February 2017 Moms

The Boob Thread

Re: The Boob Thread

• How do you all sleep? My milk just came in so I'm pretty damn sore.
  • Ibuprofen helps a ton with the sore boobs too. Otherwise I sleep on my back if my boobs are too sore for side sleeping. I want to sleep on my belly so bad but boobs say otherwise. 
  • Loading the player...
  • FerForShortFerForShort member
    edited February 2017
    @Gretchypoo I second ibuprofen  I also used a lot of ice packs. It should go down in a day or two though. That initial engorgement was awful. 
  • Okay, stupid ftm question- this am I hand expressed a little to make it easier for LO to feed and my milk on the r was watery/white. On the l some of the milk was watery/white. some was thick/yellow. normal??
  • Okay, stupid ftm question- this am I hand expressed a little to make it easier for LO to feed and my milk on the r was watery/white. On the l some of the milk was watery/white. some was thick/yellow. normal??
    It sounds like the right is turning into milk while the left is still colostrum-y?
  • homemake said:
    Okay, stupid ftm question- this am I hand expressed a little to make it easier for LO to feed and my milk on the r was watery/white. On the l some of the milk was watery/white. some was thick/yellow. normal??
    It sounds like the right is turning into milk while the left is still colostrum-y?
    But some of the milk on the left was white and some was yellow (like one hole was white, one was yellow.) made me worry i had a small infection or something?
  • Also it can be darker if it has extra antibodies in it etc. so if you or baby are not feeling well the body produces more antibodies specific to what you're going through and it can make the breastmilk look more like colostrum. And hydration plays a part too. Basically there are a number of different reasons for varying breastmilk color but they aren't something to be concerned about. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thank you!! I thought so but, again, stupid FTM questions...
  • @Gretchypoo they aren't stupid questions! Bf can be so confusing sometimes! You're relying on your body to nourish your kid and can't always see what's going on/going in/ how much/how it changes etc. so it leads to a lot of questions. even after doing it twice for a year each I know I'll be questioning things again as baby and I establish our personal bf relationship. Seriously though bm is crazy in all it does though. Sometimes I see new facts and it totally blows my mind. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @SawyerRichardson  That was a shock for me as well.
  • No one ever told me that when you're feeding on one breast the other will be gushing like a fountain! I couldn't feel it and my H almost collapsed in laughter when he walked in the room earlier.
    Bahaha that happened to me as well the first few times. I've also squirted milk in my kid's eye when trying to latch her on.... she was not amused. :lol:
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • anyone else get chills/feverish with boob engorgement? I can't tell if I'm overdoing it / not eating or drinking enough or on the verge of mastitis. 
  • kirstynikolekirstynikole member
    edited February 2017
    @homemake  definitely have LO feed a lot off that one and also you can try a warm shower and massaging that breast if it's still painful. Hopefully it'll resolve before becoming full blown mastitis. 

Any other STM not experiencing the engorgement or crazy letdown? I remember with my first I could tell I suddenly became engorged and I often would spray milk when DS started feeding. This go around my milk came in on day three and is comfortable without any of the spraying. Did I somehow just luck out or could it be because I was nursing DS1 into the first two months of this pregnancy?? 
  • @kirstynikole my boobs DEFINITELY adjusted way faster this time and I hadn't nursed in like 18 months
  • homemake said:
    anyone else get chills/feverish with boob engorgement? I can't tell if I'm overdoing it / not eating or drinking enough or on the verge of mastitis. 
    I will say, when I get engorged I get fluish feeling. No actual fever or anything but I just generally feel shitty. It goes away though as soon as i empty out. 
  • @PerraSucia I was wondering if it was a sort of "muscle memory". The Human body continues to amaze me! 
  • homemake said:
    anyone else get chills/feverish with boob engorgement? I can't tell if I'm overdoing it / not eating or drinking enough or on the verge of mastitis. 
    I will say, when I get engorged I get fluish feeling. No actual fever or anything but I just generally feel shitty. It goes away though as soon as i empty out. 
    I think that's what I'm experiencing too! I felt a lot better today because they weren't as painfully engorged but whenever it got closer to the next feed I started feeling fluish. 
  • @kirstynikole same as @PerraSucia ... no engorgement for my second and now my third. This has been the easiest adjustment to breastfeeding to date - other than a bit of pain when he first latches still, I've adjusted a lot faster this time around, and it's been almost two years since I stopped nursing my second.
  • First, I love that ours is called the boob thread. Go Febuladies.

I hadn't seen anyone mention this, so I figured I'd say that cabbage kept me sane during the 2 days I had crazy engorgement. I engorged literally into my armpits; it looked like I had cleverly stored a golf ball under my left arm. Plus, it was freaking hilarious to have my husband lay cabbage leaves (minus the spine) on my boobs (minus the nipples). We kept them in a ziploc in the fridge with maybe a 1/2 tablespoon of water, threw them in the freezer for about 10 minutes, and then applied them for maybe 15 or 20 minutes. You can stuff them in a bra too, for mobility and fashion accessorizing ;)  
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Two thoughts right now.  Oooowwwwww!  Little one has a crappy latch and wants to be on the boob constantly in the hospital in spurts.   Please let my milk, and the lactation consultant come tomorrow. 

Second,  my boobs do seem to have grown 3 sizes since birth.  That's without engorgement.  My nursing tanks are too small,  and the bras I was thinking would work are too tight.   Where did any of you bustier nursing or pumping moms find your nursing bras or tanks? 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • So, 8 days PP, I am not experiencing any of this engorgement everyone talks about.  I get a little sore when I haven't nursed or pumped in a while, but that's about it.  My supply took forever to come in, and I'm still lagging behind Baby J's needs.  I'm wondering if there might be a connection there.  I'm seeing a LC next week and will definitely bring this up, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears.
  • @Partyof6?, theybarent cheap but the only nursing tanks that have worked for me are glamourmom full busy tank.  I also just ordered a variety of nursing bras from Nordstrom since they have free shipping and returns.  If you have a local store I would recommend going in to get measures though.  I had a good idea what size I was before I ordered.  Otherwise I just got some tanks that clip onto your nursing bra called undercover mama.  I am loving them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can anyone recommend a good nursing gown to sleep in? 3 weeks into nursing and I *just* started leaking a lot, but wearing my maternity/nursing bras makes my nipples want to kill me by morning, like they get super smooshed. My nursing tanks get uncomfy with all the different layers suffocating my side boob, I'm at a loss. I miss sleeping topless already! Does anyone just sleep on a towel or thick pad and that's been working?
  • yogadevil said:
    Can anyone recommend a good nursing gown to sleep in? 3 weeks into nursing and I *just* started leaking a lot, but wearing my maternity/nursing bras makes my nipples want to kill me by morning, like they get super smooshed. My nursing tanks get uncomfy with all the different layers suffocating my side boob, I'm at a loss. I miss sleeping topless already! Does anyone just sleep on a towel or thick pad and that's been working?
    I bought this at Target- have 2. I've been leaking a ton so I just shove a towel in there bc breast pads aren't cutting it! I labored in it and wore it in the hospital too. my only issue is i have to wear it with a sweatshirt bc I get cold 

• @Gretchypoo oh I like that one! Does it have pretty easy access to the boobs?
  • @yogadevil I'm loving this one off amazon.

Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • yogadevil said:
    @Gretchypoo oh I like that one! Does it have pretty easy access to the boobs?
    Yes! i just slip it down. bam! boobs!
  • @scottipino, how do the undercover mama tanks run? That's what I need!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Starfish113, they have a sizing chart online.  I am a small prepregnancy and usually end up buying all mediums by the end.  I ordered a small and medium to try and they both fit-  just a difference in how tight they are.  They are nice and long too.

• So weird funfact: I have Braille nipples or whatever they're called by not dudes in the 40 year old virgin and the little bumps on my areola lose drops of milk too!
  • So weird funfact: I have Braille nipples or whatever they're called by not dudes in the 40 year old virgin and the little bumps on my areola lose drops of milk too!
    Me too!
    Me too. Is it uncommon?
  • @sadiec92 mani nursed my first for 18 months and NEVER noticed it before
  • Anyone else have a lazy eater? My LO often takes an hour to nurse. I'm really hoping she becomes more efficient soon
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14