November 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Sleep Training

Re: All Things Sleep Training

• Options
    @desoky01 I'm like your husband, an incredibly light sleeper so M's night noises used to interfere with my sleep too. We accidentally transitioned M to the crib (long story) so I didn't have any of the anxiety you're having but I will say my quality of sleep greatly improved having him out of the room. I never thought I was getting poor sleep but I slept much more soundly when he was out of the room. I hate to say it but I think you need to do this for your husband. It would totally suck to sleep on the couch every night. 
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    I know this isn't exactly sleep training related but it's sleep related...H is an insomniac and has trouble falling back asleep once woken up. LO is so loud in his sleep, so even though he's sleeping H is not. So H basically gave the ultimatum. He's on the couch or LO is in his crib in the nursery. It's right next door so it shouldn't feel that hard for me, but I don't want him to be next door! I also understand H's issue though. Ugh, I hate milestones like this. I love sleeping close to LO, and I love nursing him while laying down. I don't want to have to get up and travel so far to nurse or soothe. And that makes me feel selfish too. Ugh ugh ugh. Bad morning in our household. 
    I put LO in her crib for night sleep for the first time last night. The only reason I did it is because I really want to start sleep training before I go back to work. It takes too much work to get her asleep especially for naps when she only sleeps for 30 mins. I thought people were full of crap when they said it was the best decision. I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought. I actually worried less for some reason. But it did suck having to go further to put her paci back in and bring her to my room for a feeding. I'm trying to get rid of night feedings all together though so hopefully I won't have to go in as often. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @desoky01 that stinks you feel stuck between the two.

mine is in the crib and the first night or two was stressful but the sleep is good. Mine doesn't nurse overnight though. But If you're not comfortable moving LO I'd send H to the couch. Although take that opinion with the grain of salt that my marriage sucks right now lol so not being in the same bed wouldn't bother me. 
  • Options
    Thanks all. I'm definitely going to do it for H's sake, I totally understand how sucky it would be not to sleep. And I don't want him to sleep on the couch, that's for sure. He even sweetly offered to do an every other night thing, him on the couch one night with LO in our room, and the other night LO in his crib and H in our bed. I'm going to bite the bullet for H, and I'm sure it will all be OK. 
  • Options
    Tonight is the first night of LO being in his room alone. I'm not excited about it at all. 
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    Tonight is the first night of LO being in his room alone. I'm not excited about it at all. 
    You can do this! Stay strong, mama!
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    Hope you got some sleep @desoky01
    What might help is having your LO's clothes with you the first few nights.
    I still do sometimes, it's such a relaxing smell :)

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    desoky01 said:
    How did it go??
  • Options
    m6agua said:
    Holy crap! I put her down awake but sleepy and calm and she fell asleep within 10 minutes. I am amazed.
    With our first there was a 10 minute rule: I couldn't go get hurt or try to soothe her for 10 minutes after being out down and sure enough by the 9th minute every time, she was out cold. I only wish that was the case for this one...
  • Options
    Yea for sleep success ladies!
  • Options
    Well despite the success of putting her down awake but drowsy, she was up quite a bit. She was up twice within a couple hours of putting her down (gas and hungry). Then she was up a few times in the night as well. I am pretty sure this phase is a combination of teething, 4 month sleep regression, and the 4th leap.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    Hoping it's not a fluke and I don't jinx it, S took 2 45 min naps unswaddled with minimal fussing!  Granted it was in the rock and play but the crib but you have to start somewhere. 
  • Options
    For the third time this week I've put B down pretty much wide awake and he's passed right out. That never happens at home. This child confuses me 
  • Options
    I think we're all baffled by these kids. I'm for sure confused as hell with M's new nighttime routine of screaming for two hours straight. Lord help me...
  • Options
    I think we're all baffled by these kids. I'm for sure confused as hell with M's new nighttime routine of screaming for two hours straight. Lord help me...
    FX it's a growth spurt or leap. Have you considered trying something new like eliminating the swaddle or stopping white noise? That seems to help us for the second time around. He was flailing and fussing; we removed the swaddle and he appears to be much more comfortable and sleeping better. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ I actually think it might be his belly. He didn't poop yesterday or today and I had peppers with lunch and dinner yesterday and the day before. He's so sensitive to vegetables and that might be a new one I need to add to the do-not-eat list. But then again he was fine all day today and yesterday so I could be completely wrong. It's all such a guessing game! If he's like this tomorrow then maybe we'll try switching up the routine. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ I actually think it might be his belly. He didn't poop yesterday or today and I had peppers with lunch and dinner yesterday and the day before. He's so sensitive to vegetables and that might be a new one I need to add to the do-not-eat list. But then again he was fine all day today and yesterday so I could be completely wrong. It's all such a guessing game! If he's like this tomorrow then maybe we'll try switching up the routine. 
    Maybe a suppository if you think the discomfort could be constipation related?
  • Options
    S was unswaddled for all naps and bedtime sleep yesterday. Her naps were much better than I expected but she woke up pretty much every hour at night. One of her sleepy ques is rubbing her eyes. Problem is when she partially wakes she rubs the crap out of them and knocks out her pacifier and wakes up crying. Is this hopefully just her adjusting to sleeping without the swaddle?  I thought the startle reflex was what was going to wake her up. 
  • Options
    @ladybug2821 I would assume it's adjustment. With our first we used a wubanub because it acted almost as a weight and made it less likely to fall out entirely. 
  • Options
    Maybe a suppository if you think the discomfort could be constipation related?
    He pooped four times this morning, thank god. Buuut putting him down for his nap was a battle just like the past two nights so maybe it's not gas after all...
  • Options
    @ladybug2821 I would assume it's adjustment. With our first we used a wubanub because it acted almost as a weight and made it less likely to fall out entirely. 
    I've been thinking about using one of those. But are they all attached to soothies?  She doesn't like those. He prefers regular pacifiers. 
  • Options
    I've been thinking about using one of those. But are they all attached to soothies?  She doesn't like those. He prefers regular pacifiers. 
    I think so. Dr. Brown makes one too though. I saw them at Target yesterday. 
  • Options
    I think so. Dr. Brown makes one too though. I saw them at Target yesterday. 
    Perfect!  All of her pacis are Dr. Browns. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ Does the wabbanub actually have some weight to it?  I bought the one from Dr. Browns and it is way too light to make a difference. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 No they're really light. I bought mine thinking it would be heavier but it's very light. M doesn't like those pacifiers and wouldn't take it so I can't attest to if it helps with the spitting out or not. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 No they're really light. I bought mine thinking it would be heavier but it's very light. M doesn't like those pacifiers and wouldn't take it so I can't attest to if it helps with the spitting out or not. 
    S doesn't like soothies either. That is why I got excited when @SandNStarsNJ said Dr. Browns had one. But it didn't do anything as far as keeping it in her mouth. Luckily she only woke up 3 times completely unswaddled which was much better than every hour like the previous night. Guessing she just needed to adjust. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 I'm sure that's all it is. You know, we didn't swaddle at all until 6 weeks. I'm now wishing we had just not bothered to start because breaking him of needing it is annoying. 
  • Options
    I saw a video of someone making their own wubbanub using a tiny beanie baby and pacifier of choice. It allowed it to be heavier weighted and use the shape they want. Could be an option! 
  • Options
    The frog wubanub was big and heavy enough to do the trick for DD. I'm sorry it didn't work out @ladybug2821.
  • Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited March 2017
    @Ladybug2821 I'm sure that's all it is. You know, we didn't swaddle at all until 6 weeks. I'm now wishing we had just not bothered to start because breaking him of needing it is annoying. 
    I've been thinking the exact same thing.  Also in regards to giving her a pacifier. I tried getting her out of the swaddle one arm out and then wanting to move from there. But honestly I just say rip the bandaid off and take him out of the swaddle all together. Either way you are going to have some sleepless nights and why have more if you can just have them get used to it all at once. The first night was rough but there was definitely improvement he second. 
  • Options
    kristah2 said:
    I saw a video of someone making their own wubbanub using a tiny beanie baby and pacifier of choice. It allowed it to be heavier weighted and use the shape they want. Could be an option! 
    That is an awesome idea!  I'm going to check that out. 
  • Options
    I kind of wish I'd done no swaddle instead of swaddling arms out as our transition. ALthoug he will be undwaddled at daycare starting Monday so we will see what happens......
  • Options
    Is anyone else using a DockATot? It's been wonderful for us, but I think DD is starting to grow out of it and I'm not sure I really want to spring for a grand. Thinking about maybe just trying to transition her straight out of it and onto the bare crib. She's never wanted to be swaddled and has always slept fine without it, but in the beginning she needed to be in something snug & with sides (hence the DaT). We cosleep sometimes in the early morning hours and she seems to sleep fine flat on her back on just the bed sheet then, so I'm wondering... 
  • Options
    I've learned that a schedule for naps doesn't work here so I go by LOs sleepy ques. When I see her yawning or rubbing her eyes I know she is tired and I start getting her ready for a nap (pacifier and rocking). But it's taking a good 15 mins to finally get her asleep. I'm sure some of it has to do with leap 4/sleep regression because it wasn't this bad before but I'm wondering if I should wait about 10 mins once I see her ques and then try to get her to sleep. 
  • Options
    mrsmoose5 said:
    Is anyone else using a DockATot? It's been wonderful for us, but I think DD is starting to grow out of it and I'm not sure I really want to spring for a grand. Thinking about maybe just trying to transition her straight out of it and onto the bare crib. She's never wanted to be swaddled and has always slept fine without it, but in the beginning she needed to be in something snug & with sides (hence the DaT). We cosleep sometimes in the early morning hours and she seems to sleep fine flat on her back on just the bed sheet then, so I'm wondering... 
    We don't use that but S started off in the rock n play which has the sides and is reclined. I worried it would cause a problem with her laying flat in the crib but I didn't see where it did. The only difference for me is I have a much harder time laying her in the crib without her waking up vs the rock n play. 
  • Options
    What is the latest you are putting LO down for a nap?  Does anyone actually get 1 or more hours naps regularly out of LO?
  • Options
    Not anymore. I'm lucky if we get 45 minutes. Today he napped 45 minutes, 25 minutes, and 30 minutes. He's on a sleep strike.
  • Options
    I used to get good naps but not now. He's super fussy in the evening and I usually hold him for a 30-60 min nap 5-6pm ish. It's right before he goes to bed but usually still sleeps ok