July 2017 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions May 4

Come tell us why you're wrong.

Re: Unpopular Opinions May 4

• Options
    @AdaByron I'm such a vomit-a-phobe I don't let my kid touch anything lol. Literally it's "DH don't let him touch that it could give him a stomach bug" and I rarely let him go out with friends when it's  running rampant in the winter. Learned that lesson the hard way both times. He's out with other kids at least 4x a week when I go work out so he's not a sheltered kid but I always make him wash his hands when we leave! 

My UO I made my husband convert our master bathroom to have one massive shower before we move in because I hate tubs and I hate bathing.. you're just sitting there in your own dirty water. :s  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS has never had a stomach bug (he's almost 3) and has generally been a really healthy kid except the occasional virus with a 24 hour fever and that's it. So I figure my tactics are ok. I have a friend who literally keeps her son home all day every day. She works from home full time 9-5, and keeps him there with her in their apartment. That kid has been sick more than anyone else I know. It doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    My DS has never had a stomach bug (he's almost 3) and has generally been a really healthy kid except the occasional virus with a 24 hour fever and that's it. So I figure my tactics are ok. I have a friend who literally keeps her son home all day every day. She works from home full time 9-5, and keeps him there with her in their apartment. That kid has been sick more than anyone else I know. It doesn't make sense to me.
    I feel like I was sick more often too when I worked from home for 8.5 years... I couldn't fight off anything! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    Yeah DS is rarely sick If I remember correctly he's had 1 cold, croup once, and 2 stomach bugs. I absolutely think you need germs because they're essential for building immune systems but I'm absolutely going to do wash his hands after using the bathroom or going to any indoor playgrounds and stuff like that!
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    I am the opposite of a germophobe. I don't freak out about public bathrooms (just sit your ass on the toilet. hovering is stupid), I follow the 5 second rule at home, I don't usually wash my hands before I eat, there's probably more examples I just can't think of right now. 
    OMG me too!!! I didn't know there were other people out there! Maybe it's bc we're both teachers?
  • Options
    kat0607kat0607 member
    @nktrodden826 growing up we only had a bathtub in our house, and the only shower we had was in the basement and looked like something out of a horror movie. So bathing doesn't bother me, but I understand how some people think it's gross. As kids if we were really grimy and dirty, we'd use the shower, but otherwise just bathed. 

We were hardly ever sick either so maybe that germy water was good for us after all :lol:
  • Options
    LM1007LM1007 member
    My UO: I'm not a fan of kissing my babies/kids on the lips.
    My son is 19m and I've kissed him maybe twice on the lips as an infant cause he was so freaking cute sleeping, and I don't plan to as he gets older. And it won't be much different for this little one.
    I don't care, nor cringe when other people kiss their kids on the lips, it's just not my thing. 
  • Options
    kat0607 said:
    @nktrodden826 growing up we only had a bathtub in our house, and the only shower we had was in the basement and looked like something out of a horror movie. So bathing doesn't bother me, but I understand how some people think it's gross. As kids if we were really grimy and dirty, we'd use the shower, but otherwise just bathed. 

We were hardly ever sick either so maybe that germy water was good for us after all :lol:
    Literally, are we the same person? This is exactly the same as my childhood. 

As an adult, I don't remember the last time I took a bath. Mostly because our master bathroom doesn't have one (just a stand up shower). I want our next house to have a Jacuzzi tub. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    DcwtadaDcwtada member
    I also am the opposite of a germ-a-phobe. I keep a clean house but if they roll around in the dirt I am not going to blink an eye. The only thing that freaks me out is raw chicken. Then I bust out the bleach like no ones business.
  • Options
    Dcwtada said:(
    I also am the opposite of a germ-a-phobe. I keep a clean house but if they roll around in the dirt I am not going to blink an eye. The only thing that freaks me out is raw chicken. Then I bust out the bleach like no ones business.
    Yes, this is one I am very careful about.
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member

My UO I made my husband convert our master bathroom to have one massive shower before we move in because I hate tubs and I hate bathing.. you're just sitting there in your own dirty water. :s  
    Haha you took my UO!! I think bathing is disgusting. We have a seperate tub in our master bathroom that is never used for that same reason. However, when I got a painful rash on my skin mid pregnancy that tub was a life saver. I sat inside the entire day! New appreciation for that tub. I do hate cleaning one and never understood the concept of baths until I had to sit in one myself. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    LM1007 said:
    Im guilty of being a mega baby kisser, and can't wait to kiss my own a gazillion times on his lips. Hubby is a germaphobe and is already telling me I shouldn't for the safety of the baby:p whatevs. 

UO: There should be some kind of ban that other people (outside my parents and my sister) should not be allowed to kiss your child on the face. I can tolerate a peck on the hands and feet but even then...keep your dirty face and hands (in most cases)off of my child. 
  • Options
    ljd2010ljd2010 member
    @GlitterFish I didn't babywear my first very much, but when we went out of town for my husband's grandma's birthday with a bunch of strange extended family, I wore him the entire time! Hard pass on randos, even well-meaning family, getting all over my baby. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    @GlitterFish Not at all, that's my plan too. 
  • Options
    ljd2010 said:
    @GlitterFish I didn't babywear my first very much, but when we went out of town for my husband's grandma's birthday with a bunch of strange extended family, I wore him the entire time! Hard pass on randos, even well-meaning family, getting all over my baby. 
    I think it's good to get him used to it early just in case. My sister's first son didn't like it, so she never pushed it. I wonder how much of that is training vs. the baby's natural preference? My natural preference is very anti-cuddling, soooo....
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    OMG I nearly fainted when my husband's parents saw our son for the first time (he was 3 or 4 months old): they came straight from the airport, entered the house, kissed the baby on the lips and put their fingers in his mouth.  Cardiac.Arrest.  Old people carry all the germs - like are you fvcking kidding me!  I told my husband that unless he wants to see me gorilla tackle his parents, he better figure out a gentle way of letting them know that that's not okay with us and that in our house we wash hands before handling infants.

@GlitterFish we totally did this when we were out with baby in the first few months - my husband is tall and would have our son tucked away high and out of reach.
  • Options
    LM1007 said:
    My son is 19m and I've kissed him maybe twice on the lips as an infant cause he was so freaking cute sleeping, and I don't plan to as he gets older. And it won't be much different for this little one.
    I don't care, nor cringe when other people kiss their kids on the lips, it's just not my thing. 
    Ahhh like @BusyZee said- I'm a major baby kisser (only my kid though) DS now says "gimme sugar" and comes in for a kiss constantly and I love every single second of it!!

@GlitterFish baby wearing is AMAZING. I wore DS everywhere, inside the house and out in public, but you'd be amazed how many people will still come look into the wrap or carrier to see them or touch their head. 
  • Options
    @ginger1228 he had his little fists in his mouth, so they dug them out so they could see his face better and then gave him their finger to suck on instead when he made a fuss.  Ugh!!!!!
  • Options
    SO MANY older people (family members) would put their fingers in my son's mouth for him to suck on!! And it was usually their pinkies, like those are cleaner..?
  • Options
    SO MANY older people (family members) would put their fingers in my son's mouth for him to suck on!! And it was usually their pinkies, like those are cleaner..?
    It's so gross! I don't understand why people think that's something you should do!
  • Options
    This is why I cringe at baby showers "after the baby is born". Please no, don't pass around a newbie squish to germy people. And I'm not much of a germaphobe. 

My UO is that I love fun socks. I think I own one pair of solid black ones, and all the rest are patterned or have pics on them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Options
    @MamaRN13 - nonononono. I've heard these stories but just can't imagine a real life instance where strangers think it's okay to touch my child. I have never in my life felt an urge to touch someone's baby. I'm not really a kid/baby person, but I also like to think I'm not crazy and that's why I choose not to touch random babies. 

My slogan will be "use your words, not your hands!" You don't need to touch my baby to tell me you think it's cute. 
  • Options
    kat0607kat0607 member
    MamaRN13 said:
    Ohhhh my gosh. I never even considered people might offer their fingers for baby to suck on. That's disgusting and just not okay. 
    You think strangers are invasive now with your belly but commenting/touching it? Just wait for a squishy newborn! They try to put their hands all over them, kiss them, offer advise, judge, etc. It's nuts!
    A friend of mine has had strangers in the grocery store ask to "see" the baby and then reach out to hold her. UHHH no thanks, lady. I would never in a million years think a stranger would let me hold their baby....why do people think that this is just an acceptable thing to do?
  • Options
    kat0607 said:
    A friend of mine has had strangers in the grocery store ask to "see" the baby and then reach out to hold her. UHHH no thanks, lady. I would never in a million years think a stranger would let me hold their baby....why do people think that this is just an acceptable thing to do?
    :flushed:
  • Options
    This is why I cringe at baby showers "after the baby is born". Please no, don't pass around a newbie squish to germy people. And I'm not much of a germaphobe. 
    Wait is this a thing??? I've never heard of a baby shower after you have the baby! 
  • Options

kat0607 said:
    MamaRN13 said:
    Ohhhh my gosh. I never even considered people might offer their fingers for baby to suck on. That's disgusting and just not okay. 
    You think strangers are invasive now with your belly but commenting/touching it? Just wait for a squishy newborn! They try to put their hands all over them, kiss them, offer advise, judge, etc. It's nuts!
    Oh absolutely random strangers have tried to pick my son up. ESPECIALLY if he's having a tantrum they'll say ohhh come here let me try. 
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm going to have to try to figure out how to nicely tell family about my no kissing baby on the mouth rule. My husband carries the cold sore virus because an infected great aunt kissed him on the mouth when he was a baby. I've only seen him have one cold sore in the 10 years I've known him and haven't been exposed myself (thank goodness). But the thought of my innocent little baby having to suffer horrifies me. 

It's bad enough that I have to go without certain bedroom activities now that I'm in the 3rd trimester...
  • Options
    greenbean-2greenbean-2 member
    edited May 2017
    Wow I would flip out if a stranger tried to touch or pick up my kid. Who are these people and how do they think that's ok???
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    @lanie1000 I just asked my husband if he has ever had a cold sore ... he has a few times ! Noooo..... !!!! 
  • Options
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    Wow I would flip out if a stranger tried to touch or pick up my kid. Who are these people and how do they think that's ok???
    I saw this server going absolutely cray on a couples baby. She was holding his face, kissing his hands, picking him up etc.  The parents even kept switching the child into each other's laps so she would get the hint but Nope! I doubt I'd be able to be that nice about it.
  • Options
    Wait is this a thing??? I've never heard of a baby shower after you have the baby! 
    I'm waiting until after the baby for mine. I'd rather have a celebration for the baby, rather than have endless conversations about something I know nothing about (having a newborn and birth) or my medical condition (pregnancy).
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    BusyZee said:
    I saw this server going absolutely cray on a couples baby. She was holding his face, kissing his hands, picking him up etc.  The parents even kept switching the child into each other's laps so she would get the hint but Nope! I doubt I'd be able to be that nice about it.
    Nope nope nope. There's a mama bear in me, and she would come out for sure if that ever happened. 
    BabyFruit Ticker