October 2017 Moms

The Official Name Thread

Re: The Official Name Thread

• @kkerner87 I think Leo is a great name and your dad is being a jerk. If you love it, go with it!
  • Loading the player...
  • @kkerner87 it's a great name and try not to let them get to you. Like you said, kids have a way of growing into their names and you can't imagine them ever being anything else.

I suggested Leo as a middle name and DH did go "like DiCaprio?" But I'm going to take that as a compliment lol

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • So we are having a boy this time! Yay! But I am so lost for names lol. DH is no help! I am more into names with a more modern or unique twists but nothing crazy. Like with our daughter DH liked the name Olivia but I thought Alivia was prettier. DH is very traditional and likes common names such as Ashley, Justin, Caitlin, and Caroline. Any boy name suggestions that you guys think of that would combine common with a unique twist? 
  • Leo James is great. I was really pushing for Leo if this baby was a boy but DH wasn't sold (and we are having a girl so it's now a moot point).
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @kkerner87 I think Leo is adorable but not in a "this is only going to sound cute while he's a baby" kind of way.

Go with what you and DH like. Everyone (my parents especially - although they were nice about it) hated our name for DD but now that she's here, they all agree that the name suits her perfectly.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is it bad I picture Leo Wyatt from Charmed or think of Leonardo DiCaprio. Lol. I made a joke to DH and said his middle name can be DiCaprio. Lol. But yeah, i thought it sounded so cute on a little boy and then could grow into a strong, handsome name as an adult. Thats all I wanted out of a name and then listening to family makes me doubt that. But thanks for the reassurance, ladies. You hear such awful baby names all the time, you don't want to be that parent that names their kid something silly!
  • @friendlywolf0913 what about

Henry
    Noah
    Alexander
    Logan
    Jackson
    Benjamin

Or maybe you can do a middle name that's a little bit more unique?
  • @kkerner87 Love the name Leo! There's a spunky little boy in our neighborhood with that name and it fits him perfectly. It also reminds me of Leo McGarry from The West Wing — one of the all-time greatest TV characters in my opinion :)

@friendlywolf0913 I never would have thought of this on my own, but I've seen other people suggest Sebastian with Bash as a nickname, which is adorable. 
  • edited June 2017
    We had decided on ... for our boy ... but DH may have changed his mind.  We were at a t-ball game on Saturday and there was a little boy on the other team named Tyson.  DH suddenly wanted a son named Tyson.  So, what are your thoughts?
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • ariz17ariz17 member
    I love Leo and Henry.. I wish we didn't name our cat Henry  :| Although BF thinks hes going to end up with all girls...
  • @aprilsarahjune I kinda like Elias Scott better...

for some reason Tyson Scott sounds backwards, like it supposed to be Scott Tyson? Is there a famous Scott Tyson?
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like Elias better as well. 
  • ariz17ariz17 member
    @melarowan I think Everett James is very cute! And will be good in adulthood too. 
  • @melarowan Super cute! I especially love the nickname Rhett; it's just so charming :) Hope your husband thinks so too!

I'm conflicted on a middle name for this little girl. I've always loved my middle name (René) and would love to use it, but my hangup is that the first name we chose also sounds a lot like my first name.

Without posting my actual name here for privacy reasons, it would basically be the equivalent of my name being Laura and naming our daughter Cara.

Normally I'd say those names are different enough, but is it too much to have similar-sounding first names AND the same middle name? Or am I totally overthinking this (DH's point of view haha)? Help me out, ladies!
  • ninak-3ninak-3 member
    edited June 2017
    @lemonlyman we have a similar dilemma in that we lovemaking Madelaine nn Maddie and my husbands name and nn is well, very similar! MY MIL is against MAdelaine for that reason but at the end of the day we are both like...whatevs. Not going to reject a name we both love because of potential for minimal confusion, plus I imagine It will be pretty clear when I am talking about baby v DH (unless he is diapers for some reason as well hehe)
  • Ps had to edit that last comment three times as into kept only half posting
  • @beezeemarie That is a very good point! I guess I've mainly been worried about people thinking it's weird or conceited to give my daughter a name so close to my own — particularly my in-laws since they know I picked our son's name :#

But like you said, it's not like people would be referring to either of us by our full names frequently, and to @ninak-3's point, it would be silly to discard a name we love because of what others might think. :) Thank you both!
  • ariz17ariz17 member
    @ninak-3 I was wondering about that comment lol...
  • roo_baby said:
    @lemonlyman Men name their sons after them all the time, so even if you gave her the exact same name as you it's not that weird. I really like the idea of her sharing part of your name. 
    I agree with this. My FIL, BIL, and nephew all have the same first name. I say you should go for it.
  • Is it weird to give this baby all names that end in the same letter? The only name we both like is Paxton. I wanted the middle name after my dad and his name is Darrin Barney.  His mn is my grandma's maiden name but I can't use it because of the  whole big purple dinosaur thing. So his name would be:
    Paxton Darrin Smuin
    Is that too much? Does it work?  Should we scrap it and start over? Why is naming a human so hard? It wasn't a big deal when my daughter's named their male beta fish Gloria Chocolate Smuin...humans should be easier to name☺
  • @lemonlyman We don't have a first name picked out, but middle name will be the same as mine - Ann. No shame in your game! 
  • Our little guy is going to be Casimer (Casey) after my grandpa!  It's just about the only boy name I've ever had.
    I had a good list if girls' names, but I quite likely would have used Casey anyway, for a first or middle if it was a girl.  
  • @jasmuin I think that flows really nicely! but I am a sucker for alliteration. The names we currently like all have the same letter for FN and MN ie Madeleine May, Madeleine Margaret and Aurora Ann
  • mandmplus1mandmplus1 member
    edited June 2017
    So it's a girl this time. I'm torn on names. thoughts on June vs. Vivian? Pros and cons? DS has a short and easily pronounced and spelled first name and we've definitely narrowed baby girls name down to one of these two but can't decide.

edit because grammar is hard

• Siggy Warning: Loss, Living Child, Pregnancy mentioned
    • TTC Since August 2009
    • IUI #1, D/C December 2012
    • IUI #2, Natural MC March 2013
    • IUI #3 BFN
    • IUI #4 BFP Due April 2014
    • Rainbow Baby DS1 born April 2014 via emergency C-Section
    • IUI #5 February 1, 2017.....BFP due 10/25/17 with TWINS! --9w5d vanishing twin. 
    • Diagnosis: PCOS, Factor V Leiden Syndrome

• @mandmplus1 I love Vivian! I think June would make a nice MN for it as well!
  • I agree with @kkerner87
  • We are still really struggling with a name.  We have a Jason Roy, Elizabeth Ann, and Katherine Virginia and we are having another girl.  I had this long list of names that would be nice and DH is all nope, nope, nope!  GRRR!  His three suggestions were Allison, Abigail and Sarah, which are all very nice names, but have issues.  Allison is kind of a slant rhyme with our last name, like how Jack Trap would sound.  I really like Abigail, but my brother's 3 year old is named Abigail.  We live in Texas, they live in Virginia and we probably get together about once a year.  Sarah I'm okay with, but our last name starts with S, and DH's cousin is named that.  We see her pretty frequently right now, but the husband is in the military and they will probably be moving in another year.  Enough of that novel, any suggestions? or ideas?

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We are still really struggling with a name.  We have a Jason Roy, Elizabeth Ann, and Katherine Virginia and we are having another girl.  I had this long list of names that would be nice and DH is all nope, nope, nope!  GRRR!  His three suggestions were Allison, Abigail and Sarah, which are all very nice names, but have issues.  Allison is kind of a slant rhyme with our last name, like how Jack Trap would sound.  I really like Abigail, but my brother's 3 year old is named Abigail.  We live in Texas, they live in Virginia and we probably get together about once a year.  Sarah I'm okay with, but our last name starts with S, and DH's cousin is named that.  We see her pretty frequently right now, but the husband is in the military and they will probably be moving in another year.  Enough of that novel, any suggestions? or ideas?
    DD really wants to name this baby Evie, which is my niece's name. If my 2nd cousin a few states named their kid Evie it would be fine. But my brother & his family will always be a close part of our lives even if they are not actually physically close to us. So yeah, I'd stay away from Abigail.

Random, but my niece is named Evelyn (Evie) Grace and I think it's a super sweet name...somewhat traditional, too, which seems to be the kind of thing you're leaning towards?
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Beverly Ruth (a combo of both our grandmothers names)!
  • We are undecided. A lot of our favorites are really popular right now. 
    Girl
    I like: Ava, Emma,Ellie
    DH likes: Emmarie (Emmie) or Mckinley 

Boy we both like Logan or Benton. 

Thoughts?

• I love Ava and Emma. Emma was our girl pick if this LO was a girl. I know it is super popular, but that wasn't going to stop me because i have loved the name since the Spice Girls haha. So i say if you love a name, don't let the popularity of it stop you unless it is something that really bothers you!
    Also, out of your boy picks, I like Logan!