October 2018 Moms

Questions 3/2

Re: Questions 3/2

• MylittaMylitta member
    edited March 2018
    @arrowst It depends when you ovulate. Most edd based on lmp assume a 28 days cycle with ovulation at day 14. So 2w old baby = 4w pregnant.
    If you weren't tracking your ovulation you won't know for sure. Say your normal cycle is about 26 days, but you ovulate on day 10. By the time you miss your cycle, you're 4w2d, though by lmp you're only 3w5d.
    But another person can have a 26 day cycles, but ovulate on day 17. So by the time they miss their cycle the tests may or not even show a + for a few days. But at the 26 days, by lmp they're 3w5d, but 3w2d pregnant. 
    So, yes. You could be further along than you think you are if you ovulated early. But you have no way to know that until the u/s unless you were tracking ovulation.

Eta: cohesion. 
  • @arrowst, what @Mylitta said. It actually really annoys me that they use LMP to date. I get that they don't really have another frame of reference to start at in most instances, but obviously not every woman has "the perfect" 28 day period with ovulation on day 14.  At my dating appointment, the nurse tried awfully hard to use my LMP to date, which is a joke because I hadn't had a true natural cycle in qlmost 4 months. I asked her why she was using that instead of our transfer date since we absolutely, definitively know when this little blob went back in and she sort of just said that's what they generally use.... Umm okay, but it's going to be completely wrong.  My MD came in, took one look, and fixed it immediately. 

Anyway, point being, the LMP date can be sort of arbitrary, but like Mylitta said, unless you're tracking O, they don't have, and neither will you, a good frame of reference for where you actually are. If I'm understanding your question correctly, if you Od early, you could be dating "ahead" if they use LMP as a base. 
  • Loading the player...
  • So I just got diagnosed with strep after the initial test came back negative! They prescribed me amoxicillin. Anyone ever take this while pregnant? Obviously they know I’m pregnant but I’m still nervous about taking medicine while pregnant. I’m going to take it because I need to get rid of strep but was wondering if anyone ever experienced this.
  • I’m going to add one more observation to the due date thing- the due date is just the best guess as to when baby will be ready to arrive.  Some babies will come early, others will come late.  

If you read through the ultrasound thread, you’ll see a lot of ladies stressing because their dating ultrasound doesn’t match up with their original estimated due date.  This could be because their ovulation date was different than the model assumes, baby just isn’t growing as quickly as the models say it should, or some other factor.  

I know it is stressful, but there really isn’t an exact science to this.  
  • edited March 2018
    @kimmerann3

I was taking a ten day course of amoxicillin that ended a few days before I found out I was pregnant. Oops. My doctor didn't seem worried, but double check with yours or your ob/midwife if it will make you feel better.

I also highly recommend a probiotic because not much sucks worse that being pregnant with a yeast infection!
  • On the subject of headaches - I had them frequently with my DD and my OB recommended I take a magnesium supplement. It could also be caffeine withdrawals, if you're used to drinking caffeinated drinks and stopped because of your pregnancy. I always get terrible headaches when I go off of caffeinated beverages. You could ask your doctor what they recommend for caffeine headaches but my OB at the time said it was fine to drink the equivalent of one caffeinated soda a day. 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • @kimmerann3 they should have checked the safety of the antibiotic before prescribing and my OB gave me a pamphlet that said only antibiotic to avoid was tetracycline but deff double check if you're concerned.
  • Thanks @nayyohme and @leslieknope2020

they definitely knew I was pregnant and took that into consideration when prescribing but taking medicine always makes me nervous. But I can’t obviously let strep throat go so I’ll be taking them. I’ll call my OB tomorrow just to make them aware. Thanks everyone! And good call on the probiotic. 
  • I am staying cold all of the time with this pregnancy. I remember being very hot with my son. Is anyone else feeling cold all of the time?
  • @purple&7 I actually put my heat up to 80* yesterday in case we lost power (the radiators would still be hot and hopefully our house wouldn't get freezing) and it was the first time I haven't been cold in so long lol
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @purple&7 I’m not sure how far along you are, but this has been an issue for me. It’s getting better now, but from 5-7 weeks I could not get warm. I still get chills from time to time.
  • ashin121ashin121 member
    edited March 2018
    @kimmerann3 completely safe to take. I'm a clinical pharmacist. I get nervous about taking drugs too because I know too much about them. I didn't take anything except amoxicillin (for group b strept) and prenatal vitamins throughout my last pregnancy. 
  • @Purple&7 I am cold ALL THE TIME too. I’m always snuggled in a comforter when I’m home. It’s the weirdest thing. 
  • @ashin121 thank you! That makes me feel better! 
  • chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited March 2018
    @purple&7 +1 for cold all the time
     @hellopartyof5 hope your power stayed on!
  • @purple&7 - I’m also struggling with being cold.  My office is always on the cooler side, and I usually just plan for that, but the last month it has been driving me crazy - I literally wear gloves while at my desk. Also, if I get cold just being out and about (like today was upper 40s, so I skipped a jacket since I was running around and didn’t think I needed one), then I have a hard time warming back up.  

I’ve switched to room temperature or hot drinks instead of iced drinks, and that has helped- especially at the office.  
  • @chopchop25 it did!!! Thanks so much for asking :) a lot of people were definitely not as lucky. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @PurpleK26 I am freezing constantly too. I definitely don’t remember that from last time either!
  • I'm also freezing constantly... until about 2 am when I wake up because I am suddenly boiling thanks to H and my 2 furry heaters.

Just FYI, purple&7, the ampersand in your UN prevents anyone's tag from actually working and notifying you!
  • Has anyone switched the deodorant you use? I use Secret deodorant, always have, but read somewhere that some deodorants may be harmful? I actually ran out of depdorant yesterday so I’m trying to figure out if I should be buying something different.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • @zwink1 I can't change my username without creating a whole new account right? This is my same username from TK when I joined while wedding planning many years ago. 
  • @spartan4life I had a friend who tried to use something natural, I think it was Primal Paste, she said it didn't work at all. She said she smelled so bad!
  • Purple&7, no you don't have to create a new account, you just have to go to the knot to change it. It can be a bit of a trial and error process though, lol. I haven't done it, but I believe you have to go to TK, change your UN, then log out of TB for a new name to take effect. 

If you only use the app though, it probably doesn't matter because notifications suck on the app. You only really see them if you use the web format.
  • (The following comments are for the iPhone version, I don’t have any experience with Android.)

You can change your username directly through the app. 

Also notifications work in the app if you are using the app when the comment is posted. They don’t work when the app is closed.  

For all the issues with the app, I actually prefer it to the web interface. 
  • @spartan4life I used my regular Secret clinical throughout my last pregnancy. I did stop using a prescription deodorant I had though. 
  • Has anyone switched the deodorant you use? I use Secret deodorant, always have, but read somewhere that some deodorants may be harmful? I actually ran out of depdorant yesterday so I’m trying to figure out if I should be buying something different.
    Nah, I'm not going to go that far. I did stop using my regular face cleaner and I'm not going to dye my hair, but I draw the line at using weird deodorant. :smiley:
  • @purple&7 @tinattt23 and @Lisa3379 Thanks!! I don’t think I will change either. I really don’t feel like smelling like BO for the next 7.5 months if I don’t have to!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • @kimmerann3 I was diagnosised with strep at 7dpo and then was in the middle of the amoxicillin when I got my BFP. Both my GP and OB reassured me that it was perfectly fine and that not taking it would be more dangerous to baby. Also, ditto the probiotic comment! 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • I heard about deodorant being "bad" and just decided maybe to cut down in how frequently I use it. So just when I expect a busy day at work and not when I'm home doing nothing. I'm sure that'll change when summer comes tho.
  • linssears4linssears4 member
    edited March 2018
    I did not switch deodorant... switched a lot of my other products though. For facial care and moisturizer I switched to Burt’s bees .. all of their stuff is paraben and phthalate free. Also got Burt’s bees body wash. Honest body lotion and oil. Toms toothpaste.and garnier fructis has a papraben free shampoo and conditioner! 
  • My first pregnancy I went totally hippy with the all natural everything and essentially smelled like BO all summer. Never doing that again! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Purple&7 said:
    I am staying cold all of the time with this pregnancy. I remember being very hot with my son. Is anyone else feeling cold all of the time?
    All the time!  With my first pregnancy I was sooo hot all the time. This time I’m freezing.  I’m actually hoping to stay kind of cold throughout since being 6 months pregnant in the summer doesn’t sound fun (especially since I could barely handle it last time and I was only 2 months then).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I’m not, but if you do, stay away from Schmidtt’s.  They smell nice, but their claim of not staining clothes like “regular” deodorants is bs.  I have several shirts that weren’t stained before I switched and are now ruined from their deodorant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Last pregnancy I ended up having to switch halfway through because Secret wasn’t cutting it anymore.
  • **lurking from November**
    @spartan4life I switched to a natural deodorant several weeks ago while TTC because I wanted to take whatever steps I could to possibly help my egg quality. There is some research that says conventional deodorants can be harmful because the aluminum, which helps you stop sweating, goes into your skin to block your sweat glands. But there's also a lot of research that says it's not harmful at all. So it's up to you on whether you want to make the switch or not. At first I tried Primal Pit Paste for about a week and a half and it was horrible. By the middle of the day I smelled horrendous, even with my sedentary job where I wasn't sweating much. After that I switched to Crystal Essence, the lavender and white tea scent, and I really like it. It works all day, so I don't have to reapply it, and I don't get stinky at all! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • I have a question for STMs+.

During pregnancy, do you also feel extra super-lovey towards your other kids? Lately, I can't get enough of DS! I just want to love on him all the time. No matter how exhausted I am at the end of the day, when he goes down for the night, I miss him! I seem to even have more energy/desire to play and more patience for his tantrums. Just wondering if I'm getting an extra dose of oxytocin or what! 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I have a question for STMs+.

During pregnancy, do you also feel extra super-lovey towards your other kids? Lately, I can't get enough of DS! I just want to love on him all the time. No matter how exhausted I am at the end of the day, when he goes down for the night, I miss him! I seem to even have more energy/desire to play and more patience for his tantrums. Just wondering if I'm getting an extra dose of oxytocin or what! 
    I feel like for me, I’m hypersensitive to my reactions towards DS. For instance, when he’s tantruming or being difficult, I’m really trying to let it slide and hug on him some more instead of getting frustrated. I think that I’m feeling guilty for bringing in a new baby and making him not THE baby anymore. I guess I’m just trying to soak him all in and really enjoy every moment with him because it will be so different in October for all of us. 
  • ashin121ashin121 member
    edited March 2018
    @Lisa3379 @concreteayngel same here! I'm already feeling the guilt. My other friends have told me how jealous the first one gets and the mommy guilt they have because they cant spend time with their first born. Some even said they start to say "no mommy I want Daddy" after a while because they just get used to mommy being with the new baby. I'm dreading that so much!!!!!!!!
  • @ashin121 That is heartbreaking! I am so fortunate that DH works from home, and I'm a SAHM, so I hope that with both of us at home, there will be enough attention to go around. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @concreteayngel I wish that was how I felt. I have no patience for DS.