September 2018 Moms
Options

AW: ***Ultrasound Thread***

megnwingatemegnwingate member
edited January 2018 in September 2018 Moms
***Please keep the interactions to “love it’s” only so we can have a cleaner board and no ultrasound is lost in the comments. ***

If you have any questions please ask in the Weekly Questions threads.

Don’t forget to trim any personal information and for the love of God no crotch shots (when we get to that point) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018

Re: AW: ***Ultrasound Thread***

• Options
    @BumpAdmin
    sticky please! 

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    megster0418megster0418 member
    edited January 2018
    @bethechangekaren that's not unusual. If you have longer cycles, that can happen as you may ovulate (and therefore conceive) later than the standard 28 day cycle. Possitive thoughts your way! Your little bean is cute!
  • Options
    @bumpadmin Can we please get a sticky?
  • Options
    yogapants247yogapants247 member
    edited January 2018
    @bethechangekaren - When I was pregnant with my first, I had my first u/s at 7 weeks, and I was measuring about 4 days behind where I *knew* I should be (I had been charting and knew when I ovulated) - I was a little bit concerned, but I measured on track for what I had calculated at my next u/s (at 11 weeks) and by my 3rd they changed my "official" EDD to what I knew it should be all along. Being off my a few days in either direction is totally normal this early, or you may have just ovulated a little later in your cycle!
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• Options
    @bethechangekaren with my dd my OB pushed my due date back 11 days after my first us, even though I was tracking ovulation and 11 days would have been impossible based on when I got the BFP. Then guess who showed up 11 days early on what I originally thought was my Edd? My OB said the 8 week scan is the most accurate but how accurate can you be when measuring something so tiny using sound waves?
  • Options
    @bethechangekaren. Same thing happened to me. I go back in two weeks to make sure the baby is growing. My cycle is normally 24 days and I tracked everything as well. My LO is measuring 6w and 4 days but It should be 8 weeks. 
  • Options
    musicalmommy3musicalmommy3 member
    edited January 2018
    Doc called back and said I have a large SCH (like I did with my daughter) and the heart rate was only 93 at 5 weeks 6 days which he said is very low. Hoping the SCH heals and that the heartbeat gets stronger. Wasn’t a fun phone call to get...
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3 sending good thoughts your way for the SCH to heal and a perfect heartbeat next time!!
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3 Oh *hugs*, I'm so sorry you got that call. Crossing everything that it all turns out ok! 
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3. Will be keeping everything crossed for better news next time!  That sounds so scary to hear. (((Hugs)))
  • Options
    @MeekaMorel. Wow!  How exciting
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3 FX for a good appointment and outcome for you and this LO.
    @MeekaMorel Wow I think you're the first (potential) mom of multiples on this board! :)
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    @musicalmommy3, what a difficult phone call.  Hugs, and fingers crossed for a more positive follow up appointment.

@shaybug12 & @bethechangekaren, I hope both your follow-up scans go well.

@MeekaMorel, how cool is that!
  • Options
    @lumosmaxima. So great to hear a perfect scan report!!!  :D
  • Options
    My appointment is later this morning. I just want it over with so I can proceed with whatever the news is.  :# 
  • Options
    @musicalmommy3 I am so sorry to hear that. With my first they told me not to tell anyone after our 8w because she looked too small and low heartbeat. By next appointment (after much stress and tears) she was on track and everything looked normal. Praying you get similar good news at the next appointment! 
  • Options
    Do most most 7 week appointments do an ultrasound? Based on what my doctor emaile, it’s more of an appointment where they just ask questions about my history. I have it next week and am hoping to have an ultra sound/ get more insight on how things are going “in there”. Will hate to have to wait till the 10-12 week appointment :(
  • Options
    They also told me they won’t hear the heart until 11 weeks? That doesn’t sound accurate with people posting heart rates in this thread at 6 weeks?
  • Options
    @kleary818 I think doctor's have different schedules for when they do ultrasounds. Can you email back to their email and ask?  I know my first appointment was last week and it was more questions and stuff like that. They schedule as soon as you find out you are pregnant to confirm then do an ultrasound around 7 weeks (I go back on the 29th) and that appointment is only for ultrasound. 
  • Options
    Congrats everyone on all the good scan updates!!!! 

@kleary818 My OB schedules the first appointment at 8-10 weeks and they do the ultrasound as well as initial history at that visit. They only see you sooner if you’re high risk, have had 3 or more miscarriages, or have had bleeding or a problem with the current pregnancy. So they don’t typically do a 7 week appointment. But I think every doctor may be a little different so other people may have different experiences. That’s just one OB group. I hope you don’t have to wait too long for that first ultrasound!!! They should be able to see the baby at 7 weeks if they decide to do an ultrasound while you’re there. 
  • Options
    @allisontakesontwo thanks so much for your comfort. I am very nervous. On family vacation in Florida just trying to keep thinking positive. 

• Options
    @kleary818 fetal heart rate detection is heavily dependent on equipment and ultrasound type. If your OB doesn’t offer transvaginal ultrasound they are less likely to hear or see much of anything early on since the uterus is so low in first tri. 
  • Options
    @kleary818 they can use a doppler from the outside around 10 weeks to hear the baby’s heart rate. My doctor’s office used to only do a 13 & 20 week ultrasound. They recently changed their policy to add a “dating” scan at the first appointment (7-8 weeks). I think too many people didn’t know their due date and it was messing up NT scans and blood work. 
  • Options
    @kleary818 I started with a “confirmation of pregnancy” appt. where they did a urine and blood test then they scheduled me for an OB appt. between 7-9 weeks where they will do an u/s. Every doctor’s office is different. Mine will check the hb with the u/s but won’t actually use the doppler so we can physically hear it until later in pregnancy. So until then, we’ll just see it flickering on the screen.
  • Options
    kristen8164kristen8164 member
    edited January 2018
    I just emailed the doctor and got this as a response:
    "No they would not be doing an ultrasound at those visits. Unless there is a medical reason or if you decide to do the genetic testing the first official ultrasound is between gestational weeks 18-20. If you decide to do genetic testing, it consists of blood work and an ultrasound between weeks 11-13."

Disappointing that the first appointment we won't really find anything else out... and I can't believe the first ultrasound isn't until week 18-20?!?! That seems super late!!

Does anyone know if insurance covers genetic testing (I know I'll find more out about it next week- but trying to get prepared). Can I request an ultrasound?? Waiting sucks when you want to make sure everything is going OK in there. It would stink to start telling family and then find out something weeks later when they do the ultrasound.
  • Options
    @kleary818 last pregnancy I would have one had 1 ultrasound total, around 20 weeks, had I had no issues. I ended up with 1 at 10 weeks due to bleeding, and 1 at 31 weeks due to premature labor, and a last one at 35 weeks, confirming baby's breech position. But again, if I had smooth sailing, it would have only been one. Even this time, I don't have my first appointment until 10 weeks. 

A lot of ladies in here have had previous conception or pregnancy issues or have other health concerns that lead to more ultrasounds for monitoring.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ive been dragging my feet on getting the ball rolling with this pregnancy bc of our history (all the nervessss) but finally went in yesterday to do some blood work and get the process started. Like some here, I won't be able to be seen until 8-10 weeks. Im 6 right now. Congrats to everyone thats gotten to see their little bean(s)! They all look great!! 
    AF Wife/ Mama / Brewing Baby H / Photographer
  • Options
    @kleary818 that is frustrating. Another reason for early ultrasound would be if you're doing infertility treatments. Typically the RE will do earlier ultrasounds. That was the case with our ultrasound, we had one at 6w3d. But 18 weeks seems like a really long time to wait!

Me: 26 DH:28

Married:10/25/14

TTC#1: August 2016

• Options
    Thanks for the helpful info! Makes me calm down :) haha