August 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions 3/20

Re: Weekly Questions 3/20

• Changing the subject completely: how do I break up with my hair stylist? I still like what she does with my hair but I do not like the salon anymore. Too many snobby little bitches who didn’t even offer me something to drink when I came in. I’m pretty tired of being treated crappy here. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ladygali said:
    Changing the subject completely: how do I break up with my hair stylist? I still like what she does with my hair but I do not like the salon anymore. Too many snobby little bitches who didn’t even offer me something to drink when I came in. I’m pretty tired of being treated crappy here. 
    Do you have to break up with her? I just don't schedule with her again and then go somewhere else. 
    I thought of that but I’ve been going to her for like 12 years, we are fb friends, DH comes to her.... it’s complicated. 
  • Honestly I'd just not make an appointment with her and see if she ever says anything to you. I'm FB friends with my old hair girl in Texas and I LOVED her, never told her I moved, and she never asked. I guess she got the hint I now live in California but I never had that convo with her. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • If you’re kind of friends can you tell her it’s not her but the place?
  • @ladygali I usually just move on and book with someone else.  If they care enough for the feedback they will initiate the conversation.
  • lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited March 2018
    @lalala2004 have you tried adding Activia into your diet? 
    I don’t have bowel movement problems. I just heard balancing the good bacteria in your gut can help with depression. Something about the production of seratonin? May just be woo, but whatever, won’t hurt to try!

ETA I know it and other yogurts have probiotics, I would just have to eat a butt ton of yogurt to get the amount that comes in most supplements. I like yogurt, but I don’t want it 3x a day!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @scottishlass1213 I did think of that. I think she’d understand since she has looked for a new salon to work at in the past. 
  • @ladygali I totally ghosted on my colorist after 14 years even though we are FB friends, etc. It was right before my wedding and my extensions person (technician?) offered to just start doing my color as well so she could make sure the color matched perfectly and knock everything out in one appointment. Also the last time I went to my old colorist I had to wait an hour because her previous client was late, and I was not pleased. As awkward as I would feel if she ever asked me why I ghosted, I feel like it would have to be even more awkward for her so I kind of doubt she will, it has been like 8 months and she knows from FB pics I am still getting my hair colored. 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• @lalala2004 I meant to add that I wasn’t sure how the yogurt would compare to a supplement as far as the amount of probiotics. I’d gladly eat a crap-ton of Activia but that’s probably not appealing for some people. 
  • Another random question: has anyone ever bought a weighted blanket for themselves or their kid? I really want one, I love a heavy blanket while I sleep, and I’ve wondered if DS would benefit, too. I found a ton on Etsy but thought you ladies might have some recommendations. Thanks!
  • ecwkecwk member
    Late to the party but my midwife told me I would not be induced until I was at least 41 weeks. My friend had a five day induction and as much as it sucked to go 6 days overdue, I’d much rather that than what she went through. All this to say that even if you “scheduled” an induction, there’s nothing to say baby would be here in a short amount of time. 
    @ladygali do you think it would make DS sleep better? If so, I’ll take twenty. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lalala2004 I take store brand chewable probiotics as well. I had BV last pregnancy and bathroom issues this time hoping it helps! I take two each evening. I also like the chews since I’m on so many other supplements 
    DS born 04/22/15, Pregnant again 03/01/17 however loss due to PPROM at 20+6 weeks now TTC rainbow
  • @ecwk right?! I think it might help him sleep longer. He seems tired all the time so I wonder if he’s restless at night. 
  • @ladygali don’t have one but want one!
  • @mozartsmuse I was GBS+ with both mine and probably will with this one...I think I'm just a carrier :-/ I had no issues - they started iv fluids right away when I went in and their goal was two bags with antibiotics before birth. For me it was no big deal - I was fairly stationary but I personally preferred it that way. If you have different plans for labor, be sure to discuss options with your Dr. Mine was ok with me walking around and everything...I just didn't care to.

@ladygali I was going to make a weighted blanket for a lady once, she just never followed through. If you sew or know someone who does, you could possibly get the materials cheaper and even pay a friend (if you don't sew) for less than what you'd pay on Etsy. They do sell the pellets used in those blankets in large bags, from what I remember.
  • @ladygali I have a few patients who use either weighted blankets or weighted vests as sensory strategies. It works if the person responds to deep pressure and finds it calming. Also with kids, it is really important to make sure the weighted blanket is the correct percentage of their body weight. 
  • Random: how much say do you have in getting induced as you approach/pass your due date? I just had one of my trials re-set for January so now I am thinking it would work out amazingly to deliver right around (or before) my due date for mat leave (to give me enough time to come back and get up to speed for trial). If I am getting really close to the due date and the baby is measuring big would I be able to request that? Or am I crazy for trying to take this into account and not just letting things happen when they happen?
    Like @juliebird6 said, from what I gather, an OB won't schedule an induction unless it's medically necessary for the safety of the mother and/or the baby.There's lots of reasons but the biggest one is the lung development. My best friend is scheduled for her c-section on 4/9 and she's begging her doctor every week to induce because she's so uncomfortable and her OB just keeps reminding her it's best for the baby to stay inside as long as possible. I do think if you're overdue some are more likely to schedule the induction but from my personal experience, if baby isn't ready to come out the induction could be a pretty long and grueling process. 
    And is more likely to then result in a cs. Even at 40, some babies aren’t ready yet - esp 1st.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• neeraja_k said:
    @calimom2524 Yeah, I do. It's just I had this fantasy in my head of going to the hospital in the morning to be induced and holding a baby by the evening.

Then reading the many, many horror stories of inductions gone bad, while trying to get an idea of just what goes on during an induction, just almost makes a C-section sound more appealing. 

Maybe "Sweet Pea" will be done cooking by that point and want to come out on it's own conveniently during that week and I won't have to bother. 
    Honestly even with labor starting spontaneously this often doesn’t happen, long labors aren’t that uncommon (arent necessarily a bad thing either) 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• I’m on a probiotic too but just a random one on amazon 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• I’m so bummed.  I thought I had a UTI but it is group b strep (GBS). They are treating with oral antibiotics now and said they will give me iv antibiotics during labor. Googling babies born with gbs has freaked me out...anyone ever been there, done that?
    My sis was gbs with her second, she’s hoping she won’t ahain just bc the meds she said we’re annoying andvsge  barely got them in time but baby and she were fine. Ditto a girlfriend who was +

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Has anyone had a day recently where they feel less pregnant than usual? Maybe it was because I spent all day on the couch yesterday and normally I'm on my feet, but my stomach feels less solid/more mushy- it feels like my uterus dropped down from where it had been. I also didn't feel any flutters yesterday, which could just be because again, I was lazy instead of active. I'm like 99% sure it's nothing, but as a FTM I'm always freaking out. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• @jsnakehole - I don't think they expect you to feel consistent movement until 26-28 weeks for kick counts, but if it's freaking you out there's absolutely no harm in calling your doc.
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mrsbubbles-2 I think I'm also freaking out because I had a few cramps yesterday (which could totally be related to the fact that DH and I DTD yesterday morning) and two weird pains in my back (matching pains in either side). They only lasted for a second and didn't come back. 

I'm pretty sure I'm just freaking myself out. If I feel crampy again today (which I haven't at all so far) I'll call my doctor. 

• pghctwifepghctwife member
    edited March 2018
    Has anyone had a day recently where they feel less pregnant than usual? Maybe it was because I spent all day on the couch yesterday and normally I'm on my feet, but my stomach feels less solid/more mushy- it feels like my uterus dropped down from where it had been. I also didn't feel any flutters yesterday, which could just be because again, I was lazy instead of active. I'm like 99% sure it's nothing, but as a FTM I'm always freaking out. 
    Definitely and days where I feel super pregnant. 

When that stuff freaks me out (I was feeling a little freaked before that I wasn’t ‘popping’) I think about what a loss would look like - if something went wrong it’s not likely a softer tummy would be the first sign. Kwim? 

Ots way early for consistent kicks, some don’t even feel baby yet. As hard as it is I wouldn’t worry too much, pretty soon kicks get stronger and with them we get much more peace of mind.
    eta: and as a loss mom I’m ALWAYS worried so I get it!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @jsnakehole - super personal probably TMI - are you constipated? I was having a lot of pressure towards the front of my pelvis (if that makes any sense at all) and asked at my last OB appt and she said that because the intestines are getting all smooshed because of growing baby, it's more than likely constipation related. I was going regularly but never really felt like I was going completely.. again, I don't know if I'm making any sense.

Anyway, I hope you don't have any cramps today and that Smalls gives you some big ol' kicks :)

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jsnakehole Inhave days when I feel less pregnant and days when I feel really pregnant. I am try not to worry to much. Like the other ladies said, some days I feel baby and other days I don’t. a day on the couch sounds amazing though. 
  • @jsnakehole I definitely have days when my belly is less firm. Lots of moving organs, moving baby, moving poop. So it’s very likely to change often!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I am constipated, again. It's so disappointing after a few days of good poops. Maybe I just feel mushy again because I'm 'emptier' after the last few days!

• @jsnakehole - love it for solidarity - not because you're constipated lol!
    But that could totally be why!

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • +1 to the probiotics over here. I have had tons of GI issues for as long as I can remember and they are a lifesaver.

@jsnakehole I definitely feel like that some days. 17 weeks tomorrow, so not feeling movement, some days my belly seems less firm, cramping and pulling. As other said above though, there is a lot going on in the body right now and I remember from with DS that some days I just feel different than others.

As far as inductions go - I have heard the 'horror' stories of them lasting days, but I also have a friend who was induced twice due to diabetes and her L&D from start of induction to delivery on both was pretty short and from what she said not too terrible. There are also a few girls from my last BMB that didn't have the crazy stories with inductions. I understand now wanting to be induced though because as other said, your body (and the baby) just aren't ready.
    With that being said, my water broke 3 weeks early so I went into labor naturally. My contractions were sporadic, barely feeling anything, didn't progress for hours and hours, so then needed pitocin. I tried every darn thing under the sun, but it took me 25 hours from the time my water broke to get to 9cm and then I stalled and in the end I ended up with a C/S 28.5 hours after water breaking. It took me a lot of time to come to terms with the fact my body couldn't figure it all out on its own. My point is sometimes even when your body goes into labor naturally, things don't always progress super quickly or how they are 'supposed' to and long labors can happen in a lot of different scenarios. In those final days, listen to your body, take the advice from your OB/midwife/etc. and make the choices that are best for you.

Also, I am electing for a repeat c/s this time around. I've thought about it the past almost 3 years if I was here again, discussed with my OB in depth and it's what we feel is best. The recovery was not terrible at all, now my scar is almost not noticeable (although I'm aware that will change come August!) and it all went more smoothly than I could have imagined. Just wanted to throw that out there because I know the idea of one can be downright terrifying!
    Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• @jsnakehole cramping can also be a sign of dehydration. Have you been drinking a lot of water? 
  • @jsnakehole I forgot I was pregnant this morning. So yes. Lol. 

To all talking about inductions...I was induced at 39w weeks with DS. My blood pressure was "slightly" elevated at my 38w appointment, so that was the "medical reason" I guess for the induction but in reality, 9 months (or 10, whatever) before DS was due, we had a huge ice storm and apparently everyone in my city got pregnant. My doctor had dozens of women all ready to give birth at any moment so I feel like my induction was more or less for convenience of all parties. I don't know. I'd like to go into labor naturally this time but we will see. 

Arriving at the hospital to baby in my arms was like 4 hours. It was awesome in that respect. 

• @mrs_drc_rn that's actually a really good point- I definitely drank less than I normally do yesterday. And most days I'll have some fruit or a yogurt smoothies which has some water to it, and I didn't yesterday. 

• So at least for me, my induction took 3 daysish but wasn't horrible, and if it happened again I wouldn't be upset. 

I was induced at 41w+ and went in at 8pm that night. They started me out with oral medication, then vaginal after 8 hrs of that not working. Towards mid afternoon with almost no progress they tried the balloon method which was painful but not horrible. Then more vaginal medication and trying the balloon again that night, which didn't work again.

During this whole time I was having mild contractions that I couldn't actually feel. I watch tv, finished writing the thank yous from my baby shower and hung out with my mom. 

That next night I finally got painful contractions and was progressing. I went on morphine so i could sleep and have the energy to hopefully push in the morning. By morning I had stopped progressing and was put on pertosin  (spelling?). At some point I got an epidural and my son was born at 4:35pm on the third day. 

So basically even though my induction took about 3 days it wasn't horrible. Everyone's experience will be different and you won't know how yours will be until you get there.
  • @jsnakehole I often get cramps after sex and more often after pregnant sex. So that could be it, too. 
  • @jsnakehole +1 for cramping after sex, especially when pregnant.
  • I need to get on my probiotic game. I had BV while I was taking progesterone/Clomid right before I got pregnant (I typically get it at least once a year- my doctor's never figured out why).

I'm feeling a bit better. I'm still getting used to pregnancy stuff- from what I can figure out my uterus is halfway between my belly button and my lady parts, which is where it should be at this point (17 weeks-ish tomorrow). I'm used to feeling pressure in my abdomen, like he's putting pressure on various organs, and I'm not feeling it today but he may have just positioned himself in a way that he's not beating up my insides as much.

• @derbysquirrel Like an elective CSection?  Why would anyone want to do that? 
    As someone who had a csection - my body at least would not recommend doing it electively!