October 2017 Moms

The Official Name Thread

Re: The Official Name Thread

• beezeeebeezeee member
    Ugh I just realized that now that we know we're having another girl, we have to revisit name discussions. We were getting so heated about it because we can't agree, so we had put the girl name discussion on hold as moot until we knew. DH is so stubborn and picky.
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @beezeemarie What are your options? :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • beezeeebeezeee member
    @lemonlyman ugh. Haha. Well we've pretty much narrowed down the list to Colette and Cecilia. I love them both, but Cecilia is a mouthful with our last name (4 syllable Polish name). DH had originally agreed to Colette, but now all of a sudden hates it. But I'm still pushing it. Totally open to new suggestions! DD is Eloise (nn: Elle and Ellie), so it needs to go with her name. My problem is all the names I like have the same sounds, so have similar nns. I also don't want something too popular.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @beezeemarie what does your last name begin with? Just initial? 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• Aww I love Cecilia nn Cece but I can see how it would be a mouthful with 4 syllables. 
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lemonlymanlemonlyman member
    edited May 2017
    @beezeemarie Oh that's right; I remember this now! Honestly LOVE both of those choices — they're so sophisticated and romantic (and are both super cute with Eloise)!

We still don't know what we're having, but my husband suggested Annabelle for a girl because of family significance. I'm not wild about it, but I do love the nickname Annie, so it's still in the running. Any chance your DH would come around on Colette for the nickname Coco or something (or Cece for Cecelia)? 
  • beezeeebeezeee member
    edited May 2017
    @lemonlyman haha yea I keep harassing you guys with my problem because we're at a standstill. I was hoping he'd come around to Colette, but it seems like his opinion of it is just getting worse. He doesn't like the nn coco (which is what DD has already been calling her, lol). And yes, we love the nn cece for Cecilia.

@canonmom413 last name begins with P.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @beezeemarie have you tried the social security list game?
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • @beezeemarie In the same boat. One of the only reasons I was slightly hoping for a boy is because we had already settled on Abram Robert as a boy name.

For a girl, we've got nothing.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • beezeeebeezeee member
    @jessafishy yup, our boy name was set too, leftover from when we had DD.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • beezeeebeezeee member
    @carries2018 not yet, but we will need to. DH just thinks of the most boring and plain names, and he is so quick to veto anything I suggest.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @kkerner87 LOVE all your current choices! Bash as a nickname for Sebastian is so cute. Colton is our frontrunner if this baby's a boy right now, so I'm partial to that name as well :)

@natleilynn Ryder is also super sweet—bummer that you can't use it with your last name! I'm not usually one to recommend more "out there" names, but there was a kid on Dancing with the Stars a few seasons ago named Riker/Ryker and I actually liked that name. So maybe something to consider if you love Ryder but can't use it!
  • @natleilynn Hahaha I didn't even think of that!! You could mark all his milestones with the trademark "dun dun" :D 
  • @lemonlyman that could make for some pretty awesome birthday parties...! haha
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH is such a perv. He said when he hears the name Ryder James it sounds like Ride her, James lol! Another mom friend said it reminds her of Paw Patrol lol. I love the name though!!
  • @tsa208 DD's name is Mila, which is Slavic. I think it is a Ukrainian name. DH is of Ukrainian decent so ot sounds really pretty with our last name! 
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    laeberge3 said:
    Now that we know this LO is a boy, we've started some name negotiations.  H's favorite is Noel (pronounced like it rhymes with Joel).  While I really like the name, I'm worried about everyone mispronouncing it like the Christmas No-ell and everyone assuming he is female (that's really less of my concern).  It seems that No-ull/Noll is a common pronunciation outside of the U.S. and very recognizable as a male name, but here people are going to first go with No-ell as the pronunciation.  Am I just overthinking this?  I might pitch Nolan to him with Noel/Nole as a nickname...

My mom's longtime SO is named Noel, pronounced "No-ull" and yes, everyone initially calls him No-elle, like the carol. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @laeberge3 i read it how you want to pronounce it, but i can see it becoming issue. that being said people mess up my daughter's name Leah. so people are stupid haha. if you love it i wouldnt worry, it isnt way out there. but if you feel better i think Nolan is a good option!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @carries2018 Thanks - yes, you're right. People mess up my name (Lauren) and it's not exactly uncommon. 

@tsa208 Does your mom's SO hate correcting everyone or it's just par for the course? :)
    Me: 35     DH: 37
    BFP: 1.6.16 | MC: 2.17.16
    BFP: 10.3.16 | CP: 10.11.16
    BFP: 12.14.16 | CP: 12.14.16
    BFP:  1.23.17 | EDD 10.6.17 -- DS born 10.7.17 <3
    BFP:  9.9.18 | EDD 5.23.19 -- DD born 5.24.19 <3
    BFP: 9.1.21 | MC 10.1.21
    BFP: 11.11.21 | EDD 7.24.22 

• @laeberge3 I've never heard it pronounced that way.  I really like it for a boy.  But like all names that have multiple pronunciations with the same spelling, it will be something he corrects his entire life.  I have a name that is commonly mispronounced, I'm always correcting people and spelling it out.  I hated it as a kid but now I love the uniqueness of it.  If you like it, go for it!

• @laeberge3 @tsa208 we're having a girl and Noelle is on my short list, either for a first or middle name. There is precedent for Noel (rhyming with Joel) as a male name too, like Noel Coward.
  • edited May 2017
    @laeberge3  After reading your first sentence and a half, I thought you were naming your DS Noel (as in Christmas) and was a bit confused.  Noel (with two dots above the e) directly means Christmas in French, and it is used in place of the word Christmas on a bunch of holiday signs across the US.   I have a slight preference toward using Nolan as the first name and just giving him a nn, just because of the actual word spelling of Noel.  That being said, if you go with Noel, his peers will quickly learn the correct way to pronounce it and all will be well.

*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • jasmuinjasmuin member
     Love the name Nolan!  That's my brothers name
  • beezeeebeezeee member
    @soprano19 I love Noelle for a girl! We're considering it for this LO, but I think it's too close to DD, Eloise (because I often call her Elle).
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    @kkerner87 I prefer Mila even over Mika (his mom is Ukranian) but he doesn't like it. So Mika it is. But Mila is such a cute name.

@laeberge3 I think it is just par for the course these days for him. He is so NOT a Noelle though - he's pretty country - so it's funny to hear him called that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm familiar with the pronunciation of Noel because of PLL and Felicity, but I prefer Nolan.

When @natleilynn said Ryder doesn't go with her ln my mind immediately went to the possibilities... Dye, Hard, Goode...
  • June 

Pregnancy Ticker

• roo_babyroo_baby member
    edited May 2017
    @MamaStreeter would you use Hattie as a given name or as a nn for Harriet or Henrietta?

ETA because my brain didn't process your whole post and I suggested finding a meaningful name for the middle. Doh!

I like June best, too. But I would honor whoever is most important - the sound of the middle name isn't important unless you plan to use the names together (which you totally could with Hattie June!).
  • beezeeebeezeee member
    @mamastreeter, I love Clara and keep bringing it up because it has significance in DH's family, but he keeps turning it down. 

I love june for a middle name! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • roo_baby said:
    I'm familiar with the pronunciation of Noel because of PLL and Felicity, but I prefer Nolan.

When @natleilynn said Ryder doesn't go with her ln my mind immediately went to the possibilities... Dye, Hard, Goode...
    I mean, you're kind of on the right path, TBH. haha

But yeah, that's the type of last name we have and would give a high school boy way too much ammo to be a total jerk face. Soooooo alas. I give up the name Ryder.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MamaStreeter I love Hattie! I always liked it when PArenthood was on! I considered it if we were having a girl. 
  • ariz17ariz17 member
    One of my friend's name is Jennifer June. I've always liked it.

+1 one on the Noel PLL reference! That's what I kept thinking of with this post. 

@kkerner87 I love Bash that is so cute!