May 2017 Moms
Options

Randoms and Questions 2.20 - 2.24

Re: Randoms and Questions 2.20 - 2.24

• Options
    Anyone else RH-negative? My Rhogam shot was easy peasy my 1st trimester, but the one I got yesterday at 30 weeks is killing me. I pretty much want to cut off my arm today. 
  • Options
    @Rebecca517 I'm RH neg. I have my next one in a week, but here it's given on the behind. I remember being sore and stiff for a day afterwards last time, so I'm not looking forward to that again. Sorry your arm is hurting so much!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hp_momma said:
    @hp_momma luckily there is a special version for medical that is only 19 days! I don't think husband is going to do it though, we are still debating it. 
    19 days isn't bad! But does seem somewhat pointless. DHs is only 9weeks if he stays in his current job. 
    9 weeks! DH CCC was 6 months. So jealous 
  • Options
    @Rebecca517 It's only offered as a shot to the tush at my office because it's an intense injection. Did your doctor give you an option?
  • Options
    Ok hold up. If you guys were both in the CCC boat then maybe you can help me with something @bacorrea @hp_momma apparently I am supposed to get him a promotion present? I have no idea where to start. Is that just like a general gift or is there a type of thing I am supposed to get? Do I have to give to him at the ceremony? 

We suck soooo hard at hooah hooah stuff. Finding a cute dress for 32w is enough of a problem!

Oh and husband kindly stalked my doc's nurses and asked if they could give me a call... PASS!!! 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    bacorrea said:
    hp_momma said:
    @hp_momma luckily there is a special version for medical that is only 19 days! I don't think husband is going to do it though, we are still debating it. 
    19 days isn't bad! But does seem somewhat pointless. DHs is only 9weeks if he stays in his current job. 
    9 weeks! DH CCC was 6 months. So jealous 
    Everyone always can't believe how short it is. He's somewhat part of medical too and it seems like all of medical has generally shorter trainings. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @PghMom412 No, they didn't. Good to know for next time, I guess.
  • Options
    Ok hold up. If you guys were both in the CCC boat then maybe you can help me with something @bacorrea @hp_momma apparently I am supposed to get him a promotion present? I have no idea where to start. Is that just like a general gift or is there a type of thing I am supposed to get? Do I have to give to him at the ceremony? 

We suck soooo hard at hooah hooah stuff. Finding a cute dress for 32w is enough of a problem!

Oh and husband kindly stalked my doc's nurses and asked if they could give me a call... PASS!!! 
    Ughhh I keep putting this off too as we have another year before I officially need it. But yes, from what I understand a gift is usually given. And usually you provide a lunch/apps type of ceremony for after the actual promotion for those who attend... not to add more stress to you! I don't think it's required but I think it's one of those usually expected things.
    I don't think you have to give him the gift at the ceremony. I think you can just get a general gift. My plan is to find something that I could engrave with his new rank. I had a nice watch engraved when he commissioned. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    bacorreabacorrea member
    edited February 2017

Haha if I was supposed to nobody informed me. I got him a big cake when he pinned captain. I wasn't even at his CCC graduation sooooooo

Also I am dreading spending all the $$ for when he takes command. It's the incoming commanders job to provide the food. 

Edit it to add after reading @hp_momma post. I ordered a cake to take to when he pinned captain and it was shared with whoever was at BN that day. We ended up with a lot of leftover cake. We did the same thing when he made 1LT. In ADA though it's like wayyyy chill. Some people go all out for the pinning ceremonies. Yo, I have bills to pay no way! 

I have never ever gotten my husband a gift for any promotion. I don't think I even got him anything when he graduated basic or OCS. It hasn't even occurred to me, so whoops.
  • Options
    bacorrea said:

Haha if I was supposed to nobody informed me. I got him a big cake when he pinned captain. I wasn't even at his CCC graduation sooooooo

Also I am dreading spending all the $$ for when he takes command. It's the incoming commanders job to provide the food. 

Edit it to add after reading @hp_momma post. I ordered a cake to take to when he pinned captain and it was shared with whoever was at BN that day. We ended up with a lot of leftover cake. We did the same thing when he made 1LT. In ADA though it's like wayyyy chill. Some people go all out for the pinning ceremonies. Yo, I have bills to pay no way! 

I have never ever gotten my husband a gift for any promotion. I don't think I even got him anything when he graduated basic or OCS. It hasn't even occurred to me, so whoops.
    Maybe that's the lunch/apps that I'm thinking of? At the change of command ceremony? I totally forgot about that too... so maybe just a cake at the pinning and lunch at the actual change of command ceremony. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    @bacorrea You mean your not dreading taking over as FRG leader when he takes command?! That's the part I am dreading haha. His current unit has a single commander and DH keeps suggesting to me that I should "take the reins of FRG". Umm no, I'm about to have my third baby and if going to put that crap off as long as possible! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    @hp_momma yeah I've always been told that the incoming commander provides food for the COC. I told DH he needs to schedule it for breakfast so I can just have Panera cater. Although as I am typing this I realize there isn't Panera in El Paso....hmm well I have some time. He met with the BN CO yesterday and he told him to expect to take command in June/July. Which is great, I won't be there until the end of June though. Oh well. 

I am normally pretty good about all this army stuff. I go to the wife events and host, I try to make it to all the army events. I am REALLY dreading having to run FRG though. I'm hoping someone is already running it when he takes command. 

And yes, just a cake for the pinning ceremony. I normally ordered a sheet cake from the local grocery store that said "Congrations Caption Name" in the BN colors.
  • Options
    hp_momma said:
    @bacorrea You mean your not dreading taking over as FRG leader when he takes command?! That's the part I am dreading haha. His current unit has a single commander and DH keeps suggesting to me that I should "take the reins of FRG". Umm no, I'm about to have my third baby and if going to put that crap off as long as possible! 
    Bahaha jinx. Yes 
  • Options
    @bacorrea Ooo breakfast is a good idea to cater, in saving that one! I can't believe they don't have Panera Bread! Check to see if they have Paradise Bakery, Panera bought them out and some locations in AZ are still under the old name so they might be the same there. It's all Panera's menu though. Or TX has McAllisters Deli which is similar (and cheap, $1.99 kids meals!) but I'm not sure if they have breakfast... 

I attempt to go to the events, we usually make every Hail & Farewell and at his last unit I was really involved in the spouses leadership coffee but this new unit doesn't have that. It was a great way to meet the other wives and I made some really good friends. I am involved in Spouses Club too I just don't want to lead the FRG quite yet haha. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    DH was supposed to get a certification for work this weekend and the class got cancelled, so we decided we'll do the certification in Brooklyn in 2 weeks and make a weekend out of it. I want to go to the Brooklyn flea market! We might airbnb or get a hotel - does anyone know what parking is like in Brooklyn? Is it impossible? 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    Unsure if this should be its own thread, but wondering how to involve a stranger to care for my toddler and newborn in my own home? So far, our schedules have allowed us to be the only caregivers for DS. Things may be changing with our move - our mothers may be able to help but if not, or not enough, we have been toying with the idea of getting a part time nanny/babysitter. This makes me super nervous even though I know people do it everyday. Any and all perspectives welcomed, please and thank you in advance. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    @bacorrea whoa you have mad wife skills. This is his first real kind of promotion since he came in on a weird program so I am unusually clueless trying to help him planning for pinning on major. His boss booked a room for lunchtime so I guess we do cake and food. 

I'm less than thrilled at the idea of pulling our son out of daycare right at naptime but I guess he is expected there soooo crabby 2 year old it is! 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    @Rebecca517, I had to get the Rhogam injection last week (and I also got it with my first pregnancy) and it hurt very badly during the injection, but I had no pain afterward. It was injected into my behind though, so maybe that made it easier....and on top of that, it was the same day as my glucose challenge test so was already feeling rough from that and maybe didn't notice feeling worse from the shot.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    @bacorrea whoa you have mad wife skills. This is his first real kind of promotion since he came in on a weird program so I am unusually clueless trying to help him planning for pinning on major. His boss booked a room for lunchtime so I guess we do cake and food. 

I'm less than thrilled at the idea of pulling our son out of daycare right at naptime but I guess he is expected there soooo crabby 2 year old it is! 
    You could also have your DH ask other people what is sort of "expected" my friend's DH was in Korea and his BN Commander told him he was expected to have his COC catered which is crazy to me. 

I have also heard of friends that were expected to go all out for the pinning ceremony. Each BN is different ya know? A lot of it depends on who is showing up too, any Generals? Lots of COL? 
  • Options
    @wombthereitis Do you know any other wives from the program? I'd see if DH could ask around what has happened at other promotions to see what is expected from you. I think just a cake and lunch would be sufficient but like @bacorrea said it could be who shows up. When DH pinned 1LT it was at the same time as someone else in the BN so his wife and I agreed no cake or lunch. But I feel like 1LT is automatic so it's not really a big deal. I did of course happen during DD2s nap time so that was not fun. Med Services is pretty low key in general too but because he's attached to a different unit I never know if they are going to expect all Hooah or not! 
    When my neighbor pinned Major, his wife went ALL out. She had a catered party with cigars and liquor bar afterwards. She did get him a pretty cool gift (if your DH is into it) of a set of engraved whiskey glasses with the Army and his branch logo. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    I wanted to jump in and say I am really enjoying all of this military talk. This is a world I know nothing about and I am finding it really interesting.
    Phew! I was just thinking "I wonder if everyone is getting bored of all of this military junk?"
    It is another world! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    @bacorrea  nope. I know absolutely nobody. It has been a long lonely three years! Thats part of what's tricky. I work full time and it's not a traditional unit based job so we aren't very hooah at all. 

He isn't sure about hosting a bar after work, we think it probably isn't a thing because it's a weird corner of the army and this is kind of an automatic promotion for them. I've heard about some pretty crazy boozy promotion traditions though so I think we are lucky, people get nuts! 

I am excited for cake though. I hear lots
    of great things about Publix actually which is good because apparently we need a full sheet cake. Thank god I passed my GD screening haha. That and picking the food, I want barbecue but he isn't sold on it. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    @WombThereItIs Publix cake is AWESOME!!  We actually had a Publix cake for our wedding cake. It's called the raspberry elegance cake, and they generally have it to sell by the slice as well. We buy a couple of slices every anniversary:). 
  • Options
    hp_momma said:
    I wanted to jump in and say I am really enjoying all of this military talk. This is a world I know nothing about and I am finding it really interesting.
    Phew! I was just thinking "I wonder if everyone is getting bored of all of this military junk?"
    It is another world! 
    Definitely not bored. QUITE a bit lost!! Hahah But it is fascinating. It's always wild to find a part of the world/community that I know nothing about ;)
    All the acronyms would definitely confuse you! I still get lost when DH talks half the time with acronyms! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    hp_momma said:
    hp_momma said:
    It is another world! 
    Definitely not bored. QUITE a bit lost!! Hahah But it is fascinating. It's always wild to find a part of the world/community that I know nothing about ;)
    All the acronyms would definitely confuse you! I still get lost when DH talks half the time with acronyms! 
    Yes! I made my husband teach me. I will stop him in the middle of the sentence and make him explain what he is saying. 
  • Options
    @hp_momma with DD I had gestational hypoglycemia (so too low blood sugar). I passed out a couple times and had lots of periods of lightheadedness. My 1 hour glucola result was like 52 or something and another one in had to do for work was 47. I don't know what my result was yesterday but do know that I passed. I'm interested to see if I have it again (I have similar symptoms again). I just had to eat small frequent meals, lots of protein with my meals. 

@Rebecca517 I had my rhogam yesterday and it wasn't bad but it was in my bottom which I think helps. It's a little achey today if I sit right it but overall a thousand times better than the tdap that I got at the same time in my arm. Ouch!

I love all the military talk! My only knowledge is based off the show Army wives, which I'm sure isn't accurate at all. I think it would be very cool to be a part of the military family 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @MrsFreeman2010 wow, never even thought of anyone having gestational hypoglycemia. I hope you don't have it again, but if you do, at least your experienced and know what to expect. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    @MrsFreeman2010, @hp_momma, my glucose also came back low at 59. The doctor hasn't called me to talk about it yet, but I'm assuming all is fine. I know I have low blood sugar to begin with. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    @MrsFreeman2010 @kns1988 OB didn't mention hypoglycemia but I've always questioned if I have it on a normal basis even while not pregnant as I have the symptoms often. I control it a lot better knowing what foods to snack on throughout the day. I'm not a big protein eater but I've been trying to up my intake because it does make a difference! 

@MrsFreeman2010 Army Wives isn't 100% accurate but there are many aspects that are true! DH couldn't stand when I watched it as he liked to pick apart everything that was wrong with it! It's like any TV show though. I love Greys Anatomy but I'm sure the nurses/docs in here would burst my bubble with the lack of drama that really happens haha. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    @hp_momma haha sorry but greys is the furthest thing from the truth.  Most importantly nobody at any hospital where I've ever worked is that hot!  Lol.  Also the coming to work and going home in the daylight is a farce especially for surgical residents and surgeons.  And don't get me started on the medical aspects :).  

@SWE2 I agree about scrubs.  It is so realistic as far as how residents are treated and the hospital interactions on there are much more like what has happened to me IRL.