April 2018 Moms
Options

Glucose Test

Thought it would be good to have this thread, I know in the upcoming weeks a lot of us will be doing the glucose test.  Just thought we could have a thread where you can ask questions, share when you are doing it and if you passed or failed, even rant and give some support.  I'm sure once everyone goes through it we will have a Gestational Diabetes check in.  

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker

Re: Glucose Test

• Options
    I go in for my 3 hour glucose test on the 12th this month.  I'm doing it way earlier since I had GD in my last pregnancy and I already failed the first one they gave me back at 10 weeks.  So I have been on a diet since then in hopes that I won't have it again but since at our A/S baby was measuring pretty big i'm going to assume I probably have it.  

Anniversary

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I am so freaking nervous for this test :,(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my early test last month. I felt so sick after and was sure I'd have an elevated number. But mine was fine. I know I'll have to take it again in 2 months. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I remember doing this test 12 years ago with DD. Have they made the syrup drink any less disgusting since then? LOL!

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married 5/3/14, TTC ever since

DX: Lean PCOS, Clomid resistant

Femara 7.5 + Ovidrel = BFP! Due 4/15/18

• Options
    I had an early test too and I passed. But the OB said no matter what, I have to take it again. Ugh. 

@klburke88 I've never had any kind except the orange kind! Which isn't terrible. Apparently there are other flavors now!
  • Options
    The drink is way better now. 
  • Options
    @MrsF1017 Thank god, LOL!

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married 5/3/14, TTC ever since

DX: Lean PCOS, Clomid resistant

Femara 7.5 + Ovidrel = BFP! Due 4/15/18

• Options
    I had a clear fruit punch. I thought it was pretty good considering lol. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I have this scheduled for the week of Christmas. My o/b already gave me the drink, I'm supposed to drink it at home 45 minutes before my appointment then they'll draw my blood when I get there. But I'm nervous about that because when I did the test with DS I passed out after the drink--what if that happens again and I'm stuck at home and can't get to the doctor for the test? I don't know whether I should ask DH to stay home with me just in case or what. Anyone else do it this way?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @Dumbgurl04 Thank you for starting this thread. I feel like this will be extremely helpful to hear others' experiences with the test. Hoping your test next week goes well!
    @mcb2016 Clear fruit punch doesn't sound terrible.. my OB said I'll be having the orange flavor.  :s
    @kaymaroo I would definitely ask your DH to stay with you that day. That sounds scary, and it might make you feel better knowing he's there just in case. Do you think it was just because of the amount of sugar you ingested that caused you to pass out?

My test will be at 28 weeks so I have two months to go. That visit has extended education (birth plan and the like) too so I'll be there for awhile. I'm hoping I don't have to have the drink and then listen to the education after. I have a feeling I won't feel well after the test.. I haven't been handling sugar well lately. Hoping everyone's tests go well! 
  • Options
    For those who have had GD in previous pregnancies, were there any warning signs before the diagnosis? I’ve been pretty woozy the last few days and although I guzzle water, I’m always thirsty. This could easily be down to traveling over the weekend, but I’m starting to worry it’s more than that. Anyone have any insight? 
  • Options
    @dan0081 Thanks for the advice! Honestly just writing about it and hearing your response helped me realize that, very clearly, it makes sense for DH to stay home with me that morning.

They said I passed out due to the sudden sugar rush after only having greek yogurt (plain sugar-free) for breakfast. But this time they told me to fast before the test so I can't imagine it will be any better. I didn't end up having GD last time so apparently passing out isn't a sign of anything serious.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @kmalls no in my last pregnancy I had no signs that I could have GD.  Wasn't really thirsty and didn't have any kind of issues with low sugar or to much at least from what I could tell. 

Anniversary

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I failed my first pregnancy but wasnt informed to take it early this time. Weird? Lucky? Idk haha. With my first pregnancy though, I never had a high number, only pulled really low numbers. I was really underweight also, so weight etc doesnt play any roll lol. Everyone was super shocked I failed. 

@kmalls I never had any symptoms with my first pregnancy. And i actually found out this past year ( 3 years later) while in treatment for an eating disorder that I have Reactive Hypoglycemia, so im not even sure if that resulted in me getting a false positive. 
  • Options
    Little bit nervous for mine and at least some of the anxiety is coming from being afraid I’m going to screw up the timing! Appt is in the morning so I have to fight rush hour traffic to drive across the city to get to the office, which could take anywhere from 30 mins to over an hour if it’s really bad. Guess I’ll be relying on google maps to tell me when to drink, lol. Test is 12/18 and the drink has been staring at me every time I open the fridge since thanksgiving week. I’ll be glad when this one is over! 
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • Options
    @kaymaroo My doc went ahead and gave me mine as well. 

I actually have to have an ultrasound every 4 weeks because of peripheral umbilical cord insertion, so at my next appointment I'm supposed to arrive, drink the stuff, have an ultrasound, then do the test. So...baby will probably be hyped up during the ultrasound! lol 
  • Options
    I'm surprised some were given the drink already to drink at home before their appointment.  All the times I have done it they give it to me right at the office and I have to drink it in 5 minutes.  It a ucks cause you still have to drink it in 5 minutes with the 100ml during the 3 hour I always ask why can't I drink it in 10. 

@lindsye YES a brownie would be so much better then that cold drink.

Anniversary

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @kaymaroo I passed out too last year from the test (caused me severe hypoglycemia) so this time we are starting only with a AC1 blood test, that is supposed to do an average of blood sugar for the past 3 months. If no red flag no glucose test and if there’s any concerns they will make me do a food challenge that is supposed to be more tolerated. I work with midwives this time (plus my MFM) so I feel they are more open to alternatives ways.
    maybe you could ask if it’s a doable thing for you. 
  • Options
    @danjoly ooo I need to bring this up!! 
  • Options
    I take the test in Jan - I'm not looking forward to it. I have had to do the three hour each time and I luckily passed the three hour test. 

Fingers crossed this round!
  • Options
    @angiek1 man! They just made me do the 2 hour! If i failed, I failed, there was no do over or try again. Can you request the 2 hour and have it be one way or the other?
  • Options
    @sjn00 - In Neb we do a 1 hour test. If you fail then you have to go in for a three hour and get three blood draws. 
  • Options
    I feel like the last time I was on TB, there were women who were able to substitute M&Ms for their GD test.  Apparently you can substitute 28 jelly beans for the drink.

Https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10561636/

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @angiek1 Thats the same for California, but there is also a 2 hour test available. 
  • Options
    @kaymaroo i'm sure you could also drink it in the waiting room and sit there just in case you pass out.

I was given the drink ahead of time last time which was nice because I was able to drink it cold.  They said drink in 5 min and show up 60 min after.  I'm not sure how the new office does things but I remember it not being the worst thing in the world.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kmallskmalls member
    edited December 2017
    @kaymaroo i'm sure you could also drink it in the waiting room and sit there just in case you pass out.

I was given the drink ahead of time last time which was nice because I was able to drink it cold.  They said drink in 5 min and show up 60 min after.  I'm not sure how the new office does things but I remember it not being the worst thing in the world.
    @ekendall09 it’ll be the same. I drink it on the car ride there, let them know the exact time I finished it, then I typically have a quick office visit and they do the blood draw after. It’s pretty easy. 
  • Options
    I'm jealous you ladies can drink yours at home! They time us in the office to make sure we drink it in 5 minutes and then you have to sit there for an hour.
  • Options
    @danjoly That sounds so much better. I did tell my doctor about what happened last time and he didn't offer any alternatives. If the way you do it draws for the past three months, did you start doing the checks already? Or does it start from the time the GD test normally would?

@kendall I thought of that but I have the first appointment of the day so the office won't be open in time for me to drink it there. I'm a little bit tempted to drink it in the car in their parking lot, but I think if my husband is home with me I should be okay.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @kaymaroo the test itself (it’s only one draw) makes an average. I have no idea how it works, maybe we have a nurse or doctor here that can help explain. It’s the text used for diabetic patients to see how well they are controlled 
  • Options
    I feel like the last time I was on TB, there were women who were able to substitute M&Ms for their GD test.  Apparently you can substitute 28 jelly beans for the drink.

Https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10561636/

WHAT?!

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My office is another one of the 'can drink at home' places but we still have the time limit put in place. I ended up drinking mine in the car on the way to the OB office and it sucked because drinking that much fluid that fast makes me nauseous. And when you add in a moving car? Yuck. 

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Can someone remind me when the GD test typically is? I've forgotten.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ladythrice I think typically 24-28 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you!

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ladythrice I do mine at the 28 week appt. 
  • Options
    midnight-musemidnight-muse member
    edited December 2017
    I think mine will be done at 26 weeks. I've never had to have one before when pregnant with my other two kiddies. My dad now has type 2 diabetes (due to life style choices) so the midwife insisted I have it done. It's just another joy of being pregnant and family medical history. Thanks dad...
  • Options
    @ladythrice it's usually 24-28 weeks.  My Dr told me usually they wait until 28.  I'm doing mine at 24 because I already failed once before, so probably those at a higher risk do it closer to 24. 

@ngolimento I would rather have jelly beans then that drink. 

Anniversary

DIStickerscom Ticker