November 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms: June 5th

Re: Weekly Randoms: June 5th

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @MrsMaryK2016 actually I am planning to do it again this weekend/week bc my H will be out of town and I can escape the crying a bit better. It just makes no sense bc he put himself to sleep last night after being nearly wide awake but MOTN doesn't work. Thinking of just training for the first wake up and go from there 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How crazy would it be if I went back to school to get my masters? I've always been interested in becoming a librarian and sort of fell into my career by accident. As you all know, I seriously hate my job. I came into work this morning and thought to myself "What if I went back to school and became a librarian?" Haven't even discussed this with my husband yet and feel a little insane for even thinking it...

I think you should do what makes you happy.  If you can swing it, why not?  There have been a lot of changes in my department recently.  My co-workers that I am friends with taken different positions within the company so its been super boring.  My boss took a different position so hers was open.  I would've been a good fit for it but it involves traveling which I'm just not willing to do.  Another position that I would be perfect for also just opened, but again involves traveling.  I like my current position, but I also like money and both of those positions would've been promotions.  Honestly, even if S wasn't here, I wouldn't want to travel.
  • Options
    @RhodaMorgenstern - going back to school to be a librarian has been on my short list of ideas too. I have a friend who did that and I believe it was online if you want me to ask her where she went and if she'd recommend it. 
  • Options
    That would be awesome @lajoliedreamer thank you!
    @Ladybug2821 I think I'm afraid of burning out, especially with a little one at home. I think it can't make me more miserable than my current job does, right?
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Exploring career options is a good idea. Like you I sort of fell into my line of work although I've done it in several industries now and I like where I am thankfully. Definitely worth looking into - see what the job market is like in your area. What kind of librarian are you thinking - like public/community library, school or college? 
  • Options
    I'm really not sure; we have a ton of universities nearby and I think the hours would be more flexible (I currently work roughly 8-5:30 and have to deal with stuff outside of work hours) but I have a friend who is a law librarian and she makes as much as I do. It basically comes down to how much of a paycut am I willing to take? Although she lives in California and works for a NY law firm via teleworking which might also be nice. Ugh, I just know I don't want to be here anymore.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @RhodaMorgenstern is it your company or the work, or both, that makes you not want to be there 
  • Options
    Kind of both. I really hate the company but I've been doing this kind of work for almost 10 years. I really loved my job before we moved but I think doing this kind of work, I'm way more likely to work for the kind of people I work for now than the kind of people I worked for before. Am I making sense?
  • Options
    @RhodaMorgenstern  - I get that. I used to work in HOA management and found that to be an issue in that industry - partially because it is just a hard industry to be in which stresses people out and makes them more negative, but also partially because the people who start those businesses, in my experience, tend to be assholes. 
  • Options
    My cousin was a librarian at Harvard and she enjoyed it, but it didn't pay well at all. That said, I say do what you love @RhodaMorgenstern!

@Ladybug2821 LO is on a two nap schedule and has been for a while now. I just assumed it was age, but who knows.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Our neighbors' house is officially on the market. We knew they were listing soon and one realtor they met with told them based on comps it should be priced like 40K higher than they thought so they jumped on it. Will be interesting to see how it sells. Our neighborhood prices were stagnant where others around were going up so ours is finally catching up.  I just hope I like the new neighbors because they have a super nice in ground pool that we've gotten to use a lot.

Of course I told H that the likelihood of the new neighbor being like sure come use the pool anytime you want, whether or not we are here, is slim so not to get his hopes up - but that is how it has been since he moved in 11 years ago, he, and now us, have been able to go over and use the pool anytime we want. In return H snow blows their driveway in the winter if we get more than a couple inches of snow. 
  • Options
    That is an awesome arrangement, @kvruns! But you're right it probably won't be the case. We just had new neighbors move in who hail from Staten Island, which I feel is important to note because they are so the stereotype. They are loud, invade space and are completely unaware that there might be LOs sleeping next door despite having met them. FX you have awesome pool sharers move in!
  • Options
    Would anyone be down for a group Whole30? We could start a thread and agree to a start date and be each other's vent/support system... I mean, we pretty much already are. Anybody game?
  • Options
    @kvruns is your whole block like that or is it just you and the one neighbor? Either way, that's pretty sweet and it'll suck to lose it!
    @SandNStarsNJ I know what you're saying. I grew up with several people who moved to Staten Island once they got married and I swear, they evolved into the stereotypes once they moved there. I'd try talking to them (calmly, imagine you're dealing with your students, once you raise your voice, they just try to get louder) and if nothing changes and it carries on into the night, sick the town on them.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @RhodaMorgenstern just us and the neighbors. The neighbors are friendly and I know have invited others before but we don't have a close knit street or anything. I think my H and them bonded over really liking to party over the years. We have a neighborhood pool so there are only a few houses with their own pools. Sometimes I prefer to go to the neighborhood one to just zone out myself.
  • Options
    A neighborhood pool is awesome! Hoping you get good pool sharers next door @kvruns
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ I would be down!
  • Options
    I don't know much about Whole30 even though it's been mentioned here often. Can someone give me an overview? 
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer so jealous. I miss real bagels so much.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    amen @kristah2  well mine isn't so much bread, but ya know all the crap food. I'd be miserable on it and seeing as I'm already miserable, I'll keep my love handles and my junk food for now LOL. 
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    edited June 2017
    @SandNStarsNJ Lets do it! Even if we don't all start on the same day, I think a support system for eating better would be nice.

@lajoliedreamer It is basically a paleo diet. You only do this diet for 30 days (some extend it to 60 or 90) and it is to reset your gut bacteria. All you eat is meat, veggies, and limited fruit. No dairy, no grains, no legumes, no added sugar, no alcohol. Once you are done with the 30 days you can choose to do the reintroduction. This is where you reintroduce, say dairy, back for 1 day but only 1 dairy item per meal. The point is to see how things effect you. The reintroduction is 10 days so you can make it through gluten grains, non gluten grains, legumes, and dairy.

For me I learned so much about how food effects me. I slept so much better, I was more alert when I was awake, and added bonus I was able to loose 10-15 lbs each time I did it and keep the weight off because I cleaned up a lot of my eating beyond Whole30. Now I really look at the ingredients in the things I buy.

ETA: All the information to do a Whole30 is on their website for FREE! Also for those of you who think you can't do it, you totally can. It is only 30 days. I've done 2 strict ones and probably about 3-4 mostly strict ones. Then I tend to cook most meals at least 70% Whole30.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    @lajoliedreamer so jealous. I miss real bagels so much.
    You can't buy good ones here so we had to learn to make them out of desperation. 
  • Options
    Thanks, @m6agua for the info! I don't think I could ever commit fully to that, but I'm happy to join @kristah2 as a cheerleader for the rest of you! And maybe I'll do a dumbed down version of it, for one meal a day or something. 
  • Options
    Well I'm stuck in the ER because I slipped and busted my forehead. And all I can think about is how much this is going to cost and how am I going to have enough BM for Monday now.
  • Options
    @ladybug2821, oh my God! Just focus on feeling better! It must hurt terribly and remember that stressing will hurt your supply. Just focus on the drugs they will hopefully give you.
  • Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks @RhodaMorgenstern. I look like something off of Star Trek with this huge bump on my head. Waiting for a CT scan. I don't have time for this. I got back here really quickly but why do the scans/X-rays always take SO long?  I told them I need to get home to feed my infant. Apparently I'm next but who knows what that really means.  Oh and I'm hungryyyy. 
  • Options
    ZoeFerZoeFer member
    I really want to start a good diet but i dont have enough will power and energy at the moment. i tried a loose version for a month before i got pregnant and i felt better, especially from being sugar free. i will follow conversation and try to reduce my sugar intake. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 - Oh no! I hope it's no big thing (just an annoying bump) and you get home to your baby soon. *hugs*
  • Options
    @RhodaMorgenstern - I just sent you a pm with the info from my friend!
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    @Ladybug2821 Oh no! Feel better soon!
  • Options
    @lajoliedreamer lol I like your one meal a day plan! 

@Ladybug2821 there's nothing worse then waiting when you're hungry!! Keep us updated I hope you feel better! 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    oh no @ladybug2821 I hope you are ok 
  • Options
    Glad it's nothing more serious @ladybug2821! Get lots of baby snuggles and rest up this weekend!

For those of you who aren't sure about Whole30, I chose to do it the first time after reading A LOT on it and while I was worried it would be hard, the creators have a great line in the book that got me to look at it differently: "Labor is hard. Drinking your coffee black is not hard." I also had some awesome results. 

This weekend is our ODD's birthday/family party so I can't prep for Whole30 until after that. I'll make thread and introduce all the stuff so if anyone else is interested you can see what it's all about. I just desperately need a kick in the pants to do something for myself and this would be something. 
  • Options
    desoky01desoky01 member
    edited June 2017
    I hope to try a whole30 someday maybe, if/when I can do it safely. I've struggled before with some eating disorder symptoms, so for me an improvement has been making my own food rather than eating out at every meal because food overwhelms me, or not skipping meals when I've eaten like crap on a bad emotional day. I'd love to learn more about it with you all! I definitely have some serious food addictions like sugar, carbs, and caffeine. Also love my bread and cheese. 
  • Options
    I want to do one, but every time I've started my milk supply runs low. The nice thing about whole 30 is you can eat as much as you want of all the good stuff. However, I do not like eating all the healthy things and then I don't eat much. I don't starve myself and I do eat when I get hungry. One day I'll get back to crossfit and whole 30.
  • Options
    Maybe I'll join for a Fake 30. I can't (won't) give up alcohol in the summer :kissing_closed_eyes: