August 2017 Moms

Baby names!

Re: Baby names!

• @DeansGirl14 My husband just came up with it and I really liked it so I couldn't tell you it's roots. It could very well be something he just came up with.  
    Thanks for the input guys, it makes me feel a lot better. I really like it but it's just so close to a girls name it stresses me out. My DH says it's all about the spelling. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kodariah DH and I got deep into Irish baby's names and I was curious if Breklan was one of the ones DH had suggested and I turned down due to meaning (it wasn't, I was thinking of Becan, which means "small"). The only similar reference I could find to Breklan was the name Breck, which means "freckled", so Breklan is kind of a combo of Breck and Declan (meaning "full of goodness"). The meaning behind names is super importantly to me so I feel you can't come up with an official meaning, this combo isn't bad I guess. I would guess that Brecklyn might be the feminized form of Breck...

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• Nxy said:
    If someone called me Flabby Abbey I'd punch them in the face. 
    My siblings used to get punched regularly when they would call me Fatty Maddie as a joke haha so I agree 
  • mokay19 said:
    Nxy said:
    If someone called me Flabby Abbey I'd punch them in the face. 
    My siblings used to get punched regularly when they would call me Fatty Maddie as a joke haha so I agree 
    Ha ha ha. Thankfully that was not a name that was regularly used. But- you always have to think worst case scenario with naming kids IMO. Kids are cruel and will find anything. My brother called me spaghetti head (blonde curls) and it infuriated me. 

Abitude was was the one that bothered me the most though. " oh- Abbey is having an Abbitude"
  • kodariah said:
    Guys, =/ I've fallen in love with the name Breklan El for my little guy but when i looked it up everywhere came up with Brecklyn which is a girls name. Is Breklan to close? Does it sounds like a boys name?? 
    I've never heard of that name at all- what roots does it have, out of curiosity? But, to me, Breklan sounds like a boy's name. It rhymes with Declan at least, which is an Irish boy's name. Personally I think you're fine. 
    Oooooo I like Breclan with a C way better.
  • dinofreak said:
    kodariah said:
    Guys, =/ I've fallen in love with the name Breklan El for my little guy but when i looked it up everywhere came up with Brecklyn which is a girls name. Is Breklan to close? Does it sounds like a boys name?? 
    I've never heard of that name at all- what roots does it have, out of curiosity? But, to me, Breklan sounds like a boy's name. It rhymes with Declan at least, which is an Irish boy's name. Personally I think you're fine. 
    Oooooo I like Breclan with a C way better.
    Agreed. I was gonna say that too. 
  • So hubby and I seem to be in pretty different places when it comes to boys names! I like short, modern names like Lukas, Nico, Isaac and his suggestions have all been "old man" names like Archibald, Reginald, and Theodore (Theodore is the only one I can even see myself considering since it can be shortened to Theo). Anyone else struggling withh their partner on even finding a starting point for names?? 
  • @kodariah I honestly read Breklan and thought it was feminine so I assumed it was for a girl.  For some reason, it spelled Breclan (by @dinofreak) made me read it as "Brea-clan" which is also very feminine.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @CanadianChris I know a handful of people who named their boy Theo (not the formal Theodore).  Maybe that'll be your compromise?  But to answer your question, we've barely discussed names at all so we could be on separate pages as well.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @CanadianChris with my son, DH and I went back and forth for months to the point I never thought he'd have a name. Finally I printed out two copies of the top 2000(!) names from the social security website and we each sat down with a list and a highlighter. We went through and marked what names we liked and then I compared the lists. We only agreed on two names out of the entire 2000, but my son's name was one I absolutely loved and had no idea that he loved too until we did this exercise. This time around we were able to return to the other name we both agreed on but hadn't used.  
  • kodariahkodariah member
    edited April 2017
    @donehue that's so cool that you look in to name meanings!  meanings are kind of funny to me, my first name means friend or allie and my middle name means someone  untrustworthy or a foe. my DS's first name means shead town, and his middle name means cow shead. I just kinda have to laugh at them. 

@dinofreak i like it as Breclan better too but my DH it's stuck on the K and since i decided our DS's name I'm trying to let him have more of a say this time. 

• donehuedonehue member
    edited April 2017
    @kodariah those meanings are awesome  :D  I can understand how you would just give up on name meanings after that.

I think I've already said this a few months ago, but DD1 is Gemma Giuliana (precious gem and my mom is Juliana), DD2 is Aveline Silvana (from Gaelic Aibhlinn, meaning much wanted child as she was after 3 losses and Silvana is MIL) and this DS1 will likely be Callum Claudio. Callum was the only Gaelic boy name DH liked. It means Dove/Holy Spirit, which is fine, I guess. Anything is better than the middle name/FIL's name, which means "lame". Sigh. There is no escaping it as a middle name - I am lucky to be escaping it as a first name. 

-edit, bump ate my original post

• @CanadianChris Just trying to picture a baby named Reginald. You will have to dress him permanently in bow ties and/or crowns (jk - but the name sounds super regal). Theodore is very cute though! I like @taylormarie923 's suggestion of printing out a list and then comparing. Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm surprised by how many people have said they may use/are using Eleanor. Here I thought we were being old school! 
  • Flabby Abby!  :#  I am having a hard time with names for this girl! My husband likes Olivia which is cute but super popular
  • @TRA0816 I'm Livia. It's an ancient roman name. 
    https://nameberry.com/babyname/Livia
  • @livlew-2 I just met my first Livia a couple weeks ago. But she's only 7 mos old  :)

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm surprised by how many people have said they may use/are using Eleanor. Here I thought we were being old school! 
    The Ell names have become super popular in the past few years and Eleanor has become more common I think because of it.  It's a family name for us with connections on both sides so not something we were willing to bend on, but I will be using the nick name Nora instead of Ella. Give her some individuality when she gets to school lol
    The Ell names have become super popular in the past few years and Eleanor has become more common I think because of it.  It's a family name for us with connections on both sides so not something we were willing to bend on, but I will be using the nick name Nora instead of Ella. Give her some individuality when she gets to school lol
    The only reason it was even on our radar is because we love the show The Royals on E! network and the princess is named Eleanor. With the British accent it sounds like "Elenah" which is so pretty!  She, however, goes by Len or Lennie. While DH does not like the Elle/Ella/Ellie nicknames, and Nora is taken by at least two friends I have, Len might work. But DH is also on the anti-nickname train anyway.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh my god, I love Lennie.  My H and mom are already calling her Ellie but I might push Len/Lennie.  Of course the other twin is Ben so Ben and Len may not work.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Anyone feel like they decided on a name too easily? DH and I both loved this one girl's name and haven't discussed it since. It seems too easy! Maybe I should research again to make sure it's "the one"...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • caity024caity024 member
    edited April 2017
    @secicc12 my brother is Reginald II, which is even more ridiculous.  On top of that, he's fairly hippie/hipster-ish and exactly the opposite of his name's perceived persona.  He goes by Reg, but I've heard a lot of people mispronounce it, as in reg-ular.  

ETA: I feel lucky that I got off with Caitlin, although I go by Caity, which ALWAYS gets spelled wrong.

Pregnancy Ticker
    We picked it because it's a derivative of helen which is DH's grandmother and her middle name is her late grandmothers name. We already call her ellie 
  • No matter how unique you think your baby's name is, someone else is using it. The old school name thing is a trend right now.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No matter how unique you think your baby's name is, someone else is using it. The old school name thing is a trend right now.
    It sure is. I know two Alices, two Celestes, and a Penelope. I'm down with classic and old fashioned. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NxyNxy member
    No matter how unique you think your baby's name is, someone else is using it. The old school name thing is a trend right now.

I don't understand why anyone would be surprised Eleanor is a popular name it's in the top 100
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @bumpybump
    When I was very young and reading a lot, I absolutely thought it was "peen-a-lope." I never have known anyone named Penelope and didn't hear it on TV so, agree, reading it with the wrong pronunciation still makes me giggle! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nxy said:
    No matter how unique you think your baby's name is, someone else is using it. The old school name thing is a trend right now.

I don't understand why anyone would be surprised Eleanor is a popular name it's in the top 100
    I steered clear of top 100 names list and picked a name I liked so that could be where the surprise came from. 
  • NxyNxy member
    @cmmiller531 I assumed everyone goes to see how popular their name choice is. A name being on the top 100 wouldn't change my mind about it but I get curious about the names popularity. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just looked up Eleanor out of curiosity and am blown away that it doesn't have a meaning! Me and my anthroponymy are going to go crawl in a corner now.  :)

Nameberry does say that Eleanor was #60 in the US in 2015 and it is #17 in popularity on their website thus far in 2017. I love the nickname of Nell that they suggest - haven't heard that one on here yet!

• Eleanor means bright, shining light in greek. @Nxy I didn't want to find it on there lol not that it makes me want to change her name but it's a bummer to hear how popular it is. I'm glad it's classic though and not "trendy" as far as invented spelling or invented out of the game boggle. 
  • I also assumed that everyone at least looked at the top 100 name list at some time when picking a name. Learned that that is not the case when a HS classmate complained about how her kids "unique" top 20 names were everywhere. 

My name is classic case of Grandmoms name becoming popular again. When I was born it was in the high 400's on the social security name list and the only other person I knew with the name was a solid 50 years older than me. It just broke the top 100's recently.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care if the name we pick is popular. If I like it...ill use it (if not vetoed by the hubby)

There were 3 girls in my class of 12 that had my name (including me) and it didn't bother me at all.
  • I'm having a hard enough time choosing a name  to rule out any names because they are popular. This kid will be lucky if he has a name at all the way things are going,  Baby Boy is sounding like a pretty good name these days
  • We liked the name Adaline, but when I texted it to my mom she asked "Lynn" or "Line"? And we didn't want her to have that question or have to correct anyone, so we went with Adalind. We first heard it on Grimm and loved it. 
  • DD is Eliana Mia (nn Ellie) and we are expecting another girl. I really love the name Emilia Nora (nn Emmie or Millie), but I am worried that the nicknames are too similar and that the actual names are too similar as well. What do you guys think? Any recommendations? We like names that are easy to pronounce in Spanish and prefer Hebrew origin. 
  • We had two babies named Penelope in breastfeeding group and I had to bite my lip seeing the disappointment in both parents' faces when they realized it wasn't the most original name ever. 
  • and_peggyand_peggy member
    edited April 2017
    @nimmunogirl what about Camille or Camilla? You could still use Millie as a nn. Emilia is pretty but it might be confusing for others to distinguish between the two because they're similar. Or use the name Lia for the nickname with Emilia.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19