November 2016 Moms

All Things Sick Baby Related

123457»

Re: All Things Sick Baby Related

• I feel for you @ZoeFer! No fever here but we're fighting a nasty cold. It's the worst when LO is sick! Hoping things get better fast for you! 
  • ZoeFerZoeFer member
    thank you all for the messages. she is finally feeling better tonight, she was rolling around in our bed singing and giggling. it is great to hear . her temp is still higher than 100 but mostly around 101. DH will stay up tonight and keep an eye on her fever. it was a tiring and stressful day for me. i cant believe how quickly their temp can raise! 
    @SandNStarsNJ i am using showers and wet towels to cool her head and body down. did the nurse suggest something instead if cold compress?
  • Loading the player...
  • ZoeFer said:
    snip
    @SandNStarsNJ i am using showers and wet towels to cool her head and body down. did the nurse suggest something instead if cold compress?
    Room temperature compresses, not cold. That's what they did at the hospital too.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited June 2017
    I don't think S is sick but she was running a slight fever. She was acting normal when I was with her after work. H did mention she seemed sleepier than normal today. I just gave her some Tylenol at bed time. Am I suppose to wake her throughout the night to check her temp?  She's never had a fever at nighttime so I'm not sure what to do. Could be teething, she was chewing on her hand a bit. 
  • I don't think S is sick but she was running a slight fever. She was acting normal when I was with her after work. H did mention she seemed sleepier than normal today. I just gave her some Tylenol at bed time. Am I suppose to wake her throughout the night to check her temp?  She's never had a fever at nighttime so I'm not sure what to do. Could be teething, she was chewing on her hand a bit. 
    Don't wake her. If she's uncomfortable, she'll wake on her own. You can always simply feel her forehead if you need to check, keeping in mind she will run a touch warm when sleeping. FX that all is well!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    Ditto don't wake her since it has just been a low one 
  • ZoeFerZoeFer member
    I think L had roseola, her fever broke at the end of the third day and she started to have some rash at her back the next day. She s still little fussy and sleepy but mostly okay. Did any of you notice that they are more fussy when you are around and show their happier face to other people ? 
    @Ladybug2821 how is your LO now ? We did not wake her up unless her temp went to 103, or raising quickly so we gave her tylenol and a bath. otherwise i think they heal better if they rest more.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    ZoeFer said:
    I think L had roseola, her fever broke at the end of the third day and she started to have some rash at her back the next day. She s still little fussy and sleepy but mostly okay. Did any of you notice that they are more fussy when you are around and show their happier face to other people ? 

Oh yea LO can definitely play me like a fiddle. Although at the same time on days when it is just me and him doing our thing he is good but have my parents visit or go to their house and it will be more meltdowns. 
  • @zoefer S is great. She was completely fine the next day. She is also going through leap 6. I think that is the number we are on, which could've had something to do with her being so sleepy all day.  Not sure what the fever was from though.  S acts more fussy with H than she does with me. He always says she's taking advantage of him. 
  • ZoeFer said:
    @Ladybug2821 how is your LO now ? We did not wake her up unless her temp went to 103, or raising quickly so we gave her tylenol and a bath. otherwise i think they heal better if they rest more.
    That's totally roseola. The upside? She's now got the immunity and won't get it again!
  • Ugh, 9 cases and possibly more of whooping cough in the next county over. First it was mumps right after S was born and the flu hit our area hard (thankfully we had shots and didn't get it) now it's Whooping cough. Why don't people vaccinate? It just creates panic and worry about dangerous illnesses that don't need to happen. But here we go again. Just when I thought it was safe to go out into the public without worrying what my kids touch. 
  • Cue the mom freak out again. I'm worried because LO has been having crying fits today. Background - he pretty much doesn't cry. If he cries he's really hungry, hurt, or really pissed off. All crying is short lived. He's pretty easily consoled. Today, he has had crying fits where nursing and the pacifier don't help, and he cries for awhile before stopping. (I'm bad at measuring time in those moments, if it happens again I need to actually look at the clock because they feel like eternity.) 

First one was when I was buckling him into the car seat after grocery shopping. He cried like I pinched him, and then cried most of the way home. Cried again when I laid him down to change his diaper and was peeing while crying. Then napped and woke up from his nap crying hard. About 20 minutes later crying hard and I checked his diaper - peeing again while crying. Later had another fit, again peeing when checked. Gave him a bath with baking soda to help with any inflammation and he peed a bunch in the bath, again fussing each time. Am I just being paranoid, or does this sound like a UTI? Can't tell if the peeing is from crying so hard, or if he is crying from pain while peeing. His penis was a little red last week for a day or two, but looked better over the weekend. Ugh, I feel so bad for him. But now that he peed a bunch he's acting like his normal self. I hate second guessing myself, and I hate that H is at work and can't help me make decisions. I also hate that there is not easy care options after hours. 
  • The crying and peeing could be related or completely coincidental; there's no real way to know without a urine test. I would monitor the pee/cry relationship and give baking soda baths every couple of hours to be on the safe side. We had an issue like this and it turned out to be massive constipation. Good luck, mama!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    I have no idea just hugs and good luck. Hope it was just a weird coincidence and he was just peeing a lot at those moments 
  • m6aguam6agua member
    @desoky01 Probably wouldn't hurt to call/message his doctor just to be sure.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• kvrunskvruns member
    B just projectile vomited all over the back of my car (and himself and the car seat). Ugh. Guess it's good it was in the driveway and not on the carpet 
  • m6aguam6agua member
    @kvruns oh no!

so my LO is sick for the first time I think. Her temp was up yesterday to 99.0 but went back down on its own in a very short time. Tonight she was not going to sleep and was fussy. Decided to take her temp again and it's 99.1. She has a diaper rash too. She seems completely fine during the day. I'm wondering if she is actually sick or if it's teething. I try to look and I don't see or feel any teeth about to come out. My SIL last week said she is teething and that her top gums look like the teeth are pushing down on them. She is a dental hygienist.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua diaper rashes and very low grade fevers are common signs of teething.  FX that's what it is!

@kvruns Was it a one-off sick thing? How's LO holding up?
  • m6aguam6agua member
    @SandNStarsNJ I'm thinking so. She just woke up a bit ago and no fever but was inconsolable. Decided to give her some Tylenol for pain.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• kvrunskvruns member
    @SandNStarsNJ he seemed normal last night afterward and no MOTN waking so that's good. I took his temp and it was fine so im not sure what is up. Hopefully a one off thing 
  • I've got a baby with thick green slime for buggers today. Any suggestions to help alleviate at least the thickness? Steamy room was no help and the snot syringe gets some out under duress, but then it's just replaced by more.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    I just let it ride. I do notice the snot sucker makes him sneeze which gets more out but it comes back. Same with being on his belly it comes out more 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    So Bs diaper wasn't super wet after 12 hours sleep. I am guessing he has some dehydration from throwing up. Just not sure what to do except feed ? Is he too young for pedialyte stuff 
  • @kvruns I'd just keep giving him bottles to keep him hydrated. There have been a few times my LO woke up with a dry diaper and I think he just held it all night because he wasn't sick or anything.
    on another note I had a similar experience yesterday with my LO throwing up. Daycare actually called me to come get him because he threw up twice after his nap. When I got there he was dry heaving into a sink, and when we got home he did it once more. After that I figured I should give him a bottle to keep him hydrated and it's like he magically got better. No more throwing up, happy, active, slept through the night. So weird! I'm confused as to what made him sick for a total of 1 hour that would just go away.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @rspalding001 glad he seems ok today! 
    Mine got sent home almost 2 weeks ago for throwing up and diarrhea- I admit I didn't believe them in the throwing up but after what I saw last night I feel bad doubting them!
  • @kvruns, I believe you can give 2 oz of unflavored pedialyte. A had a 24 hour bug a few weeks ago and the pediatrician recommended the 2 oz of pedialyte and A loved it.
  • @SandNStarsNJ have you tried saline? I put some in and then use the sucker and it seems to help clear things up a bit. But yes, it often just ends up re-filling up. 
  • @SandNStarsNJ we are huge fans of the hydrasense. I'm sure there's the same or an equalivent in the states. It's basically saline water like @desoky01 mentioned but this one is my fav (and we've tried a few) because it has a cap that comes off to be washed and it's literally a mist. So the little part goes near their nose and it just mists up and then his nose runs and clears! 
    I find the saline water stuff that you squirt just makes him gag (makes sense.. makes my husband gag too because it basically runs down the back of your throat). 

• @kvruns I'd just keep giving him bottles to keep him hydrated. There have been a few times my LO woke up with a dry diaper and I think he just held it all night because he wasn't sick or anything.
    on another note I had a similar experience yesterday with my LO throwing up. Daycare actually called me to come get him because he threw up twice after his nap. When I got there he was dry heaving into a sink, and when we got home he did it once more. After that I figured I should give him a bottle to keep him hydrated and it's like he magically got better. No more throwing up, happy, active, slept through the night. So weird! I'm confused as to what made him sick for a total of 1 hour that would just go away.
    Not to make you worry, but that's how we found out ODD had an intolerance to oatmeal. The first time we thought it was car sickness. Then after a few more times over the course of a few months we made the correlation that oatmeal was mixed in the food pouches, and just straight up baby oatmeal made her throw up until it was all out of her system. It could span an hour or three of just puking and dry heaving.
  • @camcbeth hmmm interesting. He had a pouch of cherries that was mixed with oats right before his nap. I wonder if that's what it was? I'll have to keep an eye out. He's had that ouch a few times before with no reaction so I'm not sure but it's worth keeping an eye out. Thanks!
  • camcbethcamcbeth member
    edited June 2017
    @rspalding001 hopefully it was nothing and it was a one time thing with your kiddo. It developed after half a box of oatmeal was used. I think she's grown out of it because I accidentally gave her an oatmeal cookie from the grocery and nothing happened. She's 4 now, but when I eat something that I don't want her to have, I say it has oats in it and she won't touch it. She hates throwing up. 
    ETA: her pediatrician didn't seem concerned when I brought it up. Just to say it's an intolerance not an allergy.