November 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Sleep Training

Re: All Things Sleep Training

• Options
    I got 2 30 minute naps today and they were BM induced. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    Baby gave up daytime naps it seems. 
    We got 2 today. They were about 15 minutes while in my lap. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO is definitely not on a schedule and his naps are all over the place. He has lately been sleeping shorter naps, but today he took a 3 hour one! 
  • Options
    I got 2 30 minute naps today and they were BM induced. 
    Nursing doesn't even help S fall asleep anymore  :s.  
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    LO is definitely not on a schedule and his naps are all over the place. He has lately been sleeping shorter naps, but today he took a 3 hour one! 
    A 3 hour nap is awesome!  I don't think S has ever taken a nap over 2.5 hrs and that was in her early days. 

Its just crazy how my old tricks don't work anymore. Her bedtime has definitely shifted earlier but we are lucky to get 30 min naps now which take about 15 mins of work. 
  • Options
    Seems like LO just cat naps at daycare, they've tried putting him down a couple times but he isn't having it (he is swaddled for naps at home, white noise etc). I think it's just too busy at daycare so his sleep is crap. I really hope he gets better because while his naps weren't always great at home he would do 1-2 hour stretches when put down 
  • Options
    He'll adjust @kvruns. Try not to worry too much, mama. 
  • Options

I was talking with my SIL about how Nora naps so bad at daycare and only short naps on weekends. She mentioned that at this age, as they become aware of everything around them, they get distracted easily and don't want to miss anything/are more easily awoken. Naps are supposed to get better again by 6 months I guess.

I sure hope so, b/c Nora has been sleeping worse at night than she was a few weeks ago and I think the cat naps and being awake too long before naps at daycare are why. When I was home with her, her naps were better and we got better sleep at night.

I'm not sure I will be able to put Nora down awake and have her sleep on her own. She usually falls asleep nursing on weeknights. On weekends I have been able to put her down half asleep and she'll suck her thumb and go to sleep, so there may be hope... but for now, I don't mind that she falls asleep after nursing, it's easy and it works. Also, by the time I get home and spend a little quality time with her and bathe her, it's pretty much her bedtime and she needs to eat, so it just works out that she nurses to sleep.

Me: 32 DH: 31 Married since 2010
    MC January 2016
    BFP February 2016 Baby Girl born 11/2016
    BFP 8/16/2018 EDD 4/29/2019 MMC 10/3/2018
    BFP 12/16/2018 EDD 08/26/2019 MC/CP 12/20/2018
    BFP 03/28/2019 EDD 12/07/2019 Hoping for our rainbow

• Options
    Megz1902 said:

SNIP

I sure hope so, b/c Nora has been sleeping worse at night than she was a few weeks ago and I think the cat naps and being awake too long before naps at daycare are why. When I was home with her, her naps were better and we got better sleep at night.

STUCK in Box

that is my fear, that his good sleep at night will be ruined by bad naps in the daytime. 

• Options
    It takes a little while to adjust. I was just reading through the daycare notes from our first LO to prep for this one and she didn't nap for about two weeks but fell into a schedule after that and napped like clockwork. She also started sleeping through the night at 6-7 months after that, previously she was up at 2 and 5 every night. I know everyone is different but I hope that gives you a little hope. 
  • Options
    @kvruns This is only her 4th week at daycare, so she could still be acclimating I suppose. I'll give her another month and if she is not napping better, and daycare cannot get her to nap better, it may be time to find different care for her, possibly in-home where it is less busy.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 Married since 2010
    MC January 2016
    BFP February 2016 Baby Girl born 11/2016
    BFP 8/16/2018 EDD 4/29/2019 MMC 10/3/2018
    BFP 12/16/2018 EDD 08/26/2019 MC/CP 12/20/2018
    BFP 03/28/2019 EDD 12/07/2019 Hoping for our rainbow

• Options
    kvruns said:
    Megz1902 said:

SNIP

STUCK in Box

that is my fear, that his good sleep at night will be ruined by bad naps in the daytime. 

I feel like this has become our problem. 
  • Options
    @Megz1902 I've never been able to lay S down drowsy but awake so I've just come to the realization however we can get her asleep is how we'll do it. It has been hard for me to come to grips with that because I'm very routine/schedule oriented myself but if I have to nurse her to sleep so be it. But at some point sleep training will probably be in our future. I was planning to do the sleep lady shuffle prior to returning to work but I just couldn't bring myself to do it yet. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Seems like LO just cat naps at daycare, they've tried putting him down a couple times but he isn't having it (he is swaddled for naps at home, white noise etc). I think it's just too busy at daycare so his sleep is crap. I really hope he gets better because while his naps weren't always great at home he would do 1-2 hour stretches when put down 
    Her first couple weeks at daycare we were lucky if E took more than one 15 minute nap. She's been slowly getting more comfortable so now in her 8th week she takes a few naps every day, ranging from 20 minutes to 2 hours (still unpredictable, as always, but better).
  • Options
    I accidentally put S to sleep drowsy but awake.  I was actually trying to take out the paci while she was still partially awake hoping when she woke up during the night she wouldn't cry for it like she does when it falls out. During the transfer to her rock n play she woke up.  I gave her the paci and she fell asleep on her own. Maybe I need to get her drowsy but awake without the pacifier and then give her the paci when I lay her down. Does that count as her falling asleep on her own? Lol
  • Options
    I would say paci or no that's a win! 
  • Options
    Lol @kristah2 that's cute. What did he do after that
  • Options
    @kristah2 That is too funny!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    I shouldn't have talked about LO being able to lay down drowsy but awake. Nope, he's having none of that anymore. 
  • Options
    That's good @MrsMaryK2016 that you found a possible cause. I've been drinking more caffeine than usual this week (mostly bc I have more access to it at work) and I'm hoping it doesn't affect him from my pumping 
  • Options
    @mrsmaryk2016 That's definitely going to make a difference. You could probably just cut the soda and see a big difference. While I am a caffeine addict, I stick with decaf when not working and muscle through work with half caf while still nursing. 
  • Options
    I feel like a total bitch, but was actually happy to read that your LO's have crappy naps. Thought I was the only one who had a LO that thinks she's a big girl and can stay awake. It's exhausting.

That picture is too cute @kristah2, my girl rolls over too, but gets angry on her tummy, so I've put her between a side sleeper.

Did you have a pregnancy pillow @mrsmoose5? Not the really big one but a smaller one? If so you could use this to make the transition, or a rolled up blanket.
    Just make sure to put it under the sheets, so your LO can't get under it. Slowly make a bigger space.
    Or just go 'cold turkey' you might be amazed and your LO just accepts sleeping in the crib!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited March 2017
    Well I think I've figured out why M has been refusing to nap. Caffeine. I have a cup of coffee every morning and a coke with lunch and the occasional iced tea in the afternoon. Since I've cut out caffeine he has gone down for his naps like he used to and even went to bed at seven last night and slept to 2:30. It's only been a day and a half but I'm seeing a pretty dramatic difference already. Just thought I'd share in case it helps someone else. 
    I was worried that this may be our problem too. Guess I will have to try it. Already on a dairy/ tomato free diet for S so what's one more thing to eliminate  :s.  Stupid question, what have you been drinking then?
  • Options
    Lil dude is definitely out of the falls asleep on his own club. He is now even fighting when snuggling/held. :disappointed:
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    Lil dude is definitely out of the falls asleep on his own club. He is now even fighting when snuggling/held. :disappointed:
    Nooooo!  The fighting when held is how the regression started for us. 

How long does this regression last and does it eventually stop?  Or is this what we have to deal with until the next regression?  
  • Options
    For the moms whose baby does not go to sleep at daycare, our LO stays at home with my mom but still does not sleep more than 30 min. I think (and hope) that it s a stage and it will get better . Her sleeps are pretty good at night tough.
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    Nooooo!  The fighting when held is how the regression started for us. 

How long does this regression last and does it eventually stop?  Or is this what we have to deal with until the next regression?  
    uh oh mine is majorly fighting it lately. Or falls asleep in my arms and wide awake when i put him down no matter how long I rock him
  • Options
    @kvruns Yep those are the things we deal with now  :s.  She used to be an awesome night sleeper but everything has changed. 
  • Options
    @kvruns Yep those are the things we deal with now  :s.  She used to be an awesome night sleeper but everything has changed. 

STUCK

lalalalalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
  • Options
    So I've been reading about leap 5 because we will be there pretty soon and I've seen where people say sleep went from good to horrible. Sleep has already been horrible here since she hit 4 months/leap 4. Is it going to get even worse??  Please just tell me S went through it earlier than those other LOs. 
  • Options
    @ladybug2821 we are not there yet but with DD I only remember the four month sleep regression as being memorable in terms of being bad. After that I feel like I only remember her sleep improving with small set backs every so often for this or that. Try not to stress about it. It may regress a little but it shouldn't be anything like 4 months. 
  • Options
    Tried to ditch the DockATot ... it seems like it's getting too snug for her and she wants more freedom to move around. Well, it was a total fail lol. She woke up within a few minutes and is definitely enjoying the freedom to move ... she's wide awake playing with her feet and spinning in circles all over the crib *eye roll* 
  • Options
    First night in the zipadee zip. It definitely didn't cause any additional wake ups like I thought since it was new. And not quite sure it if made a huge difference, but I kind of messed that up. S usually wakes around 12 & 4 for a feeding and sometimes prior to 12 she'll just wake up for no reason. She slept from 7-12 then around 5 I realized she hadn't woken up. So mommy paranoia set in and I touched her gently to make sure she was breathing and she woke up  :s. So now I'm wondering if she would've slept all the way until her wake up time (6:30/7). Unfortunately she is still in the rock n play because of the sleep regression and swaddle removal so the true test will be in her crib or pack n play. But I will wait for the weekend to test that out. 
  • Options
    mrsmoose5mrsmoose5 member
    edited March 2017
    So how are naps going for everyone? DD is still having a hard time napping anywhere but in someone's arms. I try to get her to take at least one nap in her crib a day (usually the morning one), but haven't been very successful. Basically, she fights sleep and it takes FOREVER to get her down (walking around, white noise, pacifier, rocking, sometimes nursing) ... I tell DS to please play quietly in his room while I get her down, which he does very well, but even he has a time limit and sometimes it takes SO LONG for her to fall asleep. Then even if I get her down in her crib, she might only last 5-10 minutes and then I have to start the whole charade all over again, all the while DS is getting impatient and so am I because I really don't want to ignore him for so long trying to put her down. I feel like I am missing out on so much of my morning with him because it's so hard to get her to nap. A lot of mornings I just give up and move on with the day ... then she might take a catnap in the stroller or in my arms, then take a longer nap while I hold her during his nap. The same goes for her afternoon nap, I can easily spend 2 hours trying to get her to sleep in her crib or just let her nap in the wrap while I play with DS outside. I really would like to at least start moving toward  nap schedule and having her nap in her crib, but I feel like I need to devote so much time to enforcing crib naps that it's not feasible. 

Has anyone had luck putting baby in crib then just doing checks every 5-10 minutes? I feel like she would just play and stay awake and then get overtired? 

Right now it's 9:40 and she's been up since 6:15 without a nap. DS is out playing with my mom this morning, so I have time to devote to helping her sleep, but most mornings I just can't. Ugh! Vent over.

Edit: spelling and grammar
  • Options
    mrsmoose5 said:
    SNIP

Has anyone had luck putting baby in crib then just doing checks every 5-10 minutes? I feel like she would just play and stay awake and then get overtired?

Right now it's 9:40 and she's been up since 6:15 without a nap. DS is out playing with my mom this morning, so I have time to devote to helping her sleep, but most mornings I just can't. Ugh! Vent over.
    I had a lot of success doing the checks for sleep and it working reasonably well back when he was swaddled with arms in. Very rarely did I have to pick him up to soothe. First check was 3 minutes then it was 5 from there on out - I almost never went longer than 5 min unless I was doing something and didn't hear him. Unfortunately Once arms came out of swaddle I'm now like you, it is a whole routine of bouncing, walking, then rocking to get him down and there's no guarantee he will stay asleep even before I walk out the room. Othertimes he'll sleep 2 hours. It's wacky.  (granted I'm at work now so I just have weekends for his naps)

i say give it a try a few times. I usually set my limit of afraid 1/2 hour (which really would just be like 2-3 checks/trying to put down again) and then would give in and hold him since at the end of the day I need him to nap
  • Options
    @mrsmoose5 Since the sleep regression, S has been horrible at taking naps with me. But for some reason H can get her down relatively quickly. She is mostly a 30 min Napper though. Normally if I lay with her I can keep her asleep 1-2.5 hrs but even recently that has been a struggle. We haven't been able to use the crib/pack n play for anything since the regression. She wakes up as soon as we lay her down. Prior to she was napping in either one. I'm hoping the zipadee zip will help. I'm going to wait to do the checks until she is 6 months and probably start with night and hope naps follow suit. I've heard it's harder to Sleep train for naps. 
  • Options
    @mrsmoose5 - Naps only happen after a long feed and in my arms over here too! I'm not fretting just yet but with another kiddo it certainly is a challenge.