and Cooper? Also, what middle names might go with either of those names? I think we'd want a middle name that is unique...my husband's current favorite is Danger (of course) and mine is Blue. I'm not sure Blue goes super well with Tyler though, but I like it with Cooper. 
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Oh, btw, speaking of country singer names...if you name your child Luke Bryan, I will pronounce it in my head the way he says his name. Just FYI.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • @binxybaby I know a Tyler and a Cooper, their respective middle names are Ethan & Arthur. Personally I don't love either one, but I don't hate them either. Solid neutral!
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @binxybaby I love Tyler! Cooper isn't my favorite but only because I think people automatically shorten it to Coop and I hate that.

My H's name is Lucas and we will likely use that as baby's middle name. I am a HUGE Luke Bryan fan and my sweet H actually suggested we name him Bryan Lucas after my two favorite men. I only equate the name Bryan with my awful awful ex so that will never happen but it was the thought that counts :) 
  • @binxybaby MH’s name is Tyler and he likes it. It is not a spelling issue, if he wants something personalized it is not difficult to find, but he never had a lot of duplicates in his class oranything like that.