December 2017 Moms
Options

FTM questions for STM+ 9/19

Re: FTM questions for STM+ 9/19

• Options
    My question: We ended up getting a hand me down Graco version of the rock n play (no idea what it’s called). Anyway, I know it doesn’t have the incline of the rock n play, and I also registered for the RnP that auto-rocks. My question is, should I still keep the RnP on my registry? I know the incline of the RnP is a big draw for moms of babies with reflux. And I know at least one STM on here recommended the auto-rocking.
    Keep it on there. You may find that one works better for you guys over the other

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So I FINALLY had my glucose test this morning.  I'm still waiting for the blood draw. But I have to say, my OB office was hella strict.  I had to basically chug it in front of the nurse while she had a 3 minute timer going.  She would not allow me to pour it over ice. Not sure why not? She did let me take the straw out of my tumbler of water to help drink it faster because I was definitely struggling to sip out of the bottle fast enough. Just wanted to give a quick warning in case there was anyone else out there who still hasn't had their GD test yet: it may be a little more stressful than you expect, but not because of the drink itself (it wasn't that bad, but then again, I drink soda and sweet tea)-- because of the time limit!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @elcd458 thanks for the heads up! I'm scheduled to do mine tomorrow!
  • Options
    @leilagphillips  Just take a straw with you! Hahaha
  • Options
    @elcd458 My test was similar, the lab tech stood there the whole time and kept telling me to "keep going, come on, come on" as I gagged through the whole thing. I barely finished in time, but if I had tried to drink it any faster I was definitely going to vomit. (Unfortunately I don't drink sweet drinks at all, my favorite beverage is lime seltzer, so getting that orange syrup down was a struggle.) I wish I had thought of the straw thing, I probably could have put it near the back of my mouth and tasted it less.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @djd0404 @elcd458 it sounds like they should actually be serving us this stuff in shot glasses. Just toss 'em back!
  • Options
    @leilagphillips @djd0404  It was definitely a larger quantity than I anticipated which threw me off.  Side note, it needs to be in juice box/Capri Sun format. Who wants to start a Kickstarter?
  • Options
    I always just look at mine like a big shot. "Oh, college..." always come to mind after I drink it.  :D
  • Options
    @ab920 That's exactly how I took mine. The first 3/4ths I knocked back like a champ, then the last 1/4 was a bit difficult... luckily it was cold...
    The best part was getting the portal message that I had passed... *phew* hugh sigh of relief. But to those who didn't pass I just want to send my encouragement to you... I thought I was sure to fail (overweight before pregnancy, and probably gaining too much so far during) 
    BabyFetus Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    LOL, i agree, i always think it should be served like a beer bong. no joke. knock it back, gals. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had 5 minutes to drink it for both the 1 and the 3 hour tests. 

Membrane sweeps: for those who get checked and are in fact dilated (when the time comes), are you going to do a membrane sweep? I never had one with DD1, but I'm considering it for DD2. At my 37 week appointment, my dr will check and ask if it's something I want to do, and for pretty much selfish reasons (i can explain in another comment if necessary), I think I would be more inclined to do so. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @splsmama2016 I had mine swept with DD at 39 weeks because I had actually regressed  (went from almost 3cm to barely 1 in a week). The plus side is that my water broke 2 days later. The down side was that I still never went into active labor on my own, so I had to be induced about 6 hours after they broke. Because I had to be monitored additionally, it really restricted the positions I was able to labor in (I could basically be in the bed sitting, laying, or on my side. I could be on all 4s for a few minutes at a time, and on the birthing ball for a little bit, but eventually the monitors would start to slip and I'd have to get back into bed so they could check on the baby). Despite all of that, in really glad I did get it done because my Dr is convinced I'd have to have been induced anyway, and she was full term, so I just got her a few days early. I figure I'll decide closer to my EDD if I'll do it again.
  • Options
    I'm sitting here at Quest now drinking my orange drink and I have 10 minutes to finish it. I don't love orange flavoring, but honestly this just tastes like orange kool-aid to me so it's not that bad. I was surprised how much time she gave me considering how much less time all of you ladies had. I even double checked with her!
  • Options
    @leilagphillips I had 10 minutes too and I didn't think it tasted that bad. 
  • Options
    I got to take my drink home with me, chill it in the fridge, then I had 10 minutes to drink it. I chose the lemon-lime flavor, and it wasn't bad at all. I drank it down in a couple of minutes with a straw with no issues. I then headed to the lab and had my blood drawn an hour later- super easy.
  • Options
    @splsmama2016 did the membrane sweep hurt? DD was 12 days late, so I think I will do a sweep on my due date this time around if labor hasn't started. I've heard women say it's uncomfortable. Is it like a pap smear?

My friend is an OB and she said she'd do a sweep at home if I don't want to go in. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @splsmama2016 I'm not opposed to a membrane sweep, but I am not sure I would do it as early as 37 weeks. At 39 or 40, sure. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @lavashiner membrane sweeps are more uncomfortable than a pap smear, but it's a quick pain that goes away within a few minutes. 
  • Options
    @splsmama2016 did the membrane sweep hurt? DD was 12 days late, so I think I will do a sweep on my due date this time around if labor hasn't started. I've heard women say it's uncomfortable. Is it like a pap smear?

My friend is an OB and she said she'd do a sweep at home if I don't want to go in. :)
    I found it really depended on who did it. My OB did it and it didn't hurt at all. But then a nurse did it (I called her "witch hands"  because she had the longest, skinniest arms and hands) and it was extremely painful. However, I think it was just her because everything she did hurt me and when others did it, it did not hurt. SO! It depends. 
  • Options
    I would probably do a sweep if I was 39 or 40 weeks... Maybe 38. I technically had one done with DS but my water had already broken, my midwife was just separating the bag from my cervix to encourage contractions. Who knows if it made a difference or not. I feel like it's one of those low risk things you can try to get labor started, but it probably won't do anything unless your body is already ready to go into labor any way. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @lavashiner I've never had one. But from the responses here, I'm guessing yes, it's going to hurt lol. 

@cait5413 yeah, I'm more inclined to wait 38/39 weeks than 37. I have anxiety over my in laws coming in for Christmas this year. I'm due the 18th, they're arriving the 22nd and I have this strong fear of going overdue and having to come home from the hospital to house guests. NOT how I want to start bonding with my new baby. DH isn't on the same page as me when it comes to having them stay at a hotel or even with my parents just up the road. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but how do you go about buying diapers to begin with? I obviously want to have some ready to go, but do you generally decide on one brand/type and stick with those, or can you mix brands based on what's on sale? Should I not buy too many to begin with in case the baby is sensitive to a certain kind, or is too big/small for a certain size?  I'm planning to cloth diaper a few months in but don't want to buy newborn cloth, so will be using disposable to start with. Just not sure how to know what to buy! Any STM advice?
  • Options
    @shellac835 I actually started stocking up within the last two weeks. I like to combine cartwheel coupons, plus Targets in store coupons (this week is spend $100 on baby essentials, get $20 back)  and manufacturer coupons to get good deals. Two weeks ago it was spend $100 get $25 back.  The times when you can double dip with the buy two boxes get $10 back are the best, but they haven't had any of those recently combined with the big gift card coupon.  I prefer pampers brand with my boys, so that's what I have started to stockpile with this one, although it's nice to get a good mix of size 1 diapers.  If you find one you really like, you can take the others back and exchange them.  I'd maybe start by buying the smaller size boxes (not the jumbo) so you aren't out a lot of money if you open a box and don't like them.  

With my twins I started stockpiling in June when they were born and when they came home from the NICU I think we had 14 boxes stacked up in all sizes.  Between my stash and gifts, we made it about 6 months before we had to stockpile again.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @shellac835 I am a FTM so I know next to nothing, but from my research almost nobody dislikes Pampers, so I have started stockpiling swaddlers. I have been scoring amazing deals at CVS with coupons and deals they are running. I also joined a diaper couponing fb group. I originally planned to cloth diaper, but that has gone out the window, so I am trying to get diapers as cheap as possible! 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the input! This might be a silly question, but why would I like one diaper over another? Do they fit differently (i.e. a long and skinny baby might fit a different brand than a short and chunkier one), are some more absorbent than others, or do some cause fewer skin issues? Can I just buy the cheaper Target brand and be ok, or will they cause problems?

@tmk0325 So you suggest maybe getting a few smaller packages of different brands and seeing what works best for me rather than stocking up on one? That's true about exchanging, I hadn't thought of that. 

@ktcakes87 I remember you posting in the cloth diaper forum, why have you decided not to? I SO want to try and do it but feel my dedication waning a bit as it gets closer  :/  It seems like such a commitment, and I don't think my husband is particularly on board.
  • Options
    Pampers swaddlers are pretty universally loved in the smaller sizes, so that is a good brand to stock up on. 

@splsmama2016 yikes! As we've discussed on other posts, planning to have someone stay with you right after you've given birth (or before if you're overdue, which is not uncommon) can be a good idea if they are super helpful or a horrible idea if they plan to be treated like guests and just hold the baby a lot. If I were you and not feeling excited about the prospect, I'd have some more convos with my husband to convince him that you should get to make the call on this. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
  • Options
    skc040512skc040512 member
    edited October 2017
    @shellac835 All diapers fit a little different - kind of like two women who both may be a size 8, but one can wear jeans from Gap and one hates them. It depends on the build of the baby, how they move, and your personal preference. I personally can't stand Huggies (I think DD always smells like pee when she wears them), but the fit is 100% fine. Some babies do have negative skin reactions to some brands, but it's different for every baby. DD has severe eczema and dry skin, but we've never had any diaper issues, so again, it depends on the kid. I would suggest getting some smaller packs of different brands in NB or 1s to try out. But like PPs said, Pampers swaddlers are great. The down side is their price point.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @shellac835 The closer we got to the due date the more anxious I was feeling about it. I know I can be pretty lazy and I HATE going to the basement to do laundry, so I decided to let it go. DH was on board but only because I was so persistent about doing it. Ever since I have decided to not CD I feel like a HUGE weight was been lifted. Now I'm super into couponing Pampers for cheap! 

@Skcobb I agree the downside to Pampers is the price, but if you coupon and work the deals you can get them for 10-13 cents each instead of 22-25 cents! 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    For diapers, I've got a couple boxes of Pampers and a couple boxes of Target Up&Up, as both seem to have good reviews from mommas.  My shower is also going to have a diaper raffle (for those who aren't familiar, anyone who brings diapers gets a raffle ticket and at the end you pull a winner who gets a nice gift basket), so I know I'm going to get a ton from the diaper raffle.  I'm assuming I'll get a variety of sizes (both in terms of size for the baby and number of diapers in the package), so I'll get started with those and figure out which ones I like and return/purchase as necessary.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    @Tennis11785 That diaper raffle sounds amazing, what a great way to stock up!

@ktcakes87 I hear you with the cloth, good for you for listening to your anxiety and doing what's going to work best for you guys! 

Man, why does it seem like every decision with babies is so complicated?! I just want to choose one type of diaper, one type of bottle, one type of bouncer/chair to put him in, and know what size clothing will fit him. 

And there's my little naive FTM rant  :)  
  • Options
    We use Target brand asnour backup stash (I have a pack in the car lol) and have had NO issues. She's in 4's right now, and they're a little bit on the big side, so just keep that in mind if your babe has a tiny tushy. I've never had a leak in them. 

For normal everyday use though, we use Pampers, and I always try to purchase when they're on sale or have promos going on (like BRU, starting the 8th if you buy 2 economy size boxes at $42+ each you get a $30 gc!! So stock up!!) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We also use up & Up. We used Pampers swaddlers when DD was in NB and size 1 and then transitioned to up & up at size 2--they work fine. We'll probably do the same with this LO. We definitely stock up when Target or other stores have their sales/coupons going on (also Amazon will sometimes put Pampers on a deal and you can subscribe and save extra, and then cancel the subscription if you find them cheaper somewhere else). 

Bottles can be tricky, unfortunately. DD would only drink from wide-neck bottles (breastfed baby), so I couldn't pump into a medela bottle and just put a nipple on it. Otherwise, though, she adapted. Even wide-neck bottles she didn't like at first she eventually came around to, but it does help to have an assortment at first. We used Avent, Playtex Vent-Aire, munchkin, and lanisoh (many of these I got as a free sample in various boxes--we bought the most of the playtex vent-aire and liked them. They're fairly cheap, but they do have several parts and can leak out the bottom if you don't have them screwed together just right.)

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
  • Options
    @whiska
    I totally agree! It's SO overwhelming. There are so many options for EVERYTHING and some people make you out to be bad parents if you don't research every single tiny decision. Trying to buy DS a convertible car seat was PAINFUL. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'll jump in on the diaper convo. We used Pampers Swaddlers when DS was little. It's what he started in (it's what they have in most hospitals I believe) and it's the brand we registered for and were gifted. As those started running out we tried out Target Up and Up and are a fan. Now that DS is bigger (he's in 4s), he mostly wears Pampers Cruisers during the days and Up and Up overnights at night.

This varies depending on whether or not we have random larger sizes that we were gifted in something else stocked away (I think right now we are using Pampers Sensitive Swaddlers?) or if we find something on sale/super cheap/etc (we've used Aldi brand diapers and were a fan). However, I know what works for us so I try not to go too far outside of the box. I'm not rich, but I am also not super interested in potentially buying something I'll feel obligated to use even if it doesn't work as well to save 10 bucks monthly.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    I've only used pampers and tommy tippee bottles for my DS.  I'm hoping that it wasn't just a fluke that he didn't have any issues with the bottle/diapers and I will use the same ones for this baby.
  • Options
    I bought all Pampers diapers when I was pregnant with my DD since everyone seems to like them.  Well, she was of course allergic to them! So I had to return a trunk full of diapers to Target.  This time I have been buying all Huggies so I might yell a little if LO is allergic.
  • Options
    i'm apparently in the minority but i do have one big issue with pampers - they all smell like pampers. and by that i mean they have a distinct fragrance. that aside, i find they work extremely well. we still use them in big sizes as the overnight diaper of choice and many other brands during the day. i'm used to the fragrance now but it's probably why some of you think other diapers just smell like pee, since it is masked with the pampers. it particularly bothered me when LO was an infant because i was trying not to surround him with clouds of scent and the diapers made it impossible. we used them anyway and did spend quite a bit of time in honest diapers (NB size only) because they were the smallest on the market and fit him the best. he wasn't small enough for preemie size but had a chunk of time where "normal" NB size were a bit too big. (now? i hold up a NB diaper and go "whaaaat? this was TOO BIG??")

i do also agree that blatant skin reactions aside, you will find that some brands "fit" your kid better than others. this is as changeable as everything else about your baby, since they grow so fast and they aren't always the same shape. those baby rolls aren't consistent as they hit their spurts, but overall you'll find which brands work better for you.

you use soooo many diapers in the beginning that i wouldn't worry about stockpiling and hating them unless you're legit buying 15 jumbo boxes of diapers. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ^^ OH yeah that reminds me. Honest diapers run quite a bit smaller. So if you pick some of those up or receive any as a gift, try and use them when LO first moves into a size. We have a ton of leftover 2s because I didnt try them out until it was almost time to move to 3s!

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016