February 2017 Moms

Ask a STM December edition

Re: Ask a STM December edition

• I used it at the periodontist for gum surgery and I felt like wine/champage buzzed.   Could add a little excitement to everyone's labor ;)
  • My parents' dog Raven (which is basically me and H's dog...H is her favorite person and we see her at least 2-3+ times a week) is a boxer/beagle mix and she is awesome! Raven definitely has a personality lol but she has been surprisingly amazing with DD. When we are over at my parents, the first thing Raven does is check the PnP to make sure DD is there and if someone is snuggling with DD, Raven will snuggle right up next to that person lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess it was explained incorrectly to me or I misunderstood about it crossing the placenta, but it seems like it stops affecting the baby as soon as you pull the mask away. I will say that it helped me get through transition and I felt great right after delivery, was up within 15 minutes and any effects of the nitrous were gone within seconds of stopping use. It's an interesting alternative for sure, but I could see where it wouldn't be for everyone. 
  • Thanks for the link, @MissMerciBeaucoup I'm gonna do some more research and bring it up again...
  • Our dogs go in the way back. We fold their crates and put them in their dog beds on top for long trips. If we had a car we'd be screwed anyway since we have 3 kids (at the moment) but we have one of those gate things which I hope would keep them back there in the event of a crash?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @MommaBean my understanding is that it goes to the baby (like everything else) but it is used in such small doses that it doesn't have the same effects as, say, an epidural would. 

I've heard great things about it but my doula said some women said it made them feel kinda loopy and detached from their birth. 

My midwives are working to get it at their birth center and some of the hospitals here are using it. I think it is probably a useful tool but obviously not for everyone.
  • @Gretchypoo an epidural doesn't cross the placenta

You make a good point though about the hospitals -- even if my doc were convinced, it's probably not even an option at the hospital. I had an epi with DS and it was fine so idk why I'm feeling so squeamish about it this time!
  • From what I understand, as you apply the mask it takes a a few seconds to a minute to kick in, and as soon as you stop breathing it, a minute to wear off.  So it's not at all long lasting for you like an epi or other IV drugs, so if you're worried about feeling out of it or unable to feel enough-you don't have to commit. You don't like the feeling it gives you, just pop the mask off and it goes away.  But-just takes the slight edge off, not really a "pain killer" 

My birth center is the only one in the state that offers it/like PP said, it's not widely used in the US, but more birth centers/hospitals are finally bringing it around. 
  • Uuummmmm epidurals don't affect the babies in any way. 
  • I thought everything crossed the placenta just a little? 

me <---obviously not a medical professional 

sorry!
  • There hasn't been enough research to determine how much baby is effected by an epidural--all I saw was babies are "said to be" more likely having difficulty breastfeeding aka: more drowsy-and some other possible side effects, but again: not proven with research.

the drug has to enter moms bloodstream, so baby will get some too. 
  • Ok, I'll rephrase. 
    There has been no proven effect on a baby after an epidural. 
  • Very little medication enters the mother's bloodstream with an epidural as it is injected into the epidural space  - that's why they're so popular for child birth. As opposed to intravenous or inhaled pain relievers that work systemically through the bloodstream. 
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the info @fourPsinapod :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital said the kids would be okay but wonder if that will change if it's a week by week basis. 
  • Our hospital says no kids under the age of 12 except for siblings
  • @fourPsinapod I've been wondering if they were gonna start instituting those as time went on. Thanks for the update! Gonna have to ask that next time I go in.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • As of last week, no flu ban yet at our hospital.   Fingers crossed! 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No flu bans here yet either.  Hoping it stays that way for a little longer, though #2 has a fever right now anyway.  Let's play a STM game.  What "classic" labor thing that gets discussed often have you never experienced?
    #1- Never lost a mucous plug
    #2- Never had to figure out when to go to the hospital with contractions during the real deal- first and last were inductions, second started with my water breaking 
    #3- Never tried any of the old wives tales to try to get labor started, no RRL tea, no primrose whatever, no spicy food, etc

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @scottipino same for all 3 for me but just one induction. I went in at 38 weeks for a regular appt and they didn't let me leave. 
  • Same on all three. I just had an induction for pre-e with my first. 

I also never experienced BH. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing that with this LO or not, cause I have pain that comes and goes, but I'm unable to identify it. 
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited January 2017
    @scottipino
    1. I've never had my water break on its own
    2. I've never experienced false labor, when it was go time, it was seriously go time.
    3. I've never gone out of my way to try and start labor either, honestly I don't think the old wives tales would really matter but I could be wrong lol

ETA it's strange to me all you above didn't lose your mucus plug because I did about 2 days before going into labor with both my kids. I was kind of planning on that happening again so I'd have a good idea of when to expect LO lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Same for all 3! 
  • I am laughing right now-  woke up with a slow leak of fluid overnight and once I finally woke my husband up and got up to get ready I lost my mucous plug.  Don't worry no pictures!  Each pregnancy/labor is different!
    Eek ! Are you off to the hospital?
  • Ahhh exciting scottipino! Good luck!!

I lost my mucous plug with DD, and I also lost it this time. But both times it was early and weeks before I went into labor. I know it can regenerate too! My water broke while I was pushing. And I made labor cookies the day I went into labor :)
  • 1) I have never gone into labor on my own. 1 induction and 1 scheduled c-section. 
    2) I haven't given birth vaginally. 
  • 1) Also never went into labor on my own. 1 induction when DD was 2 weeks late and 1 c section scheduled when water broke at 31+5. 
    2) no idea if I lost my mucus plug-if I did, I sure didn't notice/see it. 
    3) The only thing I did to try to initiate labor with my overdue baby was walking. We always eat spicy food. Sex that late in pregnancy was NOT comfortable or appealing to me at the time so that wasn't an option to try either. 
  • Soon to be STM asking other STM+s if this happened with your kids - my toddler has been having some serious getting to sleep regression in the past 3 weeks even now before the baby is born. She used to go to bed on her own without issue and now it's an hour or
    longer fight every night for her just to fall asleep. She is begging for attention and while I could sit and pat her and lay with her all night, I know it's not realistic for when the new baby comes. She refuses to fall asleep and I end up pulling my hair out at how to help her relax and get to bed like normal. I am exhausted and I don't know how I'm going to handle it when I have this going on plus a newborn. 
  • @fourPsinapod I always had to lay with our daughter for a short period of time... like 10 minutes. I slowly shortened it, but I did it for years. (I still go into their rooms at bedtime and give my kids a hug and kiss and they are 7 and 10) but have you tried to use something like a quiet radio in there? I'm not sure that it will help or be a distraction. Or have you tried to tell her you'll read a short story if she'll stay in bed? I used to tell the kids I'd read a book if they were really good and go to sleep after. It was always the same cardboard book that took 2 minutes to read lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @fourPsinapod, mine aren't toddlers (they're 4 and 6) but are doing the same exactly what you describe. This started up prior to our dogs death last week and even prior to the recent move to this place. They were both always so good about going right to sleep, nowadays, not so much. It's like they can sense the impending arrival of the new baby or something. I had H take over bedtime a while ago once he stopped working nights/traveling for work. Can your H help you with bedtime for her or no? I stil do all the getting ready like bath, brushing teeth etc but he puts them to bed now. Like @kswiger06 said, music can be helpful or even the white noise from a fan or something. Same thing we don't really switch it up, it's the same book that's read or the same few songs that are sung. We also started giving them glow sticks or other things that light up. They each have their own mini kids version of a flashlight too. Your daughter might be too young for this stuff though if it will end up being a choking hazard. I still need to remind my DD at 4 to stop putting things in her mouth. How old is your DD? I'm sorry you're dealing with it I know it's exhausting. DS was just shy of 2 when DD was born and on the nights I couldn't get them both to sleep was so tough, but no matter what, it's like you just manage to find a way to push through and keep going. Will they be sharing a room? 
  • kswiger06 said:
    @fourPsinapod I always had to lay with our daughter for a short period of time... like 10 minutes. I slowly shortened it, but I did it for years. (I still go into their rooms at bedtime and give my kids a hug and kiss and they are 7 and 10) but have you tried to use something like a quiet radio in there? I'm not sure that it will help or be a distraction. Or have you tried to tell her you'll read a short story if she'll stay in bed? I used to tell the kids I'd read a book if they were really good and go to sleep after. It was always the same cardboard book that took 2 minutes to read lol.
    We have a sound machine in there and we do nightly books too :( she almost gets all the way to sleep and then starts busting out in song or yelling that she "needs us" because her blanket is just 3 inches off to the left. She used to be so independent about bedtime but it's like she's feeding off of the idea that soon we will have another baby to put to bed and she wants to take up all the time she can. 
  • Jab3 said:
    @fourPsinapod, mine aren't toddlers (they're 4 and 6) but are doing the same exactly what you describe. This started up prior to our dogs death last week and even prior to the recent move to this place. They were both always so good about going right to sleep, nowadays, not so much. It's like they can sense the impending arrival of the new baby or something. I had H take over bedtime a while ago once he stopped working nights/traveling for work. Can your H help you with bedtime for her or no? I stil do all the getting ready like bath, brushing teeth etc but he puts them to bed now. Like @kswiger06 said, music can be helpful or even the white noise from a fan or something. Same thing we don't really switch it up, it's the same book that's read or the same few songs that are sung. We also started giving them glow sticks or other things that light up. They each have their own mini kids version of a flashlight too. Your daughter might be too young for this stuff though if it will end up being a choking hazard. I still need to remind my DD at 4 to stop putting things in her mouth. How old is your DD? I'm sorry you're dealing with it I know it's exhausting. DS was just shy of 2 when DD was born and on the nights I couldn't get them both to sleep was so tough, but no matter what, it's like you just manage to find a way to push through and keep going. Will they be sharing a room? 
    DH is super helpful already and he does all the pre-bed activities (shower or bath, teeth brushing, dressing her, etc) because she insists that mom puts her to bed. I've almost contemplated leaving at night (going and driving around or to the store or something) so she is forced to have dad put her to bed. We used to be able to switch off every night until I got pregnant and then she became super mom dependent. She is 3 years old. She even used to let my mom put her to bed when she was in town but now she demands me. As flattering as it is and as much as I loves that she loves me, it's just going to be an issue when LO arrives :(
  • Soon to be STM asking other STM+s if this happened with your kids - my toddler has been having some serious getting to sleep regression in the past 3 weeks even now before the baby is born. She used to go to bed on her own without issue and now it's an hour or
    longer fight every night for her just to fall asleep. She is begging for attention and while I could sit and pat her and lay with her all night, I know it's not realistic for when the new baby comes. She refuses to fall asleep and I end up pulling my hair out at how to help her relax and get to bed like normal. I am exhausted and I don't know how I'm going to handle it when I have this going on plus a newborn. 
    Can you try laying with her for just a specific amount of time? I still lay with my 6 year old every night but she knows after our book is done she only gets 15 minutes. So if she's fidgeting and moving all around instead of falling asleep, i go downstairs and she has to fall asleep by herself. She freaks out when I do that, but it generally makes sure that she falls asleep in that time frame because she wants me!
  • @fourPsinapod that sounds like she's just in a rough patch. :( we didn't always get the kids to bed easily without a fight and on those nights, I'd put a baby gate up at their door and just let them yell and cry themselves until they got exhausted or fell asleep, then I'd move them into bed if they fell asleep on the floor. With DD I'd let her throw a fit for a few minutes, then I'd ask her if I came back to lay with her for a minute if she'd settle down and go to sleep. It worked most of the time on rough nights. Hopefully she snaps out of her funk for you. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    @fourPsinapod I always had to lay with our daughter for a short period of time... like 10 minutes. I slowly shortened it, but I did it for years. (I still go into their rooms at bedtime and give my kids a hug and kiss and they are 7 and 10) but have you tried to use something like a quiet radio in there? I'm not sure that it will help or be a distraction. Or have you tried to tell her you'll read a short story if she'll stay in bed? I used to tell the kids I'd read a book if they were really good and go to sleep after. It was always the same cardboard book that took 2 minutes to read lol.
    We have a sound machine in there and we do nightly books too :( she almost gets all the way to sleep and then starts busting out in song or yelling that she "needs us" because her blanket is just 3 inches off to the left. She used to be so independent about bedtime but it's like she's feeding off of the idea that soon we will have another baby to put to bed and she wants to take up all the time she can. 

My DD was doing something similar recently, but instead of putting up a fight at bedtime she was waking up 3-4 times a night and calling me in her room for things like fixing her blanket, turning on her nightlight, fetching certain stuffed animals from beside the bed, ect. All things she can/ would usually do on her own. This went on for like 2 weeks and I was getting so frustrated. She hasn't woken up or at least not woken me up since Friday night so I think she may be over it. I'm hoping your DD is just going through a little phase that will be over very soon! 
  • My kid goes through phases of getting up/ fighting bedtime. She just turned 3 right?