December 2016 Moms

Stupid Questions December

1234568»

Re: Stupid Questions December

• Thanks ladies. If it weren't crappy out I'd just try to make sure he was getting enough time outside. I'm going to look into some other options for drops, seems like there are plenty of natural options.
  • We've always been told we need to use the VitD drops- we just get them OTC at the grocery, in the same section as baby formula
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had never heard of vitamin d drops being required and this is my second kid. Maybe in AZ it's assumed we get enough from being outside? 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @gowencCarlson Labs Super Daily D3 for Baby 400IU Supplement, 1 drop on the nipple vs that entire syringe of icky stuff. 
  • This isn't exactly a 'stupid' question but I'm not sure where else to put it...
    After a week of bright green diarrhea and extreme straining to have even a little BM (that the nurse practitioner said sounded normal when I called on day 2), baby girl had some blood in her dirty diapers on Saturday so we went in to urgent care. They told me she might be having a reaction to dairy proteins that I'm eating that she is getting through my breast milk, so now I'm trying to cut out all dairy products. They said we should take her to her regular pedi this week, and that it might take a week or so to see if this is really what's going on. 
    Anyone else ever dealt with this? I'm frustrated. I feel bad that DD is so uncomfortable and it's kind of my fault, and now that I'm thinking about it, I realize milk products or proteins are in almost everything and I'm hungry!
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • @jandd2014 are you sure the blood is related to the BMs? I was warned that our daughter may have some bloody diapers because of the hormones i passed to her during pregnancy, and not to panic. I don't know if it passes only when straining or if it would pass during normal urination/wet diapers too? I would probably call my pediatrician to ask about that. Do they have a Q&A line you can reach?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @jandd2014 could also be oversupply with fore/hind milk imbalance. Or the blood could be a small rectal fissure from straining too. If you are nursing both sides, try just one side so it gets completely empty.  
  • @ea301 and @zubenescamali thanks for your responses. I called two different advice nurse lines before taking her to urgent care, both recommended taking her in but didn't offer any thoughts on a cause for the blood. It was definitively in her poop (she went while I was changing her).The nurse practitioner checked her for visible tears when we went in but didn't see any. We talked about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but she didn't think that was what was happening from what I told her. But we'll see what the pedi says when we get in to see her. They were closed today for Christmas.
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Aw poor baby! That would definitely freak me out if I saw it while I was changing her. I hope the pediatrician is able to help! In the meantime, hang in there... I would suggest lots of nuts, veggies, and fruit since you are trying to avoid dairy. I know what you mean, it's in everything. Really sucks to have to eliminate from your diet. I hope it ends up being something less drastic for your sake!

• @jandd2014 I'm sorry that's happening right now- hang in there! 
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • When do you know when to change diaper sizes? Wyatt is wearing newborns and they fit well but wondering if a size 1 is in the near future.

He weighs under 10 still, just not sure on the exact number. They seem to be OK now but have had a couple leaks due to us. It changing him often a couple days, when we increased his food ounces.

I have quite a few NB sizes left and wonder if we should just finish those up and move on?

My mom also has some NB at her place for him so thinking of having the rest brought over to use up and having her buy a small pack of 1s in case were over or we just bring the diapers until he's in a size a little longer.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• @kacie209 For us it was when we were having a lot of leaks. She was about 8 pounds when we switched. At first the ones seemed huge on her but they are fitting better now. I had bought a small pack of newborns just in case but will exchange them now. Don't forget about the diapers in the diaper bag too! I would say round up all the nbs to use and finish them out.
  • @Kacie209 we switch when they get hard to do up. E is still in nbs but I'll switch her today as overnight changes were difficult.

L is ~36lbs and still in a size 3 as that's what fits right now.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @jandd2014 one of my boys had blood in his stool here in the PICU.  He had been straining but they did a full run of testing (they were doing that anyway do to their condition).  It stopped as quickly as it started and we are assuming it was a fissure (little tear somewhere).  It could be an allergy or intolerance, but it could also be a small tear that can resolve quickly in its own.  Hang in there! 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• When your baby has a blowout and there is poop all over something - do you rinse it first or put it straight in the wash?  I know with cloth diapers you run the load first with just water to rinse out all the poop and then you do a load with soap.  Do you bother doing this with clothes or other things that have poop all over them?
  • When your baby has a blowout and there is poop all over something - do you rinse it first or put it straight in the wash?  I know with cloth diapers you run the load first with just water to rinse out all the poop and then you do a load with soap.  Do you bother doing this with clothes or other things that have poop all over them?
    Depends on how much poop but generally straight in the wash. Also with CDs ive never done a rinse load first but my washer has a "2nd rinse" option that we use. newborn poop is pretty inconsequential and as they get older you plop the poop in the toilet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • ^This. Especially if it's BM poops. They are completely water soluble, so no need to do anything extra.

• I rinse but don't wash right away. I wait until I have enough baby stuff for a load..once a week usually. If I don't rinse it doesn't wash out as well.
  • Does anyone know if having an anterior placenta leads to more post partum pain? I remember reading somewhere that placenta location can affect a lot of factors with birth. I've had posterior placentas with my first two but this time around my belly just feels...raw. It's hard to describe but different. I'm sure it could just be because of the PPH and clots but I'm just curious
  • @zubenescamali - I had anterior with DS and posterior with this one. Pain has been worse this time for sure
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Does anyone know if having an anterior placenta leads to more post partum pain? I remember reading somewhere that placenta location can affect a lot of factors with birth. I've had posterior placentas with my first two but this time around my belly just feels...raw. It's hard to describe but different. I'm sure it could just be because of the PPH and clots but I'm just curious
    Same, I had posterior placentas with my first two pregnancies, and an anterior with this one. I know what you mean, and I have had more pain than the others. But it could also be partly due to pp complications that I've had. The space below my belly button is just super sensitive still.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I know you can't spoil a baby, but...you can't spoil a baby right? 

Scarlett is 6.5 weeks old. Still eats every 2 hours around the clock. Occasionally goes 3 during the day if she's held during a nap or she's asleep in the car seat and we're out and about. Tried bottles to feed more potentially but doesn't matter. I'm okay feeding her in the night if she's hungry. It's frustrating though that she does not let us lay her down. She lasts about 10-15 minutes during the day for a nap in her bassinet. Hold her and she sleeps for hours. Tried the swing, same. Bought a rock n play, same so returned it. Also doesn't sleep well in the bassinet at night so I end up putting her in bed with us, but that makes me nervous. I fear that now we're starting bad habits. 
  • @cgss11 Why would her sleeping on you/in your bed be a bad habit? These first couple (4-6) months are really about survival.

Anecdotal, but L slept in our bed, being held/snuggled by H or I - at night - until he was 1 year. Now at 17 months he heads to his bed for every nap and bedtime as soon as he gets tired. Your can always break habit later, but you can't always get sleep later.

• @kate08young Just that we're picking her up/holding/bedsharing so much now that she's really not gonna adjust and stay in her bassinet. 

Realistically I know she can't be spoiled, but man, it's tough. I didn't expect to still have such frequent waking this far in. But you are so right, can't get sleep later.
  • @cgss11 reading my mind! I keep feeling like Nat is developing bad habits but sometimes the only way she will sleep is if im holding her to my chest :confused: 

Thank you @Kate08Young for the reminder. Its hard to look at the big picture sometimes. I feel like shes so old already but shes not even 7 wks yet... still very much a newborn even though shes starting to look like a "real" baby.

• Did anyone get any directions or told not to take a bath PP? 
    When I was discharged my nurse told me no baths but I can't remember if she said for how long... 
     Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• ea301ea301 member
    edited December 2016
    @sheshae ours said no submerging in water until the cord stump fell off. Only sponge baths til then. 

Or do you mean for you? My ob said no bath for 6 wks 

• @cgss11 - you can't spoil a baby. Don't worry about it.  Agree with @Kate08Young -you've got to survive this time and you can't do it without sleep.  With that said, if you really want LO sleeping elsewhere, I'd suggest you keep trying to put her down in the bassinet (or wherever).  Try putting her down fully awake and play with her in there, so that she gets used to it.  Try putting her down partially asleep and fully asleep and see how long she'll stay - and do it during the day when you're not so tired that her waking up after a few mins and needing to be put to sleep again is going to be really frustrating.  It took us a while to get our LO to stay asleep the bassinet and he still won't always stay in there but he does sleep in there pretty consistently now (although 1-2 nights ago I had to hold him all night again).  
  • @cgss11 with each baby, it's a roll of the dice when it comes to how well they'll sleep. DD1 was a pretty average baby, but DD2 sounds like your Scarlett. Every 2 hrs for months! she did sleep more eventually but she slept best when she was in bed with me. She didn't really sleep through the night until she was about 9 months and even then she would wake at night a few times a week. She is 5 now, and still wants to sleep in our bed, luckily we can convince her that her bed is great. But she still comes into our bed at night at least once a week. 
    @Kate08Young is spot on, it's really about survival. My DS is the best sleeper out of all 3 of my kids but he still ends up in bed with me a couple times a week... so far. I know we will end up spending many a nights together, it's why I left a regular bed in his nursery! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @ea301 for myself lol

I just miss my bath sometimes
     Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4