May 2017 Moms

UO 1/19

Any crazy UO this week?

Re: UO 1/19

• Ok, I'll go, my UO- I find maternity pants ridiculously uncomfortable. They always slide down and bunch up my underwear, and they're just the worst. 
  • Squirtgun said:
    Ok, I'll go, my UO- I find maternity pants ridiculously uncomfortable. They always slide down and bunch up my underwear, and they're just the worst. 
    I hate the full belly panel pants. Why would I want an elastic band over my belly? Especially towards the end when I can't breathe anyways because there are feet in my lungs! 

But seriously, you should try the new side panel maternity pants from Target. I love love love them. It's like regular jeans! They even button and zip! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate winter. I hate jackets/boots/scarves/long sleeves/etc. I hate snow/ice/rainy season. Bring me 100° days and summer! I'd rather be sweating in a tank top and shorts. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • @h&pmomma precisely why I moved from Iowa to SoCal! 
  • @h&pmomma: I don't adore winter here in Mass, but playing devil's advocate, I much prefer winter to summer. In the cold, you can always warm up: Put on a sweater, cuddle in a blanket, have a hot drink, do some pushups... But when you're sweltering, there's zero relief! All you can do is sit around, not moving, hiding in the A/C!
  • erinh2005 said:
    @h&pmomma precisely why I moved from Iowa to SoCal! 
    I did the opposite, moved from Arizona to Washington :confounded:
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14

• SKZW said:
    @h&pmomma: I don't adore winter here in Mass, but playing devil's advocate, I much prefer winter to summer. In the cold, you can always warm up: Put on a sweater, cuddle in a blanket, have a hot drink, do some pushups... But when you're sweltering, there's zero relief! All you can do is sit around, not moving, hiding in the A/C!
    See, that's exactly why I hate winter. I don't want to worry about putting on a jacket or scarf or bundling my kids up just to go to the store! In the summer, there's no worry about putting a jacket on, taking it off before the car seat, putting in back when you get to the place and then having to lug around the jacket inside because the heaters on. 

In the summer, you stay in the shade/pool/inside and you wear one layer! It's just so much simpler!  
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • I can tell you've given a lot of thought to the current role of jackets in our lives, haha  ;)
  • SKZW said:
    I can tell you've given a lot of thought to the current role of jackets in our lives, haha  ;)
    I HATE it. Lol But I think because I didn't really grow up with the multiple layers or winter temps below 50° and now that I have to bundle my kids up it's just annoying and time consuming! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • @Louise_Belcher - Excel is the devil. It ruined my life last week. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• @louisebelcher I love excel too! this morning I was working on a spreadsheet (not work related)

hate full panel maternity pants and the cold weather. Mainly I dislike driving in the snow/ice, it stresses me out.

• My full panels won't stay up very well yet. They're driving me nuts. And my regular jeans are too uncomfortable when buttoned. I've started wearing only leggings. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • @kayemjay2 It seems like most have your feeling toward Excel. Wish I would have been there to help! 

@h&pmomma What is not to love about chasing down toddlers trying to force their little hands into mittens, that will only be on until you get them into the car and promptly will turn into projectiles? Fun times!
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited January 2017
    @Louise_Belcher I specifically love the "spread your fingers! No not two fingers in one spot! Move that finger! Keep your hand still!" Toddler/preschool mittens are evil. 
    Screw it, put your hands in your pockets if they are cold! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • My UO is that so far, I'm not minding the sex (boy or girl) comments. Every time I tell someone we are having a boy, they say "How cool. You'll have one of each!"  Yes. That is cool. It's cool that I could have had 2 DDs too, which I think they'd say if that were the case. And its definitely the health of the kid that's most important. But I'm not offended that ppl say that. I think they are just looking for something to celebrate either way. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • SquirtgunSquirtgun member
    edited January 2017
    @kayemjay2 I feel you on that- I always got the same thing about two girls- "oh you'll have your hands full" "oh, just wait until they're teenagers!" "Wow! Two girls! That's a lot of estrogen!" The best one, though "oh, she won't like being a big sister." Ok, random stranger, that's perfect. Thanks. 

now that #3 is a boy it's all "oh, that's great! Now you'll have both!" "Oh, good, now you don't have to have more!"  "Oh, I'm glad this one's not a girl too!" 

Um... Ok then. My brother has 5 girls, and I'd be thrilled with 5 girls too!  I'm thrilled with the three I've got now, but I'd be just as happy if he were a girl! 
  • @Kipperoo yes yes yes on the birth viewpoint. Also based on the toddler crying thread I think we have the exact same kid. You're living my life. 

May '17 labor memes
  • I'm tired of hearing how it's "perfect " I'm having a girl after a boy. It's really insane 
  • @Louise_Belcher - I almost retracted my love tit when I read the rest of your post. I left it, because I like you and the gif/sentiment behind the gif is great. Sex and the City (the show) was fantastic. Sex and the City (the movie, especially the second one) = atrocious. 
    *formerly kayemjay*

• @Kipperoo yes yes yes on the birth viewpoint. Also based on the toddler crying thread I think we have the exact same kid. You're living my life. 
    Twinners! It's good to know I'm not always alone in my cynical bubble ruled by a toddler dictator with rules that defy logic...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Birth is definitely a medical event IMO. So many things could go wrong. Same with an appendectomy, I wouldn't do that at home either, as so many things could go wrong. I totally see how childbirth is more 'natural' than an appendectomy, absolutely. But the risk of what could go wrong is where the 'medical event' ultimately exists for me. So for that, I'm Team Hospital. That's after having almost been Team Dining Room with DD. I did NOT want to deliver anywhere but at the hospital. For those that wish to deliver at home, just like everyone else who goes to a medical facility, I hope your birth experience is what you wish it to be and all are happy and healthy.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • @Squirtgun I love maternity pants! and the full belly are amazing! its like sweatpants all day every day!

@Louise_Belcher excel is my LYFE! I love it!!! I'm a financial analyst so I work in it all day every day.

@Kipperoo yes birth = medical procedure.... literally minutes after my DD was born the doctor looked at me and said "and that is why you do not have home births anymore" we would have both been dead! Now I know that is not the case every time, but why take that chance just to be able to say you had a "natural" birth.

My UO... I don't think TV time is bad for kids. We have something playing in the background all the time. Sometimes DD sits and watches, sometimes she is in her room, sometimes shes running around like a crazy person. We also watch part of a movie almost every night to wind down for bed. No shame!! If DD had any kind of issues with learning or attention it would be differnet, but she is a perfectly happy, smart toddler who has been exposed to the death tube her whole life :D
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• This may or may not be a UO depending on the crowd, but I definitely judge parents who spank their children. In my opinion, it has no positive impact and tons of negative ones. I generally try to take a "you do what you feel is best for your family" approach to parenting styles, but this is just not one I can be neutral about. 
    *formerly kayemjay*

• slssls member
    Apparently an actual UO is that childbirth is not a medical event. I would also not consider pooping a medical event, but I have taken medications for it and been to a doctor for constipation and hemorrhoids.

Sounds like it's semantics, though, so I'm not really interested in arguing. My main purpose in saying it in the other thread is because I went from team "cut the baby out of me / scared to death of every single thing about it / borderline tokophobic" to team "OK, TV and pop culture is wrong, I'm able to get through this / it's not as bad as it's been made to seem."

Medical event or not, our culture pumps so much misinformation regarding childbirth into us as young women that it's appalling.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • @kayemjay2 Haha! I saw the second movie in the theater because of friends. It was painful. I would say maybe the show wasn't for me because it started when I was so young and I never jumped on the train, but I think we might be the same age lol
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @beachmommy2b I agree with you about the TV, it seems to be on pretty frequently at my house and I don't think its that big of a deal. I was just talking with my husband the other day about what my son says when he wakes up first thing in the morning.. he's usually saying some of his colors, asking for ice cream, or saying Elsa because he wants to watch Frozen. He likes to snuggle and watch his movies for about 15-20 minutes in the morning when he wakes up and before he goes to bed.