July 2017 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions May 4

Re: Unpopular Opinions May 4

• Options
    Butterscotch chips/topping/hard shell are way better than chocolate in the same forms.  
  • Options
    I had an UO one week that I'm not personally offended when strangers touch my pregnant belly... however, I agree with everyone else on this one.  No strangers touching my baby! And I don't care if I'm rude about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There was one of those touchy-feely stories going around Facebook a couple of weeks ago about a new mother. Supposedly, the baby was fussy, so she went out to get him his bottle, and an employee stepped in and took the baby from her. Long story short, the employee insisted on feeding him, carrying him around the store when mom shopped, and carried him out to the car, despite the mom's protests. The whole thing made me uncomfortable, because it seemed very pushy and bossy and inappropriate. I don't think it was a real story, just one of those made up for shares things, but it irritated me. The icing on the cake, as it were, was that the picture that went along with it was a white employee and a black baby, so all of the comments were about race and 'color-blindness' and stuff. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I read it, but grr.
  • Options
    I dgaf about germs. Literally zero fucks. DD is a cesspool from daycare and I am from the hospital. We're no worse for the wear besides normal winter colds every few weeks and it's always from daycare. 

My child doesn't even know what hand sanitizer is. One of her friends moms carries it everywhere and tries to squirt it on her hands the other day before giving her a snack (and her kid is always sick so it doesn't seem to be helping) and she just looked at me like "wtf is this?"
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    I am the opposite of a germophobe. I don't freak out about public bathrooms (just sit your ass on the toilet. hovering is stupid), I follow the 5 second rule at home, I don't usually wash my hands before I eat, there's probably more examples I just can't think of right now. 
    OMG me too!!! I didn't know there were other people out there! Maybe it's bc we're both teachers?
    Same. (And a teacher too!)
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    lph4248lph4248 member
    Ugh the idea of either of our grandparents putting their fingers in my baby's mouth... oh helllll no. Neither of our parents has good enough hand-washing hygiene to make that okay. I'm really put off by excessive touchy-feely stuff without the parent's permission in general.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    I'm also the opposite of a germophobe. I looove baths, but will stand up and hose off afterwards, sometimes.

And my UO: once DS was about a year old (maybe less?), for the most part, I think it's really sweet and cute when strangers have touched him. I've never had a stranger kiss or try to pick him up. Some rub his head, pinch his cheeks, take a toy and give it back to him. I really like it - it makes the world feel smaller and friendlier to me.

@GlitterFish  My OB told me to babywear when traveling to keep people from touching/contaminating DS when he was little (first flight at 7 weeks). It's a great tactic, and one I used a lot. Oh but actually, a few people pulled the Moby back and stroked his cheek, come to think of it. 

I've never had a stranger try to touch my pregnant belly. Or a family member put their fingers in my baby's mouth or kiss his mouth. I didn't realize how common all these occurrences are, yikes! 
  • Options
    yellow1daisyyellow1daisy member
    edited May 2017
    Yeah I keep thinking I must have one serious case of resting bitch face because nobody tries to touch my belly and no strangers have made any attempts at ever touching my baby. Yeah I've gotten comments 'oh she's so cute and so little' when I took her out as a newborn but never ever actually tried to touch her, or give me any advice for that matter. And also nobody has tried to kiss on the mouth or put fingers in the mouth.  That would really tick me off but I guess all our relatives know better lol.
    I don't kiss my LO on the mouth either. I don't necessarily find anything wrong with it, just not my thing.

I have to admit that I'm fully in the germaphobe camp. I know germs are good and I don't actually use any sanitizing products on my daughter (just regularly wash or wipe down her hands--with water wipes). I can't really help it though. It just bothers me too much. I also will not sit on a toilet seat outside of my own home without covering it with toilet paper first. Even at other people's homes and not necessarily a public restroom. Again, just can't help it there's some ickiness factor there for me that I'm not really sure where it comes from. I use a cart cover at the grocery store before putting my daughter in and I at least wipe down the handle if I'm shopping alone---then sanitize my hands after I leave the store. Just been doing it so long that I don't know any other way. My daughter has had two colds both this past winter season and she's 20 MO now, both short lived. I rarely get sick. One cold for me in the past maybe 3 years. I don't think it's my being so germaphoby though, maybe hereditary who knows. I always say oh I'm not going to be crazy about the germs because I know she needs to be exposed to them to build a healthy immune system but then I just can't not follow my cleaning hands routines, it would bother me too much. 

Just like having shoes on in the home makes my skin crawl. Like you more than likely have fecal matter on the bottom of those shoes and now you're going to walk around your living room and kitchen  :|. I will eat something if I drop it on the floor at home but I would never ever do that if I dropped food in someone's house if they wear shoes inside. 

ETA: I also love baths and find them super relaxing but I always take a shower right after...
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    Hand sanitizer is lame - I know it kinda works but I feel like it's just moving most of the germs around. It's a mental thing. And also I don't mind being germy and gross. 

And i will murder anyone who touches my child ... though I doubt there will be much from strangers because I'm a mean lady and I have no problem telling people to back tf off.
    and for sure there will not be non-family kissing her on the face. There will be no mouth smoochies for anyone...I don't think... unless DH gets pushy. I just get a weird vibe from that. Like, when does it stop? Cause my mom still puckers up and comes in hot w me ... at which point I kiss somewhere else on her face. The only people I kiss on the mouth while sober are my husband and my sister.  This is gonna be a hard thing for one of my SILs because she is Peruvian (my nephew too) and they do kisses on the mouth for everyone - the waitress, the kid they just met on the playground, etc.  they'll probably be offended if I tell them no but whatever. No problem with all family giving kisses on the cheek or head or hands... just don't want them going for the mouth.   Similarly I feel very creeped out at the idea that somebody else might give my child a raspberry on their belly. Personal space is obv very important for me. DH ripped into his mother when she touched my belly wo warning so he's got my back  B)
  • Options
    Hand sanitizer is lame - I know it kinda works but I feel like it's just moving most of the germs around. It's a mental thing. And also I don't mind being germy and gross. 

And i will murder anyone who touches my child ... though I doubt there will be much from strangers because I'm a mean lady and I have no problem telling people to back tf off.
    and for sure there will not be non-family kissing her on the face. There will be no mouth smoochies for anyone...I don't think... unless DH gets pushy. I just get a weird vibe from that. Like, when does it stop? Cause my mom still puckers up and comes in hot w me ... at which point I kiss somewhere else on her face. The only people I kiss on the mouth while sober are my husband and my sister.  This is gonna be a hard thing for one of my SILs because she is Peruvian (my nephew too) and they do kisses on the mouth for everyone - the waitress, the kid they just met on the playground, etc.  they'll probably be offended if I tell them no but whatever. No problem with all family giving kisses on the cheek or head or hands... just don't want them going for the mouth.   Similarly I feel very creeped out at the idea that somebody else might give my child a raspberry on their belly. Personal space is obv very important for me. DH ripped into his mother when she touched my belly wo warning so he's got my back  B)
    just LOL'ed so hard. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    mamadcbmamadcb member
    Only one person has ever stuck her finger in DS's mouth for him to suck and I was appalled. She's a young woman who had much younger siblings so I'm sure she did that with them and it was okay... but it is not okay with someone else's baby! DH came and got the pacifier to give her instead. She left than in for a minute and back in the finger went. What makes the least sense to me was that DS was not unhappy/fussy and didn't even use his pacifier often, so the finger thing was not about soothing him. It was about her wanting him to suck on her (dirty!!!) finger. So gross!!
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I can't believe so many people stick fingers into baby's mouths. That's so weird.

I wouldn't even put my own finger in my own baby's mouth deliberately (unless he wants to chew on my hand, I want to check if everything's okay inside ... well then I have no choice lol) 
    +1 on hand sanitizer being lame. 
  • Options
    I've had kind of an opposite problem - my friends' baby will grab my fingers and shove them in her mouth to suck on. Her parents (my friends) are like "oh it's fine, she likes to do that."  Meanwhile I start strategizing on how and when I can go wash all the drool off my hands, especially if we're eating soon. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ew why would anyone put their fingers in anyone else's mouth ever? 
    DD likes to put her fingers in my mouth but she's a baby and she's fascinated by teeth and giggles when I bite her, and of course we wipe her hands after.

I hate hand sanitizer! Washing your hands is much much more healthy. Hand sanitizer is really when you have no choice, like I was on a plane and the water in the bathroom was out, so sanitized that time. Even though it kills germs, it doesn't kill all of them, and it leaves the dirt and food that is going to attract more germs. Washing your hands removed everything so you're actually clean. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ljd2010ljd2010 member
    edited May 2017
    I think we might be in a period of backlash against hovering? I will say that as a FTM, I didn't really appreciate STMs mocking the modest hovering I did. When my son was first walking (and thus very wobbly and prone to falling), I went to the park with my SIL and her friend, who both have two kids. They kept laughing whenever I would keep close tabs on my son and chalk it up to being a first time mom. Umm I understand that you get a little more hands off with subsequent kids, but sorry not sorry for following my 9 month old around a cement lot.

eta serious comprehension fail! And the sorry not sorry was directed at my sils annoying friend. 
  • Options
    greenbean-2greenbean-2 member
    edited May 2017
    @AdaByron Who knows how it will go, but I can see myself being a hoverer at least while she's tiny.  How dare you judge me! (Haha, I kid, I kid  :)

eta: I just saw @chiquita928's comment on hovering. That use of the word hovering makes a lot more sense in this conversation. Carry on...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a select germaphobe. I will generally sit of a public toilet (it's better for your pelvic floor than squatting) and am used to port-a-potties, since I run a lot of races. I don't obsessively wash my hands, and don't see a point in hand sanitizer. But, I have my limits. My house is clean, I hate bugs, and I'd freak if someone put their hand in my baby's mouth!!!!
  • Options
    I hover. DD is 19 months old and she runs like crazy but falls on her face all the time, and she's bled from her mouth before. I think it's a little dangerous to let her totally free when she's not totally in control of her body and the environment. She jumps on the sofa. I don't want her to slip and hit the coffee table and the floor. So yeah I watch over, and I've caught her mid air before. I let her learn but I am close by watching. Is that bad?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    ljd2010ljd2010 member
    @chiquita928 oh. (covers face in shame) I never hover over a toilet seat. Only my wobbly toddler at the park. 

Didnt mean for my response to be defensive! I just got annoyed at the memory.  
  • Options
    @AdaByron SMH #fail lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    AdaByronAdaByron member
    edited May 2017
    When it comes to parental "hovering" or helicoptering I'm totally guilty. My 3yo is a master escape artist. If I take my eyes off him for a second, he might make a break for it. He does it at daycare too. His teacher got fired when he was around 15 months old because he managed to slip through a gate into the big kid side of the playground while they were outside. 

ETA I don't want anyone to think I'm judging you for supervising your children! LOL
  • Options
    I love taking baths and never rinse off afterwards. Guess I'm the nasty one here  :o

• Options
    acstec1acstec1 member
    @Potterphile I also just laughed that you described your mom as "comes in hot" to kiss you! Hahaha. 

I never had an issue with anyone touching DD when she was a newborn. I think it was because, like @yellow1daisy I have RBF (resting b**** face) and so no one ever tried to touch her. 

@AdaByron I will admit that when DD was born, DH and I put bottles of hand santizer in every room of our house for people to use. I think we were trying to be hooverers! They are all still sitting in the rooms... DD will be 2 in July. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited May 2017
    @Twinkiedoll it really depends on what the grandparents are doing. My husband is like you, he's already getting bossy about that stuff and I have to tell him to get over it, children should experience different things and after all they are the grandparents you know? Kids need good/funny memories too. 

• Options
    Guilty of hovering over my 3yo at the park. The one time I stayed back, a big kid (probably 11yo) came flying down the slide, kicked her in the face and knocked her down pretty hard. Judge me all you want, but I'll continue to helicopter if it means I can save my DD from something stupid like that happening again. People don't teach their older children to look out for the little ones like they used to. 
  • Options
    I love taking baths and never rinse off afterwards. Guess I'm the nasty one here  :o

Yeah. I'm apparently nasty too. 
  • Options

Yeah. I'm apparently nasty too. 
    Guess I'm 'nasty' too!
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options
    2nd + showers are tacky. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    @chiquita928 Maybe it's the lawyer in me too, but grandparents have no custodial or visitation rights under the law.  So any access to the grandkids they do have is at the discretion of the parents. 

And I absolutely plan to exercise that discretion judiciously. 
  • Options
    I hover or put toilet paper down. My co-worker just told me that the seat covers in public restrooms aren't effective at protecting your skin from germs! I just imagine the seats have remnants of bodily fluids on them and are really dirty. 

I'm a selective germ-phone and teacher. I have to wash my hands before eating and preparing foods, and when I'm at work, my hands feel dirty to me. I work with kinders and they are so gross. I make them cough into their chicken wing, and cringe at people who cough into their hands or don't cover their mouths at all. Especially old people. Their coughs always sound so bad! I have an awesome immune system, and rarely get sick. I figure I'm exposed to a ton of germs at my job, and it's okay to play a little defense. 
  • Options
     nktrodden826 said:
    Oh I have another UO, I hate hate hate cakes with fruit fillings. A waste of a perfectly good cake. 
    What?! Those are my favorite! 

A waste of a good cake is ice-cream cake! That's my UO. 
    Pregnancy Ticker