December 2016 Moms
Options

Stupid Questions December

Re: Stupid Questions December

• Options
    @DiFazette  I was always told that lemon sized and up accompanied by bright red blood is a warning sign that something isn't right. However, if you're worried please call the doc as I have not gone to medical school I just remember what I was told with my DS. 

• Options
    @jennbaylor12 Definietly check for fever. Even if it's not caused my matastisis, postpartum fevers are to be taken seriously. My class told us to call OB with anything over 100 degrees to be safe. Could be nothing, but better safe than sorry. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jennbaylor12 mine me started with the chills, body aches and a very sore breast.  I chalked it up to thrush since I never had that before and didn't know how painful it was.  Then my breast turned red and hot to the touch.  Maybe put in a call to your OB to see if they'll call in antibiotics?  Not something you want to ignore if it is mastitis.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    @jennbaylor12 all four times I have had mastitis I have had chills and rigors before them temp and the redness and pain didn't start until a day later.  

• Options
    For those pumping: how do you know when you are done? Does milk completely stop coming out or just slow way down to single drops? 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @sourlemon I just put a timer on 15 minutes and stop when it goes off--works well for me.
  • Options
    @sourlemon For me, it seems like it slows down to barely a trickle around 1 oz, so I just call it good at that point.

I'm on day 5 of breastfeeding - how much is everyone else getting? I felt a little let down that that's all I'm getting out of each boob, but I read that it does increase as time goes on. 
  • Options
    @sourlemon I completely stopped leaking. However, many ladies don't stop they just slow down to drop. The reason is that you are never truly empty.

Can you set a 15-20 min timer and see how you are doing then(if your milk is fully in)?

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    sourlemon said:
    For those pumping: how do you know when you are done? Does milk completely stop coming out or just slow way down to single drops? 

Generally I stop when my breast feels "empty"... is that totally crazy?
     I guess I'd say when just drops are coming, because it's my understanding that something would likely always come due to milk production being a continual thing... but really it's more about when I'm sick of sitting there. 
    That said I'm not an avid pumper... only for outings (like a date night) or car trips. Plus I have a lapis enzymes issue and I have to scald milk before freezing so it's just a major pain and not worth it to me. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Options
    Yup. Mastitis. Awesome. :cry:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Will check that site @jennbaylor12. I hadn't even thought of it as a pumping site...just breastfeeding. Off to the other interwebz! 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    I pump every three hours for 15 minutes. 
  • Options
    Sometimes my drips would stop and I'd be able to massage a good amount more out. Just mentioning that
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    @Lisa3379 I got 6 oz today in one double pumping session and felt pretty proud of myself. I'd say my average is about 4 oz per session... sometimes more, sometimes less. 

• Options
    @jennbaylor12 sorry girl.  I feel your pain quite literally.  Take care of yourself.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    Plugged ducts here... sitting here with a heating pad hoping they dont progress...

• Options
    sourlemon said:
    @DiFazette yes the RCS experience itself was "great"...for major surgery and all. Still scary for me. I was so nervous I was dripping sweat when they were doing the spinal. But I was just scared. The experience was calm and I got to see and touch the baby. I couldn't hold her because I had tell shakes AND my carpel tunnel was so bad I had no feeling in my hands. But so so different! 

My doc was a bit surprised that my pain level is still high on discharge. I was still taking everything allowed for ibuprofen and percoset. He said usually the second one isn't as bad because there isn't all that labor before. Moving is easier to me cuz I know how to brace better and stuff, but the actual pain has been way worse. But it's getting a little better. 

My stupid question: does instant oatmeal help with milk production or only regular? We have tons of instant packets so I'm hoping that will help. My baby is currently 90% formula fed but I want to pump when my to get that number down some when my milk comes in. I never produced anything I think dd1 so this is all new to me.
    The carpel tunnel in my one of my hands was really bad and I couldn't feel it during, or for about 3 hours after surgery. 
    I think it's funny that the doctors have a 'usually' for everything. Like pain is way better the 2nd time. I will admit that my 2nd cs was easier than my 1st, but my 3rd - recovery so far is about on par with my 1st. Although I did labor for a few hours before. Healing with my 3rd has not been going as planned or expected at all. I almost didn't get sent home for a few reasons today, but I think I might heal better at home with more rest. We will see. 

@R0824H - comment about baby size a. Purple days ago- she was about what they estimated. The dr guessed about 8 1/2 lbs, and DD was 8 lbs 11oz. But with a 16 inch head. 

I cant remember who asked, but what to pack for wearing home from hospital. Definitely big, comfy clothes. I packed maternity clothes that were too big for me, and get yourself some granny panties. 

Re- night sweats lasted at least 3 months for me. If not longer. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    What kind of signs/symptoms did y'all have before going into labor? 
    I think I've been in pre-labor for the last two weeks. My due date is Tuesday 12/13. 
    I started losing my MP about 3 days ago. It was thick and clear and a jelly like consistency. I've had cramps in my lower back for the last week and that's usually where I have period cramps when I'm on my period. I very rarely have stomach pains. I feel mild contractions every so often but they aren't extremely painful but they do hurt. I've had a headache going on 3 days and no history of Pre-e or Gestational diabetes. I actually have low blood sugar. Cracking my neck doesn't help and it usually does if I get a headache. Taking a hot bath or shower doesn't help with the back pain or contractions. The baby droppec already and it's super uncomfortable and feels like I'm having muscle spasms in my lady bits. My BMs have been more frequent and easier. & I pee slot more and for some reason when I sleep at night I feel like I'm leaking and wake up soaked and it's not sweat or pee because I get up multiple times in the night to empty my bladder. Hopefully if he plans on coming before his due date he will come tonight or today because I know my husband wants to go with his father somewhere an hour away and I don't want to give birth in a hospital an hour away from home. 
  • Options
    How often do you give baby a bath?
  • Options
    @dmontgo I read something in one of my books that said every other day because if you bathe them too much it will dry their skin out 
  • Options
    @dmontgo I only bathe them weekly (or 2x a week) unless they have a blow out or require it ... but it's really dry where we live. 

• Options
    Yep I'm in the desert. We've been doing once a week. 
  • Options
    Do you use lotion on them afterwards, like Aquaphor? Ashton's skin is dry.
  • Options
    E has has 1 bath and it was in the hospital. We did the same with L until he was ~6 months old. Now he gets 2-3 per day because Nutella/bananas/anything he can get his hands on.

• Options
    Baby's skin is prone to drying out during the postpartum period (and is their hair). It is common for them to flake, peel and generally go through transiton. Less is more. Plus, other than their bootie and neck (or other creases) they normally don't get dirty... just make sure and clean out their neck daily ... it can get very raw and stinky! 
    I use either regular coconut oil or Shea moisture brand baby emollient. Most other "creams" are chalked full of chemicals and crap. Aquaphor might work well, it might also not have enough oil in it. 

• Options
    When you pump do you do both sides at once? If so, do you store both containers of milk together? Do you make sure your storage bags have an even amount (2 oz, 4 oz etc)?
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @temmetime i try to do both at once and combine into one container for storage. One thing my LC told me was that you shouldnt add room temp/warm milk to the cold milk in the fridge. Kinda obvious but i didnt think about it. I do keep the bottles full for storage (all the same amount) and havent used bags yet. I think i need to get some. 

• Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    edited December 2016
    I'm blowing up this thread today, but tips for aggressive eaters? Ashton isn't fussing or anything, but he eats so aggressively that as soon as he finishes, he spits a huge amount up. I give him breaks during the feeding so he isn't pounding it all at once, I burp him, and I sit him up so he can digest, and it still doesn't make a difference.

It doesn't seem to cause him any pain, but I feel like he's more hungry because he's not absorbing everything he eats. Any tips or experiences? Kind of frustrating. 

ETA: I breastfeed and pump
  • Options
    @dmontgo for the newborn stage, less is absolutely more as far as bathing goes. I think we only did about 2x / week with DD1. Coconut oil is a great, natural moisturizer. DD1 has super sensitive skin, so early on we made the switch to Baby Aveeno for all things soap and moisturizer related. It worked really well for us, but some of that dry, flakiness you've just got to wait out. Baby skin does crazy things early on!

as far as the eating/spitting up.. I'd keep an eye on it. If he doesn't seem fussy or uncomfortable it could pass, otherwise it could be a sign of reflux. Also, for the bottles of pumped milk, check the flow on the nipples. You may need to adjust to a slower flow if he's getting too much all at once. We went through something similar with DD1 and just had to monitor how quickly she was sucking milk down and give her some breaks during feedings. 
    But i admittedly don't know a ton about BFing, so I can't speak to that portion of it. I'm sure others have some good experience/advice though!
  • Options
    @Kate08Young 2-3 baths A DAY?!? I can't even wrap my mind around that! Granted, my kid isn't super messy in general, but even on her messiest days we can do with 1 bath and maybe a wet wipe wipe-down if she gets into something again. That many baths a day would drive me batty. 
  • Options
    @dmontgo we are trying paced bottle feeding on recommendation of our LC. Have you heard of it? I had not... but it's interesting. The theory is that during bottle feedings, you sit the baby up and hold the bottle horizontal so that he can control the flow of milk into his mouth and cue better when he's done. Lots of videos on YouTube! Not sure how to better control when breastfeeding 

• Options
    @Christinaruth74 We use 0+ nipples...do they each have a different flow, even if meant for newborns?

@ea301 That sounds like something to try! I hadn't even thought  about that. Thanks!
  • Options
    @dmontgo depending on what bottles you use, they should! We have tommee tippee and there are 2 options for the 0+, one of which is a slower flow. 

@ea301 that's really helpful! I've never heard of that before but totally makes sense. 
  • Options
    @Kate08Young 2-3 baths A DAY?!? I can't even wrap my mind around that! Granted, my kid isn't super messy in general, but even on her messiest days we can do with 1 bath and maybe a wet wipe wipe-down if she gets into something again. That many baths a day would drive me batty. 
    We just did bath #1. Handfuls of Nutella bread down the front of his diaper, and in his hair.

He also has to have one for bed. If he doesn't he only naps all night.

• Options
    ea301ea301 member
    edited December 2016
    @dmontgo So glad it worked for you!

@atcwag great article! I agree, it makes so much more sense to feed this way 

• Options
    gowencgowenc member
    edited December 2016
    Question for STMs (or FTMs who've had this issue): at what point should I worry that my 1-week old has very runny diarrhea? He's had 3 runny ones since last night. No sign of fever or other symptoms, so I'm wondering if he's sensitive to something I ate. I was very allergic to dairy and soy as a baby so I'm kind of on edge looking for that stuff, but maybe I'm just being a little paranoid?
  • Options
    @gowenc are you sure it's diarrhea? I was wondering myself the other day is runny poop was normal in the first week, and it seems like it is. 

Have you checked out this article? It comes with pictures: https://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-poop-a-complete-guide_10319333.bc