October 2018 Moms

USA - How long will your maternity leave be?

124»

Re: USA - How long will your maternity leave be?

• I'm hoping that my company will decide to move to something closer to NY's policy since have to implement it for the associate's in that state (which isn't a high percentage, but decent). We are looking at adding an overall Parental Leave of some sort. Right now father's (unless they take FMLA) are only allowed the day of the birth, at manager's discretion.
  • Not because of the NY thing, but my company updated their policies about two months ago to provide some paid leave to both parents. For mothers, the policy, when combined with SDL, is enough to get paid the full period (even though DSL doesn’t pay at 100%).

I’m hoping that after that change, more fathers will take time off.  Historically, the men have only taken a day or two - some of that is corporate culture, but I am sure a lot of it is also financial.  

• Loading the player...
  • @sammierose464 that is awful! Day of birth at manager's discretion? It sounds like the 1950s.
  • @chopchop25
    You'd think we'd be better since as we're a German owned company. Nope. Thankfully that's my department now and we are pushing.
  • @sammierose464 that does surprise me. Our policy is nice, but I've heard our German competitor is INSANELY generous in coverage and time off.
  • I will be leaving my job permanently. I will start a new one when the baby is six months. We've put away for this, plus STD for six weeks after the baby. I plan to tell them at the twelve week mark.
  • We don’t have anything in place where I work at. My saving grace is the fact that we are only open seasonal and the season ends October 7th. My husband works at the same place. And we are off until mid April. So I will get a good 6 months fully paid. Same with my husband since we are both salaried. However if I was due during the season I would not get anything which is a scary thought! 
    The last 4 companies I worked at the policy was 6 weeks off and only your pto and sick days covered it. I agree that we need to do more to help starting families. 
  • Luckily I was able to plan ahead for this and enroll in STD. My work provides workshops for expecting parents to discuss the parental leave rights and option so I finally feel informed about how my leave will work out. Legally I am allowed 12 weeks off with job protection based on federal and MA state law. My company also offers an STD (50% pay) and a buy up option (up to 70% paycheck) so I’ll be able to collect 70% of my paycheck during weeks 1-6 (or 1-8 if c-section). I’ve been at my company for a number of years now accruing more sick time than I know what to do with so I can use these during weeks 1-6/1-8 to make my paycheck whole. Then during weeks 6-12/8-12 I can use Sick time or other PTO for these weeks. Very glad I’ve been able to plan by enrolling in STD and lots of accrues PTO. 
  • @pebbledam Same here. I get to save all my PTO/sick leave, pray I don’t need it at all over the next 5 months, and I’ll get a whopping 4 weeks before I have to go back part time and probably take lil bun with me and split working from home. Baby will probably be full time in daycare by 6 weeks old. 
  • @krzyriver My employee offered us STD about 3 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. I signed up but it doesn’t cover this pregnancy because it was preexisting.
  • So my questions about having to take 2019 vacation was answered.  Only accrued vacation time will have to be used - so max 2.5 days if I come back at the end of Feb.  I can live with that.

My other questions - short term disability.  It seems some doctors are flexible and will write you out for 8 weeks no problem, whereas my experience has been very much non-negotiable.  6 weeks vaginal or 8 weeks c-section.  I did get 8 weeks for DS1 but that was a 4th degree tear.

Has anyone discussed with their doctor what their STD policy is - is it a set rule or do they seem to go for the longer 8 weeks without question?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I've never heard that disability claims were flexible. Ever. @tropical1982
  • Yeah my experience is that it’s determined solely by type of birth.
  • At our session at work, they told us that 1. there's a way to milk a week before delivery (so we're supposed to get 6 for vaginal, but can actually get 7 - one being before - without putting up much of a fight) and  2. extenuating medical circumstances can extend your STD past the 6-8 week window.
    Otherwise our written rule is basically 6 for vaginal and 8 for c section.
  • I take 8 weeks of unpaid I went back 6 weeks with my son. I was ready to go back.