August 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly randoms 1/15

Re: Weekly randoms 1/15

• Options
    School cancelled today! I've been a bum this morning and made a delicious french toast breakfast and now I'm laying around with my cat and drinking coffee. 

@melprop Hope you can get your RX today and start to feel better soon!

@ecwk I might call and leave a message with the nurses about what happened. They'll prob call you right back and say it's no big deal, but it never hurts to double check.
  • Options
    @hezzer78 I’m in Houston too and we’re all still in PJs! 

@ecwk I’d probably just call for peace of mind but I’m a worrier. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm baaaaaaaaack! My trip to NYC was amazing and I am so happy I went. Super happy to be home to my own bed and cuddles from my boys though. Can anyone TL;DR me pretty please? Too much to catch up on!! I've missed you all. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @livinthesunnylife I just read her post and said out loud "OH MY GOD" and I cannot wait to dive into the comments. I knew I could count on y'all to direct me to the right place. I miss all the good stuff!! I'll be back, I have some reading to do about knitting my baby. Or something.

• Options
    Nose frieda's are amazing but make sure the filter is in, cuz YUCK when it's not. Yes I speak this from experience. Also, if you lay toddler down on their back, put your legs over their arms and secure their head between your thighs they can't move and you can suck boogers out way easier.
    @scottishlass1213 yay for a king bed!!! That was the best upgrade I've ever made. I had to sleep in a double this weekend and even alone that felt too small haha. 
    @delujm0 did you get a new van? What models have you been shopping? I drive an expedition and have been wondering if it's worth the switch to minivan. I don't think I could but some of those are super rad. 
    @westphilly ALWAYS donuts. The grapes will be fine later haha.
    @hezzer78 I lived in the Houston area until the beginning of last year and I used to love when everything froze, it's like the city just shut down haha. 
    @hardlyhannah awww poor buddy, that's a high fever! How is he feeling today?

Ok I THINK I'm caught up now. I missed playing here this weekend!

• Options
    @hardlyhannah oh my that number is high. Hope the thermometer was wrong. We have three laying around here to make sure we get accurate readings. Hope LO is feeling better asap. 

@hezzer78 we are having a snow day today too (north Texas) but the roads are completely dry and there's not even any snow in the grass haha! I work for county government and I'm laughing that they totally jumped the gun and canceled last night. I was up really late working anyway due to the weather so I feel like crap and I'm glad to have the day off. 

@scottishlass1213 we just bought a king bed too (GhostBed!) and it has been so wonderful. 

AFM ... I am being a lazy slug today! I feel like a bag o' butt so just hanging around the house. Work was canceled so I kept my son home from daycare because I literally live an hour from daycare (it's by my office). I feel bad because he's playing on my phone right now while I am ordering groceries for pick up and Bumpin but oh well. I am trying to survive today. Major headache (I get migraines anyway) that Tylenol isn't touching and super nauseous despite Diclegis. Just a whiny baby today. Lol. 

Oh, also, we did our "social media" announcement on Sunday and it went really well. It helps that I am a photographer so I just whipped up some photos real quick and didn't have to hire anyone. 
  • Options
    @scottishlass1213 We upgraded to a king bed during my first pg, and it was the best thing we got. I love being able to stretch out and have plenty of room while sleeping. 

AFM, I finally got to pick up my Rx for this awful nausea. By the time I got home the day was shot, since I have to get DS off the bus in an hour, but OMG I’m happy to not start instantly throwing up at every little smell.

I also realized that SIL (DH’s brother’s wife) tried to announce my pg on FB before I mentioned it, but nobody in DH’s extended family noticed it. Or if they did, they didn’t comment. She’s tried to be unusually nice to me the last few months, and I think she was trying to elicit a reaction from me. I ignored it. 
  • Options
    Ladies who have commented about having a king bed.  We recently upgraded to a king and I am having the hardest time finding a comforter that actually hangs down on the sides.  I want something that hangs down pretty far (I HATE bed skirts).  It doesn't necessarily need to hang down to the floor, but I would like it to hang past the mattress, at the very least.  Where did you buy your comforters?!
  • Options
    @calimom2524 we drove the 2018 Odyssey, 2018 Pacifica, and 2018 Sienna.  We're between the Odyssey and Pacifica right now.  We built out a similarly priced model of both and I think I'm leaning toward the Pacifica.  The Odyssey has absolutely amazing seating options (the second row captain's chairs can slide and lock anywhere left to right and front to back so access to the third row is awesome) but other than the seating (and Honda's better reliability record) I think you get better stuff in the Pacifica for the same price.  The seating in the Pacifica would be a slight inconvenience with 2 rear facing kids at once, but that's a limited time, and DD1 should be able to buckle herself in soon which will help.  There are only 2 video screens on the Pacifica though so I'm not sure how we'd reconcile that to 3 kids, but I guess the big one can just use her tablet.  She should be able to use that by herself pretty soon anyway.

Cars are expensive.  Ugh.
  • Options
    juliebird6 said:, 
    Ladies who have commented about having a king bed.  We recently upgraded to a king and I am having the hardest time finding a comforter that actually hangs down on the sides.  I want something that hangs down pretty far (I HATE bed skirts).  It doesn't necessarily need to hang down to the floor, but I would like it to hang past the mattress, at the very least.  Where did you buy your comforters?!
    Big Lots of all places. I got a cheap (~$35) Project Runway king size "bed in a bag" set for ours that I absolutely adore.

I've never really had a problem with comforters going past the mattress, are you sure you didn't end up with a California king, which I believe has larger dimensions. Heh

• Options

@neeraja_k No, it's not a California king.  We bought an adjustable Tempurpedic, so it might be *slightly* different than a regular king sized mattress, but I don't think the dimensions would be that different??  It shouldn't affect the width of the bed, I wouldn't think?

• Options
    delujm0 said:
    @calimom2524 we drove the 2018 Odyssey, 2018 Pacifica, and 2018 Sienna.  We're between the Odyssey and Pacifica right now.  We built out a similarly priced model of both and I think I'm leaning toward the Pacifica.  The Odyssey has absolutely amazing seating options (the second row captain's chairs can slide and lock anywhere left to right and front to back so access to the third row is awesome) but other than the seating (and Honda's better reliability record) I think you get better stuff in the Pacifica for the same price.  The seating in the Pacifica would be a slight inconvenience with 2 rear facing kids at once, but that's a limited time, and DD1 should be able to buckle herself in soon which will help.  There are only 2 video screens on the Pacifica though so I'm not sure how we'd reconcile that to 3 kids, but I guess the big one can just use her tablet.  She should be able to use that by herself pretty soon anyway.

Cars are expensive.  Ugh.
    Get the Honda. It'll still be in great running order and in better shape for a first car for your oldest when the time comes. :P

I've had very poor experiences with every Chrysler product I've owned, or have family own them. Despite the fact my husband works for Toyota, and we get at-cost pricing on new vehicles, my parents insisted on buying a new Ram truck and Jeep. It's been nothing but trouble on both since they bought them. So whenever they tell me about their latest electrical malfunction, or new engine leak, I just smile and nod and go hug my 12yo "never had a problem" Tacoma. Heh
  • Options
    @juliebird6 We have two king quilts that I switch out depending on the season. I bought the lighter one at Target. With king comforters, I’ve found that they’re not really the shape of the bed. If I lay them one way, I have a lot of extra at the bottom and not much on the sides. If I turn them 90 degrees, I have enough to cover the sides of the mattress and just enough at the bottom to fold under. Both my quilts have designs that look right even if the quilt is turned sideways. 
  • Options
    Aside from the cost, I'm petty jealous of you guys who are getting to buy minivans. I love minivans, and so does DH! I don't understand why people make fun of them. I'm having my first, so no justification for a new car, but if we have a second I'm getting a minivan ASAP. I drive a 2003 Subaru Outback that I love, but I'd take a good excuse for an upgrade. 
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I have decided to look into get an SUV.  We have Ford Fusion but it's not going to work.  Looking at the Edge and the Explorer but if I'm being honest, I really want the Explorer.  I'm sure the extra room will come in handy.

• Options
    I love love love my Ford Expedition. It's a tank and I love her. 

• Options
    I love love love my Ford Expedition. It's a tank and I love her. 
    The Expedition looks amazing but DH thinks it's "too much."  

• Options
    @calimom2524 How's the storage in the back when the 3rd row of seating is being used?  We are looking into getting another SUV, and I was looking at the VW Atlas, but it looks fairly similar to the Expedition.
  • Options
    @juliebird6 it's alright. I definitely prefer when the 3rd row is not being utilized but since DS1 insists on having his own row (eye roll) both are currently being used. It's enough space to fit all of my groceries though so I don't mind it 
    @msmonalisavito it's definitely big but once I drove my expedition there was no way I wasn't getting another when I totaled it. It's a beast of a vehicle but perfect for my family's needs. We hike in the mountains a lot so having a big vehicle to hold all of us plus our gear was important. 

• Options

@derbysquirrel I have I 2011 Jetta Sportswagen, which is similar to the Outback, and I effing love that car.  It makes me sad that I have to get rid of it.  Though it is caught up in the VW "diesel scandal" so VW is actually buying it back from us for $5k more than we paid for it, so I was going to sell it this year anyway to get the cash.  I was planning to just buy a new gas model of the same car and then I got pregnant with #3, so minivan it is.

We did look at a few of the SUVs with third row seating, and the access to that third row is never as easy as it is with a minivan, and when you have the third row in use you have negative storage space, so we decided that once our kids are older and out of car seats that is a possibility for us, but for now, it's minivan all the way.

• Options
    Kids haven’t been in school since Thursday and I’m losing my mind. I had been taking them outside to play but today the windchill is staying around -10 so we are staying inside. I hate winter. 

Bring on underboob sweat of summer. 
  • Options
    And this being baby #4, we are leaning towards the suburban. Lots of room for traveling. 
  • Options
    Finished my report cards with 30 minutes to spare! I'm super jealous of everyone who had the day off today. I didn't sleep well and am so exhausted right now. I can't wait to go home, put on my PJs, and go to bed. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• Options
    Double posting because I have my judgey-pants on and need to vent. 

A girl I used to work with at my second job just announced that she's pregnant with her second. Which, good for her, except that her baby daddy is a drug dealer who lies to collect disability so he can stay home and smoke pot all day, and she works part time as a substitute teacher (and she's so nasty to the kids, my school won't call her anymore). It really annoys me that MH and I work our asses off and my tax dollars are funding her life (including designer purses and yearly 4/20 trips to Denver), and now a second kid. And she'll get to stay home with her baby on my dime, while I'll be back at work after 15 school days to take care of my baby. 

Don't get me wrong, I think there absolutely should be public assistance for people who need it. My family was on food stamps when I was a kid because my dad was working three minimum wage jobs and ends still weren't meeting. And I know that these people are the exception, not the rule. It just feels so frustrating when it's right in your face. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• Options
    @jsnakehole  I am 100% behind you on that. We have WIC just because nursing/EPing hasn't worked and Formula is $$$$. I am bringing home 40k a year and H has just started to hit 20K consistently. If we didn't have the wonderful in-home daycare we have, there would be no more thought of kids. Like both factories would have been closed down after #2. Its so maddening to see that I can't get a bit of help on a heating bill or something, but Joe Doe down the street can drive whatever car he wants, spend likes it going out of style, and can still have $ for his dealer. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    @calimom2524 thanks for asking! He’s improved but still has a fever today. Spiked at 103. If he wakes up with one tomorrow I’m bringing him in

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @jsnakehole I get that. DH’s brother’s wife is basically addicted to Rx painkillers. She applied for state disability for undiagnosed, all-over pain that supposedly interferes with her ability to work. She was granted it when she fainted during the hearing. She and BIL make more than we do, counting her disability, but they both smoke and drink most of the $$ away. They’ll spend hundreds of dollars on cigarettes and hard liquor for themselves, then ask us to buy their kids expensive toys for birthdays because they don’t have the money. She literally does nothing all day, then posts how her boys (1st & 2nd grade) do all the cleaning and half of the cooking. It’s to the point that we don’t let DS be around her without us present because she’s almost OD’ed on Rx meds multiple times. And yet we’re paying for her to continue her habit and paying for her state-funded health care, like all her trips to the ER for “pulled muscles” when she runs out of her regular prescriptions.
  • Options
    @hardlyhannah, I’ve been advised to give Tylenol if ibuprofen hasn’t taken a fever below 101 after an hour. also, those are some pretty high temps for nothing to be going on :( influenza or ear infection maybe? you may want to take him in to get checked out anyways, just to be on the safe side.  DS had a temp of 104.8 and I was so scared so I can’t even imagine how scary that was! Big hugs to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD got ear tubes today so not only have I been awake since the butt ass crack of dawn, I have been throwing up half the day. DH is having a sleep study tonight and I’m already missing him. Woe is me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Feb 18 has mass exited for their FB group and the post was entertaining. 

If you’re bored. 
    Gotta love those random lurkers who want in and their indignation when they're told no! Happens every time! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @roadspeckle that's sounds rough, hang in there!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Last night when DH and I got home from work we locked the keys in the car. We have a push to start car, so the keys were in my purse, along with our house key. We both got out, shut our doors and somehow all the doors were locked...with DS inside! Cue freak out!! Thankfully the car was warm, we were in our garage and he was happily watching his tablet. We called non-emergency police, who then sent the fire department to help us out. We live in a small town, fire department 2 blocks away, but I still felt horrible they had to come out. DS started to get upset as they were working on the doors, so they gave him a stuffed animal when all was said and done. He insisted on bringing said stuffed animal to daycare today, so I'm sure he will tell all of his friends "the firefighters helped me and gave me this lion" like he kept repeating last night. The exciting and slightly terrifying moments of parenthood! :)
    Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• Options
    @lolog531 that’s one of my biggest fears - locking DS in the car! So glad it was a quick and easy fix and now he has a fun story to tell! He’ll just remember the cool firefighters 

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    omg @lolog531
    I thought that the car would not lock if the keys were inside! That sucks, glad it worked out ok! 

I dropped my phone getting out of the car this morning and now the screen is about 30% spider cracks. I'm due for an upgrade anyway so not a big deal but I was about to take a screen shot to send to DH to show him the damage #ImSoDumb 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hardlyhannah he is currently obsessed with firetrucks and every time a truck goes past our house (which is often since fire department is right there) he runs to the front window. He for sure thought last night was super fun! ha!

@ecwk I always thought the same thing!! We've had the car 2.5 years and have never had an issue. Neither one of us hit the locks when we were getting out, so we have NO Idea how it happened!
    Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• Options
    Feb 18 has mass exited for their FB group and the post was entertaining. 

If you’re bored. 
    Awkward!

• Options
    Hugs for your @roadspeckle That's a lot to handle!

@lolog531 I'm so paranoid about that happening to me too! So glad you were in a safe warm place when it happened. 

... heading over to the Feb board.