February 2017 Moms

The Boob Thread

Re: The Boob Thread

• skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited January 2017
    He was right on the edge of 10% body weight at 9%. Bottle feeding I think we would have the same issue, because he literally wants nothing when we force wake him up. He feeds so well when he wakes up on his own, no feeding issues at all. He still a big baby at 7.5 so it is not like he underweight. I plan on calling our LC tomorrow from the hospital. I am just frustrated today, because before the doctor office, he was feeding so well. Now after the doctors office he has been crying most of the day he has been awake and I feel like a bad mom. He has barely fed, he feeds more when I let him naturally wake up then me forcing him. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • @skiingstark did he get shots today? If he got shots, he could be more irritable than normal. Don't feel like a bad mom, the first few weeks are the hardest. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @skiingstark, how often is he waking on his own?   Is he getting the right number of wet or poopy diapers?   

I had little babies with my twins and we did try to feed them every 2-3 hours.   If we needed to wake them and feed them we would change them first then tickle feet, etc. 

That being said,  at 7.5 pounds I wouldn't be too worried yet.  
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • He is doing okay on diapers, he is right on the low side of the average we are suppose to get. 
    Last night I did not wake him up to feed him and he finally started feeding again. Yesterday he did not feed much because he was crying so much after I had to wake him and would just refuse to latch. But last night and this morning he was great, he attached well and feed well. I also talked to my MIL, my DH was the exact same way, he slept a lot and would not feed when he forced to wake up. So apparently my baby is just acting like my DH. S

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Not feeding a baby when a Dr has told you to makes me super nervous.

That's like an amazingly nice way to say that  :|
    WHO AM I 
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited January 2017
    Yep, I know, thanks for being nice. I am normally all about following Dr orders, but he was not feeding when I did wake him, so he was eating less and then I am really not following doctor's orders because he was not eating. :( Soo I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if dont. 

So he sleeps through changing his clothes and having him lay on me skin to skin he will sleep through. Changing his diaper will wake him up he tries to go to sleep right after it if he did not wake up on his own though. That is the issue @MrsDramaK to keep him awake when he did not choose to wake up, means he gets hysterical. 
    If anyone has other ways that make him stay up without the hysterical that would be great. My family thinks I am overly worrying because they say I have a great baby, he sleeps great and when he wakes up he feeds great. So yeah...

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • How long are the sleep stretches?   We used to change diapers and leave them undressed but under a blanket to nurse when we were trying to keep them awake. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • He sleeps 3 to 4 hours. Dr would prefer 2 hours. 

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Have you considered high calorie formula to supplement? If you can't get him to eat every 2hrs, maybe feeding the high cal formula mixed with breast milk every 3-4hrs would be an option?  Excessive sleepiness is a symptom of failure to thrive babies. 
  • That's awesome @skiingstark
  • yay @skiingstark More boob magic!
  • Glad to hear @skiingstark...This last week had to be frustrating and exhausting, keep doing your thang mama!
  • Finally got my pump in the mail, hooray! STM+ or well prepared FTM, anybody have a bag solution they love for transporting pump, parts, and milk to and from work? 
  • Finally got my pump in the mail, hooray! STM+ or well prepared FTM, anybody have a bag solution they love for transporting pump, parts, and milk to and from work? 
    Ooh yeah! Good question! Last time, I bought a pump that came with carrying case. This one from my insurance is basic model and I need a bag for it. 
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited January 2017
    Finally got my pump in the mail, hooray! STM+ or well prepared FTM, anybody have a bag solution they love for transporting pump, parts, and milk to and from work? 
    Ideally I personally would want the carrying case and breast milk cooler set that go to the pump. But I've looked into it and I can't find the specific bag for the specific pump that I want. Sooo instead the things I'm looking for, for transportation is a small insulated cooler that will fit the bottles of breast milk after I pump, and an ice pack for the cooler. They actually sell breast milk coolers with a wavy ice pack. (I think medela ones are $25, which I will want because it comes with extra bottles too, and I'm planning on using a medela pump and bottles since you can pump directly into the bottles or their storage bags, but I exclusively pump) but then I would want a tote/large purse to put the pump and parts in as well as the cooler. I prefer to keep my actual purse separate but someone might find it easier to buy a giant bag to hold their purse items plus their pumping supplies. For us, since I only need to transport the pump if we are going to visit family or something, my husband decided we will just carry that stuff in the diaper bag... my control freak side wants the carry bag to be separate though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I bought this one and a wet bag

Sarah Wells "Lizzy" Breast Pump Bag (Gray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUHZAVO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GEnJybYFDGTVB

I like like to use an insulated lunch box for my parts and milk so I can tell them apart from the other ones in the fridge at work. 
  • leslie1331leslie1331 member
    edited January 2017
    Finally got my pump in the mail, hooray! STM+ or well prepared FTM, anybody have a bag solution they love for transporting pump, parts, and milk to and from work? 
    My friend uses a Sarah Wells bag, though I think they are pretty expensive. (Like $100 range.) She raves about it. And it's very stylish.  A lady I work with has this one and she loves it. It's cute in person too! Not sure what pump she has, it's always closed, but I would assume it's universal. 

https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=93235606&gclid=CO2Hm8Cx5dECFd61wAod4X8Isg&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID23975983:BRUS&cagpspn=plab_23975983&eESource=CAPLA_DF:93235606:TRUS
  • @PerraSucia I haven't been able to find a bag that has the spot for easy access to the actual pump like that!! 

That bag is similar to what I would be looking for.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ooh I like both of those @PerraSucia and @leslie13510! Bonus is that I think they'd both hold my laptop and a file or two as well. I guess I'll make sure BF works for us before pulling the trigger but either of those would be great. 
  • @PerraSucia why do we buy all the same things?!

I have the Sarah Wells "Kelly" Bag.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0128S0EXY/ref=sxts1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1485629254&sr=1

It converts to a backpack, which I like because I will be at school in the fall and I only want to take one bag. There's room in there for the pump, all the parts, the little medela cooler, my laptop, charger, planner, a snack, and a couple books
  • Question about pumping that I probably will need to come back and reference later when I go back to work, but what do people do AT work. I have two 15min breaks and one 30min break that I can pump on. Am I supposed to wash the part every time? I thought I read somewhere that I could refigerate the "parts" and then I wouldn't have to wash until I got home, but I don't know if that's actually something I could do. If so, it wouldn't be so bad, but I picture trying to pump for 10min, then go wash the parts for 5min and haul ass back upstairs, nevermind trying to find a spot to wash them at. 

Not going to lie, pumping at work gives me a lot of anxiety.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • @Aussie45 when I pumped at work and was short on time, I refrigerated the parts. But if I had time, especially for my last pump of the day, I kept a rubbermaid dishpan, clean dishcloth, dishsoap and and a plastic shoebox-sized box with a drying towel inside as my drying station at my desk. It was nice to have the parts washed up and leave it at work rather than haul it home and have more things to do once at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Aussie45 when I pumped at work and was short on time, I refrigerated the parts. But if I had time, especially for my last pump of the day, I kept a rubbermaid dishpan, clean dishcloth, dishsoap and and a plastic shoebox-sized box with a drying towel inside as my drying station at my desk. It was nice to have the parts washed up and leave it at work rather than haul it home and have more things to do once at home.
    This is a really good idea... Stealing!
  • If you can, try to get a pump that comes with the bag! The one I got through my insurance is a Medela and came with the travel bag, a cooler, and wavy ice pack. It also came with a sample of disposable breast pads.

I have a few questions for mom's that EP - @kswiger06 and anyone else!

-Roughly how long did you EP before weaning?

-Did your supply increase as LO's needs increased?

-Did you have to supplement with formula and if so, roughly how much or how many feedings?

-Did you take anything to increase supply like fenugreek?

-Is there anything else that would be helpful to know?

I do realize that everyone is different, but I thought  it might be nice to have some ballpark estimates and some different experiences.

Back story: I got the go-head to BF my DD from her pedi, and we tried for almost 2 weeks. Her latch was pretty good and there was no nipple confusion after being on the bottle or anything. She was eating but I don't think she wasn't eating enough. She was miserable and cranky the entire time, and did not have enough wet/dirty diapers for my liking, so I decided to go back to EP and she is back to her normal happy self!

When I was pumping before I tried BFing I was drinking Mothers Milk tea 3x a day and I was keeping up great and had extra. I'm now trying UpSpring Milkflow berry powder and my supply is not as great as before, so I will be switching back to the tea after this pack is finished. LO also had a huge appetite increase and is eating much more, so that may also be a factor? Her demand has increased but my supply has pretty much stayed the same. I'm usually about 1-3 feeds ahead of her supply-wise. She eats every 3 hours and I'm pumping every 3 hours during the day with a 6 hour stretch over night.

We typically supplement 1 night feeding with straight formula because I'm not producing enough breast milk for every feeding right now. She also gets 2 fortified feeds in addition to her formula feeding during a 24 hour period (typically in the evening/night). We had been doing all fortified feedings before I got the go-ahead for BFing. She's been gaining weight fantastically and her pedi said it was fine to just do fortified/formula for her night feedings and have straight BM during the day.
  • I wrote a huge novel about pumping at work in a different thread but refrigerate parts for daily pumping and have two sets to not have to wash everyday. 
  • yogadevilyogadevil member
    edited January 2017
    I have a question- DD nurses for about 20-25mins on one side, takes a 10-30min breather (for burps little snoozes) then nurses for 5-10 mins on the other side to top her off This is ok right?

in talking to a friend that EBF'd her 3 kids she said "Nooooooo! You have to keep her awake, the only break she should be taking is to burp then relatch." I guess I feel like listening to my body and my baby is working well, is what I'm doing just fine and my friend is just being pushy? Or is she right and I should really push for all feeds to more efficient? DD is a week old and just regained her birthweight if that makes a difference.

ETA - she gets hiccups after a lot of feeds, is that normal? I'm so new to this stuff
  • @yogadevil Also a FTM, but my DD also gets the hiccups almost every time as well. Neither her pedi or in-home nurse seemed concerned when I mentioned it. Her pedi explained that her diaphragm just needs time to figure out what it's supposed to do. If it's interrupting feeds or anything, I would maybe ask her pedi to be safe?
  • @ColeBug89 thanks! I was going to ask her pedi on Tuesday. That makes sense that her little diaphragm just needs time to understand what's going on

@scottipino thank you. We've had 3 weight checks on her- she was born 6lbs 1oz, her 24 hour check was 5lbs 13oz, 3 days later she was 5 lbs 7oz, she's now back to 6lbs even and her pedi said that was perfect as long as she kept gaining. I didn't think to change her diaper in between sides, I'll do that to wake her up more next time. There are definitely feeds on the one side only, where she's just not interested in more. The LC at the hospital mentioned that one breast should be the "main course" and the other should be considered "dessert" so I've been trying to follow that as best I can because I figure she'd know way better than me lol
  • Aussie45 said:
    Question about pumping that I probably will need to come back and reference later when I go back to work, but what do people do AT work. I have two 15min breaks and one 30min break that I can pump on. Am I supposed to wash the part every time? I thought I read somewhere that I could refigerate the "parts" and then I wouldn't have to wash until I got home, but I don't know if that's actually something I could do. If so, it wouldn't be so bad, but I picture trying to pump for 10min, then go wash the parts for 5min and haul ass back upstairs, nevermind trying to find a spot to wash them at. 

Not going to lie, pumping at work gives me a lot of anxiety.
    I know my employer gives pumping moms an extra 15 adjacent to our paid 15 min breaks, so we actually get 30 mins of pumping time. You may want to call your HR and see if that's offered. 
  • Thank you @scottipino, I'll definitely check out Kellymom.com!
  • @Aussie45, for sure just put all your pump parts in the fridge at work. I just used an insulated lunch bag. Then you can wash at night. To be honest, I also do this all day too. It's crazy to me to wash in between each time when the milk left in it is fine in the fridge!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @ColeBug89 I will be looking into the site @scottipino mentioned just because I feel like I can always improve or learn something new, but because you asked specific questions, I'm going to answer from my experience as from my other kids. 

-Roughly how long did you EP before weaning?
    With our son I couldn't make it work and ended up switching to formula around 2 months. (The rest of the questions I'll answer only for pumping with our daughter) With our daughter I thought I had enough of a stash to quit pumping at 8 months so she could make it to 12 months, but I ran short and she had to formula feed around 10 months. This time I know better and will aim to pump longer if it all works out.

-Did your supply increase as LO's needs increased? 
    No, I stuck to a strict schedule from the beginning, and after my initial engorgement and oversupply, it slowed down a little but I always had enough for her to eat at every meal as she grew. At first i had too much and froze all the extra, then at several months old, her feeding started spacing out but she was eating larger amounts. So *since I pumped every 3 hours during day and every 4 hours over night*, I would save the milk in the fridge and combine it so it would make up enough for her to eat. 

-Did you have to supplement with formula and if so, roughly how much or how many feedings?
    The only time I had to supplement with formula while I was actively pumping was in the hospital until my milk came in. She ate all the colostrum I could provide and was still hungry. Once my milk came in, I never needed formula until I quit pumping and ran out of our freezer stash.

-Did you take anything to increase supply like fenugreek?
    I never took anything because I never knew there were things to help with supply. I am planning on looking into it this time just out of curiosity. I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not, but while pumping I ate a lot, and I drank at least 3 quarts of liquid a day. I was just Hungry and thirsty all the time. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with supply or not.

-Is there anything else that would be helpful to know?
    * With our daughter I stuck to every 3 hours until the milk ran out or for 20 mins. (Whichever took longer) even during nights for a couple months. Then I cut the nights to 4 hour spacing. It would have been something like this. Pump at 7am 10am 1pm 4pm 7pm 11pm 3am 7am but then I'd just start the 3 hour schedule again. I never went longer than 4 houses because I didn't want to lose any supply. I was told that a nursing baby is far more efficient than even the best pumps so I was very picky about pumping often to hopefully keep my body thinking I needed to make more milk. But I did that until I slowly cut back on the sessions so I could "wean" myself. With our son I didnt pump frequently enough and lost my supply.

I also would wait for the pump to get everything it could get and would then kind of squeeze/hand express with the pump still going because I could always get more out at the very end doing it that way. 

Also I made sure to give enough time for let down to occur before turning the suctioning up. And turn it up slowly and gradually, it definitely doesn't need it to be on the highest setting if its too painful, that will only end up hurting you and leaving your nipples bruised and sore. (Well much more sore than necessary)

And lastly as a side note, I don't work so I am able to stick to the routine, but I realize if you work you might not be able to pump that often. Aaaand, I never had any counseling on it so this is just purely from what I ended up with on my own judgement. It might sound awful to someone who found a better way to keep supply up and stretch the sessions out longer, I just couldn't do it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you so much @kswiger06, that was so incredibly helpful! I read through the pumping section on kellymom.com and highly recommend that as well!

My schedule is very similar to yours and I also combine milk. I will have to go back to work in a month, but I should be able to get in 2-3 sessions with my lunch break and being hands free with my pumping bra if I'm writing reports at my desk.