October 2018 Moms

Announcement ideas?

Anyone have any good announcement ideas for in laws? We will be seeing them in person. I like to be creative but not having any inspiration after looking online. We are first time parents, our parents are not first time grandparents with our kid, I don't want to use the u/s as the announcement, I am a pain in the butt :) 

Re: Announcement ideas?

• This one is really specific to my mom. She's an avid sewer in her (limited) free time. Last year she made these cute baby bags for my SIL and my sorority sister for me. I found a pattern for one I really like and I'm going to print it out and give it to her with a note that says "Your next project. I need it by October 2018".

We also got my step son a shirt that says "Promoted to Big Brother October 2018" (it arrived today!!!). To tell my in-laws we are going to tell SS to show off his new shirt.
  • We're announcing at DD's birthday party in April. I haven't decided if I'll wrap up a picture frame with the ultrasound in it as her "big gift" and have her open it in front of everyone, or if I'll put a picture of her wearing a shirt that says "I'm a big sister" in the video I always make for her birthday. 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Loading the player...
  • For my Mom’s birthday we got her an egg from Etsy that you break and there is a message inside. It said “Happy Birthday Grandma!”
    she was over the moon. The company was LittleElephantCrafts and you write whatever custom message you want. 
    For my MIL we got her a bracelet with charms. Each charm represented her grandkids (she had 3 already) but there were 4 charms. That was pretty cute.
    This time around we are going to text a ultrasound picture or something. Not as creative, but I don’t think it needs to be for the second round haha
  • With DD we gave our parents gifts (it was Christmas) with a few grandma/grandpa items and then we did a jar of olives and I made a little tag that said "baby is currently the size of an olive." Last pregnancy we just told them. This time we will probably frame ultrasound pictures and let DD show it to them. We were planning to wait until Easter, but I think we might go ahead and tell them after our ultrasound next Thursday just whenever we see them next. 
  • I'm struggling too. On my husband's side it'll be the first grandkid, so they will be over-the-moon excited. But it'll be the 4th grandkid on my side, so it's harder to make it special. Plus, both of our parents live out of state so not sure how to do it. I'm guessing it'll have to be over facetime. I don't really want to mail them anything because I want to see their faces, and then  if they call and we're busy or something, I don't want to play phone tag over it. Still a couple of weeks left to plan I guess... 
  • I know how I am telling my sister and also my hubby's best friend (who is female). We do pub trivia with them every week and they will notice I'm not drinking VERY SOON so I ordered a couple of latte mugs. The one for my sister says "Only the best sisters get promoted to aunt" and the other one says "friends" instead of sister for his friend. I am impatiently waiting for them to ship ... much less arrive. Fingers crossed on them getting done in time as I think I'll be telling them the same day we have our first OB appointment and hear the baby heart beat!

For my best friend, I am going to put in on her wedding RSVP card. I'll RSVP for 3 instead of the 2 seats she reserved for me. 2 adult meals and one 0-3 meal - and I'm gonna write CALL ME NOW! on it.

But our parents?? pshhh I have NO IDEA. I think I will consider an u/s photo or getting them a mug or shirt or something. I did see some cute fake lottery scratch off cards that really look real. That might be an option.

I dunno - I have a few weeks to decide. :)
  • @mytrueloves I like the video idea! You can tell who is paying attention and also record people watching it for reactions! 
  • @bethica83 we got "only the best mom's get promoted to Grandma's" mug for my MIL. My birthday is March 7th and will have it sitting at the dinner table when we go out for dinner. She's going to freak out as she has been waiting 10 years for us to give her a grandbaby! 

@ladyofarlington we are going to announce on social media with a travel theme too! I ordered a wood board that says "our greatest adventure" that we can hang in our travel themed nursery after. 

I love all the other ideas too! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• I bought this for my mom to tell her this weekend. I am going to tell her I saw it and thought of her, and then she will open it and see

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1393136117
  • Do you inlaws have any hobbies they enjoy a lot?? You could always get them a little gift themed accordingly. For example one of my friends parents are really into golf so they got a golf themed onesie and wrapped it up to surprise them with
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • We bought a "big brother" shirt and we're going to put it on DSS before we go visit my MIL in March. 

Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We got a big sister shirt for our daughter and we are traveling to see my mom and her side of the family and my husbands mom in a few weeks so we will just have her tell them. It’s been really hard not telling my mom or sister! 

For FB we are going to take a picture of our daughter in the big sister shirt with each of the grandparents and then one of her with the US and make a collage. 
  • For DS, I got picture frames for my mom, nana, and MIL. I made little a little page to put inside that said “___ weeks until I’m a grandma” and then filled in the weeks on the glass with a dry erase marker. I gave it to them for mother’s day.

This time we’ll get a big brother shirt for DS and have him wear it to their houses. We might do it on April Fools day just to mess with them.
  • @chyvie we are also planning to do a travel themed nursery! We’ll have to share ideas!! 
  • @ladyofarlington Pinterest and Etsy have so many great ideas. I searched adventure nursery and travel nursery. There is even crib bedding! We already got one of those scratch off maps from our travels we will hang in there. Also some of our photos we have taken. I think it's a perfect theme for us as we love travel and I don't want a room that is too cutesy! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• I told my family I got my tubes tied after my 2nd, so I truely have no way to tell them. But im pretty sure they will love anything you do.
  • We are planning on doing the same thing! @pebbledam
  • We told my mom and ILs the day we found out in a very exciting phone call “hey guys, I’m knocked up.”

We will all be at Magic Kingdom next month and I bought DS a Disney “big bro” shirt. So I’ll have him take a picture with Mickey and the shirt. That’s how I’ll announce to everyone else. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • estellegettyestellegetty member
    edited February 2018
    My MIL babysits for us four days a week and at the end of most evenings she likes to have wine with me...she calls it wine o’clock...on the morning we found out I told her I wasn’t going to be able to have wine o’clock with her and she was like “whaaaaat why?!” And I told her because I’m pregnant. She almost fell over. Granted we needed to go through IVF with our first so this was the last thing she expected since we hadn’t even told anyone we were trying bc it had only been a month. 

My mom and dad I called screaming with joy directly after I told my husband. My parents couldn’t believe it either. 

Not sure how we will announce this one to everyone else?! 
  • For my first child, my husband and I had our parents over for dinner. We secretly put a bandana on our pup halfway through dinner that said “I’m going to be a big brother”. Watching my Dad chase our dog around trying to read the bandana was awesome. Then we had my mom take pictures for our social media announcement- it was a picture of our dog with a sign that said “Baby [last name] due [month] 2016”. This time we will probably have our parents over again and have my daughter in a “big sister” shirt. I also LOVE this picture I saw of a child holding a can telephone to Mom’s belly. I want to recreate that with my daughter and the dog.
  • With DD, we weren't expecting to get pregnant so fast after my surgery and neither were they. So we had dinner plans already with both sets of grandparents (we do this a lot, thankfully we're all pretty close) and we brought a bottle of wine (which we always do because I love wine) and I just printed a label that said something "You're going to be grandparents. Baby M is due June 2016". We didn't have time to order from Etsy, so I just printed it and taped it to the bottle. My mother in law actually didn't even look, and we had to be like "oh we just grabbed a cheap one, is it good? Do you know that brand?" cue the crying and hugs. She actually still has the bottle at her house. 
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited February 2018
    H and I just decided we're going to wait a few extra weeks to tell the world since I'm so nervous. Currently we're thinking about a Marathon Monday / Patriot's Day announcement (the New England ladies should get this one!) I'm not a runner, but H is + I used to live in Boston / went to school there and we both work for a company that makes running shoes and apparel. Plus, it falls on 14w1d this year, which seems like good timing.
    We're going to borrow my friend's old marathon bib or blanket, with some baby running shoes and a little sign. Haven't figured out what the sign should say yet, but would love any ideas anyone has!
  • @chopchop25 I love this idea!!! DH and I are both runners born and raised in New England. Although this nausea keeps me from running too much right now. :(  Patriots Day is such a great idea. It’s so unexpected!  I saw some cute running themed announcements on Pinterest too.

I would love to be able to wait that long, my birthday is the same week and I’ll be 14 weeks at that point too. But we’re too excited! I think we are starting to tell families at Easter, when I’ll be just shy of 12 weeks.
  • We announced last time by taking a picture of our glasses and adding in a baby pair too. This time I don’t think we’re going to say anything until after the baby is born at least on social media. I also have no idea how to tell my parents. DH and I aren’t really in a great place right now so they are not on board with having #2. I’m nervous they’re going to be really upset, but I’m thinking I will have DD wear a “big sister” shirt and see if they notice.
  • @pumpkinpancake that's exactly why we are doing it that day! Lol 

@missmaehurt sorry to hear that things are not great between you and your DH. I'm in the same boat and this pregnancy definitely came as a shock to both of us. I'm not sure how my family will react and I already know that most of his will have something negative to say. Almost makes me want to keep it a secret until the baby is born. 
  • @missmaehurt @nmadjeski I'm sorry you're both having to deal with that. I'm not sure why some ILs feel that it is their right to voice opinions on something that should be between you and your respective spouses. Babies should be celebrated, and if they can't just say "Congratulations! How can I help?" they should just shut their mouths. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @pumpkinpancake I noticed that. I’ve been going back in forth on waiting until the 2nd or not. 
  • @sarahzett what a great idea! How did you get the original labels off without leaving a bunch of adhesive gunk on the bottle? 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @sarahzett I did this to tell all three of my BFFs. They absolutely loved it! @concreteayngel I didn’t remove the label, but I just put mine right over...couldn’t even tell!
  • @concreteayngel Thanks! I soaked the bottles in warm water for about an hour. Some of the labels slid right off and some I had to use scissors to scrape a little (depends on the adhesive used for each wine bottle). 

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20