February 2018 Moms
Options

Randoms Week of 10/23

1235»

Re: Randoms Week of 10/23

• Options
    @amb929, I am outside of Boston, where are you? Our power came on about a half hour ago. We still had school today even though my son’s school had no power until noon. They had emergancy lights only, but at least we do not need to make up a day in June and I did not have to entertain a 5 yo with no power all day. I am glad you never lost it! 
  • Options
    amb929amb929 member
    edited October 2017
    @lainikins we are in southern Rhode Island about a half hour from the beaches in Newport. In this area, there are like 5-6 streets with power and everyone else is out. They’ve started restoring it but our news is reporting that most people will still be out until past 11pm tonight. Basically
    all the schools were cancelled and a few have roof damage so it’s unknown when those will reopen. Luckily, my son’s daycare in the next town over was unaffected and he had school today. This happened to us when we lived in Northern Rhode Island during Sandy and Irene. Our condo complex had power and basically no one else did. We for some reason have really good luck with this and I am so greatful for that! 
    Im glad you had school though cause those extra days in June certainly suck. One of the next towns over has already had a bunch of teacher sick outs due to union stuff so they’re already going to late Kine as it is. With this storm and the winter I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up cancelling spring vacation or something 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lucylou214lucylou214 member
    edited October 2017
    @lainikins  and @amb929 , I'm in New England, too.  Super strong and scary storm last night, and we had to drive around this morning to find coffee and charge phones.  We have lots of trees down in our backyard woods, but thankfully none near our house.  We have power back after about 18 hours out, and are SO thankful.  No school today here in most of the state, which included both DH and me, as we're both teachers. 
  • Options
    @lucylou214, glad you are safe and the power came back on. Hopefully school starts up again soon so you do not need to lose any of your maternity leave (if they decide to make up the days during April vacation) or have to be there late into June. We were out for about 18 hours as well. Most of my town has been restored now, there are just a few isolated pockets of outages. It was a much stronger storm than I was anticipating (mainly because I did not watch the news over the weekend and did not really know it was coming at all), but we very rarely lose power where I am, so I was a bit shocked. Luckily, I convinced my husband that we should get a generator when the early reports of Irma had it coming right for New England. 
  • Options
    @lainikins, I will most likely just get 'charged' the days against my accumulated leave when they make them up in June, which is a bummer since those are days I conceivably could have worked.  We're on day 2, and I'm hoping we can go back tomorrow.  I'm glad you're back on, too!  We don't have a generator, but getting one professionally wired, vs. one where we'd need to run extension cords around the house, is definitely on my longer-term 'save for it' list. Thankfully, we have family closeby who we could stay with if needed, and we have a wood stove for supplemental heat (or primary heat in an outage).  I was not expecting it to be this strong, either.. I think I more was prepared for the rain than the winds.  
  • Options
    Sigh I can feel pregnancy brain affecting my mental acuity, therefore affecting my work performance. Bossman just pulled me in and was like, "are you doing okay... [i gave a standard yes answer]... because i'm getting frustrated with xyz..." I know I don't want to stay here past next summer when I'm 100% vested in some things, but I definitely don't want to lose my job before that. This is not making me want to work harder, though, ugh. I do find focusing harder, but gotta put on my big girl panties through these next couple mo... Thanks for letting me vent. 
  • Options
    @clc515 I completely understand! My focus and motivation have been steadily decreasing. But with 3 more months to go, I can't let things slide too much. We'll also have our annual reviews before I leave, so I need to give myself a kick in the butt.