August 2017 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

Re: Breastfeeding / Breast pumps/ FF

• Options
    I know I am in the minority but I hated the Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple cream. There was something about the smell that did not agree with me.  I ended up using Lansinoh because it was easy to find and it worked.  This time I have a few samples of different types to see what works best for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MetsGirl18 I got the Sarah Wells Lizzy bag. I got it on sale from Aeroflow!  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bumpybump  Between lack of sleep and all the hormones, the smell was more then I could deal with.  It does make me feel better that someone else did not like the smell and it wasn't all in my head.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MetsGirl18 I bought a white elm bag from Amazon. It's not meant to be a pump bag but rather a small diaper bag. I couldn't justify the price of a one trick pony bag. 
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    @MetsGirl18 I'm going to be using a JuJube backpack. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the pump bag suggestions, everyone!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Anyone struggle/ fail at bf the first baby, but succeed on the second?  Had a rough time due to low supply and only made it through 6 months of pumping w/ supplementing.  Right now I have approval for 4 month of a Hospital grade pump through insurance to help with volume/ supply issues.  We will also have e formula on hand just in case, but getting nervous about this.  Any tips to set myself up for succes
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Lauradi1010 Not really the same, but just wanted to let you know that BFing was much easier for me the second time around and my supply was even better.  I had a few issues the first time, but was able to BF.  My supply struggles happened later on after I got my period back, but I didn't have too much of a supply issue with #2.  I actually had a bit of an oversupply at the beginning.  SIL had a lot of issues BFing her first and had to stop for her own health.  She wasn't sure if she could even BF again, but was successful BFing her second.

The best advice I have about improving your supply is to nurse the baby as often as possible, don't skip nursing/pumping if you give a bottle, make sure you're eating and drinking enough and look into teas/food/medication if necessary to boost your supply.  Good luck!
  • Options
    EmyB30EmyB30 member
    Did anyone use coconut oil for their cracked nipples instead of Lanoish or anything else? If you did, do you feel like it was effective and worked?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dma0389dma0389 member
    edited July 2017
    @EmyB30 yes, with my DS I used coconut oil for my nipples instead of lanoish. I also would out the coconut oil in the breast shield when pumping too, it was very helpful and effective. I think I used coconut oil for many things (even craddle cap per my grandma's recommendation). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    EmyB30EmyB30 member
    @dma0389 I just read an article on my pinterest that had all these great things that coconut oil can do. I may try that before spending more $ on creams, especially if my boobs don't work.

Also I know many of us won't have this answer, but maybe someone will know someone who has done this. I'm getting a tubal (I'm having a repeat c-section) will this effect my milk supply at all? I wasn't able to BF after my last c-section (fairly certain I was just being lazy and didn't try hard enough) but I really want to this time. I didn't know if that would have any effect on it or not.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    I had read somewhere about making a breastfeeding kit - either having 2 for the most common places you breastfeed (one per floor or what-not) or just carrying it around with you. Any STMs do this? I have two empty wooden crates from the Honest Company gift boxes that I thought would be perfect for this (and I don't know where to store them or whether to throw them out) but wanted to get opinions on if this is over the top or actually useful. One blogger who recommended it included: Nose Frida + Little Remedies Nose Drops, Vitamin D Drops, Gas Drops, Nail Clipper (or file), Baby Lotion, Baby Body Wipes, Nipple Cream, Nursing Pads, Nipple Shield, Burp Cloths, Hair Brush for Cradle Cap, Lip Balm, Hair Tie, Pain Meds, Snack, and to have a water bottle. Some of these things I probably wouldn't purchase until/unless I need them after the baby but I was thinking about just throwing this together in the next couple of weeks so that it's ready. Rein me in if I'm being ridiculous.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @kvh22 My house has two floors, so I am planning on making a few different kits for each floor.  I plan on having a breastfeeding/feeding kit, diapering kit, and mommy bathroom kit.  I dont have all the details of what I will put in them (im a FTM and not 100% sure what I will need), but thats the plan.  Pinterest has a ton of different ideas of things you could use though. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @kvh22,  that seems like an awful lot to have in a kit in my opinion. With my son my essentials were water, snacks, nipple shield (lucky me), burp clothes/boogie wipes, and my phone. The rest would probably just get in the way IMO. I do agree if you have multiple floors they can be helpful for sure!  
  • Options
    Anyone use this on the none nursing boob?  Did you like it?  Was it worth the money?
    Me: 34 (Divorced 8-22-16)
    Last Depo: 2-19-13  Stopped BCP completely: 10-13-13
    TTC Starting 4-26-14 Stopped TTC 2-1-16
    Ultrasound found minor PCOS 9-5-15
    BFP with boyfriend 12-7-16 

• Options
    tova24tova24 member
    @larsonbussman I purchased that! I'm excited to see how it pans out. 
  • Options
    My chiro was telling me about it. Said really only need one so still deciding if I want to get it. Only down fall is it's fore milk so needs to be added to pumped at some point
    Me: 34 (Divorced 8-22-16)
    Last Depo: 2-19-13  Stopped BCP completely: 10-13-13
    TTC Starting 4-26-14 Stopped TTC 2-1-16
    Ultrasound found minor PCOS 9-5-15
    BFP with boyfriend 12-7-16 

• Options
    @larsonbussman Several moms from my last BMB swore by those. I almost never leaked (didn't even need to wear nursing pads), so I never tried them personally. 
  • Options
    @larsonbussman I leaked like a garden hose but never used those. Besides having a difficult time with pain during feeding (to where I couldn't imagine adding anything else to the process), I struggled with oversupply and mainly focused on getting that under control. I have heard of women who use them because theyre worried about undersupply. Not sure if it was super helpful for them or not. Just about all the milk I pumped wound up in the trash since DD refused bottles after 3 months :/
  • Options
    AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @larsonbussman I had one handed down to me. I found it helpful bet it's way overpriced in my opinion. I bet there is something simpler out there that can do the same without the $30 price tag.  Maybe I'm just cheap. 
  • Options
    Is this the same general thing that @larsonbussman posted about? Im in a few other FB groups, and many of the moms were talking about this or something similar.  Is it necessary?

IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • Options
    As we get close, I am looking at sanitizing my pump parts and some bottles and it seems like there are lots of different opinions/ etc out there. anyone have a preferred way to sanitize the pump parts (I have a Spectra S2) and Dr. Browns bottles. I was debating dishwasher for bottles and was told not to for the first round.

Also, pump parts cleaning routine at end of day? anyone have a fav-fast method?
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 for first time I got a big pot and put parts in boiling water. After that, hand wash and microwave steamer. I didn't use the dishwasher because I didn't want bits of food sticking to stuff and we have lots of mineral build up in our water.
  • Options
    @littlebug2010 I got one similar to that on Amazon for $9 on prime day. Not sure how useful it'll be, but for how cheap it was, I won't be mad if it doesn't work out.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @caity024 good to know!  I know that left boob has been leaky already and didnt know if getting something to catch while feeding was important or not.
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    tova24tova24 member
    @smallbutmighty77 I bought this little thing. I have already sterilized my pump parts. Another thing I bought was breast pump wipe. 
  • Options
    I never sterilized. Just hot soapy water soak, then washed by hand and air dried. My baby survived. 
  • Options
    I never sterilized. Just hot soapy water soak, then washed by hand and air dried. My baby survived. 
    Same
  • Options
    I was crazy and boiled in water after each use AFTER washing with hot soapy water. I didn't pump much and she didn't take many bottles before refusing them altogether at 3 months old. Another mom commented on my excessive boiling habit which I didn't realize was unnecessary until she told me so. I've considered skipping bottles all together this time around but I'm sure I'll end up making some here and there. This time I guess I will skip the constant boiling lol. It was slightly addictive to me and obviously I wasn't washing too many for it to really waste too much time
  • Options
    I sterilized before the first use (boiling most of the things and using the Medela sterilizing bags for others) and then just washed bottles and pump parts in hot soapy water.
  • Options
    I boiled everything before the first use and then about once every couple of weeks after, hand washing every night. Between uses, I'd throw it all in a ziplock bag and store in the fridge until my next pumping session. 
  • Options
    @taylormarie923 This past week I was washing parts after every pumping session (every 2-3 hours).. the middle of the night washing was so rough. Our pedi said to stick the parts in a ziplock for night pumping and just wash in the AM. Did that for the first time last night and saved so much time! Glad to hear it's a normal thing. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I did exactly what @taylormarie923 did. I had a bottle sterilizer,  but found it to be easier to just boil the parts. Personal preference.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Has anyone used nipple shells? A friend who had a baby a month after me said an NP recommended them and they really helped draw out her nipples before baby was born.  If I go braless or wear a less constructive bra my nipples don't seem inverted, but I'm just thinking that if my milk does come in and I'm wearing a bra and nursing pad it might push them in.  I had to use a nipple shield with DS when I tried to nurse DS and I would like to avoid them this time. 
  • Options
    ***TW-infant death mentioned***

New guidelines from the CDC on cleaning pump parts. https://www.scarymommy.com/cdc-breast-pump-cleaning-guidelines/?utm_source=FB

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @bumpybump oof. Parenting is so, so hard. 
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    @bumpybump very unrealistic for me to follow through at the office  :(:(
  • Options
    @lewliv I told DH that would have doubled my pump "break" at work.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker