February 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM December edition

Re: Ask a STM December edition

• Options
    @Janefelicity Ugh, I feel your pain. My husband also does a ton of locum coverage, and I had him book off from Jan 1 for exactly that reason. If your husband is anything like mine, he sometimes forgets that he's allowed to have a life outside of medicine, and that his peers will totally understand things like "my baby is coming, gtg". Good luck this week! Hopefully both of us will have our babies by the end of the week :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So I really hate the feeling of huge pads, they send me back to when my mom was buying them lol. Are there any brands/kinds that you STM+ have liked? Or ones that you hated? I'm trying to get things squared away for when we get home and stocking up on PP needs.
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For like giant pads I didn't stock up- just used what they gave me at the hospital and they sent me home with almost a full pack. I didn't even use them all. after that I was able to use just like regular pads. I used like always ones that are thinner but hold a good amount. I never felt like it wasn't enough. Just maybe for bedtime make sure you have ones that are long and winged. But really you'll be up in the middle of the night to feed baby, so it's not like you need something ginormous. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @becbec28 always infinity! I HATE pads and only use them pp but these aren't so bad, thin but hold a good amount. 
  • Options
    @becbec28 I hate the super thick pads too, but for some reason they feel safer to me right after delivery so I will use them for while the bleeding is at its worst... then like @LC12261012 said I love Always infinity... I buy both pads and tampons for my periods and when I use pads I always get the always infinity in overnight. They are really long so you won't have to worry about a leak going up front or down the back. Also they are super thin enough that I hardly notice them and they somehow absorb like a champ... (I honestly gave a few to all my family because they all think that the thin ones don't work lol.) The ones with "radiant" are scented, the non radiant are unscented.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lol @WinchesterGirl does it have anything to do with scented or not scented? My mom constantly lectures me about any kind of tampons and scented pads because she was allergic to both and seems to think I would be too haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    +infinity for always infinity. They smell weird though. 
  • Options
    @kswiger06 You know, I have no idea if it could have been a scent issue! I usually just get carefree and haven't had an issue with them.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @leslie1331 I just asked for some recommendations on breastpads on the breastfeeding thread -- that might help!
  • Options
    @leslie1331 I was on government insurance with my other kids, so I'm not sure if you would get charged for things the hospital has or not, but things I had available to me to take home was a sitz bath, witch hazel pads, some kind of numbing spray, the peri bottle, and I think samples of different nipped creams... just because if it's free why not. But maybe it's a good idea to look into those gel type ice bags? I always just used a bag of ice, but I was thinking about getting some gel ice stuff and just zipping them in a plastic baggie as a cover so I can just throw the plastic baggie away and still reuse the gel thing instead of having a bag of leaking ice water lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @leslie1331 I just asked for some recommendations on breastpads on the breastfeeding thread -- that might help!

You putting that up reminded me of this stuff- I was literally looking up pads when you put that up!

And good call @kswiger06, maybe I will ask my OB if she knows what the hospital will give me first.  I will totally grab everything they give me, but I wasn't sure if I should have stuff on hand too!

• Options
    As far as postpartum pads went, I liked the gigantic cotton ones from Stayfree.  The Always ones that were thinner seemed to irritate my already sensitive lady bits.  You definitely don't want scented for postpartum. 

I am a Mama Cloth user outside of postpartum, so as soon as I can switch after the initial few days I will.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Partyof6? How do you like the mama cloth?
  • Options
    Anyone have personal experience with Nitrous Oxide during labor? My birth center has it as an option, and I'm really looking forward to it as an option to take the edge off. 
  • Options
    Thinking of @leslie1331's postpartum list, how common is it these days that the hospital provides all of that?
    When my son was born 4 years ago, I was given dermoplast, Tucks pads, preparation H cream, lanolin cream, and some (not many) big pads. I guess I don't really know if it was free or charged for in my hospital bill?
    But do most hospitals give you all that stuff or was mine unusual?
    We also were sent home with 2 packs of pampers swaddlers, even though we were cloth diapering. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @freshbakedbrownies my hospital didn't really send me with anything so I wouldn't bank on it but it does seem to be super common to go home with lots of stuff!
  • Options
    @kjd291 I used nitrous during labor. I didn't use anything else so I don't have anything to compare it to but I found it helpful. It definitely didn't block pain but it took the edge off and allowed me to relax my lower body so she could progress downward. I didn't want to use narcotics because I didn't want my preemie any sleepier than she already would be, so I liked that the effects wore off as soon as I took the mask away. I only used it during transition, while pushing I needed to be able to focus. It made contractions more bearable, but I wouldn't say it relieved the pain.
  • Options
    Does/ has anyone used a seat protector in their backseat? Like for their dog. We need to use one because our dog has anxiety and having the hammock there helps her in the car. Plus I have a lease and I want to protect the seats. Anyway, I got a new one that unzips in the middle on the hammock part so the dog can have that but I can still put the car seat in. I went to the installation/inspection yesterday and they lady was like "um what is all of this? We can't install the car seat with this here". Which I do understand but it's something we need. It is just a piece of fabric over the bottom of the seat on the car seat side. She also said "the baby and dog should never ride in the car together because in the event of a crash, the dog is a projectile and could fly onto the baby". How are we supposed to go places if the 2 cant ride together? I feel like people have dogs and babies and make it work?
  • Options
  • Options
    @jlellis603 I never thought about it, but I wonder if you can restrain your dog and that would be okay? I have little dogs and we drive a lot. So I have them in their harnesses and then bought a tether thing from Petmart that I tie around a buckled seat belt. (Bottom one so it's more secure and it clips to the harness like a lease does.) I have had to stop suddenly for a deer and they didn't budge more than an inch or so. 

But, I never thought about this!!!!
  • Options
    @jlellis603 We're sticking with the 'have a dog and a kid and make it work' program. Emma has the back compartment/trunk in the crossover, but same idea. I'm sure at some point everyone has transported a suitcase or a gallon of milk or something that wouldn't be ideal in a wreck.... but nothing is ideal about that case.

Your inspection has me worried about this thing we got: 

I wonder if that's also not going to be allowed?
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @leslie1331 our dog is 50 lbs or so and has anxiety so we can't tether her to anything. That's why I have the hammock in the first place: it makes her feel safe and it keeps her from falling on the floor haha. She'll be okay in my fiancé's jeep since she can just go in the way back, but I drive a sedan so that isn't an option. I don't see too many instances where the dog will projectile onto the baby unless the car is flipped (knock on wood eeek) and, to be honest, after I put the car seat in yesterday, she has been the calmest I've seen her in a while riding in there. I'm hoping it's okay. And as far as it interfering with the car seat, it really is only a piece of fabric underneath and the seat still seems to be snug and correct. Who knows!
  • Options
    Thanks @homemake that makes me feel better about doing what I gotta do. I know the lady was only doing/saying what she was supposed to, it was just so strange to hear. But of course my goal is safety all around!
  • Options
    We also have two 50+lb dogs and will be in camp "make it work". If we're in a bad enough accident that the dogs suddenly are projectiles,  they would probably end up more injured than the kid or we're all going to be pretty banged up. Really though, everything is a hazard and you can't protect yourself from all hazards. I am glad you brought this up @jlellis603 so I thought about it!
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking @Patience7150 ! My doggo will probably get more injured than anyone else in the car in that situation (:(). Maybe i'll just have to trade cars with my fiancé and take the Jeep everywhere ;)
  • Options
    FTM but we have two boxers who are very large dogs and they are our babies and we take them everywhere.  We have seatbelts for each of them and they sit in the backseat with seatbelt harnesses.  One of our dogs is extremely anxious about being in the car and the harness actually makes her feel more secure (once she got used to it).  They can also move around a bit - move from sitting to lying down - so they aren't uncomfortable on long trips.  For us it is mostly about our dogs safety than anything else.  But we go on regular weekend trips with our dogs where we are on the freeway for a couple of hours at a time, and I just don't feel comfortable with them loose in the backseat if we got in any kind of accident.
  • Options
    I want a boxer SO badly. 

• Options
    @Spicyweiner get one!  They are the absolute best ever!  They are great with families and are the sweetest silliest goofballs you've ever seen.  I'm biased because they are the only dogs I've ever had, but really we are like head over heels for our dogs.  They just need lots of exercise and a yard to run around, so that is key to them being well behaved.
  • Options
    lemieuxk said:
    @kjd291 I used nitrous during labor. I didn't use anything else so I don't have anything to compare it to but I found it helpful. It definitely didn't block pain but it took the edge off and allowed me to relax my lower body so she could progress downward. I didn't want to use narcotics because I didn't want my preemie any sleepier than she already would be, so I liked that the effects wore off as soon as I took the mask away. I only used it during transition, while pushing I needed to be able to focus. It made contractions more bearable, but I wouldn't say it relieved the pain.
    i asked my OB about this and said nitrous WOULD affect the baby and that she'd never heard of it for labor. Anyone else get info about this?
  • Options
    @MommaBean I personally haven't had any experience with nitrous oxide, but I was recently chatting with my neighbor about it. He manages a doctors' office and recently moved here to the states from Australia. He said it it pretty common there for use during labor and was surprised it isn't used as much here. 
  • Options
    My hospital also offers nitrous, and I understand that it is very common in europe and other places, but not as common in the states for labor.  My OB recommended it as something that would help temporarily take the edge off, if you felt like you didn't want to get an epidural, but were struggling during active labor/transition.
  • Options
    @MissMerciBeaucoup that's exactly why it appealed to me - to take the edge off. Doc looked at me like I had two heads.