December 2017 Moms

FTM questions for STM+ 9/19

1235»

Re: FTM questions for STM+ 9/19

• I think @MJDsquared has the right idea.  Nurses love food, and it tends to be less controversial than other things. (I think of my mom here, who was a teacher, and her giant closet full of shitty scented candles and quirky sticky notes that she wished her students' parents had not felt like they had to get her)  Getting DH to bring them coffee one morning, or having grandma bake them a cake, etc. is going to score you points.  Keep in mind though that nurses aren't allowed to have food or drinks outside of certain areas, so if it's something larger-scale (i.e. you want to bring them an entire meal) you might have to arrange ahead versus surprising them. 
  • @babybison I work for the hospital I will be delivering at (as long as I can last one more day and make it to 32 weeks, otherwise I have to go to a different hospital--so I should be in the clear  ;)) And I had my friend in HR ask one of the L&D nurses and they said they LOVE when they get special treats. I'm going to make a basket full of candy/snacks/etc. and have a thank you note on it for them.  I think it will just be something special to do so they feel appreciated.  I'm also having twins, so I know the nursing staff will be a lot of help to me during my stay! 
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • Loading the player...
  • when i was stuck in the hospital for three weeks last time, we got a whole rack of kind bars in various flavors and a whole flat of costco muffins (those giant ones!) for the nurses. it was a big hit. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm a FTM and planning on bringing treats for the L&D nurses as a thank you gift. I heard that they prefer packaged/bought foods so I'm gonna order a tray of cookies from Cheryl's (they are bangin'!) Planning on the same gift for my OB's office as well. 
  • @babybison My sister recommended we plan on bringing a food-based thank you: platter of sandwiches, bagels & coffee, cookies assortment, something like this.  We need to check the hospital policy, too, but there's a great sandwich shop I have in mind that does a nice catering assortment (we've ordered it for work lunches before) that I have bookmarked on DH's tablet in case that sort of thing is acceptable.  They also deliver. :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • +1 Cheryl's cookies 
  • @MJDsquared I felt hiccups with DD, but not so far with this one

@babybison I have hearf of people doing nurses gifts, but we didn't. If we had a nicu stay I probably would, because its so much longer and more intensive

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • 1 - I haven't felt hiccups yet either, so you're not alone @MJDSquared.  I still feel tons of kicks.  And if I press down I feel what seems like a heartbeat.  I really think its a heartbeat and not hiccups.  

2 - I loved hearing everyone's thoughts on nurses gifts.  I hadn't even thought about getting something.  I think perhaps I'll do something like coffee, because those wonderful people work some crazy hours sometimes!  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • mdcd44127mdcd44127 member
    edited October 2017
    @MJDsquared Hah, like you, I felt hiccups for (probably) the first time last night, it was when I went to bed and the sensation was very, very soft but perfectly rhythmic. Funny how posting about it seemed to make it happen. 

I will definitely be picking up a multi-pack of small thank-you cards and some treats from our local bakery to give to the nurses, thanks to all the PP's for the great suggestions!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @Amber_Waves That's such a cute idea!! These days it would work pretty well with a baby named Justin & those Justin's nut butter snack packs.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Potentially gross/TMI question, so it's behind a spoiler. :)

Okay, STM+ moms... when does the puking stop?  I'm pretty sure mine is mechanical, caused by limited space and relaxed sphincters, combined with the glorious smell- and touch- sensitivity.  I basically have no ability to stop a gag-reflex from turning into a "reversal of fortune."  Does this get better when the kid arrives, or do the hormones keep messing with me for a few more months?

Sidebar: I desperately miss my pre-pregnancy iron stomach.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ashtynmo My labor was good overall-I mean, I pushed a human baby out of my body, so there's some discomfort!

My water broke around 10 pm. I kicked DH out of the bedroom so he could sleep while I timed my contractions and tried to rest alone. At 6am our doula came over. I had some back labor, so she massaged my back and I sat on the big yoga ball in the shower while she had the warm water hitting my back.

At around 8 or 9am, we went to the hospital since there was jackhammering going on next door, which was not conducive to a calm environment! I was admitted by 10am. Since I was GBS+ I had an IV for antibiotics. I started pushing around 3 and pushed for a long time, but I wasn't really aware of the time going by. It was 3 hours, for the record, but everyone kept saying I was really close. I went pain-med free and had zero tearing and no need for an episiotomy, so healing was pretty quick.

Also, one of my close friends had a labor so fast that her daughter was almost born while they filled out the admission paperwork!!!! And it was her first! I think start to finish it was 3-4 hours.

Even my sister, who labored for 37 hours, counts hers as a good labor, too. Read Ina May's guide to childbirth. They are great, good stories for positive experiences (and have a great hippy vibe! They're all births from this idyllic utopian birthing center in the mountains...).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @splsmama2016
     SpOiler because discusses previous somewhat traumatic labor. 

the same thing happened with me during my labor with DS1. Happened immediately after receiving epidural and It took multiple shots of epinephrine to stabilize me and DS1.  It unfortunately happened again within 5 mins and resulted in an emergency c-section. My OB at the time said "it just happens sometimes". However, when I asked my current OB, he said he sees it happen when the anesthesiologist is in a rush and pushes the epi thru too fast and feels like that is what happened in my case.  I will bring up your reasoning to him next appt though and see if he feels that could be an alternate conclusion for why it happened to me as well. I suppose I will never know for sure but i want to make sure all possibilities are discussed 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• @Marley629 that's interesting!! I've never heard of that, but it TOTALLY makes sense. I'm so glad you both are ok, but that is intense!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • STMs:   What is something useful that you maybe did not register for, but were gifted, that you ended up loving and using a lot??
    31 years young
    from Seattle(ish)
    5 years married
    FTM and PGAL
    EDD is 12/23/17
    -- It's a BOY! ---

• @moonlady-2 one of my friends is a NICU nurse and got me a diaper cream applicator, which I had seen online before and made fun of. But omg it works so well...you don't get cream all over your hands, you can use a whole lot less, and you get an even coat. I'm not one to use random things, and err on the side of minimalism when it comes to things for baby but this is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/BabyBum-Diaper-Cream-Brush-Blue/dp/B00LYQ53JW/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1508089737&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+bum+diaper+cream+brush+-+blue
  • failuretoflyfailuretofly member
    edited October 2017
    @moonlady-2 a sleep sack. When I opened it I was like.... uh thanks? Then at 11 weeks old when DS REFUSED to be swaddled in the span of like 24 hours, it became a life saver.

Also, all the meds. Gripe water, glycerin supps, thermometer, Tylenol, nasal saline drops... the stuff you don't think of until it's 2 am and your baby is sick and you don't know what to do
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • moonlady-2 Seconding @failuretofly's meds suggestion. You definitely don't need 'em til you need 'em. AFM - we loved the velcro swaddles - I didn't even know those were really a thing. Also we were gifted a really nice umbrella stroller which has been great when we're traveling a bit more light than what the bulky travel system stroller allows.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• STMs:   What is something useful that you maybe did not register for, but were gifted, that you ended up loving and using a lot??
    For me, we were using formula and a friend gave us her Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher. Holy lifesaver! You could mix a batch up and just leave it sit in the fridge for up to 24 hours and use as needed.  Highly recommend for those not breastfeeding.  Also, add a nose frida or two to your registry.  We kept one in our diaper bag and one at home.  We used it almost daily in the winter during cold season! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you decide to go the formula route for whatever reason, how do you choose which formula is right for your baby/babies?  
    I’m expecting twins, and I have to be realistic about the possibility that being the only food source for them may be a bit of  struggle. Some help every now and then would be a good thing to have. 
  • @breezybee most of the major brands like Enfamil, Similac and Gerber will send you free samples if you sign up with them. Personally, I found that Similac created too many bubbles that upset DDs stomach, and she didn't like the taste of Gerber, so we stuck with Enfamil. Once she was about 4 months old, we experimented with store brands (and ended up with about 6 nasty poopy diapers a day). Again, each baby is different, but it's good to have those samples on hand! Then you at least have a starting point.
  • @breezybee it's really trial and error with formula unfortunately.  We tried about 3 or 4 different brands before we settled on Gerber Good Start Soothe.  They both took really well to it and we stayed on that for the year.  I wish we would of been able to do an enfamil or similac one, because if you sign up on their website they send you coupons and the more coupons you use the more they send!  Take all the samples from your doctors office too. They usually have a large supply and stock pile a few of those. That way you won't be out any money trying them if your babies don't like them.  Usually it is recommended to give each formula a week to two weeks to work as well.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @breezybee
    definitely sign up for mailing lists with all the major brands! They all send a pretty hefty sample for you to try and see if you legitimately like it. And if you end up like I did with DS and don't need them at all, you can always donate them to a local food bank!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • tmk0325 said:
    @breezybee it's really trial and error with formula unfortunately.  We tried about 3 or 4 different brands before we settled on Gerber Good Start Soothe.  They both took really well to it and we stayed on that for the year.  I wish we would of been able to do an enfamil or similac one, because if you sign up on their website they send you coupons and the more coupons you use the more they send!  Take all the samples from your doctors office too. They usually have a large supply and stock pile a few of those. That way you won't be out any money trying them if your babies don't like them.  Usually it is recommended to give each formula a week to two weeks to work as well.  
    YES! I asked for samples at every visit and they would load me up with like 6-8 mini cans (usually about 2 weeks worth) of formula. 
  • We also started with samples once we had to supplement. Most of the time DD drank the store brand version of Enfamil gentle, but we also did gerber and anything I had samples of or coupons for. DD didn't usually like the premixed liquid (more expensive anyway) but otherwise she did ok. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @breezybee.  +1 for signing up so samples. The other day I came home and found a big box from Enfamil on my doorstep.  I don't know what list I signed up on that resulted in me getting it, because I don't remember requesting formula samples.  The box came with two nipples 6 of the 2oz bottles of premade newborn formula, four packs of infant formula travel packs (each makes 4oz of formula), and an 8oz tin of Gentlease (will make 52 oz of formula).  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Sign up for mailing lists/samples/coupons, as well as ask your pediatrician for samples. I had to supplement while still in the hospital (I had NOTHING coming out, not even colostrum for a few days), and we started with Similac non gmo as that's what they had (or we could have paid for donor milk), and it didn't affect her at all. But we also got really lucky with her as she wasn't colic, no gas issues, spit up, nothing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks you guys!  I’ll do that :)