December 2017 Moms

Let's talk NURSERY!

Re: Let's talk NURSERY!

• @mrsorigami is that a lock? As in, lock the drawers bc my kid changes clothes 15 times a day or pulls them all out of the dresser? Neat! I need one for my 8yo.
    yep!  sure is!  haha!

this shelf is pretty cool, the 2 doors open up completely and reveal more shelves on those, which is perfect for cloth diaper storage.  and the other shelves on the inside will have some canvas type bins to hold baby supplies, clothes, etc.  Changing pad fits perfectly on top!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Together since May 19, 2001

Baby #1 was born in May 2013.

Baby #2 was born in December 2017.

• Oh I wanted to add!  Target has a new line of nursery stuff called Cloud Island-looks like some of the stuff is like circo from the last few years but most of what I have seen is new and adorable.  Just wanted to let y'all know!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Together since May 19, 2001

Baby #1 was born in May 2013.

Baby #2 was born in December 2017.

• Loading the player...
  • @ShyTonia- What a precious nursery! I love the paint color and the rocker by the window. Very cozy.
  • This is the nursery nook in our room. I don't have a long term solution to clothing storage, nor do I have space for a chair...will have to work on that.
  • @ShyTonia, what a good idea! Could definitely fit something above the changing pad...will look into that!
  • I also may get rid of that hamper and just throw baby laundry in with mine. That would free up a bit of space as well.

• ** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • We are going for an arrow theme.  With a few different shades of grey with a little pop of aqua. We are team green so I think those colors work well. Haven't started anything yet except for picking out the grey paint. Had to move my boys into one room and their bunk beds are being delivered today. So I will put everything away in their room and then work on the baby's room.  

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • @NME44 yay! That looks perfect!!!
  • @KathrynJ088, ooo, swivel is a good idea Bc when I'm not using it l, it can turn sideways and not block the walk area...and it really doesn't look very big...
  • @KathrynJ088 Lurking from January... I am obsessed with your nook and will be poaching ideas. I also just had to add that the "get your grub on" sign made me laugh/I love it. Thank you for the inspo! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• MJDsquaredMJDsquared member
    edited August 2017
    I'm in super nursery mode over here, guys, so sorry about all my nursery talk. I have a dilemma and DH is absolutely no help. We removed the closet doors in the nursery because they're sliders and I wanted to be able to see everything at once. The width of the closet is about 45.25 or 45.5. We're planning on putting one of those cube organizers in there, but I can't decide between the 3-wide or 2-wide unit.

The 3-wide unit is 43.82 inches wide. So there would be no room for anything next to it in the closet, but there would be six 13-inch cubbies. The 2-wide is 29.84 inches wide (4 13-inch cubbies) and I would push it to one side and then probably put a hamper in the space next to it (or I could leave it to store something else if others think a hamper is unnecessary).

Which do you think would be better? For reference, our laundry is in a closet that's probably 10 paces down the hall from the nursery, so a hamper in the room may not be totally necessary unless it's recommended by STMs.

Thank you for any insight!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @MJDsquared are you not planning to hang anything?  I would go for the 2. I'd rather have a place to put SOMETHING
  • @breezybee We're hanging clothes too. And there will be a dresser, which is where I'm thinking most onesies and pants/leggings will go. I'm not totally sure what we'll end up putting in the cube organizer yet. Could be books, toys, clothes, blankets... So far our only furniture is the glider and the crib. I'm trying to wait until either the shower or completion discount time to buy the dresser/organizer.
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
  • @MJDsquared our hamper is directly next to the changing table, so I can undress DD and drop clothes in without moving away from her. We have one that looks like a monkey, so it looks cute in the room. You will find stuff to fill those cubbies as baby gets older--books, toys, games, shoes. I'd probably go for more cubbies if it is possible to put the hamper elsewhere and/or you don't mind walking stuff down the hall.

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • I feel so inadequate. We have done NOTHING in the nursery yet. Well I did wash all of DD's clothes that will work for this one and hung them in the closet but that's it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • breezybeebreezybee member
    edited August 2017
    @MJDsquared
    Gotcha. I would get the 2 - as a matter of fact, I AM gettig the 2. I'm planning to do baskets on the lower level (I'm turning mine on it's side), and books on the upper. I feel like 3 is just too big, but I don't know how much space you're working with. I'm more of a less is more type of decorator.

edited to add tag 
  • @MJDsquared  We also have a laundry room that's spitting distance from the baby's room. However, there isn't enough space to put a hamper IN the laundry room, and I'm just not a "throw stuff in the washer until you get a big enough load to justify running it" kind of gal.  So I'll probably still have a hamper in the nursery. 
  • @cait5413 There will likely be room for the hamper next to the dresser (which will have a changing pad on top). Or at least somewhere in the room.
    @breezybee That makes sense. I'm thinking it's likely that the cube unit will either be all baskets or maybe half baskets/half books, so it won't really be for decor (unless there's cute stuff I find to put on top of it).
    @elcd458 We have a plastic laundry basket that just sits on top of the dryer where we put "dog towels" (because I wash them separately) and I have to move it back and forth or onto the floor allll the time. Another one could fit on the washer but I'd have to move them around even more and I don't think I could deal! So you're right, I think I'll get a hamper for the room!
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
  • @dkizz82 We haven't done anything either. It's on hold until our master bath remodel finishes. It's making me anxious.
    @cait5413 OMG. Genius. Yes, of course the hamper goes right next to where the dirty clothes will be removed. Brilliance.
    @elcd458 We throw towels in the washer during the week because the first load of the weekend is always house-related things, followed by DH's clothes, then mine.  That's as close to "throw stuff in the washer until..." as I can get.  Intermingling everyone's stuff makes me twitchy -- I NEVER get my socks back from DH's load if they go in together.  

I plan on washing the baby's stuff separately from everyone else's, so we'll have a hamper in the nursery.  We'll be doing a lot of cubbies/bookshelves + fabric baskets (because washable) in the room, but I plan to use the top two drawers of the dresser/changing table for organizing changing supplies and PJs/onesies or whatever turns out to be our most used clothing items. I'm making or buying (fabric?) baskets to sub-divide the bigger drawers into areas for pants, etc, since they're way too big to stay organized with baby clothes either.  But I also like the idea of sub-dividing by size range, so we can just yank the smaller stuff out and replace it with the next size up as he grows.

I can't wait to get started on the room, but I am loathe to do the clearing out of the office-crap that is required first.  It's just SO MUCH CRAP to sort through and I feel whiny about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kyrwyn YES to procrastinating on cleaning out the crap first.  Baby's room currently consists of a desk containing a printer and a mountain of papers that need shredding, and a full size guest bed we've offered to donate to a family in need but haven't moved yet because we're always out of town.  There's a tiny pile of baby items just sitting on the bed for now, LOL
  • @elcd458 Hah! Yes, exactly.  I have a 2 by 2 fire engine red cubby/bookshelf (I think it's an IKEA Kallax, or whatever the older version is) for the nursery that I picked up from work after the last round of downsizing. But it's currently in my living room, blocking the piano, and I have just been filling the cubbies with baby stuff to "keep organized" while I wait for the room.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dkizz82 Don't feel bad! I've just started saving ideas on Pinterest. We wanted to confirm the sexes first. 
  • @kyrwyn - I'm doing the exact same thing.  Cubbies with fabric bins, using the dresser as the changing table, and using cubbies in the drawer to organize by item and size.  That way when it's time, I can just pull and re-adjust.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Lovely nurseries!! This is inspiring me!
    @NME44 Brilliant idea to have the hamper next to the changing table!

• @clovelyone we are at least buying the crib this weekend but the room is still a guest room for the moment. I have my bedding and paint picked out but I don't have time. Haha. My plan is to do it on October on fall break. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Any input on crib mattresses? I'm looking for a dual sided infant/crib mattress and am still undecided if I should spring for an organic mattress or not.

Also, does anyone have blackout curtains they recommend? Thanks!
  • @dkizz82 You are much further along than I am!
  • I just ordered this sweet glider for the nursery. I love it so much!  We went with a natural basket weave color with gold thread throughout. I'll get a light pink throw to go on it for a touch of color. 

• jennasaisquoijennasaisquoi member
    edited August 2017
    We finally got all the stuff out of the "office", and my hubby replaced a few damaged boards in the laminate floor. One minor drywall repair, and painting should happen this coming weekend! Then we can start setting things up. 

I know there's a lot of white, but are having twins, so I wanted to keep things visually relaxing as possible, because there will be a lot going on in the room! Plus the floors are dark wood tone, so I think it will be a nice contrast. 

• @hellothere47- We got a Lullaby Earth mattress for our son, it's still in great shape and he's 2.5 now. Planning to get two more for our girls.
  • @jennasaisquoi thanks for the recommendation- I'll look into that line of mattresses. Also, I'm so in love with your nursery inspiration!