March 2018 Moms
Options

**Ultrasound thread**

Re: **Ultrasound thread**

• Options
    Oh wow @Gingham! How exciting and terrifying at the same time! Congratulations @tlcl13! I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks and the sac measured way ahead. They said that was normal at that stage.Hooray for seeing a heartbeat!

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    @vflux33 Congrats on the twinsies!!!! 

Congrats to everyone else as well! Seems like many of us had an exciting week this week! 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Gingham Three!  You're still pretty early to see anything beyond the sacs.  I'm excited and terrified for you!
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    @vflux33 twins!!! So so so excited for you!
  • Options
    Love seeing all these sweet tiny babies!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Congratulations!!!!
  • Options
    @scoogy19 @fullofhope25. I'm in the same boat where as long as there are no concerns the only Ultrasound done is the anatomy scan.  With my first pregnancy it felt like I had to wait forever for the scan! With this pregnancy I at least know what to expect.  The waiting is certainly hard though! 
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    @scotiagirl I'm in that boat as well. And even though I had an early US because of an issue, I was still not allowed to see it at all. Even after the radiologist viewed it and my midwife. 
  • Options
    @kalawa so sorry you didn't even get to see it!  That makes the waiting even harder!  
  • Options
    runsoncoffeerunsoncoffee member
    edited July 2017
    @kalawa wow that's strange they wouldn't let you see it!! I ended up with an early one this time because of dating discrepancies and I got to see the whole thing. It was neat but there was something special about waiting all that time the first time, I have to say!
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    I don't know if it's Ontario's laws or what, but they aren't allowed to show you anything before 10 weeks or something. I definitely glanced at the screen when she left, but had no clue what I was looking at haha. She wasn't even supposed to tell me if there was a heartbeat but I begged her. 
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    @kiki75 I couldn't agree more. We are entitled to our medical records, but you can't show me MY uterus on an US unless I get an official request. Absolute nonsense. 
  • Options
    @kalawa I asked the U/S tech to just be straight with me right away and tell me if it was in the right spot (the uterus and not a fallopian tube!), and she said she couldn't do that (and she herself was probably 8 months pregnant!)...had to wait 10 minutes after the U/S for her to come and tell me all looked good...it all feels so backwards sometimes 
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    @mountain_girl it is very backwards sometimes. What a system sometimes. BUT I can't complain too much, it's free healthcare I suppose.
  • Options
    kiki75kiki75 member
    It's not free. It's included in the lump sum you're paying. I know it feels like there's little you can do but it at least feels better to write your reps. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    That seems so strange about not letting you see the ultrasound at all. Even though at the early scans I really have no clue what I'm looking at, it's strangely comforting just to be able to see what they're looking at.

At my old OB office before I moved, it was a small office and all the OBs did the ultrasounds themselves, so they talked through the entire thing as they were going. I miss that at my new dr, because here they have ultrasound techs who do the scan, and then the dr comes in after to discuss. It just feels more cold and impersonal that way. 
  • Options
    kiki75kiki75 member
    @pumpkinpancake I agree completely. *TW* When I had my loss, I was fortunate enough to have my OB doing the US, giving me the dx immediately, and discussing where to go from there. No tech who couldn't tell me anything but suddenly got stoic. No waiting for the doctor to come in. I know that many places use techs but I made sure to thank my doctor and tell her I appreciated that they do it that way. She looked at me like she couldn't imagine it any other way. 

TTC since Feb 2016
  • Options
    bb3vj3n  - I am so sorry to hear about your experience. That is awful! I would have wanted to burn the hospital down. That is so crazy! People can be so insensitive. 

You ladies are making me so excited for my US this week! Because my OB is on the slow boat in terms of an US, I am going to get an US from a boutique on Thursday (at 8 weeks) and my first official appointment with my OB is the following week on August 7, but I have already been told that I will more than likely not have an US at that time with my OB. BUT I am excited and hopeful about my US at the boutique. I can't wait to see my little bean!!! AND a heart beat!
  • Options
    jlo629jlo629 member
    The US tech cannot diagnosis anything or tell you anything as they are not a certified MD.  They can only take the US and then the images go to a MD that reads them and makes the official diagnosis.  They do not show anything on the screen if it looks less than perfect as that could lead to questions about possible issues and such and again they cannot give you any medical information.  It does stink as I had my US on the 17th and the tech would not show me the screen.  The MD did let me see it a few hours later when he explained that I have a threatened miscarriage.  I have another US on Monday and I am not even having DH come as I know we will not see anything.  I have my appt with the MD 3 hours later to find out the results so DH will come to that.  It does stink but it is really to protect the hospital as if the US tech told someone something wrong they would be held liable.
  • Options
    kiki75kiki75 member
    @jlo629 Oh, I totally understand the CYA notion with the techs. I still think that it's a poor standard of care and is why I think that doctors should at least do the first US. For one, they try to hide it but you can tell. If people want to see, they should be able to see. It shouldn't be a government mandate (These ladies are Canadian and the policy is that you just plain can't see it. Good or bad.) that you're not allowed to see (or the converse in the US where some states are forcing people looking to terminate to see their USes) *TW* I only have vague memories of the screen with my loss but I do remember looking over and knowing that what was there was nothing like what should be there. In my post loss craze of "what-ifs", including what if she was wrong, it was really comforting to think back and remind myself that what I saw on the screen was definitely not a 9-week fetus.

TTC since Feb 2016
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    @kiki75 Luckily, because I am in Canada, we pay nothing for our necessary health care. I suppose it comes out in our taxes, but I never have to fork over hundreds of dollars to have a baby. I count myself very fortunate in this sense. We do pay for added health benefits (private rooms, prescriptions, etc. either by cash or an additional coverage plan through employment, or company). And @jlo629 I completely understand why a tech can't tell me answers, as she doesn't have the qualifications. But I am more thinking that in terms of complications, a radiologist should come in right away to discuss. 
  • Options
    Excluding anyone not from the States (sorry lovelies, it's about American medical care) 

I have not only seen every single ultrasound I have ever had (pregnancy related or otherwise), but the rooms are always set up with an extra large screen monitor for patient viewing. This is true of my RE, OB, and ER visits. Not only that but both times something was wrong with my US the tech told me what they were looking at (cyst, placenta previa with my 1st, SCH with my current) then tells me that they have to have a doctor look at it to be 100%. I even had a trainee tell me they couldn't see all the heart quads with my first, but the trainer tech corrected her and showed her what she was doing wrong. 

Seeing as this has been different offices, in different situations, and different cities I thought this was standard in the US. No they can't diagnose, but they are trained to know what is wrong or not. 

Is this not the same experience for all living in the states? 
  • Options
    @kalawa I understand what @kiki75 is saying though. I am also Canadian and although I love our Healthcare system....I know that it is not free.  We pay A LOT of money for it. I don't know what income bracket you are in (I'm not asking either.... not trying to be rude here) but I pay nearly 20k annually in income tax.  Add to that - nearly every single purchase you make is charged either GST, PST or HST (depending on where you are). Now add on your health insurance plan costs which by comparison to the US are extremely low for sure... but still maybe about 500 a year or so?

I wouldn't have it any other way. And I know our taxes aren't solely covering or health care costs.... and compared to the US we are still WAAAAYYYY cheaper. However, you are incorrect in saying that we aren't paying thousands of dollars in order to have our babies... because we are... we just aren't sent home with the bill, we've paid it in advance. And for those less fortunate who are in low income families, those of us paying more taxes are footing the bill for them - because it's the right thing to do. But the medical costs are still there. 

• Options
    @Cowboycorgi I've seen all of my ultrasounds. With my first I had two, with my second I had two (one at the ER, one Anatomy scan), and I'll probably have two this time. I get one my next appointment and of course the a/s. From what I can recall from my first the tech showed me my DD kicking and asked if I could feel it. I also got to watch my entire a/s with both. The one at the ER with my second was just to check the baby bc I was severely dehydrated and having contractions. They even gave me pictures. The OBs here often offer a 4d scan for an addition charge if there is no medical necessity. 
    DD born August 17, 2010
    DS born October 13, 2014
    Baby #3 due March 2018

• Options
    kalawakalawa member
    @bb3vj3n I understand what you're saying. I did mention we pay it from our taxes, but luckily we don't have to fork it over all at once as an added bill. It's much easier paying from our pay every week, instead of a large lump sum (for myself).  
  • Options
    @minyeta, that lil baby looks like it's just floatin and dancin! Lol! Congrats.
    Me: 39 <3  DP: 49
    TTC since Jan 2017
    BFP #2 7/11/17 | EDD 3/24/18
    BFP #1 5/2/17 | EDD 1/12/18 | MC 5/18/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    @ishmoney it really does look like its dancin' around. Congrats!